2017-2018 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it happened to people you knew, you wouldn't be so flippant.
The pain and suffering is real.
Do you actually have anything substantial and concrete to say or are you going to be cryptic af?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear potential applicants,

Hi everyone. I'm a current student at Duke-NUS. School's been busy as hell so my replies won't be prompt.

Just want to tell everyone that med school is tough. No matter which school you go to, it will be extremely challenging. That said, I really enjoy my time here so far and everyone, staff, teachers and fellow students have been great company.

Also, there is a ghost who has been floating around this forum for the past few years. It is very difficult to defend against allegations when they come from the shadows. The reason for making this post is to let you potential applicants know, I have enjoyed my time here and hope you won't be driven off by this anonymous poster. Reach out to the staff through the Duke NUS website if you have any questions. Be proactive and get your information straight from the source.

Good luck~!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I am an alumni from Duke-NUS, and I must say that the school has done some downright nasty things to its students. All the while outwardly portraying only the positives, just as any advertising or sales rep would do. Juniors and prospective students, you will discover these in time to come once your delve deeper beyond the superficial into the school's not-too-distant ugly past. Med school is challenging, but some med school environments are more challenging than others. It is not any bit enjoyable once you've sobered up and witnessed or experienced the suffering inflicted by the school on yourself or your fellow classmates. Those you would not wish happen to yourself or anybody else. PM me to find out more. I am not at liberty to discuss cases publicly out of consideration for the confidentiality and privacy of the affected persons.

Dear dnusalumni,

I saw that that is your first post. Like me, you created a profile here only just recently. I am posting because school has been amazing for me and I do hope we get great students here as well.

Unlike me, you used this first post to attack the school.

Hurt people hurt. I do think you are the same person repeatedly posting the same negative things under different profile names. I wish you the best and hope you are able to move on from what must have been a difficult period in your life. All the best.

Compared to previous years, there seem to be a lot less posters here. I wonder if people are not applying as much to Duke NUS ?

I wonder if any one with 2nd Lower Honours got in? Thats where I am at....lol

Your second lower may be first class in other universities. Try to get excellent MCAT results and impressive research experience.

You should have a few years of work experience as a full-time researcher and co-authored some high impact journals.
Nah, not that illustrious

-3 months of summer research on histological assessment of mice gut ischemia reperfusion injury when treated with control vs experimental drug
-6 months of final year research elective on histological assessment of breast cancer tissue from mice model when treated with control vs experimental drug
-Honours project on real time PCR detection of cytokines in dog tumour model

Thats about it really.

Nah, not that illustrious

-3 months of summer research on histological assessment of mice gut ischemia reperfusion injury when treated with control vs experimental drug
-6 months of final year research elective on histological assessment of breast cancer tissue from mice model when treated with control vs experimental drug
-Honours project on real time PCR detection of cytokines in dog tumour model

Thats about it really.

How about your other areas like MCAT and voluntary/CCA work? your research seems pretty ok to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about your other areas like MCAT and voluntary/CCA work? your research seems pretty ok to me.
I dunno about MCAT, never took it. I took GAMSAT but the results wont be out till November.

I was a volunteer vet for a wildlife hospital for a year or so then now I volunteer for an organization looking after pets that belong to homeless people

Another application day next Monday! Can't wait to meet you folks coming down to Duke-NUS! Relax and have fun!

There was someone that was admitted with a higher end of 2nd lowers quite a long time ago, but that person had spectacular mcat and work experience. I think that person came from nursing, if I am not mistaken. The average applicant is getting a mid-second uppers and it doesn't help that the competition is getting higher especially since the local university(NUS) I am in, produced ~46% second uppers graduate in the previous yr cohort for life sciences. Even with a second uppers gpa, it's pretty tough to enter in. I have a close friend whom I still remain in close contact, that got a second uppers gpa but chose not to apply to duke nus. Instead, he decided to graduate with a 3yr bachelors, apply for graduate med at Sydney and was admitted there.

I dunno about MCAT, never took it. I took GAMSAT but the results wont be out till November.

I was a volunteer vet for a wildlife hospital for a year or so then now I volunteer for an organization looking after pets that belong to homeless people

GAMSAT is good enough for admission. Just curious, what led to the transition from veterinary towards medicine? I heard of mutual friends from vet getting into medicine, but they decided to switch to medicine, mainly because they prefer human interaction and mostly, they were high-performing students who seize the opportunity of medicine as long as they can enter in.

Just out of curiosity, what was the time interval between application and what did you do to improve your chances?

A friend of mine advised to apply during the early application period if possible since the admissions work a little like rolling admissions. If you apply earlier, you will have a stand-out advantage. He applied into duke-nus under early application and got in, his brother did the same the yr after.

Just out of curiosity, what was the time interval between application and what did you do to improve your chances?

I applied for last year's intake in October and was waitlisted in April this year :) But I continued volunteering throughout the year and re-took the MCAT again because I think it was my downfall. I also rewrote all the application essays and got a new recommendation letter from a prof. Hope this helps!

There was someone that was admitted with a higher end of 2nd lowers quite a long time ago, but that person had spectacular mcat and work experience. I think that person came from nursing, if I am not mistaken. The average applicant is getting a mid-second uppers and it doesn't help that the competition is getting higher especially since the local university(NUS) I am in, produced ~46% second uppers graduate in the previous yr cohort for life sciences. Even with a second uppers gpa, it's pretty tough to enter in. I have a close friend whom I still remain in close contact, that got a second uppers gpa but chose not to apply to duke nus. Instead, he decided to graduate with a 3yr bachelors, apply for graduate med at Sydney and was admitted there.
Jialat liao....not much chance for me I guess lol

well i guess thankfully at 2B Honours, I fufill all the minimum requirements for most Aussie medical school

GAMSAT is good enough for admission. Just curious, what led to the transition from veterinary towards medicine? I heard of mutual friends from vet getting into medicine, but they decided to switch to medicine, mainly because they prefer human interaction and mostly, they were high-performing students who seize the opportunity of medicine as long as they can enter in.
Last time young that time I always volunteer at SPCA so being a vet is a lifelong goal. When I came of age, I decide to do vet degree as an undergrad degree because it would help me tick off one item off my bucket list and I've always wanted to do medicine in humans and animals, so why not both? In Australia, there is no rules saying you cant do both and some of my classmates who did the vet degree with me and went straight into medicine did just that, although they stopped for a bit during residency and internship. I also felt that if I was going to do post grad medicine then the vet degree would be clinically relevant. In the vet degree I had to learn anatomy, biochemistry, genetics, physiology, infectious diseases, public health, anesthesia, surgery, internal medicine, etc for the different species. There is probably an even mix of MDs doing a vet degree and vice versa. The former Chief Medical Officer of Australia was trained in both human and veterinary medicine.

In my year, 5 of my classmates did medicine or dentistry after graduation, the numbers will likely increase as some of my classmates get sick of the veterinary profession. I quite enjoyed being a clinician, working up medical cases and performing surgeries but the thing about vet medicine is the cost constraint so most owners end up not always working up the case entirely (not many people want to spend $1500 on a CT scan for their pets) so I end up having to compromise. Having said that, I do like to help people and seeing pet owners get sad because their furbabies is sick and then helping their pet get better always lift my spirits. I hope to do the same for humans as well

The other thing at vet school I learn about the 'clinician scientist' model where some vets do after graduation and they get a PhD and work in research. Duke NUS seems big on the clinician scientist model and if possible I would like to do my PhD in Singapore given that the AUstralian stipends for PhD students is not enough at all. At 26k AUD per year, its a pittance of an allowance once you factor in rental (which eats up alot of money).

A friend of mine advised to apply during the early application period if possible since the admissions work a little like rolling admissions. If you apply earlier, you will have a stand-out advantage. He applied into duke-nus under early application and got in, his brother did the same the yr after.
GAMSAT scores wont be out for a while, I dont think I will even make the 1st Dec cut off

Last edited:
There was someone that was admitted with a higher end of 2nd lowers quite a long time ago, but that person had spectacular mcat and work experience. I think that person came from nursing, if I am not mistaken. The average applicant is getting a mid-second uppers and it doesn't help that the competition is getting higher especially since the local university(NUS) I am in, produced ~46% second uppers graduate in the previous yr cohort for life sciences. Even with a second uppers gpa, it's pretty tough to enter in. I have a close friend whom I still remain in close contact, that got a second uppers gpa but chose not to apply to duke nus. Instead, he decided to graduate with a 3yr bachelors, apply for graduate med at Sydney and was admitted there..

It will be interesting to know Sydney medical graduates and Duke NUS graduates will be competing for medical residencies in Singapore.Will they get their first choice residency? It seems Duke NUS graduates have some advantage because they are bonded.

I doubt your Sydney friend will be working in Australia because Australia is facing an excess of housemen

Last edited:
I think it's true dukenus grads will be preferred vs Aus, but there is more competition locally. I hope there is a levelled playground among three local med schools.

well i guess thankfully at 2B Honours, I fufill all the minimum requirements for most Aussie medical school

Last time young that time I always volunteer at SPCA so being a vet is a lifelong goal. When I came of age, I decide to do vet degree as an undergrad degree because it would help me tick off one item off my bucket list and I've always wanted to do medicine in humans and animals, so why not both? In Australia, there is no rules saying you cant do both and some of my classmates who did the vet degree with me and went straight into medicine did just that, although they stopped for a bit during residency and internship. I also felt that if I was going to do post grad medicine then the vet degree would be clinically relevant. In the vet degree I had to learn anatomy, biochemistry, genetics, physiology, infectious diseases, public health, anesthesia, surgery, internal medicine, etc for the different species. There is probably an even mix of MDs doing a vet degree and vice versa. The former Chief Medical Officer of Australia was trained in both human and veterinary medicine.

In my year, 5 of my classmates did medicine or dentistry after graduation, the numbers will likely increase as some of my classmates get sick of the veterinary profession. I quite enjoyed being a clinician, working up medical cases and performing surgeries but the thing about vet medicine is the cost constraint so most owners end up not always working up the case entirely (not many people want to spend $1500 on a CT scan for their pets) so I end up having to compromise. Having said that, I do like to help people and seeing pet owners get sad because their furbabies is sick and then helping their pet get better always lift my spirits. I hope to do the same for humans as well

The other thing at vet school I learn about the 'clinician scientist' model where some vets do after graduation and they get a PhD and work in research. Duke NUS seems big on the clinician scientist model and if possible I would like to do my PhD in Singapore given that the AUstralian stipends for PhD students is not enough at all. At 26k AUD per year, its a pittance of an allowance once you factor in rental (which eats up alot of money).

GAMSAT scores wont be out for a while, I dont think I will even make the 1st Dec cut off
i heard about there are some difficulties pushing forward the clinician scientists concept due to few number of MD PHD, so if you indicate you want to do a MD PHD, it could be a plus. Though they say they would judge all candidates fairly.

not yet.......i forgot about the slide they show the time taken regarding decision making process...but i think roughly 1 month. should be out sooooon, good luck!!!
apparently i am wrong..... there is no update.....buttt if someone had received the offer, pls let us know.....

I think it's true dukenus grads will be preferred vs Aus, but there is more competition locally. I hope there is a levelled playground among three local med schools.

i heard about there are some difficulties pushing forward the clinician scientists concept due to few number of MD PHD, so if you indicate you want to do a MD PHD, it could be a plus. Though they say they would judge all candidates fairly.
The one reason I didnt put MD-PhD on my application is that I dunno any scientists in Singapore and PhD are a massive endeavors that will require a knowledgeable and supportive supervisor/s. GOd help you if you get an unsupportive supervisor, you will legit feel like **** throughout the few years you do your research work. I feel it's more prudent to do the MD, get to know people and see how it goes.

I dont know about how Singapore medical residencies work but in veterinary residency programs some of them offer PhD as an addition to the program. Such as the American College of Veterinary Pathologists which takes about 4 years + 1 year extra if you want a PhD on top of it.

It's good that you have a fall-back option to look into >> Personally, I am targeting Aussie med, because I know it's a little unrealistic for me to try for Duke-NUS. I have a few friends targeting Duke-NUS and I fully encourage them to go for it, since they are faring well in their studies and research experience. However, if you are really focused on getting Duke-NUS,regardless of the admission outcome, do give Duke-NUS a shot.

Ah,I see, a change in interest as you have more exposure to the veterinary field. I knew of a friend who decided to go for allied healthcare profession (radiology), despite her vet diploma. She initially thought that she will be into vet for the long hurl, but opted out after some time because she preferred human interaction and thus, healthcare fitted her ideals. I am also in contact with a friend who didn't manage to get into vet overseas despite scoring top scores in her diploma and still having a strong interest in vet, she went to life sciences in local university due to financial expenses.

Students coming from different walks of life to graduate med is one of the reasons why I want to get into a graduate medical programme in Australia. I feel that the student community is really diverse, you get to interact with people who decided a certain field wasn't for them and some who re-took a second degree, in order to attain admission into graduate med.

Personally, I wouldn't do a PhD in the same country even if Duke NUS is recognised for it's clinician scientist niche and it's association with Duke university, unless $$ is an issue. First of all, it's definitely harder to get admission into. Next, gaining exposure to a new research environment as well as academics who share different perspectives, is a fundamental part of being a researcher. Lastly, expanding my horizons is something I hold quite strongly to. This might not apply to you since you did your undergraduate programme abroad. :)

He has the PEG grant, which allows him to come back to practise medicine locally. Yes, it's true that he might not get his first choice residency, but I feel that he made the best out of his situation. He chose to go for what he love rather than to be limited by the environment.

For me, I am open to the idea of practising med overseas. Despite the excess housemen there, there remains a shortage of doctors in rural healthcare. This is similar to New Zealand, though they do not have such a huge issue with excess housemen there. I am doing med more for the humanitarian aspect, to give back to poor regions and work in NGOs. For me, specialty comes after my goal of humanitarian work, in other words, I don't mind being a GP,etc. if I can carry out the abovementioned roles.

Hmm, a level playing field is hard to compare amongst the three local med schools. If duke nus grads enter into the clinical field, they tend to be behind because of the lesser clinical exposure compared to nus/ntu. If duke nus grads enter into clinical research field, they are better compared to nus/ntu. It really depends on where one goes,but I think the difference wouldn't be so large amongst the three schools as when one enters into a specific residency, things are more even, similar to how one adapts to the new change in environment.

You are right to say that MD PhD has less strict requirements, except a good research portfolio. Traditionally,less applicants apply for the MD PhD,so for those that get called up for interviews, there is a higher chance of admission compared to MD.

Last edited:
For me, I am open to the idea of practising med overseas. Despite the excess housemen there, there remains a shortage of doctors in rural healthcare. This is similar to New Zealand, though they do not have such a huge issue with excess housemen there. I am doing med more for the humanitarian aspect, to give back to poor regions and work in NGOs. For me, specialty comes after my goal of humanitarian work, in other words, I don't mind being a GP,etc. if I can carry out the abovementioned roles.
Same lah, these days I use my vet degree for volunteer work. I make my money working for govt.

hello, anyone knows how much the school weighs post-graduate degrees like MSc? thanks a lot

Hi jedrek, you seem to be very knowledgeable with the duke nus admission system. I was wondering if you know anything about being called back for a 3rd interview by duke nus?

Do poster presentation at those medical research conferences count for anything?

Dear @jedrek ,

Hope you are doing well!
You were talking about the second class honors. I am studying in Canada and do not get what that is. Could you, please, briefly explain.

Also is it true that NUS prefers to admit Singapore descendants over international students of other nationalities?

anyone knows if the school has started offering acceptance offers alr?

Hello there,

this might help you interpret US/UK gpa/honours classification system.

First Class Honours (1st): Summa Cum Laude (GPA = 3.7 - 4.0)
Upper Second Class Honours (2i): Magna Cum Laude (GPA = 3.3 - 3.69)
Lower Second Class Honours (2ii): Magna Cum Laude (GPA = 3.0 - 3.29)
Third Class Honours (3rd): Cum Laude (GPA = 2.7 - 2.99)

Also, there are many foreign students studying in Singapore and the school does grant foreign students scholarships/financial aid based on merit. I don't think you should be overly concerned about preference for locals over foreign students!

Dear @jedrek ,

Hope you are doing well!
You were talking about the second class honors. I am studying in Canada and do not get what that is. Could you, please, briefly explain.

Hello there,

Also, there are many foreign students studying in Singapore and the school does grant foreign students scholarships/financial aid based on merit. I don't think you should be overly concerned about preference for locals over foreign students!
Dear @zackksg,
Thanks for clarifying! I am studying in Canada (GPA 3.88, MCAT 517) and really want to move to Singapore because, honestly, Duke-NUS readily spends a lot to support high-tech research, so it has one of the greatest potentials to realize in the nearest few years. What do you think about my chances, given that I will be writing a neuroimaging thesis next year and I will have been volunteering for 3000 hours in clinics by the next summer? :)

Dear @zackksg,
Thanks for clarifying! I am studying in Canada (GPA 3.88, MCAT 517) and really want to move to Singapore because, honestly, Duke-NUS readily spends a lot to support high-tech research, so it has one of the greatest potentials to realize in the nearest few years. What do you think about my chances, given that I will be writing a neuroimaging thesis next year and I will have been volunteering for 3000 hours in clinics by the next summer? :)
you know the PrEP program of Duke NUS?
probably happen before next cycle early acceptance deadline. you could apply hat first and spend a week at duke nus to see if it fits you

Dear @zackksg,
Wowwwww. Your grades and mcat are above average. Why do you want to come to duke-nus though?

Sent from my SM-N950F using SDN mobile

Wowwwww. Your grades and mcat are above average. Why do you want to come to duke-nus though?

Sent from my SM-N950F using SDN mobile
Dear @Enerrior ,
Because Duke-NUS is investing so much in the research and its students, I can infer that Duke-NUS is interested in the success of their students, meaningful academic engagement. Also, I really like Singaporean culture, as it is a nice fusion of the wealthy tradition, rapidly developing technologies and economics, therefore affording stable, familial environment to make a difference both on a global scale, through research, on in the community, through practicing medicine.

Dear @zackksg,

Dear Lazy Surgeon,

You have a great academic track record. I do think the chances are very good. You're right that the school places a lot of emphasis on research and definitely gaining some research experience and building up a volunteering track record will be well regarded. We do have a MD-PhD program and also the MD program. I've had the chance to interact with quite a few researchers and found them to be passionate to both their fields of research and teaching students, which is something I really appreciate.

That said, you are also looking at a big career move and change in environment likely for the next decade. It is a big commitment and definitely something to consider. Beyond spending time in your research and volunteering, you might also want to find out more about living in Singapore etc. from different sources to make an informed decision. It is exciting though, isn't it?

Dear Lazy Surgeon,

You have a great academic track record. I do think the chances are very good. You're right that the school places a lot of emphasis on research and definitely gaining some research experience and building up a volunteering track record will be well regarded. We do have a MD-PhD program and also the MD program. I've had the chance to interact with quite a few researchers and found them to be passionate to both their fields of research and teaching students, which is something I really appreciate.

That said, you are also looking at a big career move and change in environment likely for the next decade. It is a big commitment and definitely something to consider. Beyond spending time in your research and volunteering, you might also want to find out more about living in Singapore etc. from different sources to make an informed decision. It is exciting though, isn't it?
Dear @zackksg ,

Exactly! :)

Dear @Enerrior ,
Because Duke-NUS is investing so much in the research and its students, I can infer that Duke-NUS is interested in the success of their students, meaningful academic engagement. Also, I really like Singaporean culture, as it is a nice fusion of the wealthy tradition, rapidly developing technologies and economics, therefore affording stable, familial environment to make a difference both on a global scale, through research, on in the community, through practicing medicine.
You are from Canada, is our medical schools and the residency programs offered by the Singapore medical council recognized in Canada?

Hello there,

For their application process, is there any particular factor that trumps the others? Most medical schools in Australia favor high grades or good GAMSAT score or both.

You are from Canada, is our medical schools and the residency programs offered by the Singapore medical council recognized in Canada?
Dear @theunraveler
Honestly, I am not a Canadian citizen. And no, Canada hardly accepts any trained professionals from any country. But, frankly, regardless of where you get trained, commitment to service in any community develops fundamental humanistic values, in a physician, to engage in a meaningful research and make a global difference, given the institution, at which the professional serves, is providing enough support to develop her/his ideas, come up with great solutions and save lives all over the World. I have several professors in my university, who are faculty members both here and in US/UK/Germany/Japan, and their research really makes difference. Of course, they also serve the local community: the local patients are able to get innovative treatment "right from the bakery". But I can see how their contribution will become tangible in the nearest future. That is why I really aim at the schools with global possibilities, innovative academic approach, and generous support to students/doctors/faculty members. :)

Just be mindful that Singapore is quite an expensive place to live, transportation system here is fast becoming 3rd world and the rentals here cost a fortune

@theunraveler Hm, the rental costs, I think, can't really be higher than in Canada. But what do you mean by 3rd World transportation?

constant breakdown of trains lol. But i must say that the number of train breakdowns has been cutting down over the years.

Btw, have you been to Singapore? :)

constant breakdown of trains lol. But i must say that the number of train breakdowns has been cutting down over the years.

Btw, have you been to Singapore? :)
I am a Singapore citizen

Dear @Enerrior ,

Unfortunately, no :)

I see. like what markyourcalendar said, you can try out the PrEP programme and take the chance to visit Singapore. You will be here for minimum 10 years so I would strongly recommend you to come here and see it for yourself. :)

I see. like what markyourcalendar said, you can try out the PrEP programme and take the chance to visit Singapore. You will be here for minimum 10 years so I would strongly recommend you to come here and see it for yourself. :)
Are you a resident of Singapore and do you study at Duke-NUS?