2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, so for some reason I'm having a really tough time understanding yale's admissions requirements.

It reads:
"U.S. Advanced Placement credits from high school do not themselves satisfy premedical requirements, but advanced college, university courses or institute of technology courses (for which students are made eligible by AP credits) may be substituted for introductory-level courses in each of these subjects."

Does this mean if your university gave you college credit from AP scores, that credit can be used? Physics really messing me up right now....
I know I can call them, but wanted to submit the secondary over the weekend instead of later on Monday/Monday night.
I think it's saying that the ap credits themselves don't satisfy the requirement, but if you took ap and then also took higher level classes in whatever subeject those ap credits are in, you're good

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, so for some reason I'm having a really tough time understanding yale's admissions requirements.

It reads:
"U.S. Advanced Placement credits from high school do not themselves satisfy premedical requirements, but advanced college, university courses or institute of technology courses (for which students are made eligible by AP credits) may be substituted for introductory-level courses in each of these subjects."

Does this mean if your university gave you college credit from AP scores, that credit can be used? Physics really messing me up right now....
I know I can call them, but wanted to submit the secondary over the weekend instead of later on Monday/Monday night.

That's saying if you took AP physics and your university let you skip ahead to advanced physics (instead of taking physics 101), Yale will accept your advanced physics courses as replacements for the intro physics classes you didn't take in college. They won't accept the AP classes themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
That's saying if you took AP physics and your university let you skip ahead to advanced physics (instead of taking physics 101), Yale will accept your advanced physics courses as replacements for the intro physics classes you didn't take in college. They won't accept the AP classes themselves.

+3

Members don't see this ad :)
Yale does not care about prereqs basically at all. I'm missing 4 labs in total with 2 lectures from their standard requirements and I interviewed, accepted, and matriculated just fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Yale does not care about prereqs basically at all. I'm missing 4 labs in total with 2 lectures from their standard requirements and I interviewed, accepted, and matriculated just fine.
That's great to hear. I'm missing some chemistry, and I was debating withdrawing my app for that reason. (I applied anyways b/c I loved the school/Yale System).

What???? Sigh... schools need to be more honest about their policies. If Yale lied about their "minimum requirements", then for many other schools I chose not to apply to probably did as well. These schools are just discouraging applicants who use ap credits and fail to hit all the sciences again in college. I mean come on who would continues to take physics when they are interested in med??

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice about the "optional" essay section. The rest of my secondary is complete, but I haven't written a diversity essay yet (Yale is the first secondary I've worked on.) Is it better to leave it blank and submit the secondary or should I wait until I have a diversity essay that I can put in the optional essay box? Or is it better to just send it in? I'm also applying MSTP so I wrote an additional essay (about Ph.D. programs/interests) on top of the Why Yale essay.

Thank you!

I don't think the schools lie. They definitely care. Try applying with only a year of biology and lab, no can do. But by not being hardass on students about the requirements, Yale lives up to its commitment to the Yale System. I have friends who had to make up calculus 1 and gen chem lab before they were allowed to matriculate to school this past summer. Some schools just happen to tolerate some missing requirements here and there a little better. Either way, never withdraw an app because you're missing some scattered courses here and there. There is always flexibility and you can cross that bridge when you get there.

I don't think the schools lie. They definitely care. Try applying with only a year of biology and lab, no can do.

tfw I just applied and haven't had bio...rip hopes and dreams

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you read this somewhere? What makes you say that there are no more II's for this cycle?
It's a joke. It's August! It's way too early for there to be no more IIs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Everybody should just take a beta-blocker to lower that HR and come back in a few months. :) The first group of interviewees hasn't even come through yet.

It'll all be okay, everyone!

For those who received II- did y'all attend an Ivy? Any post-baccs in the group?

No Ivy here, smallish mid-tier private school for undergrad. I'm in grad school now, so no post-bacc.

Interviews officially kick off tomorrow. So excited for y'all! Good luck to everyone in the running, hope to see many of you in your spanking shiny suits around :thumbup: :luck: :highfive:

Are you URM or no? I got same LizzyM and im disadvantaged. Not sure if worth applying.

I am half Latino but not really disadvantaged. Definitely worth applying though! I am well below the average LizzyM so they must take into account everything else. I say go for it

Top 10 schools scare me to death lolllll maybe it give it a try haha

II email arrived at 4:23 CST this evening!!! WOW. This is not real. Nothing makes sense anymore. This was a huge huge reach for me.
I am panicking now because I scheduled the interview for two weeks from now, and still need to buy a suit!

Complete first week of August; LizzyM 72-73

Earliest dates I saw were Sept. 21 and 28. There were about 9-10 openings in both October and November! December dates were not open yet! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Eeek, II (by email)!!! Complete early august, LizzyM 76

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
Hi! Congrats to everyone who's received an II! That's amazing! Can someone please explain what the interview style is for yale or post a link with information regarding the interview process? Please!

Thank you! How long is each interview? I'm assuming 45-60 mins?
Supposed to be a half hour, but up to the discretion/schedules of the interviewers.

II this past week, LM 72-74, conplete mid-august. My first big one!!

Reactions: 7 users
II today!! complete late August.

does anybody know how to plan around weather for New Haven over December/January? I'm thinking of scheduling for those dates but not sure how to position flights in case of snow delays. Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users

does anybody know how to plan around weather for New Haven over December/January? I'm thinking of scheduling for those dates but not sure how to position flights in case of snow delays. Thanks!

In general, even for non-snowy months, try not to book the last flight of the day. If your flight gets cancelled, you'll have a later option available.

I would book with a credit card that has travel insurance in case of delays or cancellations (highly recommend Chase Sapphire), or purchase the optional insurance at check out. If you're in a bind, you're next best bet will be to book an adjacent airport that is not having the same weather issues and take the train in, provided it's not so bad that the trains aren't running.

Depends on where you want to fly out of, but in general avoid LGA if you don't want delays. JFK & EWR might be ok. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with other airports in CT.

Congratulations! What are your stats? Also were the only interview dates available that late or are there also earlier ones?

Congratulations! What are your stats? Also were the only interview dates available that late or are there also earlier ones?

thanks! my LizzyM is lower 70s. I also see slots for all of november but october & the rest of september are booked.

Depends on where you want to fly out of, but in general avoid LGA if you don't want delays. JFK & EWR might be ok. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with other airports in CT.
Westchester airport would be my choice, I'm from the area. Hartford and tweed are other options but probably expensive. I actually would say LGA is better than EWR and JFK. I would avoid EWR at all costs.

There's really nothing you can do about snow delays, you never know what's gonna hit. But it rarely ever snows in December anymore (hello climate change) and the first half of January is relatively mild as well. Definitely not EWR for Yale, way too far. JFK/LGA pretty even actually, they generally cost about the same depending on the airline. BDL, though less well-known, is actually great. They market it as an alternative to the NY airports and I think it's up there in terms of reliability, maybe not so much price though. Lmao HVN...do NOT do this unless passing through PHL is a necessity for some odd reason. Worth a gander for the schedules/prices, but not a real option.

If people who submitted their apps later than you got a II (some with lower LizzyM scores) and you didn't, should you assume you're not gonna get one?

II today!!! Completed 07/20!! Has anyone interviewed here yet? What's it like!?

Reactions: 3 users