2016-2017 New York University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How important do you guys think is the MMI? It seems like NYU uses some kind of formulas to evaluate the applicants,then what portion does the interview counts?

I would think it holds plenty of weight. If you think about it NYU is a very competitive school, and nearly 9 out of every 10 people who apply to NYU get rejected pre II (They interview 13% of completed apps). That means to even get an interview, they have to be pretty darn impressed with your app (think about it, you are theoretically beating out 9 other people). I don't see how they would be able to differentiate much between applicants post interview with the exception of how well you did on the MMI (Because as I have already mentioned, they basically have to already love you to give you an interview). I can't imagine them being like "oh his MMI is great, but his MCAT could be a little bit higher". Because if that's the case, why would they have even wasted their time and money interviewing you if your MCAT was going to be a hurdle down the road... Isn't that the whole point of rejection pre-II?

I would think they most likely create an internal ranking system based on MMI performance (which has been shown to be a strong predictor of Step 2 performance). And then I would assume they would make sure the rest of your app checks out and that you fit the mold of what they're looking for in the class. But I can't see them factoring in strongly grades/EC's/Recs because like I said before, they should have already screened for those... and if you made it to the interview, they should have been good enough to garner acceptance.

Just my take. What do you guys think? I'm curious to know this aswell.
 
I would think it holds plenty of weight. If you think about it NYU is a very competitive school, and nearly 9 out of every 10 people who apply to NYU get rejected pre II (They interview 13% of completed apps). That means to even get an interview, they have to be pretty darn impressed with your app (think about it, you are theoretically beating out 9 other people). I don't see how they would be able to differentiate much between applicants post interview with the exception of how well you did on the MMI (Because as I have already mentioned, they basically have to already love you to give you an interview). I can't imagine them being like "oh his MMI is great, but his MCAT could be a little bit higher". Because if that's the case, why would they have even wasted their time and money interviewing you if your MCAT was going to be a hurdle down the road... Isn't that the whole point of rejection pre-II?

I would think they most likely create an internal ranking system based on MMI performance (which has been shown to be a strong predictor of Step 2 performance). And then I would assume they would make sure the rest of your app checks out and that you fit the mold of what they're looking for in the class. But I can't see them factoring in strongly grades/EC's/Recs because like I said before, they should have already screened for those... and if you made it to the interview, they should have been good enough to garner acceptance.

Just my take. What do you guys think? I'm curious to know this aswell.


LizzyM staircase analogy: "Imagine that people are standing on a huge staircase with those who have the highest stats and the most remarkable experiences at the top stair and downward to the least among those who are interviewed. After the interview, the applicants can keep their place on their original stair, go up a step or two or go down a step or many steps. In most cases, the people with the highest stats are still at the top but some are sent to the bottom step and some people move up or down according to their performance."

Obviously it is school dependent, but this makes the most sense. Applicants don't all arrive at the interview on equal footing.
 
I know it's closing in on final decision time for the admissions committee, but are you guys sending in your fall grades? I just got mine back, and did well enough so that I want them to know. I also made some headway with my job and volunteering stuff since the interview. You reckon it would be worth sending an update as a supplementary document?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know it's closing in on final decision time for the admissions committee, but are you guys sending in your fall grades? I just got mine back, and did well enough so that I want them to know. I also made some headway with my job and volunteering stuff since the interview. You reckon it would be worth sending an update as a supplementary document?
It might not help, but I'm sure it won't hurt, so I would send an update! On interview day, current students said NYU likes updates

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile
 
I have accepted the fact that I will not get an acceptance at NYU. 😉

Please don't throw around the word accepted in a thread like this you've got me like

chest-pain.gif
hqdefault.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NYU hasn't tweeted that decisions are going out, which I believe they have done in previous years...

Sometimes they have sent out acceptances and then tweeted at the end of the day "Congratulations to all who were accepted today..." or something like that. But yes, usually they have tweeted out at the beginning of the day something to the snarky effect of "Acceptances going out today, be sure to check your emails".
 
Guys, I know this is easier said than done, but it's healthy to get off SDN and your email and do other things. Just accept that decisions will come when they come and obsessing over it won't change any of that. So might as well just forget about decision dates and just go about your life as though you weren't applying to med school. Then when it comes, it'll be a pleasant surprise.