2016-2017 Ponce School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was a group interview!

But like was it MMI group interviews or Traditional group interview questions? I'm just trying to get a feel. I am surprised they didn't mention anything but Group Interview on my email invitation :(

Members don't see this ad.

But like was it MMI group interviews or Traditional group interview questions? I'm just trying to get a feel. I am surprised they didn't mention anything but Group Interview on my email invitation :(
It was like a traditional group interview. You sit with a group of 4-5 other people and are asked general questions. It really wasn't too bad. Make sure to bring a resume/CV that highlights your accomplishments. For a couple of questions, the interviewer asked me why I made certain choices after reviewing my resume. All questions were in Spanish. As a non-native speaker, I answered in Spanish to the best of my ability, but used English occasionally for certain terms I only knew in English.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it safe to drive in Ponce? How long is the interview? Have you found a place to live there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am OO and got an II. Please, do I really have a chance if I actually show up and interview? It is so crazy expensive to go to PR !

Last edited:
... would they repeat the question(s) if I do not fully understand them? English > Spanish

I am OO and got anII. Please, do I really have a chance if I actually show up and interview? It is so crazy expensive to go to PR !

I would say it's the same chance as in other schools. I would really think about going to interview at Ponce because of the money for the interview since they don't offer STUDENT HOSTING & take a look at OOS tuition + other costs on their webpage. Comes out to 83K a year!! Jesus. This is a private school as well.

I would say it's the same chance as in other schools. I would really think about going to interview at Ponce because of the money for the interview since they don't offer STUDENT HOSTING & take a look at OOS tuition + other costs on their webpage. Comes out to 83K a year!! Jesus. This is a private school as well.
That's what I was thinking. I reviewed some past acceptance stats. One of them shows that they interviewed 16 OO's, 15 got accepted. ... and yes, the 83K is something to think about ... I just want to continue studying; I know how I am. I do not need a break (gap year(s)).

That's what I was thinking. I reviewed some past acceptance stats. One of them shows that they interviewed 16 OO's, 15 got accepted. ... and yes, the 83K is something to think about ... I just want to continue studying; I know how I am. I do not need a break (gap year(s)).

I get you. Have you taken a look at the crime rates in Puerto Rico? I think it's safe as long as you don't go by yourself anywhere and avoid the beaches. Apparently touristy areas are high in muggings etc like other places in the US. The only huge deal breaker for me is getting my car on the little island and the WEATHER. Oh god. I'm not used to hot and humid year round! >.<

I would say that it's pretty safe to drive in Ponce. The interview was about 1-2 hours long. I haven't found a place yet, because I'm waiting on a couple of other schools.
Is it safe to drive in Ponce? How long is the interview? Have you found a place to live there?

I would say that it's pretty safe to drive in Ponce. The interview was about 1-2 hours long. I haven't found a place yet, because I'm waiting on a couple of other schools.

Hi. Just finished my Interview. I had a school tour and the school seems so quaint. Very small and the students live next to the school. I was wondering, how long until they notify you of the acceptance? I would love to go here. :)

Hi. Just finished my Interview. I had a school tour and the school seems so quaint. Very small and the students live next to the school. I was wondering, how long until they notify you of the acceptance? I would love to go here. :)

I think it would depend on when the committee convenes again! I recommend calling after a month or so asking when decisions would be out. I got my decision roughly 2 months after my interview.

Officially acepted today!! Interviewed Dec 16 In state

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Officially accepted! OOS and interviewed on Dec 16! Super excited

Reactions: 2 users
Officially accepted! OOS and interviewed on Dec 16! Super excited

Congrats! cant believe it took you 2 months to find out! It gives me hope! thanks for posting :)

Congrats! cant believe it took you 2 months to find out! It gives me hope! thanks for posting :)
Thank you! yes it took awhile. I called frequently to check on it, and they told me their concern for my application was my Spanish. Everything else they said looked great. This was a lady at admissions who told me this, and a week later I recieved my acceptance email which was today. If you have any concerns for your app just call the office of admissions. They are nice people, and will let you know whether your application is still being looked at.

Last edited:
Could anyone share some info about apartments for rent?

In the acceptance email there should be a file which has a list of places for students to live at.

Last edited:
Buenas - I am an MS2 OOS student wanting to offer a place to stay for anyone that is coming through and interviewing. As an applicant 2 years ago, I had 0 information pre-interview about places to live, places to stay during your time here, etc. Also important to say, I am not on here to give you advice about which school to chose, who matched where, academics or statistics of any kind. Any OOS or IS applicants that want to stay the night in town and don't want to use Airbnb or stay at the Hilton. I have a mattress and couch available for those who are cutting costs very close to school. Also, if you need a little extra information to soothe the mind (again non-academic) regarding student life, language level, or other concerns, feel free to DM me. Como siempre, exito and suerte a todos! Fuerza throughout the whole application process!

Reactions: 4 users
A friend on mine was told that enrolling in their special masters program well will guarantee a spot in the next year medical class anyone knows how true this is ?

Accepted!! Interviewed in November 4, accepted in Dec. 2 :)

We should start a FB group for the PSM class of 2021. So at least the students who know that are going to attend can communicate about housing, and other matters.

Did anyone else interview for Ponce in January? I interviewed January 27th and currently waiting on a decision. Just hoping for some sort of average time frame because the waiting and not knowing is killing me! Yaritza is very kind and helpful but she didn't have any update for me when I emailed last week. Thank you and good luck to everyone!!

Did anyone else interview for Ponce in January? I interviewed January 27th and currently waiting on a decision. Just hoping for some sort of average time frame because the waiting and not knowing is killing me! Yaritza is very kind and helpful but she didn't have any update for me when I emailed last week. Thank you and good luck to everyone!!

I interviewed Jan 20 and some people heard back 2 weeks after that, but I called in and they said to wait that they were backed up. Apparently each group interview is done separately by a committee or something, and not all together as in by the Date like some other schools. I'm still waiting and hope Tomorrow or by Friday I'll receive an email (2 months).

I interviewed Jan 20 and some people heard back 2 weeks after that, but I called in and they said to wait that they were backed up. Apparently each group interview is done separately by a committee or something, and not all together as in by the Date like some other schools. I'm still waiting and hope Tomorrow or by Friday I'll receive an email (2 months).
Ahh I see, okay, hopefully it will be soon for both of us. Good luck!!!

Interviewed in October, denied in January, submitted for revision in February, just accepted today! Was also accepted at el Recinto de Ciencias Medicas so have some thinking to do now

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed in October, denied in January, submitted for revision in February, just accepted today! Was also accepted at el Recinto de Ciencias Medicas so have some thinking to do now

Congrats! All the hard work paid off. What is this revision you speak of? Are you OOS?

Congrats! All the hard work paid off. What is this revision you speak of? Are you OOS?
Thanks! And I talked to Yaritza and she told me that there is a revision process with the committee I could apply to. I took a month, but they got back to me with the acceptance after I sent them a letter explaining why I really wanted to be a part of their 2021 class. Also, i'm IS.

Last edited:
Thanks! And I talked to Yaritza and she told me that there is a revision process with the committee I could apply to. I took a month, but they got back to me with the acceptance after I sent them a letter explaining why I really wanted to be a part of their 2021 class. Also, i'm IS.

Ooo how great! It sounds like a letter of intent/update. So good they like those things! I sent mine 2 weeks ago since I've been waiting 2 months for a response post interview. OOS. :]

Accepted via email in March 16! IS and interviewed in Dec 27.

Inteviewed Jan 20th, accepted via email March 16th!! OOS student

Does anyone know how to find the academic calendar, including first and last day of classes and any breaks?

Hey, guys! I'm kind of new on SDN, but I interviewed at Ponce back in November and was accepted in December. I am still waiting to hear back from a couple of other schools but definitely loved PR. Great environment and really nice people. OOS.

Has anyone found PHSU's match lists? USMLE pass rates? Their website doesn't have much info :/

I am also having difficulty with this and asked the Admissions Office, but they did not provide me with the information.

A friend on mine was told that enrolling in their special masters program well will guarantee a spot in the next year medical class anyone knows how true this is ?
My friend received a letter telling her to apply to this program and the rate of those who completed the masters and got accepted into the MD program at PHSU was very low. So I don't think it guarantees a spot in the next class.

I am also having difficulty with this and asked the Admissions Office, but they did not provide me with the information.

That's horrible. I feel like this info should definitely be on the website. It's so frustrating how little is actually on there. I did see on their FB page that this year they matched 89% of their students (mostly in the East Coast), but I'd definitely like to see the trend over the years.

That's horrible. I feel like this info should definitely be on the website. It's so frustrating how little is actually on there. I did see on their FB page that this year they matched 89% of their students (mostly in the East Coast), but I'd definitely like to see the trend over the years.
The match rates for ponce are not online and it is frustrating. I have tried time and time again to find then online but the only one circulating is the 2005 match list which is on SDN. However this link has helped provide some insight on their residency matching .http://www.camarapr.org/Pres-Izq/PRH-2015/PP/29-PP-David-Lenihan.pdf . It's not a match list, but it does have some valuable info on residency placement trends. Hope this helps a little.

I attended the MSMS program that they recommend. Any questions, you can inbox me if you want.

Just recently interviewed at the school (Mar. 31). I perceive that I did well. PHSU is my top choice.
If you get accepted, is your acceptance guaranteed? Or are there instances in which you could receive a conditional acceptance?
Is it also true that a very high percentage of OOS applicants who get interviewed get accepted? I am OOS, and I saw someone post here that one time, 16 OOS got interviewed, and 15 of them ended up matriculating, which means that all 16 got accepted to PHSU.
Thanks!

My understanding is that this revision process that you undertook is basically an appeal to an original rejection letter. Does this revision process actually exist? I am an OOS applicant, and is such appeal open to anyone who got rejected, if they end up in such situation?
Lastly, would you recommend personally calling admissions and telling them that you intend to go through the revision process if denied? I am currently waiting for a decision, which I was told would find out by the end of the month. Thanks!

Just recently interviewed at the school (Mar. 31). I perceive that I did well. PHSU is my top choice.
If you get accepted, is your acceptance guaranteed? Or are there instances in which you could receive a conditional acceptance?
Is it also true that a very high percentage of OOS applicants who get interviewed get accepted? I am OOS, and I saw someone post here that one time, 16 OOS got interviewed, and 15 of them ended up matriculating, which means that all 16 got accepted to PHSU.
Thanks!
All admissions are conditioned as far as I am concerned. Things that could affect your admission is a bad Background Check, any unfinished requirement or a grade below C, failure to meet deadlines to submit payments and medical records for matriculation. This is all based on most schools and my current one.

Do anyone know what are the chances on getting in after waitlisted?

Do anyone know what are the chances on getting in after waitlisted?
I do not know the specifics of Ponce. However, most desirable schools have yields (matriculant/accepted) of 70% or less. This means that at least 30% or 30 students out of a 100 come from the waitlist.

In PR, there are 4 medical schools. When I interviewed, everyone in my group had applied to 3 (excluding SJB). You can see that if they all get acceptances to all schools the chances of choosing Ponce becomes diluted as they have their sights on UPR due to tuition and logistics. My guess is ~30% will come from the waitlist.

Hello everyone,
My MSAR subscription recently expired. I was wondering if anyone who has the current MSAR could tell me number of people interviewed / matriculated for OOS?
Thanks!