2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Yale wait until the end of their cycle to send out rejections?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Does Yale wait until the end of their cycle to send out rejections?
Everyone finds out on the same day, yes. They said March 9th next year?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! So from the past posts I've read how each of the two interviews can go up to 60 mins, since it's at the discretion of the interviewer. I guess I'm a little nervous thinking about a WHOLE hour with one interviewer, and then spending a WHOLE other hour with a second interviewer :oops:. Are the interviews targeting different things, like one is maybe a get to know you, vs the other is more like, how much do you know about the healthcare system or something specific? Would anyone who has interviewed here recently, mind sharing their experience with me?

Thank you!

Both interviews could have lots of overlap. Any differences between the two interviews has more to to do with the personalities of the interviewers and what they personally want to tease out of you as an applicant than any organized check list that they together will try and satisfy. In my experience one interview was a bit more structured whereas the other was more conversational and spontaneous, and both covered some common ground, but was overall pleasant and mellow.

If you're remotely interesting, are able to converse, and have a reasonably well filled CV, you can fill an hour no problem.

Both interviews could have lots of overlap. Any differences between the two interviews has more to to do with the personalities of the interviewers and what they personally want to tease out of you as an applicant than any organized check list that they together will try and satisfy. In my experience one interview was a bit more structured whereas the other was more conversational and spontaneous, and both covered some common ground, but was overall pleasant and mellow.

If you're remotely interesting, are able to converse, and have a reasonably well filled CV, you can fill an hour no problem.
Thank you!

Hey! So from the past posts I've read how each of the two interviews can go up to 60 mins, since it's at the discretion of the interviewer. I guess I'm a little nervous thinking about a WHOLE hour with one interviewer, and then spending a WHOLE other hour with a second interviewer :oops:. Are the interviews targeting different things, like one is maybe a get to know you, vs the other is more like, how much do you know about the healthcare system or something specific? Would anyone who has interviewed here recently, mind sharing their experience with me?

Thank you!

You shouldn't worry too much--it's quite rare that whole interview is actually "about you." A big chunk will be, certainly, but for example my interviewer and I shared an artistic hobby and actually chatted for a while about that. He pulled out his iPad to show me some pictures of his work and it was all very casual. My interview at Columbia went on for nearly 2 hours, and I've had ones that lasted 15 minutes. I'd take length to be a positive, because it means your interviewer wants to talk to you. They aren't going to artificially prolong it if it's awkward.

You shouldn't worry too much--it's quite rare that whole interview is actually "about you." A big chunk will be, certainly, but for example my interviewer and I shared an artistic hobby and actually chatted for a while about that. He pulled out his iPad to show me some pictures of his work and it was all very casual. My interview at Columbia went on for nearly 2 hours, and I've had ones that lasted 15 minutes. I'd take length to be a positive, because it means your interviewer wants to talk to you. They aren't going to artificially prolong it if it's awkward.

Thanks! That makes sense, if it's not going smoothly then they wouldn't just awkwardly stare at me for an hour lol.

I would just caution no one should read anything into interview length. You do not know what it means. I could just as easily argue that a longer interview means there are more problems to address as I could that longer means s/he liked you more. Even if they find it awkward, they could be dragging it out to see if/when the conversation loses its awkwardness. Or it actually wasn't awkward for them at all and it's just you. When two such (or more) arguments can hold equal weight under scrutiny, all we can conclude is that we don't know anything. @LizzyM had a great comment once that for a non-insignificant number of interviewers, the decision was made 10-15 min into the interview and the rest is extra, just people being sociable and liking conversations. Again, an argument that can be equally weighted. So really, don't read into it. Ditto goes for many many many other aspects of the process.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a way to estimate your financial aid before the inteview/admission? I checked the website and couldn't find anything but just wanted to make sure

Is there a way to estimate your financial aid before the inteview/admission? I checked the website and couldn't find anything but just wanted to make sure
There is not. I'd worry about getting in first ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this isn't the right place for the question, but I just got an interview and am super excited :D. What do you guys suggest I do to prepare? I'm from Canada so we don't have premed advisors for med application support, anything would be helpful :)

So far I suppose I'm going to dig deeper into Yale as a school, my motivations and have good answers regarding my application and activities. What kind of questions do you guys usually ask at interviews? Last time I interviewed for anything was to work at a local McDonald's haha. Thanks all!

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry if this isn't the right place for the question, but I just got an interview and am super excited :D. What do you guys suggest I do to prepare? I'm from Canada so we don't have premed advisors for med application support, anything would be helpful :)

So far I suppose I'm going to dig deeper into Yale as a school, my motivations and have good answers regarding my application and activities. What kind of questions do you guys usually ask at interviews? Last time I interviewed for anything was to work at a local McDonald's haha. Thanks all!

Congrats on the interview!! You will do great!

I am sorry I have not interviewed at Yale so I cannot offer much help but I have a small question, When were you marked complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the interview!! You will do great!

I am sorry I have not interviewed at Yale so I cannot offer much help but I have a small question, When were you marked complete?

Thanks! Along with it came a rejection from Stanford :p still amazing news though

I submitted my secondaries on 10/30, if that's what you're asking? My AMCAS was sent in on 10/1 as i received my MCAT scores on 9/27

Really just know your app well and know why you want to go to Yale besides "because it's Yale". Both of my interviews were super conversational and really relaxed, so in my experience there weren't any questions I could have really "prepared" for since they all went with the flow of the conversation. Hope that helps!

Really just know your app well and know why you want to go to Yale besides "because it's Yale". Both of my interviews were super conversational and really relaxed, so in my experience there weren't any questions I could have really "prepared" for since they all went with the flow of the conversation. Hope that helps!

thanks! oh boy, between the relaxed interviews and the curriculum style, yale sounds like my kinda place haha.

(please please please take me)

Hey congrats!! I have an interview here next week, I'm from Canada too so I totally get you with the whole lacking pre-med advisors . I'm going through all the questions posted on the interview feedback for Yale, and really knowing each aspect of my application because I've been told that they know your app really well. Other than that, just learning more about the school and falling more and more in love! I've also heard that the interviews are conversational and really just about getting to know you, and if you're a good fit for them. When are you interviewing if you don't mind me asking? I'll keep you posted on how my interview goes!

Hey congrats!! I have an interview here next week, I'm from Canada too so I totally get you with the whole lacking pre-med advisors . I'm going through all the questions posted on the interview feedback for Yale, and really knowing each aspect of my application because I've been told that they know your app really well. Other than that, just learning more about the school and falling more and more in love! I've also heard that the interviews are conversational and really just about getting to know you, and if you're a good fit for them. When are you interviewing if you don't mind me asking? I'll keep you posted on how my interview goes!

Sweet, thanks a bunch!! I've been digging through their youtube page while making dinner haha. I'm doing mine on Jan 4th since that's the first available one outside of exam season :)

Sweet, thanks a bunch!! I've been digging through their youtube page while making dinner haha. I'm doing mine on Jan 4th since that's the first available one outside of exam season :)
Yeah I kinda wish I had been a little smarter about picking my interview date, since they aren't rolling so it doesn't even matter when you interview lol I was just too excited haha

Yeah I kinda wish I had been a little smarter about picking my interview date, since they aren't rolling so it doesn't even matter when you interview lol I was just too excited haha

oh believe me I would've done it tomorrow if I could. all the 2016 dates are taken except for one on my chem exam day

Look up example questions for a "behavioral interview" (tell me about a time you worked in a team and what you learned) and the style of questions most secondaries ask. Those make up the bulk of questions top American med schools like to ask. Then obviously specifics about your ECs, clinical experiences, why medicine, why this school, anything else you wrote in the application could be brought up.

Look up example questions for a "behavioral interview" (tell me about a time you worked in a team and what you learned) and the style of questions most secondaries ask. Those make up the bulk of questions top American med schools like to ask. Then obviously specifics about your ECs, clinical experiences, why medicine, why this school, anything else you wrote in the application could be brought up.
Thanks!

Withdrew today. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
II!! Yale has always been my dream school, super stoked!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
People getting II's!

*refreshes email... nothing*
*checks spam folder... nothing*
*signs onto portal... "thank you for applying!"*

tumblr_inline_ntgslfKWCu1sysrze_400.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
People getting II's!

*refreshes email... nothing*
*checks spam folder... nothing*
*signs onto portal... "thank you for applying!"*

does this mean its a rejection? I have the same line in my portal :(

does this mean its a rejection? I have the same line in my portal :(

Alright other neurotic pre-meds, just dropping in to say I've already interviewed and mine has the same line, it means nothing. Take a deep breath.

Reactions: 4 users
What's the policy on thank you notes here? Is it cool to just e-mail our interviewers?

Hope some of you will join us next year! Last stretch of the application cycle, hanging in there! If anyone wants to chat with a second year pm me! Here is a video showing what's it like here on a daily basis.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know/is able to say why Yale, and other schools, do not inform applicants of their post-interview status on a rolling basis? In other words, do they already know if I've been accepted/waitlisted/rejected? Or do they really wait until they have interviewed everyone before they go back and review all of the people who have been interviewed? Waiting until March gives one a lot of time to overthink this.....

Does anyone know/is able to say why Yale, and other schools, do not inform applicants of their post-interview status on a rolling basis? In other words, do they already know if I've been accepted/waitlisted/rejected? Or do they really wait until they have interviewed everyone before they go back and review all of the people who have been interviewed? Waiting until March gives one a lot of time to overthink this.....
They review everyone at the end. You are reviewed on the Monday immediately after your interview but they go over everyone again in February and March. It's not a gimmick; they're very serious about this. Keep yourself busy this year or you'll go crazy!

They review everyone at the end. You are reviewed on the Monday immediately after your interview but they go over everyone again in February and March. It's not a gimmick; they're very serious about this. Keep yourself busy this year or you'll go crazy!

+1

They review for factors that are difficult to review for on a rolling basis. It's also a different committee that reviews the applications (that have been passed on through the weekly reviews) for overall class composition.

Anyone know if it's still possible to get an II from Yale? (Complete in July, send an update multiple weeks ago). Have had the privilege of interviewing at some peer institutions of Yale's but I really like Yale and am sorta bummed about this :\

Anyone know if it's still possible to get an II from Yale? (Complete in July, send an update multiple weeks ago). Have had the privilege of interviewing at some peer institutions of Yale's but I really like Yale and am sorta bummed about this :\
Yeah it's def possible. But, n=1 here, I got interviews from all the schools like Yale (including Yale) except 2, which, going into the process, were at the top of my list. So it's such a crapshoot, that even if you have the perfect application chances are you won't get interviews at all the top 10 schools.

Last edited:
Does Yale do pre-II rejections? Or do they just reject you in March without an interview?