2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone!

Current location: Seattle
PHAP location: Long Island City in Queens, NY

I'm wondering if anyone else has been placed in NYC and is looking for a roommate, let me know!

Congrats! Just curious - was NY in your first choice of region?
 
Hello! Also a long time lurker, first time poster. I received a call earlier this morning!! I was placed in San Francisco, CA. I am originally from the Los Angeles area and this was my first choice region!

Thank you all for providing a community I could depend on. Stay hopeful everyone, the calls are coming!!! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! Also a long time lurker, first time poster. I received a call earlier this morning!! I was placed in San Francisco, CA. I am originally from the Los Angeles area and this was my first choice region!

Thank you all for providing a community I could depend on. Stay hopeful everyone, the calls are coming!!! 🙂

Congratulations!! 🙂 Would you mind sharing what time (PST) you received your call? I'm curious if they will still be making calls today...
 
Hello Everyone!

I got my call today at 11:06 EST

I am currently living in Atlanta, GA and put the south east as my first preference.

I am placed in Nashville, TN!! I am super excited!

I love Atlanta and plan to return here after the two years. But outside of the ATL Nashville, TN and Asheville, NC are my two favorite cities in the region! SO it is going to be a fun two years!!

Alsooooo, if you are currently in Nashville or get placed there lets connect!
 
Hey everyone!

Current location: Seattle
PHAP location: Long Island City in Queens, NY

I'm wondering if anyone else has been placed in NYC and is looking for a roommate, let me know!


I believe someone has also been placed in Long Island City, NY on this thread!
 
Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for months and I finally made an account today. I received my offer via email at 11:42 a.m. for Jackson, Mississippi. I'm from Raleigh, North Carolina and I think I put the south as my first choice region. Very excited and relieved! Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. I look forward to getting to know y'all at orientation (and I'm wondering when we'll hear more details about orientation, etc.).
 
Hey guys I got the offer today at 9:55am, I live in Boston and was assigned to Las Vegas!!!!! This was my first choice region (was hoping for Cali but this is awesome) . I was shocked when I got the call but also excited and anxious. If anyone else has info about where to live, what the transportation is like etc. or wants to be roommates please let know!!!!
 
Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for months and I finally made an account today. I received my offer via email at 11:42 a.m. for Jackson, Mississippi. I'm from Raleigh, North Carolina and I think I put the south as my first choice region. Very excited and relieved! Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. I look forward to getting to know y'all at orientation (and I'm wondering when we'll hear more details about orientation, etc.).
Wow! Im from Jackson, MS so that would be awesome if I got placed at my home place! Congrats
 
Didn't receive a phone call but I got the email this morning that I will be placed in Minneapolis, MN! I'm from Chicago and this was my number one region. I've never been to Minneapolis so I would appreciate any tips or advice people have! Congrats to everyone else who has heard back already 🙂
 
Hey all! I got my offer today at 11:30 pst for a position in Phoenix, AZ. I had this as my first choice region although I was hoping for LA. I'm from the SF area and don't know much about Phoenix or Arizona in general so I would love to hear from anyone there as well as anyone that has been placed there this year! Also, does anyone know if there is a facebook page started for 2017? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! I got my offer today at 11:30 pst for a position in Phoenix, AZ. I had this as my first choice region although I was hoping for LA. I'm from the SF area and don't know much about Phoenix or Arizona in general so I would love to hear from anyone there as well as anyone that has been placed there this year! Also, does anyone know if there is a facebook page started for 2017? Thanks!

Congrats!! There are a couple current PHAPs in Phoenix that have posted on this thread and are open to questions 🙂 As far as I know, the Facebook group isn't up yet because many of those who have gotten offers are still deciding on whether to accept or not, and past Facebook groups have always only been for those who start their assignments in October, while discussions about offers and placements stay on this thread!
 
Congratulations!! I'm a 2016 PHAP in Phoenix, but I'm from Vegas and lived there right before I moved for PHAP. I can answer some of those questions, so feel free to message me. Congrats again!!

Great lets connect, I would love to hear all about Vegas from a local. I'm so excited for this move I never expected I would live in Vegas. my email is [email protected].
 
Hello Everyone!

I got my call today at 11:06 EST

I am currently living in Atlanta, GA and put the south east as my first preference.

I am placed in Nashville, TN!! I am super excited!

I love Atlanta and plan to return here after the two years. But outside of the ATL Nashville, TN and Asheville, NC are my two favorite cities in the region! SO it is going to be a fun two years!!

Alsooooo, if you are currently in Nashville or get placed there lets connect!
I went to college in Asheville! Feel free to ask questions if you'd like. 🙂
 
Hey all! I got my offer today at 11:30 pst for a position in Phoenix, AZ. I had this as my first choice region although I was hoping for LA. I'm from the SF area and don't know much about Phoenix or Arizona in general so I would love to hear from anyone there as well as anyone that has been placed there this year! Also, does anyone know if there is a facebook page started for 2017? Thanks!
-
 
Last edited:
Anyone get placed in Washington DC as well? Would love to connect and figure our lives out.
I haven't been placed yet but Im interning near DC. Look for places like College Park, Laurel, Hyattsville for example that are metro accessible. I can get to DC in 20 mins from my apartment. It would def save you some money
 
I am just now finding this forum and currently stalking all of your posts. I'm in Raleigh, NC and I haven't received an offer yet. Thanks for giving me hope that it's not too late!
 
I haven't been placed yet but Im interning near DC. Look for places like College Park, Laurel, Hyattsville for example that are metro accessible. I can get to DC in 20 mins from my apartment. It would def save you some money

Thanks for the info! I've been looking at those areas as well as Alexandria, Arlington and Reston. So do you just drive to the metro station or are you close enough to walk?
 
Thanks for the info! I've been looking at those areas as well as Alexandria, Arlington and Reston. So do you just drive to the metro station or are you close enough to walk?
Where I am (Wynfield Park Apartments) I catch the Metro to the train station (7 min ride because its a long walk) and just catch the green line to DC since USDA pays for my transportation to and from with a transit benefit card as an employee with them. The metro stop is right outside my apartment gate so very convenient and easy to catch. In the mornings the bus comes every 30 mins and the train comes every 4-5 mins so it doesn't take long at all to get to DC. It is crowded but manageable. Arlington and Alexandria are nice too...I've visited a couple of times since I've been here and they are nice. Im originally from MS and only here for 10 weeks but I adjusted very easily so you should be fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,

Happy to say that I've just received an offer.

My current location: St. Louis, Missouri
Offer location: Fort Worth, Texas

This was not my first choice, but it was in my top three. I am super excited about this offer. If anyone else is placed there or knows about the area, please feel free to share any insight with me. Congratulations to everyone who has already received an offer and don't become discouraged if you have not heard back yet. Good luck!
 
To PHAPallnight
First off congratulations!!! I just wanted to give you some advice. Your assignment is a rough one. I worked out there as a health educator, that is a rural region, native territory, poor Internet, 0 things to do, nothing nearby. It is tough life out there with so many challenges.

I say this because your from LA, I was too, it is like being on the moon...

If you have options I would consider them
 
Didn't receive a phone call but I got the email this morning that I will be placed in Minneapolis, MN! I'm from Chicago and this was my number one region. I've never been to Minneapolis so I would appreciate any tips or advice people have! Congrats to everyone else who has heard back already 🙂

I would have LOVED to get Minneapolis! I received Bowling Green, KY. It is a hard decision for me to accept my offer because of my wife's career. Would you consider trading? 🙂
 
Got a call around 5 pm EST today!
Current location: Lexington, Kentucky
Offer location: Mount Clemens, Michigan

Does anyone know anything about Mount Clemens?
 
Has anyone started the on boarding process?

Just wanted to post my own timeline so far, as it has been helpful looking at past year's forums and knowing how long between steps:

07/18, 2:30 PM- received tentative offer call and subsequently offer email
07/19, 9:50 AM- accepted offer
11:20 AM-received onboarding information
5:00 PM- sent transcript, completed OF-306 form
07/26, 1:40 PM- received e-QIP access/background check info

I'll update once I get further into the process, hope this helps!
 
Hey everyone! I got a call today at around 5pm PST with an offer for a position in Pocatello, Idaho. I am currently in Seattle and it was in my first choice region. I wasn't expecting to be placed in Idaho nor do I know anything about the area, so if anyone has insight into housing in this region I would really appreciate the advice!!

Best of luck to everyone else waiting for the phone call. I was definitely not expecting it so if you feel discouraged at this point do not lose hope! 🙂
 
Didn’t receive a call, but just received my email. I was placed in a Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Anyone know anything about the region at all?
 
Hello! Also a long time lurker, first time poster. I received a call earlier this morning!! I was placed in San Francisco, CA. I am originally from the Los Angeles area and this was my first choice region!

Thank you all for providing a community I could depend on. Stay hopeful everyone, the calls are coming!!! 🙂
I got the call at around 8am PST , so I'm sure they'll still be calling throughout the day. Wishing you the best of luck!!!

Hahaha, got a missed call and offer this afternoon, we are literally changing locations, who does these geographic match ups? I'm in San Francisco Bay and offered Los Angeles. Whahahahaha whahahahaha this is awesome. I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been contributing to the post, it has been an amazingly fun time and I look forward to working with you all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey everyone I've been following the thread for months now but only just decided to make an account so that I could post a thread. So as we begin the onboarding process did anyone else notice that our offers are "contingent"? I've been trying to ask my HR if this means there exists a chance that after accepting the tentative offer, filing out the paperwork, and having the interview with our host site manager...that we can be rejected or removed from the position. Perhaps our host site supervisor thinks twice...who knows. It's sort of daunting knowing that this is only a contingent offer and that the position isn't yet promised and finalized. I've been selected for CHARLOTTE (if anyone else has message me!) and went apartment shopping this weekend. I would hate to go ahead and sign a lease and then find out for whatever reason the final offer was never presented. I have a feeling once we received the call that it means we are officially part of the program but the wording on the offer is messing with me...
 
hey everyone I've been following the thread for months now but only just decided to make an account so that I could post a thread. So as we begin the onboarding process did anyone else notice that our offers are "contingent"? I've been trying to ask my HR if this means there exists a chance that after accepting the tentative offer, filing out the paperwork, and having the interview with our host site manager...that we can be rejected or removed from the position. Perhaps our host site supervisor thinks twice...who knows. It's sort of daunting knowing that this is only a contingent offer and that the position isn't yet promised and finalized. I've been selected for CHARLOTTE (if anyone else has message me!) and went apartment shopping this weekend. I would hate to go ahead and sign a lease and then find out for whatever reason the final offer was never presented. I have a feeling once we received the call that it means we are officially part of the program but the wording on the offer is messing with me...

The offer is contingent upon your completion of the required onboarding, security training, and background check. If you fail to complete these it is reason for them to remove the offer. There is no official meeting between you and your host site unless you set it up before you get there. I met mine the week beforehand because I was in town, where as others did not meet until their official first day. You should get connected via email before you officially start from your assigned PHAP supervisor.
 
Hi everyone! I'm also a longtime lurker on this thread, but I just received my offer last night at 8:12 PM! I've been placed in Huntington WV. Anyone placed here looking for a roommate??? Lol
 
Hey everyone, I got the call around 11:40 AM EST with an offer for Washington, DC!

I'm from Long Island and listed NY as my top choice so that I could possibly live at home. DC & PA were my second choice; I did undergrad in DC, and just finished up an AmeriCorps term in Pittsburgh. DC is my favorite place out of the three and I am absolutely thrilled to be going back.

I know there were a few people on here who were also placed in DC, feel free to reach out if you want to chat!

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
 
Hi everyone! First time poster. Got my call at 11:27am EST. I currently live in Erie, PA and was placed in Seattle, Washington. So basically, I'm going to need all the advice I can get lol And if anyone is placed near Erie I'll be glad to help!