2017-2018 University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey quick question. I received a secondary from UAB on July 24th, and I know it said to reply within two weeks. Should I go ahead and fill out the secondary anyway, or is it too late and the application will be automatically rejected?

Well it's not too late per se but you have put yourself at a disadvantage since you won't get looked at after a while and interview spots are already going. I would say it's worth a shot depending on how good you feel your stats are as well as how well you fit their mission statement

Members don't see this ad.

What is the usual turn around time for II after secondary is complete? Thanks!

It's honestly hard to say. Some people may say at least a couple of weeks to a month but UASOM has been notoriously known to send IIs late. Many of my friends have applied and/or matriculated throughout the years and they all complained to me that it took a while for them to finally get their II and subsequent acceptance

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everybody, just checking in - I'm an MSTP applicant, and I got a "Your applicant is under final review" email on 8/25. Got the secondary 7/26 and submitted 7/29.

Did anyone else get that email? Any MSTP IIs yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
II. OOS. Regular decision. LM score 67. Not an URM. Complete late July.

Reactions: 1 users
Where can we check the status of our application? Was there a link ir is it just through the secondary app?

Rejected today. OOS. Complete 8/3. Good luck eveyone!

Yeah. I was unsure but the rejection email didn't specify anything. It said we no longer will be considering your application, you may want to review the qualifications form, and good luck with the rest of the cycle. I assumed that meant for both programs? Maybe I should email to confirm.

Yeah. I was unsure but the rejection email didn't specify anything. It said we no longer will be considering your application, you may want to review the qualifications form, and good luck with the rest of the cycle. I assumed that meant for both programs? Maybe I should email to confirm.

Anyword on if you were rejected from both programs or just primary care?

Rejected today! OOS, applied for regular MD. Complete early August. Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess if you marked Primary Care Track, they would only consider you for primary track. Did you get an email about this program? To me, I marked it only to show I was interested in this program, but I did not expect them to put me in a different group than regular MD applicants, but they appear to be doing this way!

I guess if you marked Primary Care Track, they would only consider you for primary track. Did you get an email about this program? To me, I marked it only to show I was interested in this program, but I did not expect them to put me in a different group than regular MD applicants, but they appear to be doing this way!
I was told by the admission office if your are not given an interview for the primary care track you would be automatically placed in with regular MD applicants. I'm a 3x applicant to UAB and it definitely seems like they are streamlining their application process this year, I'm sorry for those that were rejected believe me I know your plight. But hopefully with it being early in the application cycle you can focus on your other med. school apps. DON'T QUIT, DON'T GIVE IN!!!

I was told by the admission office if your are not given an interview for the primary care track you would be automatically placed in with regular MD applicants. I'm a 3x applicant to UAB and it definitely seems like they are streamlining their application process this year, I'm sorry for those that were rejected believe me I know your plight. But hopefully with it being early in the application cycle you can focus on your other med. school apps. DON'T QUIT, DON'T GIVE IN!!!
Have you heard if they have sent out IIs to applicants who marked Primary care track yet? It seems only regular MD applicants got IIs so far, correct?

Have you heard if they have sent out IIs to applicants who marked Primary care track yet? It seems only regular MD applicants got IIs so far, correct?

At my interview, it seemed like half where early decision while the rest were MD. Can't say for sure though.

At my interview, it seemed like half where early decision while the rest were MD. Can't say for sure though.
Primary track has a second-day interview at UA (Tuscaloosa campus). If you guys didn't have such one, then just regular MD I guess.
BTW, when will they let you know you are accepted or not? Thanks.

Primary track has a second-day interview at UA (Tuscaloosa campus). If you guys didn't have such one, then just regular MD I guess.
BTW, when will they let you know you are accepted or not? Thanks.

Can't really say for sure. Possibly October or November. They have a brand new twitter account that you can follow and it will let you know when the committee is meeting and when acceptances will be going out. They will be calling us via phone to let us know. I believe their handle is @UABMedAdmission

Hey guys... OOS students with II's could you all give me an idea of what your stats are like?

Can't really say for sure. Possibly October or November. They have a brand new twitter account that you can follow and it will let you know when the committee is meeting and when acceptances will be going out. They will be calling us via phone to let us know. I believe their handle is @UABMedAdmission
Thanks. I just looked their twitter page. It says 'Primary care track applicants who don't get an interview for the track will still be considered for regular admission.' Does that Primary care track is more competitive than regular MD??? Very confused. This also confirms that they do process primary care track and regular MD separately!!

Haven't heard anything specific. I'm assuming they are going by when you were complete compared to other applicants. Sorry not much help.

Thanks. I just looked their twitter page. It says 'Primary care track applicants who don't get an interview for the track will still be considered for regular admission.' Does that Primary care track is more competitive than regular MD??? Very confused. This also confirms that they do process primary care track and regular MD separately!!
I don't think it is more competitive when compared to regular MD, but since there are less spots available they probably look more in-depth at the applicants applying to that track. Searching for students that meet their criteria for primary medicine. Plus, since this is a state school I'm assuming they will only look at ISS rather than OSS but that is complete conjecture on my part, nothing confirms this opinion.

"Thank you for the email and interest in UABSOM. When our Admissions Committee reviews applications, it is for both programs. Unfortunately you are not under consideration any longer for either program."
Good luck to the rest of you!

"Thank you for the email and interest in UABSOM. When our Admissions Committee reviews applications, it is for both programs. Unfortunately you are not under consideration any longer for either program."
Good luck to the rest of you!
You have amazing stats. I'm very concerned that you were rejected. Best of luck with your other schools!

Reactions: 2 users
II today!

Primary track

Also got an II today for the primary care track! Very excited! I'm OOS but have strong ties to AL. Complete in late July.

Any tips for this interview?

Rejected tonight. Got the email at 9:28 PM. They put "Dear PREFNAME" instead of my name so a little salty about that. Anyone have any advice on asking them why I was rejected?

Also got an II today for the primary care track! Very excited! I'm OOS but have strong ties to AL. Complete in late July.

I like to know too. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I can't really speak to how the interview will be for Primary Care track (idk if it's different?), but I guess I can offer up advice based on my regular MD interview.

The whole process really wasn't all that bad or stressful. The MMIs were fun, even. The best way to practice for those is just finding questions on the internet and running through several of those. Get someone to practice with you and get them to ask you questions about your answers and challenge you on them, since they do that in the interview sometimes.

The one-on-one interview was REALLY relaxed. Super conversational. The interviewer asked me a few specific questions (why medicine, my view on the doctor-patient relationship, etc.), but otherwise he was super nice and let me choose how the conversation went.

Reactions: 5 users
I have my interview for Oct 5th, am going to fly in on the 4th; just clarifying though, I should fly into BHM (Birmingham airport) right? I am not familiar with this area so any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I have my interview for Oct 5th, am going to fly in on the 4th; just clarifying though, I should fly into BHM (Birmingham airport) right? I am not familiar with this area so any help would be appreciated!

Yes fly into BHM

I submitted my UAB secondary way after two weeks... above average stats 4.0/522... will I be ok?

How long did it take y'all to receive secondaries?

Hi there, anyone else have an interview on October 5th and may want to figure out a ride-sharing situation to Tuscaloosa for the Primary Care Track overview the next day?

I submitted my UAB secondary way after two weeks... above average stats 4.0/522... will I be ok?
I should think so. Those stats are way above the average for UAB. Is that a school you are seriously considering?

Submitted AMCAS on 9/14 to UAB and got a secondary the next day. Just completed my secondary and for some reason one of the personal letters of REC isn't showing up on my UAB Secondary? Anyone have any idea why that would be? Double checked through AMCAS and the letter is received there, and assigned to UAB. Just seems odd, I sent an email to the admissions committee.

Also: just a general question, but what is the deal with getting secondary applications? Do most people get secondaries from everywhere they apply to? Even OOS? This is a genuine question, I sent my app to about 15 different schools for the heck of it with what I thought was subpar stats and I've gotten most all of them back, and I don't really know what to make of it.

Submitted AMCAS on 9/14 to UAB and got a secondary the next day. Just completed my secondary and for some reason one of the personal letters of REC isn't showing up on my UAB Secondary? Anyone have any idea why that would be? Double checked through AMCAS and the letter is received there, and assigned to UAB. Just seems odd, I sent an email to the admissions committee.

Also: just a general question, but what is the deal with getting secondary applications? Do most people get secondaries from everywhere they apply to? Even OOS? This is a genuine question, I sent my app to about 15 different schools for the heck of it with what I thought was subpar stats and I've gotten most all of them back, and I don't really know what to make of it.

Most schools will send secondaries back. They say they prescreen but they set the bar really low like 495-500 and above 3.0 or something like that. Receiving secondaries from select schools of the University of California variant is pretty good as their primary application screen is known to be more intensive. It's really per school, but I would say that in most scenarios, receiving a secondary solely because you submitted your primary is pretty common.

Is it worth applying here still? I got my secondary 16 days ago, but was unable to return the secondary within the 2 week time-frame due to financial constraints. Anyways, I just got paid and want to send my secondary in now, but worry i'd be wasting my money now given I have already exceeded their 2 week recommendation on returning the secondary. For what it's worth, i am interested in their primary care track with a relatively unique background: LM mid-60s (blah), non-traditional, MPH degree, and like a dozen medical research publications with half of them 1st authorships, but have no ties to Alabama :/