2017-2018 University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it worth applying here still? I got my secondary 16 days ago, but was unable to return the secondary within the 2 week time-frame due to financial constraints. Anyways, I just got paid and want to send my secondary in now, but worry i'd be wasting my money now given I have already exceeded their 2 week recommendation on returning the secondary. For what it's worth, i am interested in their primary care track with a relatively unique background: LM mid-60s (blah), non-traditional, MPH degree, and like a dozen medical research publications with half of them 1st authorships, but have no ties to Alabama :/

I think you should go for it; I have an interview, I'm OOS no ties to Alabama Lizzy-M around 67-69 and have an interview with the Primary Care Track. Another thing to note is I received 2 interviews (OUWB and UMass) last year, and I submitted my secondary after the 2 week recommended time frame, it kinda means that they will look at your app thoroughly and it seems like you have a lot to offer. I would go for it if I were you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should go for it; I have an interview, I'm OOS no ties to Alabama Lizzy-M around 67-69 and have an interview with the Primary Care Track. Another thing to note is I received 2 interviews (OUWB and UMass) last year, and I submitted my secondary after the 2 week recommended time frame, it kinda means that they will look at your app thoroughly and it seems like you have a lot to offer. I would go for it if I were you!

When were you complete? I am also OOS and applying to the Primary Care Track.

Members don't see this ad :)
UABAdmissions just tweeted that they'd make Early Decision acceptance calls today. Best of luck everyone :)

Happy that some of my friends got accepted ED today! First regular decision will come out October 15th according to the Twitter Account!

Reactions: 1 users
Got a call from AUBs ADCOM today encouraging me to submit my secondary. SO... AUB Adcom I just paid the $100 secondary just for you and submitted it a few min ago. 'Twas my last secondary of this year's application cycle. JESUS TAKE THE WHEELl!

Received the rejection email today. Re-applicant, IS, was put on the second tier alternate list last application cycle (my first time to apply), but was never accepted. I've requested a feedback appointment to hopefully receive some helpful explanation for their decision

Received the rejection email today. Re-applicant, IS, was put on the second tier alternate list last application cycle (my first time to apply), but was never accepted. I've requested a feedback appointment to hopefully receive some helpful explanation for their decision

Yup, I was an in-state re-applicant and got rejected via email today too, didn't even get an interview this round. Feedback last cycle was that I was rejected because of my complete lack of research experience and small amount of primary care shadowing (currently working research full time and have been shadowing pediatrics). They said my MCAT and GPA were fine and that my interview was stellar last cycle.

I guess it's the new dean of admissions.

Yup, I was an in-state re-applicant and got rejected via email today too, didn't even get an interview this round. Feedback last cycle was that I was rejected because of my complete lack of research experience and small amount of primary care shadowing (currently working research full time and have been shadowing pediatrics). They said my MCAT and GPA were fine and that my interview was stellar last cycle.

I guess it's the new dean of admissions.

Damn dude that sucks hearing that man. It seems like you made the most of your year off too. I hope you can get an acceptance somewhere. Keep your head up. Sending positive vibes. :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Re-applicant. IS. Complete 09/08. Really hoping to hear from them soon with an II.

Hey everybody, just checking in - I'm an MSTP applicant, and I got a "Your applicant is under final review" email on 8/25. Got the secondary 7/26 and submitted 7/29.

Did anyone else get that email? Any MSTP IIs yet?
I submitted my app one day after you and received that email three days after you but no II yet. I'm OOS for Alabama tho.

Been complete since August 9th. Nothing yet.:xf:

I submitted my app one day after you and received that email three days after you but no II yet. I'm OOS for Alabama tho.
I don't believe MSTP has been looked at yet. They have three interview dates this month and I doubt any are for MSTP

II last Thursday. Title of e-mail made it clear that it was an invite but the body of the message was "This is a test." I was able to sign up and called them today to double check; apparently they have had a few technical difficulties lately. So if any of you receive the most anticlimactic II email from here in the future...its good news.

II last Thursday. Title of e-mail made it clear that it was an invite but the body of the message was "This is a test." I was able to sign up and called them today to double check; apparently they have had a few technical difficulties lately. So if any of you receive the most anticlimactic II email from here in the future...its good news.
Are you OOS? Also complete date?

Just a heads up for the other neurotic pre-meds out there... you may get a small, single page letter via snail mail after your interview. It's probably just a short note from the dean thanking you for interviewing! I freaked out a little bit thinking the worse haha.

Just a heads up for the other neurotic pre-meds out there... you may get a small, single page letter via snail mail after your interview. It's probably just a short note from the dean thanking you for interviewing! I freaked out a little bit thinking the worse haha.
When will they let you know if you are accepted or not?

Any idea when the next round of offer announcement will be? For us November interviewers.

Accepted this morning! Interview was 9/14. IS, LizzyM ~71. Hope to see all of y'all next year!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats !!! Do you mind sharing what the interviews were like?

I can't really speak to how the interview will be for Primary Care track (idk if it's different?), but I guess I can offer up advice based on my regular MD interview.

The whole process really wasn't all that bad or stressful. The MMIs were fun, even. The best way to practice for those is just finding questions on the internet and running through several of those. Get someone to practice with you and get them to ask you questions about your answers and challenge you on them, since they do that in the interview sometimes.

The one-on-one interview was REALLY relaxed. Super conversational. The interviewer asked me a few specific questions (why medicine, my view on the doctor-patient relationship, etc.), but otherwise he was super nice and let me choose how the conversation went.

This is what I posted a while back. Best of luck in your interview!!

Also accepted this morning! Congratz to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Have any OOS applicants not doing the Primary Care Tract received an interview invite?

Have any OOS applicants not doing the Primary Care Tract received an interview invite?

You sir have an amazing profile picture and clearly have good taste in classic cartoons

Does anyone have an idea of when UAB might start sending interview invites to OOS who were complete in early September?

Does anyone have an idea of when UAB might start sending interview invites to OOS who were complete in early September?

I was complete Aug 22 and received an II around September 15th-ish, but I'm an OOS on the Primary care track, so they could've streamlined those applicants. But I think it's also important to let things take their natural course as there's A LOT of complexities that come into the review process like which adcom reviewer is assigned to your file and what kind of time they have, etc. All we can do is relax, we've submitted our applications and its out of our hands :)

You sir have an amazing profile picture and clearly have good taste in classic cartoons
Just trying to bring Dr. Star the notoriety he deserves.

I was complete Aug 22 and received an II around September 15th-ish, but I'm an OOS on the Primary care track, so they could've streamlined those applicants. But I think it's also important to let things take their natural course as there's A LOT of complexities that come into the review process like which adcom reviewer is assigned to your file and what kind of time they have, etc. All we can do is relax, we've submitted our applications and its out of our hands :)
That’s a good point! I appreciate the encouragement. Patience is a virtue I struggle with. I was just worried because my portal hasn’t changed.

II today! Complete 9/17. IS but only technically (been in Georgia for school for a good while now). I didn't (regrettably) initially think to apply primary care track but I'm hoping to speak with someone to see if it's entirely too late to still be considered...

Congrats to everyone accepted so far, and good luck to everyone still waiting.

That’s a good point! I appreciate the encouragement. Patience is a virtue I struggle with. I was just worried because my portal hasn’t changed.
Feeling you OSS Primary track applicant complete since 8/22 and still no word. It's out of our hands. But hey the process will work out right?

II scheduled for 11/2. Completed 9/17. IS, LizzyM 72. UAB undergrad alumna. Any tips for MMI?
My best advice is to just review your overall applications. Reflect on what you learned from everything because you can always pull on past experiences.

Still waiting, a friend of mine got a call this morning though, but good to know maybe they running behind on calls? Haha hoping!
What day did your friend interview? I have not heard of one person from Oct. 5th getting a call

Still waiting, a friend of mine got a call this morning though, but good to know maybe they running behind on calls? Haha hoping!
You had primary track interview, correct? The day in Tuscaloosa was just a campus tour rather than an extra interview day, right?

What day did your friend interview? I have not heard of one person from Oct. 5th getting a call

October 5th, with me lol, and @kli586 , Tuscaloosa just another campus tour :) Was really fun and interesting though, so enjoy it and ask many questions!