This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejections from Allegheny, and University of Texas Austin Dell. No invites....yet.....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many IMG friendly EM programs are there really... meaning the ones that have accepted residents that are IMG in last 3 years...
There are some not a tremendous amount but some. I know of one residency where pretty much all there spots are split by DOs and IMGs with no U.S. MDs. Usually crib friendly means they take one or two IMGs a year. I agree with what other people are saying by looking at the match list of AUC, Ross, SGU. Saba doesn't really match that many people into EM. So far every place I have received an interview someone from my school has previously matched there.

Hi guys. New to this thread but have been following SDN per EM since starting med school in the carib in May 2012.

8 EM IVs thus far. Many from the same programs as you all. I wish all the best. USF, LeHigh, York, St. John, MichState Sparrow, Wright State, UTennessee Nashville, Indiana U.

Stats : big3 Carib school, 248/244, CS pass, all USCE, 2 SLORs, one MICU director letter at a University program. Waiting on third SLOR to be submitted from separate program. I'm forecasting a lull this week til after ACEP conference.

Last edited:
Curious where the IMG community is at as far as interviews for EM??
Still sitting at a big fat "uno". Hoping that will change now that my final SLOE became available this week. I hate this process so much.

Reactions: 1 user
plenty of websites for you to display your imagination elsewhere. But that's none of my business.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    305.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
So bizarre bro. In more important news, I just dropped a deuce. Then I flushed you down the toilet. That's the last comment you get, troll.

Reactions: 1 users
Then why even comment?

Still, IV as acronym for interview invitation (or whatever) is pretty bizarre. IMGs might find the following helpful: http://tinyurl.com/7tk3uyg
How is correcting an abbreviation for interview in any way meaningful or helpful to the individuals here? Everyone else clearly understands what it means.

Although I do apologize if you accidentally stumbled on this thread looking for a conversation about intravenous therapies. You might find the following link helpful: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intravenous_therapy

Still sitting at a big fat "uno". Hoping that will change now that my final SLOE became available this week. I hate this process so much.

I am right there right with you. I think I might start emailing programs soon. But I feel like people last year were getting more interviews at this point in time. Congrats to Nantahala on 8 IVs that is righteous.

Thank you buddy. I know how hard all of us have worked and have been thru a lot. I was told by some friends that matched EM (IMg) that IVs(!) came as late as New Years Eve last year. Ill start emailing programs next week most likely.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are pub med publications perceived for IMG, do they stand on their own as separate entity in the application or are they equivalent to each publication adding a point to your step score ( i heard this on SDN so that is why i mention it)

I'd take that as cheap rhetoric. It certainly doesn't hurt you but it adds nothing to your step score. Your step score gets you past the filter screen. The way I look at it is 50% of obtaining a residency comes from your application and all it entails just to get you in the door and 50% from your IV. That's it. I put a lot into my application, not all medical related. I have my own story and I wanted that to come across in my app. Even listing previous jobs in construction, etc. Just don't come across like everyone else, at least not for EM.

Early morning rejections from Hopkins and and Hershey. The Hopkins application was more of a joke. To be honest I'm honored they sent a rejection instead of just ignoring me.

Reactions: 2 users
Rej U Washington
Hey islandAddy1881... any idea how SLOE's from last year are perceived, do they care the same weight as if they were from this year .... like a honors on SLOE from last year the same as a honors on SLOE from this year?

Hey islandAddy1881... any idea how SLOE's from last year are perceived, do they care the same weight as if they were from this year .... like a honors on SLOE from last year the same as a honors on SLOE from this year?
No clue. Most of my SLOE's are new so I really can't say. Also, no one has given me any specific feedback on my old SLOE.

St Joseph's in Patterson NJ invite. They didn't offer a range of dates, just assigned me 1/12.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,
Just one question when do they stop giving interviews? i mean when can I stop having hope

Just wanted to pop in as an IMG that matched into EM last year and give some advice:

1) Don't compare your scores as an indicator of your match ability. I had a 215/252 and I matched into one of my top programs, despite being told by others that I was not "competitive" by my peers. Scores may get you an interview, but a great interview usually gets you the rank....and the match. Scores are literally all over the place. There are tons of factors besides a step score.

2) You will get interviews well into December.

3) Obviously, do your research before every interview. At least one person every day will ask "why this program?". Don't sound like a robot. Winging it worked better for me than practicing answers beforehand.

4) I feel so weird that I have to even say this, but don't get intoxicated at the interview dinner. Seriously. Seen it twice already. I know they tell you that nothing the night before will be held against you...butttttt it does if you get drunk and loud. :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm in the dreaded intern year though, so it may take me a while to respond!

Good luck everyone! May the odds be ever in your favor!

Reactions: 5 users
Just wanted to pop in as an IMG that matched into EM last year and give some advice:

Good luck everyone! May the odds be ever in your favor!
Just wanted to say thanks for the words of encouragement man. As USMIMG and someone who applied broadly and only has been 1 wait list I have been kinda feeling down. I will keep my chin up though!

How should we prepare for the few interviews that we have?
i already submitted 4 LoR on my ERAS - 2 SLOE + 2 LoR, but I received another SLOE now, how do i submit this 5th letter that i have now?

You don't submit it and most programs will not accept it. It sucks especially if it's a good one but most if not all programs frown upon submitting additional letters submitted outside of eras :/. And the best way to prepare is to know your application cold and read reviews online.

You don't submit it and most programs will not accept it. It sucks especially if it's a good one but most if not all programs frown upon submitting additional letters submitted outside of eras :/. And the best way to prepare is to know your application cold and read reviews online.

That isn't true, at least it wasn't last year. I submitted additional SLOEs directly to the program. IDK if it made a difference, positive or negative. I would def let programs know that I have an additional letter. All of the programs I sent added additional letters accepted them and we talked about those SLOEs in all of those interviews.

How should we prepare for the few interviews that we have?
i already submitted 4 LoR on my ERAS - 2 SLOE + 2 LoR, but I received another SLOE now, how do i submit this 5th letter that i have now?
The problem is that many programs only allow 4 LoR and thus won't look at any more. Your best bet is to look up their reqs and see which ones say 4 LoR max. If they say 4 max, don't add them on eras because it can come across as you not a.knowing their policy and thus show uninterest or worse that you're b. Trying to subvert the system and break rules which is not something they want in a resident

The problem is that many programs only allow 4 LoR and thus won't look at any more. Your best bet is to look up their reqs and see which ones say 4 LoR max. If they say 4 max, don't add them on eras because it can come across as you not a.knowing their policy and thus show uninterest or worse that you're b. Trying to subvert the system and break rules which is not something they want in a resident
You can't actually add more than 4 LORs on ERAS.

Well than let him/her try and see what happens lol. But just be prepared for the positive as well as the negative effects that can happen. From my limited experience programs don't mind being updated for scores or research publications etc....but I was ways under the impression that if they wanted more than 4 letters, ERAS and their website would allow it/mention it.

Well than let him/her try and see what happens lol. But just be prepared for the positive as well as the negative effects that can happen. From my limited experience programs don't mind being updated for scores or research publications etc....but I was ways under the impression that if they wanted more than 4 letters, ERAS and their website would allow it/mention it.

Lol I have no ideas what the negatives would be. It would be more awkward when talking about where you've rotated to have to explain why you don't have a SLOE than just calling the PC and asking to add an additional SLOE. ERAS has a limit bc otherwise med students would upload letters from every interaction with a physician since their first well child check. Historically, most students did not go on >2 auditions and so they didn't need to accomodate so many SLOEs.

I honestly could care less whether he submits his fifth letter or not. It just seems a little like trying to go around the system. He should have only submitted 3 letters, while waiting for his 4th to come in like myself and so many other students did. It would have been convenient to have 4 letters and be complete back on September 15, by having a superfluous 4th letter as a placeholder sort of speak, but no I waited till my final sloe in mid October to submit my 4th and final letter because I was playing by the rules. It's an ethical issue, not a legality issue for me. But like I said let the kid do whatever he feels he needs to do...as I'm almost certain my opinion is going to matter to him anyways lol :)

Last edited:
I honestly could care less whether he submits his fifth letter or not. It just seems a little like trying to go around the system. He should have only submitted 3 letters, while waiting for his 4th to come in like myself and so many other students did. It would have been convenient to have 4 letters and be complete back on September 15, by having a superfluous 4th letter as a placeholder sort of speak, but no I waited till my final sloe in mid October to submit my 4th and final letter because I was playing by the rules. It's an ethical issue, not a legality issue for me. But like I said let the kid do whatever he feels he needs to do...as I'm almost certain my opinion is going to matter to him anyways lol :)
I believe it's not kosher to submit individual letters directly to indvidual programs. I don't know about like personal statement or resumes that might be chill. One acknowledgement specifically states they will only accept things submitted through ERAS. I'm like you I submitted 3 SLOES and just finished another ED rotation and am awaiting them to uploAd it. Then I will email some selected programs informing them that I have done so. Maybe get more than the 3 interviews I'm currently sitting on :(

I believe it's not kosher to submit individual letters directly to indvidual programs. I don't know about like personal statement or resumes that might be chill. One acknowledgement specifically states they will only accept things submitted through ERAS. I'm like you I submitted 3 SLOES and just finished another ED rotation and am awaiting them to uploAd it. Then I will email some selected programs informing them that I have done so. Maybe get more than the 3 interviews I'm currently sitting on :(

Unless the rules have changed between this year and last, ERAS will indeed only accept 4 letters, but the programs are free to take more and those letters may be used in consideration of your application. This is my anecdotal experience.

There is no ethical problem here and there is no "system." The program(s) are free to decline additional letters and they are free to invite/rank candidates they like, regardless of how many SLOEs they do or don't have.

It seems foolish and a waste of time to rotate, get a SLOE, and not even ask if programs you have applied to are interested in additional information. Programs don't blindly send invites to applicants who have a minimum number of "things" and scores in their ERAS application. We look at every piece of information and if there wasn't enough information at the time of first review, the application gets put on hold. There are usually two main decision points for programs considering applicants: extending an invite and rank position. Perhaps the initial SLOE(s) get you an interview, but that last additional SLOE may affect your rank position (in either direction, lol).

If someone thinks their additional SLOE is positive, they should ask a program if they're interested in additional data points. The program can always decline.

Also, you couldn't care less. Otherwise, you do care. ;)

I honestly could care less. Because if I "couldn't" care less... I wouldn't be on this site commenting ;). Got' em lol...also how do you explain the logistics of emailing a sloe to a program or multiple programs with it still being a confidential letter that was not read or reviewed by said student. I'm willing to bet no doctor or PD is willing to email this sloe to one let alone multiple programs for a student.

I honestly could care less. Because if I "couldn't" care less... I wouldn't be on this site commenting ;). Got' em lol...also how do you explain the logistics of emailing a sloe to a program or multiple programs with it still being a confidential letter that was not read or reviewed by said student. I'm willing to bet no doctor or PD is willing to email this sloe to one let alone multiple programs for a student.

Well played, sir.

I have 5 letters uploaded on ERAS (3 SLOEs + 2 non-EM LORs); why are people claiming that ERAS does not accept more than 4 letters? It is indeed true that the max number of letters you can send to any given program is 4, however.

For the curious, I only assigned 1/2 of my non-EM LORs to most programs; this made it possible to assigned my third (and really strong) SLOE to all programs I applied to.

I have 5 letters uploaded on ERAS (3 SLOEs + 2 non-EM LORs); why are people claiming that ERAS does not accept more than 4 letters? It is indeed true that the max number of letters you can send to any given program is 4, however.

For the curious, I only assigned 1/2 of my non-EM LORs to most programs; this made it possible to assigned my third (and really strong) SLOE to all programs I applied to.
You're being a bit pedantic here. Yes, you can upload 10 LORs if you have them. But you can only assign 4 to any one program. That's what we're talking about.

Reactions: 2 users
You're being a bit pedantic here. Yes, you can upload 10 LORs if you have them. But you can only assign 4 to any one program. That's what we're talking about.
SAT word of the day: Pediantic

Well, the PD's are back from ACEP and dishing out those declines!
Rej: UAB, U Arkansas, Emory, Northwestern (not that I expected an invite from any of these places)