2016-2017 New York University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They had something that sounded similar to PBL, but wasn't called that (may have been called "conferences?" -- I think it started with a C). The students mentioned that they liked it and it sounded like it met once or twice a week, but the school didn't really seem to emphasize it in their presentation as much as other schools may emphasize PBL so I'm not sure how prevalent it is.

Ok cool, so some of that and some traditional lectures?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question. So I interviewed here a month ago, and I thought I did very well on the MMI (most of the questions I had seen before/prepared for or thought I answered them objectively well). I have low stats for this school (LM 70), and so my question is when they make a decision on who they are accepting, do they look at everything again? (i.e stats and MMI performance). Or is it the case that once someone is granted an interview, the stats are good enough and the only thing they look at now is interview performance. I'm very anxious because I believe in my heart if it is the latter, I will get in, but if its the former I may not because of my lower stats. Sorry this has just been bugging me for a month now and wanted to get it off my chest. Thanks!
 
Question. So I interviewed here a month ago, and I thought I did very well on the MMI (most of the questions I had seen before/prepared for or thought I answered them objectively well). I have low stats for this school (LM 70), and so my question is when they make a decision on who they are accepting, do they look at everything again? (i.e stats and MMI performance). Or is it the case that once someone is granted an interview, the stats are good enough and the only thing they look at now is interview performance. I'm very anxious because I believe in my heart if it is the latter, I will get in, but if its the former I may not because of my lower stats. Sorry this has just been bugging me for a month now and wanted to get it off my chest. Thanks!
There is absolutely no way to know unless the school tells you on interview day. However, I had like 4 schools (top tier) straight up tell me that it's the former. One even said the interview is the least important part for them. I personally believe that schools already know who they are going to accept (pretty much) before an interview. The interview is just to filter out the liers and the weirdos, and then filter in the ones that really stand out in person, but not necessarily on paper.

That being said, you did alll you could. You prepped and did well. Whether you are accepted or rejected, there's no way to tel what the reason is, unless you call and ask and they telll you. Maybe you get in not because of the MMI, but because of this 1 random EC that stands out. Maybe you don't get in because one person didn't like your answer to an MMI question.

WDIT: just wanted to say that every school is different, so NYU may have a completely different philosophy from the 4 schools.
 
Question. So I interviewed here a month ago, and I thought I did very well on the MMI (most of the questions I had seen before/prepared for or thought I answered them objectively well). I have low stats for this school (LM 70), and so my question is when they make a decision on who they are accepting, do they look at everything again? (i.e stats and MMI performance). Or is it the case that once someone is granted an interview, the stats are good enough and the only thing they look at now is interview performance. I'm very anxious because I believe in my heart if it is the latter, I will get in, but if its the former I may not because of my lower stats. Sorry this has just been bugging me for a month now and wanted to get it off my chest. Thanks!

I feel like for most schools they review everything again. In the same way that stats and a resume can't and shouldn't account for a candidate's complete holistic picture, neither can a couple of interviews. In some way, people can argue that what you have to show over 4-5 years of time and hard work should be much more important than a couple of short interactions with interviewers.

But really at this point all you can do is do your best on the interview, which you've clearly done! So you should be confident that you put your best foot forward.

+1 to what @Iwannaknow said
 
If the last set of interviews are in mid December, is there any chance perhaps they will let us know before the end of January? I mean I'm sure they already know some of the people they are accepting, and Idk if they'll require more than a month to make the latter decisions.

Sorry for being a little neurotic, I just want to know my fate ASAP so I can know to withdraw from some far interviews I have scheduled in January that I don't really wish to attend/spend the money traveling. An acceptance, or lack there of, would make my future much less cloudy.

Thanks guys
 
If the last set of interviews are in mid December, is there any chance perhaps they will let us know before the end of January? I mean I'm sure they already know some of the people they are accepting, and Idk if they'll require more than a month to make the latter decisions.

Sorry for being a little neurotic, I just want to know my fate ASAP so I can know to withdraw from some far interviews I have scheduled in January that I don't really wish to attend/spend the money traveling. An acceptance, or lack there of, would make my future much less cloudy.

Thanks guys
They said the 21st by the latest, I'm sure they'll let us know earlier than that.
 
Guess if we haven't heard by now it's over 🙁 sucks cause I've always wanted to live in NYC and I have friends that live there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it confirmed that they are ending their interviews on December 15th?

Last year their last interview day was December 18th. Students were still getting interviews up until the 4th but then on the 16th it was an absolute bloodbath ppl were getting axed left and right
 
Last year their last interview day was December 18th. Students were still getting interviews up until the 4th but then on the 16th it was an absolute bloodbath ppl were getting axed left and right
Dang, looks like tomorrow MAY be the last day, and then rejection is imminent. Sad because I didn't realize how badly I wanted to go to New York until I went there. But no New York school has given me love 🙁

Residency hopefully!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If that's the case, it's pretty safe to say they won't send out any more interview invites at this point.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I think this year maybe they are ending early in January bc of the combined 3 year md and residency? Since they said they would start the vetting process for the residency after January when regular applications are finished

Just a thought though
 
Dang, looks like tomorrow MAY be the last day, and then rejection is imminent. Sad because I didn't realize how badly I wanted to go to New York until I went there recently. But not New York school has given me love 🙁

Residency hopefully!

I feel the same way about cali schools my friend
 
Dang, looks like tomorrow MAY be the last day, and then rejection is imminent. Sad because I didn't realize how badly I wanted to go to New York until I went there recently. But not New York school has given me love 🙁

Residency hopefully!

I'm going to school and living in Manhattan, and it's an incredible city!!! There are quite a few schools in the NYC area, hopefully you get IIs to some of them!
 
what's the closest bus/subway stop to the school? is a cab the best option?

cab works but can be pretty expensive. if you uberpool in the morning between like 7-10AM it's $5 flat (manhattan only) so that works well. otherwise subway you're probably looking at 33rd st on the 6 train
 
I'm going to school and living in Manhattan, and it's an incredible city!!! There are quite a few schools in the NYC area, hopefully you get IIs to some of them!
Hopefully! I think I'm out of the running for 2 at this point, which leaves 2 more!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad