2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Does OHSU accept application updates or LOIs after 4/30?
We were told at the interview that you can try to send stuff if it's right after your interview, but after they have put in a score, then nothing extra will change your status.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why do you think you heard back so soon? Do you have an exceptional GPA, MCAT, or did the interview go very well? I'm just wondering, I know this might be TMI and none of my business, but I figured it couldn't hurt asking (dont feel obliged to reply) 🙂 I really want to go here and I hope I haven't been rejected and just not notified!

They said most people won't hear back until April 30th! Fingers crossed for you

thi
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why do you think you heard back so soon? Do you have an exceptional GPA, MCAT, or did the interview go very well? I'm just wondering, I know this might be TMI and none of my business, but I figured it couldn't hurt asking (dont feel obliged to reply) 🙂 I really want to go here and I hope I haven't been rejected and just not notified!



thi
We were told at the interview that the portal updates faster than the email, and you only get an email if you got accepted, otherwise it's portal only. Good luck!
 
Why do you think you heard back so soon? Do you have an exceptional GPA, MCAT, or did the interview go very well? I'm just wondering, I know this might be TMI and none of my business, but I figured it couldn't hurt asking (dont feel obliged to reply) 🙂 I really want to go here and I hope I haven't been rejected and just not notified!



thi

No worries. I'm not sure why I got notified early. Other people may have been too but just didn't post on here. I'm in the OHSU "exceptional" mission group, but just barely squeaked by with a LizzyM of 70-71. I have had a lot of success with interviews going on 6 acceptances out of 8 interviews now--the other two were waitlists. I know I did poorly on two of my MMI stations but I think I finished strong with the other ones including the traditional interview. I would rate my experience 7/10 on MMI and 9/10 on trad. Idk if that helps at all. send me a PM if you'd like to know anything else more "specific" haha without derailing the purpose of this thread. Really pulling for everyone. I'm not sure I can afford to attend without some help from FA as OOS tuition here is a monster :/
 
Do we think they are actually going to wait until 4/30 to update us? I was hopeful for news this week, as last year seemed to occur a few days before. But this year seems to be a new beast...

Yeah, April 30 is a Sunday so most likely sometime this week. It's been a long wait.
 
No worries. I'm not sure why I got notified early. Other people may have been too but just didn't post on here. I'm in the OHSU "exceptional" mission group, but just barely squeaked by with a LizzyM of 70-71. I have had a lot of success with interviews going on 6 acceptances out of 8 interviews now--the other two were waitlists. I know I did poorly on two of my MMI stations but I think I finished strong with the other ones including the traditional interview. I would rate my experience 7/10 on MMI and 9/10 on trad. Idk if that helps at all. send me a PM if you'd like to know anything else more "specific" haha without derailing the purpose of this thread. Really pulling for everyone. I'm not sure I can afford to attend without some help from FA as OOS tuition here is a monster :/

From my understanding OHSU does not do grants, and scholarships are generally awarded very last minute (like August). You can look at the tuition and fees from last year, which it should be pretty similar this year, but of course cost of living will be more since it is becoming more and more expensive to live in Portland. You basically have to max out your loans, including the grad plus loan, in order to attend OHSU, and that is with the in-state tuition. I think its something like 80k+ for out of state. They suggest private loans once you max out other loans.
 
Based on last year's thread, a ranked waitlist was sent out the last Tuesday of April (so hopefully tomorrow, today would be better). Someone who was accepted in 2015 I think made this spreadsheet of the waitlist movement. I added in 2016, which accepted up to number 44 on the waitlist. Note that this list seems to be based on what is reported on SDN only, so there could have been movement that was not reported.
 

Attachments

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here. Just having an answer would be great, but I'm also terrified of that answer :scared:

Yeah, I'm sitting on one acceptance out of state and would really like to know if I need to move out of state for school or not. I'd like to be able to get a deposit down on an apartment and start planning my move...
 
Yeah, I'm sitting on one acceptance out of state and would really like to know if I need to move out of state for school or not. I'd like to be able to get a deposit down on an apartment and start planning my move...
Right!? It's like please, have some regard for our lives. Medical school is already expensive enough, so yanking our legs with all of this nonsense. But, such is life =/
 
Just found out a friend was accepted off the of the hold pool "a couple days ago"...just passing on the info. Last year, the 26th (which was a Tuesday) was the day most of the WL went out, and it looked like most of the rejections went out the following day. Don't know how true that will hold this year....but for sure we now that someone from a hold status was accepted.
 
ftJKtyK.jpg


Me right now
 
Last edited:
Just found out a friend was accepted off the of the hold pool "a couple days ago"...just passing on the info. Last year, the 26th (which was a Tuesday) was the day most of the WL went out, and it looked like most of the rejections went out the following day. Don't know how true that will hold this year....but for sure we now that someone from a hold status was accepted.
Congratulations!
 
Just found out a friend was accepted off the of the hold pool "a couple days ago"...just passing on the info. Last year, the 26th (which was a Tuesday) was the day most of the WL went out, and it looked like most of the rejections went out the following day. Don't know how true that will hold this year....but for sure we now that someone from a hold status was accepted.
This gives me ample justification to neurotically check my portal every 10 minutes once again 🙂
 
Placed on hold just now. Did anyone get a waitlist rank? Hope they haven't released that yet and I still have a chance...
 
Placed on hold just now. Did anyone get a waitlist rank? Hope they haven't released that yet and I still have a chance...

On hold =/= waitlist. Still a chance of acceptance/rejection rather than WL.
 
Sitting on silence, not even a hold.... I'm expecting nothing more than an outright reject at this point....
 
Sitting on silence, not even a hold.... I'm expecting nothing more than an outright reject at this point....
Hang in there. We should be getting the ranked waitlist sometime this week and it seems to be around 40-50 applicants are admitted from there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hang in there guys. The wait is almost over. I remember being in your shoes (I am graduating from OHSU this year). I promise it will all be okay. Even if you have to reapply it is not the end of the world. OHSU loves re-applicants so your chances go up with reapplying. Good luck to everyone. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you all!