2016 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) application - General discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! Long time reader of this forum and first time poster. I just received an email offer this morning for a position in Alaska. Obviously I'm super excited to have been offered a position after months of waiting, but I'm a little hesitant to accept this position, as I have no knowledge of Alaska and it is very far from home. Does anyone have any advice for making a decision like this? Or perhaps experience working in this region? I would love to hear from you! Good luck to all those still waiting! Thanks!
There are actually a small number of PHAPs who are assigned to that Alaska now. I'm not sure if they will actually be at your host site location. If they aren't currently reviewing this thread, I will reach out and see if they can contact you. Working for the CDC is all about being "ready to go", so I know some of you may not be excited about your assignment locations for various reasons, but the opportunities that you receive in these places are priceless and amazing. There is a huge push for more public health work with Alaskan Natives , Native Americans, and Asian/Pacific Islanders because there are disparities and problems unique to these groups that need addressing. This is an opportunity to gain experience that many of your PHAP cohorts won't have. Consider it. I am also not trying to invalidate any of your reasons for not going or hesitant about the host site. If an Alaska PHAP doesn't reach out, let me know, and I will get one to contact you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all - don't lose hope! I got my offer from Concord, NH this morning!

Unsure if I'm going to take it, as I have a job offer pending that will allow me to publish academic work and make a much higher salary. Advice? Thoughts? I've been in the public health field for about a year and a half and am trying to go straight into a PhD program, so publication potential is really at the top of my list right now in terms of making a decision. Do Associates get to write?

There are actually a small number of PHAPs who are assigned to that Alaska now. I'm not sure if they will actually be at your host site location. If they aren't currently reviewing this thread, I will reach out and see if they can contact you. Working for the CDC is all about being "ready to go", so I know some of you may not be excited about your assignment locations for various reasons, but the opportunities that you receive in these places are priceless and amazing. There is a huge push for more public health work with Alaskan Natives , Native Americans, and Asian/Pacific Islanders because there are disparities and problems unique to these groups that need addressing. This is an opportunity to gain experience that many of your PHAP cohorts won't have. Consider it. I am also not trying to invalidate any of your reasons for not going or hesitant about the host site. If an Alaska PHAP doesn't reach out, let me know, and I will get one to contact you.

Thank you so much for your response. I am going to accept, as I know it will be an incredibly rewarding and unique experience. I will definitely PM you about advice from former/current Alaska PHAP participants. Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi quick question, What is the percentage of people getting hired from PHAP. Like how many people got a CDC job right after PHAP
The number of CDC jobs available varies depending on funding and what divisions are looking to hire PHAPs. I would say there are roughly 30-40 positions available each year. A job with CDC is not guaranteed. Many associates choose to go back to school, take jobs at their host site, move to other federal agencies (e.g. NIH, FDA, etc), or move to non-profits/other local/state health departments. A CDC position post-PHAP is also not guaranteed to be permanent. Divisions can choose to hire PHAP either permanently or temporarily for a couple a years. PM if you have questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all - don't lose hope! I got my offer from Concord, NH this morning!

Unsure if I'm going to take it, as I have a job offer pending that will allow me to publish academic work and make a much higher salary. Advice? Thoughts? I've been in the public health field for about a year and a half and am trying to go straight into a PhD program, so publication potential is really at the top of my list right now in terms of making a decision. Do Associates get to write?

First, congrats! I guess it depends on your career plan, but it would like the other job is better, especially if pubs matter for you. I think some associates get a pub in the mmwr, but it's not very common as far as I know.

Unless you already have an graduate degree and want to continue on with the CDC immediately after PHAP, the other job might be better. I don't know much about PhD programs but unless they'd weigh former cdc employee > good job with pubs, I'd go with pubs.

Reactions: 1 user
First, congrats! I guess it depends on your career plan, but it would like the other job is better, especially if pubs matter for you. I think some associates get a pub in the mmwr, but it's not very common as far as I know.

Unless you already have an graduate degree and want to continue on with the CDC immediately after PHAP, the other job might be better. I don't know much about PhD programs but unless they'd weigh former cdc employee > good job with pubs, I'd go with pubs.

Thank you for the advice and feedback! I wound up accepting the other position, which means there is an open PHAP slot in Concord, NH. Good luck to all still waiting to hear back! This was a particularly competitive round and we all worked really hard to get here :)

Hi all! I am relocating to St. Augustine, Florida. Does anyone have any housing suggestions or any information on the area? Thank you all!

Hey all
I was offered a position in Richmond but ultimately turned it down to pursue a PhD in the DC area. Moved here, started the PhD, and now realizing a paying job would have been better. So, just you know, regretting my choices.

Just wanted to share that with you all. :) Good luck with the program. Looks like I'll be applying next year!

This is a question about security clearance. I'm wondering if it is possible to pass the first security clearance and fail the second? What happens if this is the case, since phaps have already been established employees at their host sites and also possibly moved across the country? I have nothing to hide, just curious! :hello: Congrats to all the 2016 invitees!!

PHAP Associates, does anyone have advice on introducing yourself to you supervisor for the first time? This position is really important for me and I would like to make a good first impression.

PHAP Associates, does anyone have advice on introducing yourself to you supervisor for the first time? This position is really important for me and I would like to make a good first impression.

I know this is extremely late, but...

When I introduced myself to my supervisor, I kept it short, sweet, and direct. I didn't want to overwhelm or bombard my supervisor. Here is what I sent below (minus my name and contact info, since it's a public forum):

"My name is ______. and as I'm sure you're probably aware by now, I have been placed in Barnstable, MA as part of the 2016 PHAP cohort. I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. I am excited to have been selected for this opportunity and I am eagerly looking forward to working with you and making a positive impact on the overall health and well-being of the residents of Barnstable, MA.

I am available by phone (XXX-XXX-XXXX) and by email ([email protected]) if you should need to contact me for any reason.

Sincerely,

Me Again"

I don't know if this is TMI or not, but I figured showing was easier than explaining. I hope that helps.

I'm a current associate and I just heard that 3470 applicants applied this year (highest in the past 3 years!). Good luck y'all! It's definitely a long process but the process is getting better each year. :)

Hi, I'm an undergrad majoring in Public Health and planning to apply to the PHAP. Can you help me answer some questions about the application process?

1. What does Phase I application require (transcript, recommendation letter, resume, cover letter)? How many recommendation letters do I need to submit and do I need to submit it during the 5 day application period in January?
2. How long were the interviews? How was it for you? Any advice?
3. Did you apply with a bachelor degree or master's? What made you a more outstanding applicant?
4, How do you like the program? Pros & Cons?
4. What does your typical work day as a Public Health Associate look like?

Thank you, thank you! :)

Hello, these are good questions. Feel free to ask more if you have more. :)

1. What does Phase I application require (transcript, recommendation letter, resume, cover letter)? How many recommendation letters do I need to submit and do I need to submit it during the 5 day application period in January?
I honestly don't remember the specific requirements but I don't think you need rec letters, just references. But I would check the requirements on the website. Phase 1 is passing the federal screening process, which is done thru the hiring website. If you pass, you will be given a request to submit a personal statement. Then your application will be passed onto CDC Staff and they will review it more carefully and decide if you are given an interview. Once you pass the interview, you're in!

It was somewhere between 30-45 min for me if I remember correctly. My interviewer couldn't use Skype that day so it was a call instead. It consisted of behavioral and scenario questions, so you def have to prepare by doing research beforehand.

3. Did you apply with a bachelor degree or master's? What made you a more outstanding applicant?
I applied with a bachelors, had good grades, good experiences, and willingness to be flexible.

Pros: affiliation with the CDC, gets your foot in the door, pays well for a post bacc job in public health (at least for me), very good exposure to front line and background public health work.

Cons: experiences can very widely depending on where you're placed. If your supervisor is new and/or super busy, you'll get the short end of the stick in terms of getting stuff to do.

5. What does your typical work day as a Public Health Associate look like?
This depends because some days are more exciting (on the field) than others. For the most part, I do a lot of my work on the computer and attend meetings/trainings/webinars. Again, other associates can tell you they are on their feet all day. It's just the luck of the draw.

Good luck!

Hello, these are good questions. Feel free to ask more if you have more. :)

I honestly don't remember the specific requirements but I don't think you need rec letters, just references. But I would check the requirements on the website. Phase 1 is passing the federal screening process, which is done thru the hiring website. If you pass, you will be given a request to submit a personal statement. Then your application will be passed onto CDC Staff and they will review it more carefully and decide if you are given an interview. Once you pass the interview, you're in!

It was somewhere between 30-45 min for me if I remember correctly. My interviewer couldn't use Skype that day so it was a call instead. It consisted of behavioral and scenario questions, so you def have to prepare by doing research beforehand.

I applied with a bachelors, had good grades, good experiences, and willingness to be flexible.

Pros: affiliation with the CDC, gets your foot in the door, pays well for a post bacc job in public health (at least for me), very good exposure to front line and background public health work.

Cons: experiences can very widely depending on where you're placed. If your supervisor is new and/or super busy, you'll get the short end of the stick in terms of getting stuff to do.

5. What does your typical work day as a Public Health Associate look like?
This depends because some days are more exciting (on the field) than others. For the most part, I do a lot of my work on the computer and attend meetings/trainings/webinars. Again, other associates can tell you they are on their feet all day. It's just the luck of the draw.

Good luck!

Hi PHgeek123,
I have an interview on Tuesday for the 2017 class. Would you mind giving me some examples of questions that were asked in the interview?

Hi PHgeek123,
I have an interview on Tuesday for the 2017 class. Would you mind giving me some examples of questions that were asked in the interview?
I would practice answering situational & behavioral questions (you can find tons of these online) using the STAR or CAR format. In my year, I only had like 5-8 questions to answer but I heard last year they had many more.

In any case, CALL ON TIME (be sure that you are calling in the right time zone!!!), try to not stare into space, ask interviewer "can I have some time to think about this" if you need time (but don't take too much time), and just be "bright eyed and bushy tailed", gracious, and DO NOT be rude or talk back to the interviewer (yes, this does happen...). If you find that your interview does not respond to your question and sounds like a robot, don't worry because my classmates have gotten those interviewers and they still made it. Just focus on ANSWERING THE QUESTION and don't delineate too much (yes, people do this too...). Good luck!

Hi! I'm a new 2017 PHAP that just got placed in Boston. Just wanted to see if anyone from the 2016 cohort was placed there and could provide information about cost of living, neighborhoods, etc. Feel free to send me a message. Thanks!

Hi there, new 2017 PHAP here. Does anyone have any tips on finding a roommate? I'm placed in Washington DC and would rather save my coins on rent.

Hi everyone,
i plan on applying for the 2018 cycle but will be studying abroad in India for two weeks in the middle of the January application. To save me some stress (since I won't have cell service all the time), can someone explain the school verification form? Is the form only accessible through the application or can we use one from our schools registrar? Does it need to be faxed by our school (hoping for electronic submission as I'll be abroad)? Also, can we submit a 2 page resume or does it specify just one page (through pdf, manual imput?? I'm still in school and graduate with my bachelors in May if that makes any difference. Thank you!!!!

Last edited: