2016-2017 Ponce School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if Spanish is required for this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do they mean by "a portfolio is required?" Also I am not fluent in Spanish but have taken a great deal of Spanish classes throughout high school and college. Should I discontinue my application?

What do they mean by "a portfolio is required?" Also I am not fluent in Spanish but have taken a great deal of Spanish classes throughout high school and college. Should I discontinue my application?
I was wondering the same thing!! I have no idea what they mean by portfolio???!

OOS student here. Just got the email from Ponce saying they got my AMCAS application , talking about the requirements, The portfolio, etc. When do you guys think they will start inviting people for interviews ? Good luck to all!

Just got the secondary invite, which states that "you must be fluent in reading, writing and speaking Spanish or please discontinue your application now."

Would have been nice to know to begin with... I was really looking forward to this school. I have taken 4 years of Spanish, and I'm not fluent...

Just got the secondary invite, which states that "you must be fluent in reading, writing and speaking Spanish or please discontinue your application now."

Would have been nice to know to begin with... I was really looking forward to this school. I have taken 4 years of Spanish, and I'm not fluent...
I did not get a "secondary"...I got an email with an attachment that said, "Classes are taught either in English or Spanish. You must be able to speak, understand, read and write both languages. If you do not comply, we kindly suggest that you discontinue your application process by replying to this email." Then it asked for me to mail my transcripts and a money order to open a file for admissions.

Basically a collection of paperwork of activities and extracurricular that you have done. I would include a comprehensive CV, cover letter and anything you have done that can be placed on paper.

Has anyone gotten notice of an interview? or at least when interviews will commence?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten notice of an interview? or at least when interviews will commence?
I was interviewed at the beginning of October.. still waiting for the decision

if you haven't sent your transcripts directly to admissions, they won't give you an interview right?

Reactions: 1 user
if you haven't sent your transcripts directly to admissions, they won't give you an interview right?
Yes, from my understanding you won't be invited for interview until all your documents are in; which includes transcripts being sent to their admissions office.

I just got invited for an interview. OOS student here. Do you guys know if they will group me with other OOS students? Also, is the entire interview in Spanish?

Last edited:
Do you guys know when they start to send acceptance or rejection letters?

Do you guys know when they start to send acceptance or rejection letters?

During the interview we were told that they would give us an answer before the month ended. So I would estimate that they typically let you know within 2 to 4 weeks.

Cutting it super close but will be submitting my application via amcas by the end of the week!

Was told the committee is meeting today to give out acceptances to those who interviewed in October so fingers crossed! Good luck everyone!
-In state

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted!!! Just got my email yesterday, and I'm super excited :) Anybody else hear back?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else been accepted? When? Were you notified through email or mail? On what day did you interview? Thanks :)

Interviewed October 15th... Still nothing :( getting very anxious

Denied... :( Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Were they hard on you if you messed up a bit speaking Spanish? Any of the OOS that interviewed with any of you guys had bad Spanish ?

I speak perfect Spanish... I'm IS and still got denied

I speak perfect Spanish... I'm IS and still got denied
Right. Were there any OOS that interviewed with you? I'm just worried I'll mess up a little on my Spanish, and am hoping they won't make a big deal over it. I speak decently though

Right. Were there any OOS that interviewed with you? I'm just worried I'll mess up a little on my Spanish, and am hoping they won't make a big deal over it. I speak decently though

When is your interview? Mine is on Jan 20th since I had interviews in December and beginning of January. I'm also a little worried over my Spanish but it seems they focus on your whole application. I'm also OOS and I feel it's more competitive for OOS? Ionno.

When is your interview? Mine is on Jan 20th since I had interviews in December and beginning of January. I'm also a little worried over my Spanish but it seems they focus on your whole application. I'm also OOS and I feel it's more competitive for OOS? Ionno.
My interview is this Friday. It's more competitive for OOS to get an interview, but those that get an interview seem to have a better chance of getting in compared to IS once the interview is acquired. This is from what I gathered from looking at past matriculation data for Ponce. Im just hoping the more serious questions will be in English rather than Spanish.

My interview is this Friday. It's more competitive for OOS to get an interview, but those that get an interview seem to have a better chance of getting in compared to IS once the interview is acquired. This is from what I gathered from looking at past matriculation data for Ponce. Im just hoping the more serious questions will be in English rather than Spanish.

I just looked over that data and you are right. I had also asked for a student host so that I could save money on the hotel but was told they don't have that service :( I am going to be staying in a cheap hotel and take uber to the school. The flight is 500$! >.< How are your expenses looking so far?

I just looked over that data and you are right. I had also asked for a student host so that I could save money on the hotel but was told they don't have that service :( I am going to be staying in a cheap hotel and take uber to the school. The flight is 500$! >.< How are your expenses looking so far?
I actually have a lot of family in Puerto Rico, and go every year for vacation so my expenses are no different. If I did or did not have this interview, I still would have been in PR. It was fortunate that the interview date was near my vacation time

Has anyone else been accepted? When? Were you notified through email or mail? On what day did you interview? Thanks :)
I got an email and then an official letter via mail. I interviewed late October. The interview was entirely in Spanish!

Thanks, still don't know because I got a interview at another school so Im waiting for their response, what about you?
Congrats! Are you also waiting on other schools? Or are you set on going to Ponce?

I got an email and then an official letter via mail. I interviewed late October. The interview was entirely in Spanish!

Was it MMI or a multiple of traditional and group and MMI? I have gotten an interview but haven't had the time to ask them.

Llame hoy. La escuela estara cerrada hasta enero 10. Where did you interview?

Stats? How fluent r u in Spanish?

Thanks, still don't know because I got a interview at another school so Im waiting for their response, what about you?
I'm waiting for San Juan's decision, and a couple of other schools for interviews.