2017-2018 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any current or past VCOM students know what traffic/rush hour is like in Blacksburg? I know it’s not huge but with VTech I imagine certain times of day could be subject to a big rush.

I am also looking at a few places in Christiansburg to rent, it looks like only a 10 minute drive right now without traffic, but I’m wondering if that’s true at certain times of the day. Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
10-15 minutes is on par with what I’ve heard, if you’ve been accepted you should join the Facebook group for class of 2022 (and the one for 2021), everyone is very helpful with questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Do any current or past VCOM students know what traffic/rush hour is like in Blacksburg? I know it’s not huge but with VTech I imagine certain times of day could be subject to a big rush.

I am also looking at a few places in Christiansburg to rent, it looks like only a 10 minute drive right now without traffic, but I’m wondering if that’s true at certain times of the day. Any help is appreciated!

I currently live in Christiansburg and work right next to VCOM. It takes about 12-15 minutes to get to work in the morning with traffic. Depending on where in Christiansburg you're staying, it may take a couple extra minutes. Overall, it's a very easy commute.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone - for those who have been accepted, are any of you OOS? Thinking of applying this cycle. Thank you!

Hey guys! I got the "you are one of the top 3 on the waitlist and to have everything ready" email. What are my chances considering school starts in 2 weeks?

Hey guys! I got the "you are one of the top 3 on the waitlist and to have everything ready" email. What are my chances considering school starts in 2 weeks?
Not sure of the odds but there’s always a chance! Better to be safe and start preparing the necessary items for school now so that when the time comes you’re ready.

I'm currently looking for one more person for our three bedroom apartment. If anyone still looking for a place, let me know!

Just wondering if anyone was accepted this past cycle with a sub-500 mcat! Congrats to everyone matriculating!

Edited to add: Also, if you did have a lower MCAT score, what do you think helped your app stand out?

Last edited:
Was anyone who was complete around mid-September accepted?

Also, regarding letters, my committee letter/packet includes a letter from a physician. Would this be enough to fulfill the requirement for a letter from a practicing physician? Or would I need a second, stand-alone physician letter? I'm going to call admissions and ask, but was wondering if anyone in the past had a similar situation.

Was anyone who was complete around mid-September accepted?

Also, regarding letters, my committee letter/packet includes a letter from a physician. Would this be enough to fulfill the requirement for a letter from a practicing physician? Or would I need a second, stand-alone physician letter? I'm going to call admissions and ask, but was wondering if anyone in the past had a similar situation.
I’m pretty sure I was complete in September. I was interviewed and accepted in October. I think as long as the letter is signed by a DO, you’ll be good.

Edit: I think the letter has to be a standalone, not part of the committee letter. It’s supposed to be from a DO you shadowed. That won’t prevent you from getting an interview though. The letter will be due some time after you are accepted, before matriculation.

@stickgirl390

Thanks! Would you mind sharing your general stats/II timeframe? Here or over PM.
your privacy settings won’t let me PM you.

I was actually mistaken: I was complete August 8 and got my II October... 8th I think. I was offered the interview 3-4 days before the actual interview (they let me pick a date so I just chose the sooner one). Then I was accepted 3 business days later.

GPA and sGPA 3.8, MCAT 505 But honestly I think my interviews went EXTREMELY well. My stats just got me in the door.