2016-2017 University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Emails will be out within the next week
So they will trickle out over the course of this next week then?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! I do wonder why they couldn't have said that to begin with lol
They were probably too busy answering calls from neurotic premeds

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So did this board get quiet cause y'all heard back or y'all gave up on hearing like me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So what's the consensus here, do you guys think that we will hear more back about acceptances this week (Especially since nothing happened last week), or will it be after the Thanksgiving break??

So what's the consensus here, do you guys think that we will hear more back about acceptances this week (Especially since nothing happened last week), or will it be after the Thanksgiving break??

Doesn't matter what we think lol. Based on last week, my answer would be... 'Maybe the first one but also maybe the second one. Maybe both.'

Reactions: 1 users
I think the two Texas schools that are new, dell and rgv, are being a little slow and cautious on who they admit. They each had a lot of applications and each are slowly rolling out acceptances.

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone interviewing on Nov 28th? My interview is then, and I'm from the valley. I didn't see anything about a shuttle to the airport after the interview day, so if anyone thinks they're going to need a ride, let me know! I'd be happy to drop off any SDNers at the airport. I know how much it sucks not knowing how to get there when we don't have Uber in the valley. PM if interested, I'd be happy to help.

Reactions: 3 users
Doesn't matter what we think lol. Based on last week, my answer would be... 'Maybe the first one but also maybe the second one. Maybe both.'

At this point I've just circled July 1, 2017 on my calendar. If I hear from any school before then, I will just be really excited.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the two Texas schools that are new, dell and rgv, are being a little slow and cautious on who they admit. They each had a lot of applications and each are slowly rolling out acceptances.

This is the answer.

UTRGV will probably only have 10 prematch acceptances at any single time. the people they've prematched will have to withdraw their offers before they prematch other students. Realistically almost no one they prematch will end up going since they will most likely have offers from more established schools.

We were told that the school is only accredited for 50 students so 55 is the maximum amount of students they can accept. With 5 OOS slots acceptances, they have no wiggle room to over accept in-state students so they will be more conservative than most schools.

The bottom line is they will have to accept around 120 of the ~350 interviewees to fill their class. I also do not buy the idea that everyone will find out their status prior to the match, they have no incentive to tell students they've been rejected or waitlisted.

See you guys in February.

This is the answer.

UTRGV will probably only have 10 prematch acceptances at any single time. the people they've prematched will have to withdraw their offers before they prematch other students. Realistically almost no one they prematch will end up going since they will most likely have offers from more established schools.

We were told that the school is only accredited for 50 students so 55 is the maximum amount of students they can accept. With 5 OOS slots acceptances, they have no wiggle room to over accept in-state students so they will be more conservative than most schools.

The bottom line is they will have to accept around 120 of the ~350 interviewees to fill their class. I also do not buy the idea that everyone will find out their status prior to the match, they have no incentive to tell students they've been rejected or waitlisted.

See you guys in February.

Where did this info come from?

Where did this info come from?

The class being capped at 55 and 350 interview offers was mentioned on interview day. We were also told that they tried to get commitment from accepted students last year before extending offers to other applicants. it was implied that they will continue with this strategy.

Everything else is just inference on my part but if you look at the yield of TCOM or TT El Paso it's reasonable to assume UTRGV will have a about the same yield of 40-50%. They accepted 182 last year, it will be significantly less this year, 100-120 will be the magic number.

The class being capped at 55 and 350 interview offers was mentioned on interview day. We were also told that they tried to get commitment from accepted students last year before extending offers to other applicants. it was implied that they will continue with this strategy.

Everything else is just inference on my part but if you look at the yield of TCOM or TT El Paso it's reasonable to assume UTRGV will have a about the same yield of 40-50%. They accepted 182 last year, it will be significantly less this year, 100-120 will be the magic number.
I think this is reasonable, however many other applicants who interviewed here have reported that UTRGV would participate heavily in pre-match, and that last week they should have sent out either waitlist or acceptances to all interviewed applicants. At this point it's just become your word against their word, and honestly I don't even think UTRGV has a clear idea of what to do, considering the people on this thread who have called (including myself) have all received different responses concerning the pre-match. But yeah, I do agree, the only thing we can do is wait for whenever the time may come.

Got an email that I was waitlisted just now. Will be withdrawing my spot though!

Slight correction to my previous statement. waitlists emails are definitely going out right now.

Well this new wrinkle is exciting!

Got an email that I was waitlisted just now. Will be withdrawing my spot though!
Sorry to hear about that, good luck at the other schools you are applying to. Anxiety levels are going through the roof again for me...

I think this is reasonable, however many other applicants who interviewed here have reported that UTRGV would participate heavily in pre-match, and that last week they should have sent out either waitlist or acceptances to all interviewed applicants. At this point it's just become your word against their word, and honestly I don't even think UTRGV has a clear idea of what to do, considering the people on this thread who have called (including myself) have all received different responses concerning the pre-match. But yeah, I do agree, the only thing we can do is wait for whenever the time may come.

Based on recent developments I am definitely wrong. I have no clue how TMDSAS waitlists works but how does one approach the match if we are already waitlisted ?

Waitlist e-mail. Likely withdrawing anyway! Adios, friends :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just wait listed as well. Good luck everybody wherever you all end up.

Wait-listed about 2 minutes ago. Given that it's all I have right now (and I also, you know, would be excited to study medicine here), I will be hanging on for the ride.

It's not rejection! Gotta stay positive. :xf:

I will try to explain, in the kindest way possible, the peculiar mindset of people in the Rio Grande Valley. Most people here are kind and good hearted. But they never want to disappoint you, the customer, in any way. So if you ask a question, they will tell you what they think you want to hear. Here is my example using auto mechanics rather than med school applications.
Me: How long do you think it will take to repair my car?
Mechanic: Oh, by this afternoon for sure, no worries.
Me (late afternoon) I'm calling to check on my car, any news?
Mechanic: Oh, so sorry ma'am, we were so busy we were not able to even look at your car yet this afternoon. But first thing tomorrow, for sure.
And so it goes, like this. Now, he did want to make me happy and have it ready, but he really didn't know. So he told me what he thought I wanted to hear. But since I am a pragmatic and matter-of-fact person, I really would rather hear the facts - and if he told me it would be ready in 3 days and it was, this would be a better way for me to hear the same news.

When I first moved here over 20 years ago I really had to learn to cool my jets and dial back my expectations.

Other RGV residents, do you think I have captured this well? ;)

Waitlisted! I'm excited I didn't get denied!

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

So, how should I handle the wait list in regard to my TMDSAS rankings?

Is this a prematch wait list or a regular match wait list?

So, how should I handle the wait list in regard to my TMDSAS rankings?

Is this a prematch wait list or a regular match wait list?

Good question, jtr0024! Rank it in your true preference order among schools where you have interviewed. It is kind of unusual to put someone on a WL before match day, but UTRGV took people from their wait list last year up till the first week of June so don't rule them out yet

Its a regular wait-list... If you rank them higher than schools that you end up getting accepted at you will stay on the wait-list until June 1st(i think) at which point they either offer you an acceptance or you go to the second highest school that you matched at. Keep in mind, though that you can come off the wait-list sooner than that.

EDIT: I love Texas!

Waitlisted as well but will be withdrawing most definitely. Good luck to those still waiting!

Anyone received an acceptance today?

Hey @wysdoc, since you are currently an attending physician and you have been so helpful on many of these threads, I want to get an opinion from you. What are your thoughts on using virtual anatomy vs. actual direction of cadavers? I got the feeling the head of the anatomy lab had a tough time of trying to convince many of us interviewees (and probably himself to be honest) that virtual anatomy was a better option. Just wanted to see what you think and if you feel like using a cadaver was important in your medical education.

Hey @wysdoc, since you are currently an attending physician and you have been so helpful on many of these threads, I want to get an opinion from you. What are your thoughts on using virtual anatomy vs. actual direction of cadavers? I got the feeling the head of the anatomy lab had a tough time of trying to convince many of us interviewees (and probably himself to be honest) that virtual anatomy was a better option. Just wanted to see what you think and if you feel like using a cadaver was important in your medical education.
I did find it valuable to dissect and learn that way, as opposed to looking at pictures. I didn't have 3-D video to look at or 3-D models in my time. We did have complete skeletons available which I don't see around much now.

So for people who are on the wait list like me, if we don't hear by December 31st we have to wait until match day. For the people they accepted, they have 2 weeks to accept. So for the ones who don't accept and decide to go somewhere else, they will start looking at the wait list.

Congrats to those who got accepted!

As for the wait-lists at this point in time, Texas schools for the most part don't "reject" officially until very late into the cycle and it is by nature of not matching in February or not hearing any good news up until June 1st from the "waitlist."

The anatomy lab is not entirely virtual. Along with digital media, we utilize many physical models (skeletons, etc.), and will begin to use the plastinates which are as close to a non-dissectible cadaver as you can probably get. Speaking to other current medical students, you'll hear varying opinions on the value and implications of actual cadaver dissection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to those who got accepted!

As for the wait-lists at this point in time, Texas schools for the most part don't "reject" officially until very late into the cycle and it is by nature of not matching in February or not hearing any good news up until June 1st from the "waitlist."

The anatomy lab is not entirely virtual. However, there is no cadaver dissection. Speaking to other current medical students, you'll hear varying opinions on the value and implications of actual dissection.
Can you explain "not entirely virtual"?

So are they done handing out II for IS applicants?

Received a waitlist email at 6:47. Congrats to those that have been pre-matched, can't lose hope y'all.

5:47 Central Time yes, I'm a TX resident so I'm considered IS, but I'm going to a school in the Eastern Time zone, so 6:47 for me.
I figured as much, sorry i'm a little slow. I've been at work for 12 hours

theres some people who haven't received anything in regards of acceptance or wait list, are we at the top of the wait list then?

theres some people who haven't received anything in regards of acceptance or wait list, are we at the top of the wait list then?
I got in the wait list too haha

I got in the wait list too haha
Sorry dude, UTRGV really dropped the axe today on many of their applicants. I've noticed that some people on this thread will be withdrawing their waitlist status, which means UTRGV will have a smaller group of waitlist applicants to choose from, which should hopefully help our chances.