2017-2018 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New to this site. Wondering if I should apply. From the Northeast, gpa 3.68, mcat 505, EMT, and rsch experience. Should I apply? Thank you!
Yes, IMO with those stats I believe you're competitive for any DO school. Make sure that you take heed of the fact some schools have considerable in-state bias, so regardless of how competitive you are you still may get rejected (RowanSOM NJ, MSU-SOM michigan, OHU-SOM Ohio to my knowledge). Possibly try your in-state MD programs might have a shot. Give goro, gyngyn, faha a shout on here they know way more than I do about how competitive an applicant will be.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How long after you submit their secondary does it take to show up on the applicant portal as received?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a call for II yesterday! First one of the cycle. I'm IS and really excited, VCOM is probably my top choice! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! When were you complete?

Thank you!! 09/08/2017....so I received it after 11 days. Super weird, I've been reading a bunch on here and some people are hearing back really quick and others nothing.....best of luck!

Thank you!! 09/08/2017....so I received it after 11 days. Super weird, I've been reading a bunch on here and some people are hearing back really quick and others nothing.....best of luck!
It could be because your stats is really good and you really convinced them from your secondary

Reactions: 1 user
I'M GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!!! They just called me to offer an acceptance! Best of luck to everyone, and keep fighting the good fight!

Reactions: 12 users
Has anyone been complete since beginning of August and not heard anything? I'm IS and I've heard from a couple OOS DO schools and med schools but nothing from here :(

I submitted my primary 9/12, secondary 9/14, received an email that I was complete 9/20.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would they consider military service as a volunteer or service activity for the 3rd essay question?

Would they consider military service as a volunteer or service activity for the 3rd essay question?

Definitely falls under service. If you feel like your service played a huge role in choosing medicine and you can write about it well, then go for it.

P.S. Thank you for your service!

Y'all I just submitted my secondary to VCOM-VA and it was only $25.

Does this school do silent rejections? Ive been complete since the end of July & still nothing. Does anyone know if rejection letters have been sent out too?

Does this school do silent rejections? Ive been complete since the end of July & still nothing. Does anyone know if rejection letters have been sent out too?
Do they send rejection letters in snail mail or at all? I’m wondering that too. Also been complete for awhile, but I seems like they’re still moving slowly. At least from what I’m seeing on SDN. Maybe we’ll get good news soon.

still have yet to receive a secondary from them... my primary was received by them Aug. 3

Not receiving a secondary, unless you are below the screening cutoff, is very strange to me. I’m not familiar with another school that sends out secondaries like this

I would just call or email them about it. I got my secondary almost immediately and I don't have impressive stats.

I called them yesterday, and they informed me that they recalculated my sGPA and cGPA (for the last 120 credits) which resulted in a pretty significant bump.... which definitely puts me over their 3.2 cutoff. Still am not sure as to why I haven't received a secondary at this point given what they told me.

I called them yesterday, and they informed me that they recalculated my sGPA and cGPA (for the last 120 credits) which resulted in a pretty significant bump.... which definitely puts me over their 3.2 cutoff. Still am not sure as to why I haven't received a secondary at this point given what they told me.
Could they be screening based on your MCAT as well?

Could it be an MCAT subsection cutoff? I got 504 but I have 124 in one of my sections. I have 3.5 cumulative and 3.3 science so I definitely meet their cutoff. At this point in the cycle, I don't even think it's worth it to submit a secondary even if I get one.

Could they be screening based on your MCAT as well?
Could it be an MCAT subsection cutoff? I got 504 but I have 124 in one of my sections. I have 3.5 cumulative and 3.3 science so I definitely meet their cutoff. At this point in the cycle, I don't even think it's worth it to submit a secondary even if I get one.

They could, but I doubt it. I read through last years thread and I saw multiple students gain acceptances with 498 and 497s. I have a 499 with a 123 in CP, so it is certainly not a phenomenal score, but it apparently didn't hold back students last cycle.

If you get a secondary in the next two months I would submit it for sure! its only 25$ and its very early in the cycle still....

To anyone:
How long did you have to wait to get the complete email once everything was turned in?
Also how long after being completed have people been hearing back for an II?
Thanks!

To clarify some stuff for this school, I talked with admissions today and they haven't even really been interviewing for regular decision yet, which really picks up in October. September is primarily for early decision unless you have an outstanding application. Seems as though some people are starting to worry about rejections already. I would not worry as it is still quite early, especially since VCOM is a little slower than a lot of medical schools. Admissions told me it can take up to 2 months after receiving a complete email to get an II or hear anything back. Also, I am pretty positive there is no MCAT cutoff for this school. Their average MCAT for matriculants for 2016 was 498-499 based on VCOMs stat data, and the average cGPA 3.6 and sGPA 3.5 for the last 120 credit hours. They place higher emphasis on GPA and the last 120 credit hours, which is good for those non-trads or applicants that need a second chance. I also think they have a slight IS bias, not huge, but slight.
Raw data for VCOM:
https://www.vcom.edu/handbooks/outcomes/files/assets/common/downloads/VCOM Outcomes Report.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I have a 123 in one section and got my secondary fairly fast. Maybe call?

Are you from that region? I am not and I think that's why.
Nope not from the region either. I have no idea. My GPAs are above their cut offs, and all my subsections on the MCAT are above 125. I don't know why I haven't gotten a secondary.

Nope not from the region either. I have no idea. My GPAs are above their cut offs, and all my subsections on the MCAT are above 125. I don't know why I haven't gotten a secondary.
When did you submit your primary app? I submitted my primaries first week in July and then didn't get a secondary for a longggg time I think mid august, then I didn't send in my secondary until late august and didn't get a complete email until like 2 weeks ago. This school just takes a little longer than average. With stats like that, I am sure you will get something soon. Try giving them a call they are very nice on the phone!

When did you submit your primary app? I submitted my primaries first week in July and then didn't get a secondary for a longggg time I think mid august, then I didn't send in my secondary until late august and didn't get a complete email until like 2 weeks ago. This school just takes a little longer than average. With stats like that, I am sure you will get something soon. Try giving them a call they are very nice on the phone!
I submitted my primary app in mid-June. I'm considering just letting it go because I don't want to do another secondary. I really like this school but I have other schools that have been much more responsive so

Just received the official 'application complete' email! It said that if we're granted an interview, we will be notified via phone. I wish they'd notify folks via email, instead:(. Sometimes I don't trust these phones with receiving calls lol. I've had this issue in the past

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the email also said that they will be scheduling interviews for ED applications starting mid-September, and for general applicants in early October.
I am new here, so when u say general applicants do u mean for the people who applied to all three campus?

I am new here, so when u say general applicants do u mean for the people who applied to all three campus?

No, when I said general applicants I meant those who are not applying early decision!

A little surprised I haven't heard from this school. I have acceptances at CUSOM and PCOM-GA. Wondering if I should just withdraw at this point. Do the VCOMs give out much merit money?

They're just slow (My uncle told me who graduated from here). I submitted my secondary the first week of July and just heard back, lol. Don't withdraw just yet.

A little surprised I haven't heard from this school. I have acceptances at CUSOM and PCOM-GA. Wondering if I should just withdraw at this point. Do the VCOMs give out much merit money?
I feel the same way... I was complete beginning of August as an IS student. I have heard back from other DO schools and med schools and have yet to hear back from the first DO school I applied to.

I just called VCOM-VA and admissions told me that they take a little longer than normal, so do not give up hope yet. I was complete about 4 weeks ago and still haven't heard yet. They said that they just started interviewing for regular decision this week (regular decision IIs begin early october they said). Unless your app is extraordinary or you applied ED, then it is just a waiting game and considering it is now October you will probably hear sooner rather than later. They interview all the way through until late April, so there is A LOT of time yet.

Reactions: 2 users
I just called VCOM-VA and admissions told me that they take a little longer than normal, so do not give up hope yet. I was complete about 4 weeks ago and still haven't heard yet. They said that they just started interviewing for regular decision this week (regular decision IIs begin early october they said). Unless your app is extraordinary or you applied ED, then it is just a waiting game and considering it is now October you will probably hear sooner rather than later. They interview all the way through until late April, so there is A LOT of time yet.
Thanks for this, I was getting a little anxious about hearing from this school. Would you happen to know if this wait period applies to all 3 campuses?

Thanks for this, I was getting a little anxious about hearing from this school. Would you happen to know if this wait period applies to all 3 campuses?
I am not 100% sure if it applies to all three campuses, but I THINK it does (don't quote me on that though haha). Definitely do not give up hope yet, IIs will be coming (they will call you for an II, not email you, so if you see a random number pick up! lol).

I am not 100% sure if it applies to all three campuses, but I THINK it does (don't quote me on that though haha). Definitely do not give up hope yet, IIs will be coming (they will call you for an II, not email you, so if you see a random number pick up! lol).

Yeah guys! Don’t give up hope :) Also check your email too, cause I think they contact you one or the other. I got contacted for II via email