2017-2018 University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! I can't believe I'm finally posting in this thread - feels like I've been waiting forever, and now I don't even know what to say. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current UASOM student comment on the primary care tract? I'm interest in applying for that option but would like to hear more about it first?

Here's to hoping they do away with that "rural" secondary prompt.

Anybody got a secondary from here yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

1) Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now? (750 Char)

2) Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application (750 Char)

3)Briefly indicate how you would add diversity to our medical school class (750 Char)

Optional: Do you consider yourself rural? (Y/N)

If "yes", describe life experiences that illustrate this (1500 Char)

Primary Care track:

1) The concept of community can be described as a geographic region, a demographic group, or a social group among other descriptions. Describe your interest in medicine and how you hope to impact a community or communities. (1500 Char)

1) Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now? (750 Char)

2) Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application (750 Char)

3)Briefly indicate how you would add diversity to our medical school class (750 Char)

Primary Care track:

1) The concept of community can be described as a geographic region, a demographic group, or a social group among other descriptions. Describe your interest in medicine and how you hope to impact a community or communities. (1500 Char)

Thanks boss!

Primary Care track:

did you get the secondary or is this from last year?

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current UASOM student comment on the primary care tract? I'm interest in applying for that option but would like to hear more about it first?
Disclaimer: Not a UASOM student but have been keeping close eye on the primary care track since learning of its potential release earlier this year. I'm a three time reapp :(

If you are referencing the ability to select the new primary care track on the secondary, this is the first year they've offered a direct primary care track. This is also different from UA's rural medical program, but it seems to kinda follow the same path but without the master's degree you would get from UA.

First two years at UASOM with the third year at UA involved in their longitudinal clerkship.

If anyone has contrary info, please correct me.

Disclaimer: Not a UASOM student but have been keeping close eye on the primary care track since learning of its potential release earlier this year. I'm a three time reapp :(

If you are referencing the ability to select the new primary care track on the secondary, this is the first year they've offered a direct primary care track. This is also different from UA's rural medical program, but it seems to kinda follow the same path but without the master's degree you would get from UA.

First two years at UASOM with the third year at UA involved in their longitudinal clerkship.

If anyone has contrary info, please correct me.
I pray that you get accepted to UAB this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received just now

Ugh. 750-character diversity essay? Really, UAB?

Just got a 'review in progress, don't need secondary yet' email from the mstp. Anyone else here applying to that?

Complete, Go Blazers!

Question for those that have received a secondary already. For the section addressing the courses completed, asking for "yes or no" for biology, chemistry, etc. When you click yes another prompt appears asking "which semester". Are they asking for all the semesters you completed a biology course or the last semester you took a biology course? Sorry for my confusion, just seems a little ambiguous to me.

Question for those that have received a secondary already. For the section addressing the courses completed, asking for "yes or no" for biology, chemistry, etc. When you click yes another prompt appears asking "which semester". Are they asking for all the semesters you completed a biology course or the last semester you took a biology course? Sorry for my confusion, just seems a little ambiguous to me.
It was ambiguous, to say the least. But I believe that we're to list the semester that satisfies the requirement. For example, the school mentions: In order to meet the Chemistry requirement, we must take either Biochemistry or 8 semester hours of Organic Chemistry (with lab). If a student took O.Chem I in the Fall of 2014 and O. Chem II in the Spring of 2015, then he/she would type in Spring 2015 into the box.

It was ambiguous, to say the least. But I believe that we're to list the semester that satisfies the requirement. For example, the school mentions: In order to meet the Chemistry requirement, we must take either Biochemistry or 8 semester hours of Organic Chemistry (with lab). If a student took O.Chem I in the Fall of 2014 and O. Chem II in the Spring of 2015, then he/she would type in Spring 2015 into the box.
Awesome @DreamPursuer that makes way more sense now!! :) THX

To all the re-applicants out there the admission committee is no longer waiting until January to review reapps' files. Just as a heads up!!

Do they only considers those with ties to alabama?
I'm a bit hesitant to submit my secondary because I'm OOS with below their avg stats (3.6/506)

Do they only considers those with ties to alabama?
I'm a bit hesitant to submit my secondary because I'm OOS with below their avg stats (3.6/506)
The adcom accepts those with non-Alabama ties as well. And I'd say go ahead and apply. You're stats are about the same as the average stats for OOS applicants.

For those of you that are OOS and had no ties to Alabama, did you put anything for that question asking about ties? Or did you leave it blank?

Yup! I just received an email about the program this morning
Same! Do you know if we can still be considered for Regular MD admissions if we aren't admitted to the primary track?

Just got a 'review in progress, don't need secondary yet' email from the mstp. Anyone else here applying to that?

When was your primary verified? I was verified Jul 27 and just wondering how long they are taking to do initial review before secondary invites.

Same! Do you know if we can still be considered for Regular MD admissions if we aren't admitted to the primary track?
I emailed them right after receiving that email. The admission office verified that if you don't get an invite for the Primary Care Track Interview you are placed in review for regular admission interview invites. I didn't think to ask at the time, if we don't get accepted into the primary care track are we eligible for regular admissions. I want to optimistically say we would role over to be reviewed under regular admissions just like if we don't get an invite.
If anyone has heard anything counter to what's above, please correct me.

II! I'm OOS and scheduled my interview for 8/31 (only available date??). Super excited and nervous. Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
II!! IS, ORM, submitted 7/31. Only interview date is 8/31. See you there agholt96, and good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
II. ORM, IS, Submitted 8/10. Only interview date available for me was 9/14.

Looks like they only give you one date. Good luck to everyone applying!

II. ORM, IS, Submitted 8/10. Only interview date available for me was 9/14.

Looks like they only give you one date. Good luck to everyone applying!
Are you early decision, MSTP or regular admission?
Good Luck on your interview!!!

Hey quick question. I received a secondary from UAB on July 24th, and I know it said to reply within two weeks. Should I go ahead and fill out the secondary anyway, or is it too late and the application will be automatically rejected?