2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Means you're lower on the interview priority totem pole

I don't think this is correct at all unless Yale processes applications in a very different way from most schools, which I doubt. Where did you hear this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think this is correct at all unless Yale processes applications in a very different way from most schools, which I doubt. Where did you hear this?
smr please excuse my ignorance, but I thought at most schools there's a clear relationship between the date you apply and and the date you get the II, meaning that if you submit your application earlier, you will get an invite earlier than someone who submits it later. Is that not the case?

Members don't see this ad :)
smr please excuse my ignorance, but I thought at most schools there's a clear relationship between the date you apply and and the date you get the II, meaning that if you submit your application earlier, you will get an invite earlier than someone who submits it later. Is that not the case?

Yes that is generally the case. I was referring to the person above suggesting applicants with higher stats get interviews first, that's not how it works. It's more like people who get reviewed and have good enough applications get invites first. This is easy to see if you follow the threads here and it has definitely been my experience as well. I have received invites from a much higher percentage of my reach schools than the schools I am a perfect match for stats wise, despite applying to them all about the same time. This has been many other people's experience as well.

I just didn't want people to read that and be mislead because it is completely incorrect based on what I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My prof just scheduled a midterm on the day I scheduled my interview, do you guys think Yale would allow me to move my interview date or would they expect me to reschedule my midterm?

My prof just scheduled a midterm on the day I scheduled my interview, do you guys think Yale would allow me to move my interview date or would they expect me to reschedule my midterm?
Tell your prof what the situation is before rescheduling anything.

Reactions: 4 users
Yale does not review apps based on submission date. I know this for a fact. The point that you're making is that GENERALLY early submission correlates with getting early interviews. However, many schools do iterative reviews and many do not really review apps in order, especially once everyone has submitted. Sure, if they start reviewing in August then they can only read apps that were submitted, but by now, most everyone has completed everything so it's anyone's guess how they sort the stacks to review.

All in all, trying to predict when your app has been read/reviewed based on the minuscule slice of applicants who are posting on SDN is a recipe for neuroticism and insomnia that you don't need. Your time will come if it comes!

Yale is one of the chillest places you will interview at, both in terms of the interview day itself and the general atmosphere of the school. 2 interviews, casual lunch with faculty, tour, potentially lots of down time for you to walk around campus. Get chatty with Richard Silverman. He's not going to remember your interaction and is just a FANTASTIC person to shoot the bull with, as you'll see very quickly as soon as you get here.

Reactions: 8 users
II Sept 29! Complete 8/10 LM~78

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if the interview was open or closed file?

Dean Richard "I'm Rambling" Silverman was the best part of the whole day. Great guy and a great school. #1 choice.

Reactions: 3 users
Richard Silverman is the best dean you will ever meet. Everybody else can go home, there's no competition

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wth is even partial open? Never heard of it. Almost every single top school has open file interviews. Everyone has read everything you wrote.

Wth is even partial open? Never heard of it. Almost every single top school has open file interviews. Everyone has read everything you wrote.
Some schools don't give the interviewers the GPA/MCAT. One school only gave PS, secondary, and the most meaningful activities.

So convoluted. Don't go to that school lol.

jk I think I'm just mad b/c class is kinda hard. Need some sleep kk bye

Some schools don't give the interviewers the GPA/MCAT. One school only gave PS, secondary, and the most meaningful activities.

Yes! some schools leave out your GPA/ MCAT bc many studies show that interviewers tend to be biased when scores are given.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes! some schools leave out your GPA/ MCAT bc many studies show that interviewers tend to be biased when scores are given.

It's completely open file! My interviewer read off some parts of mine that included GPA, MCAT, recs, app, etc.

I know this is a stretch, but I'm URM with a 3.9 science/cum and 505 MCAT. Chances?

What are your ECs like?

In a fraternity, undergrad research, two clinical research experiences, shadowing, volunteering in underserved community, summer research internship at a nationally known cancer center.... I know it's frowned upon when people ask these questions here but I'm just trying to put the nail in my coffin instead of dragging this out lol

Everyone's chances are low. No one can responsibly say whose is lower than others. Just wait it out. Yale interviews through the bitter end of February, there is plenty of time.

In a fraternity, undergrad research, two clinical research experiences, shadowing, volunteering in underserved community, summer research internship at a nationally known cancer center.... I know it's frowned upon when people ask these questions here but I'm just trying to put the nail in my coffin instead of dragging this out lol

I mean my stats definitely weren't up the averages that Yale has but I still got an interview. So you really just never know.

Everyone's chances are low. No one can responsibly say whose is lower than others. Just wait it out. Yale interviews through the bitter end of February, there is plenty of time.

Was just asking for an opinion other than my own.

Not sure if this was asked before, but is Yale partial to update letters pre-II?
There's plenty of room to upload (up to 2 documents) but I don't know of any official or rumored source as to whether they read them or not

Richard Silverman is the best dean you will ever meet. Everybody else can go home, there's no competition

You mean director? Everyone gets this wrong, stop spreading misinformation. Updates should be addressed to Director Silverman or Dean De Ment.

In case anyone is curious, the admission stats from the class of 2020:

104 students enrolled out of 262 admitted, out of 726 interviewed, and a total of 4425 applicants.

There are 20 Md/PhDs and 84 MDs. 16 students came in with degrees more advanced than a bachelors.

3.80 cGPA, 3.77 sGPA, 35.5/517.6 MCAT

23 students from Yale, 54 students from the Ivy league total (inc Yale)

In case anyone is curious, the admission stats from the class of 2020:

104 students enrolled out of 262 admitted, out of 726 interviewed, and a total of 4425 applicants.

There are 20 Md/PhDs and 84 MDs. 16 students came in with degrees more advanced than a bachelors.

3.80 cGPA, 3.77 sGPA, 35.5/517.6 MCAT

23 students from Yale, 54 students from the Ivy league total (inc Yale)

Thanks for the information! What do you think is the reason behind drop in total applications?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Westchester airport would be my choice, I'm from the area. Hartford and tweed are other options but probably expensive. I actually would say LGA is better than EWR and JFK. I would avoid EWR at all costs.

Just to add a dissenting voice, I would rank area airports this way: LGA>EWR>JFK>Hartford>>>Logan or Tweed.

LGA is a short (<$15 by Lyft) cab ride from the Harlem-125th, or a slightly more expensive ride to grand central, and you can take the very convenient metro north to New Haven. EWR is likewise well connected by the Amtrack, or if you want to switch trains in manhattan, Metro North, which can be cheaper. JFK is going to be pricey to get in and out of, as well as being the worst of the three for delays imo. Hartford is great if you live in New Haven and own a car, but if you're a visitor, shuttle services to New Haven are VERY sporadic.

Tweed is not great because the only flights in are propeller planes from Philadelphia, which you don't want to risk in any month, much less the New England winter. If you're in a pinch, or for some reason flights to Boston are REALLY cheap, or some catastrophic snowfall happens in NYC, you can actually fly to Boston as well. You'd have to take the train from the city which is a fair way from the airport but it works in an emergency because there's a pretty convenient train hookup which takes approximately the same time as a train from NY. I wouldn't recommend RI's airport, there isn't a good train connection nor are flights ever really cheap.

Thanks for the information! What do you think is the reason behind drop in total applications?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not really sure, but perhaps some students were put off by the new 1.5 curriculum? I honestly don't think applicants look THAT hard at curricula pre-admission though, so that may not explain it.

And for what it's worth: Yale REALLY doesn't care about pre-reqs. I AP-ed out of both Chem and Phys and then took nothing else in either of those fields, unless you count biochem. I wasn't made to do any remedial physics or anything.

(Sorry for the flood of posts, I'm just catching up with this thread! Feel free to PM w any questions you don't want to post)

You mean director? Everyone gets this wrong, stop spreading misinformation. Updates should be addressed to Director Silverman or Dean De Ment.
I thought the Dean was Dr. Alpern!

I thought the Dean was Dr. Alpern!
There are many Deans in the hierarchy of medicine. Deans, Deputy Deans, Associate Deans, etc. While Dean is the appropriate title for Dr. Ment, many individuals call her Dr. Ment. (Source: personal knowledge from working with her.) Plus, she's not the type to worry about that sort of thing! It is Director Silverman, but nobody will ever fault you for using a stronger honorific (e.g. Dr. for Mr.; Dean for Dr.; etc.), so I wouldn't worry too much if Dean Silverman is hardwired into your head (although technically incorrect).

There are many Deans in the hierarchy of medicine. Deans, Deputy Deans, Associate Deans, etc. While Dean is the appropriate title for Dr. Ment, many individuals call her Dr. Ment. (Source: personal knowledge from working with her.) Plus, she's not the type to worry about that sort of thing! It is Director Silverman, but nobody will ever fault you for using a stronger honorific (e.g. Dr. for Mr.; Dean for Dr.; etc.), so I wouldn't worry too much if Dean Silverman is hardwired into your head (although technically incorrect).

Pretty sure you could call him Czar Silverman and no one would bat an eye.

II just now! Completed 8/17
LizzyM ~78, international applicant
Interview dates available throughout December. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 6 users
II this morning as well :) Completed 8/31

Reactions: 5 users
Ok calm down, this isn't a big deal. But if you want to play this game, who the hell is Dean "De Ment"? Her name is Laura R. Ment. Stop spreading misinformation. Getting the name wrong is miles worse than getting the title wrong.

Ok calm down, this isn't a big deal. But if you want to play this game, who the hell is Dean "De Ment"? Her name is Laura R. Ment. Stop spreading misinformation. Getting the name wrong is miles worse than getting the title wrong.

\grabs popcorn

Let's be friends, eh?