This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"High instate bias" - but I'm from MI and got an acceptance and many others on this thread are from south and west as well so I wouldn't say high really, but they are bias nonetheless you are correct.

Half of the matriculated class are residents of VA (Statistics and Demographics | VCOM - The Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine), so it is quite high. Congratulations on your acceptance, I'm from Cali and hope I get in as well (last year it was 40% so maybe they're decreasing).

Members don't see this ad.

okay so i emailed her asking for an update on Friday and she hasnt answered back and its already wednesday

okay so i emailed her asking for an update on Friday and she hasnt answered back and its already wednesday
Dude. Relax. Half of this thread is you asking everyone why she hasn't replied back to your emails. No one knows. Patience is key!!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)

They have so many applicants, just be patient and whatever happens, will happen. Getting antsy and stressed after you've submitted everything won't help. Wish you all the best! I'm waiting myself, so I totally understand the predicament but there's nothing much to do now but play the waiting game.

Dude. Relax. Half of this thread is you asking everyone why she hasn't replied back to your emails. No one knows. Patience is key!!

The problem is she always responds to my emails in less than 48 hour notice. The one time she doesn't respond is when I ask for an update. Should I email her again in a week

The problem is she always responds to my emails in less than 48 hour notice. The one time she doesn't respond is when I ask for an update. Should I email her again in a week

You should email her today, tomorrow, and probably every day until you get a response. People like someone who is diligent.

Reactions: 7 users
You should email her today, tomorrow, and probably every day until you get a response. People like someone who is diligent.
The fact of the matter is that she is just an admissions coordinator. Showing diligence or whatever the case may be won't change the decision a committee will make. She will just get annoyed at this point.

From the looks of it, the majority of students with acceptances so far transferred their info from VCOM. We don't know the system or why it is this way. I know the wait can kill but patience is a virtue.

Reactions: 1 user
The fact of the matter is that she is just an admissions coordinator. Showing diligence or whatever the case may be won't change the decision a committee will make. She will just get annoyed at this point.

From the looks of it, the majority of students with acceptances so far transferred their info from VCOM. We don't know the system or why it is this way. I know the wait can kill but patience is a virtue.

e37.png

Reactions: 11 users
For those of you who haven't heard a response yet, when did you apply? I applied March 2nd, but asked them to hold my app until March 28 so that my sGPA would become 2.9 (Quarter system)

For some reason I'm expecting a decision this week or next week, but that probably won't happen by the looks of things.

For those of you who haven't heard a response yet, when did you apply? I applied March 2nd, but asked them to hold my app until March 28 so that my sGPA would become 2.9 (Quarter system)

For some reason I'm expecting a decision this week or next week, but that probably won't happen by the looks of things.

I applied the last week of January and still haven't heard back...

I emailed Ms. Hewitt on Sunday night and got this response just now:

"Thank you for the email and follow up. Your application is currently under review by the admissions committee. As soon as I receive your file back I will send an email to you with the committee decision and any related information. I don't have an exact date as there are multiple people on the committee, but it shouldn't be too much longer now!"

My application was complete Jan 31st!! I'm slowly dying inside...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They have so many applicants, just be patient and whatever happens, will happen. Getting antsy and stressed after you've submitted everything won't help. Wish you all the best! I'm waiting myself, so I totally understand the predicament but there's nothing much to do now but play the waiting game.
Routing for you!

Very grateful for my acceptance to VCOM PB. However, I have applied to other programs that have not given me an answer yet. Only reason I am hesitant is bc a 3.6 GPA is the highest GPA needed to net an interview/acceptance into matriculating class.

For example, LECOM only need a 3.0 as well as for LMU. TUCOM-Ca you need a 3.2 and MUCOM you need a 3.5 GPA.

What do you guys make of this? Cheers and good luck for the people still fishing for an acceptance to this program!

Very grateful for my acceptance to VCOM PB. However, I have applied to other programs that have not given me an answer yet. Only reason I am hesitant is bc a 3.6 GPA is the highest GPA needed to net an interview/acceptance into matriculating class.

For example, LECOM only need a 3.0 as well as for LMU. TUCOM-Ca you need a 3.2 and MUCOM you need a 3.5 GPA.

What do you guys make of this? Cheers and good luck for the people still fishing for an acceptance to this program!
That 3.0 at LECOM is harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd. Arguably the hardest of any postbacc with guaranteed admission. About half the class doesn't make it. Touro does NOT do guaranteed admission anymore, save for a very select few from their class of 60. Not aware of any formal guarantee/linkage with MUCOM.

VCOM gives you a guaranteed seat in their DO program once you meet the requirements. About 60%+ make it to their DO class (according to past stats).

At LECOM, you need at least a 3.0 (both terms) for an interview, this does not guarantee a seat. However, if you make 3.4+ in the first term, you get conditional acceptance and will need to keep 3.0 or above 2nd term to keep the acceptance. Their current class, out of 170 students, about 70 of them made it to the DO program.

I don't know about Touro-CA, but in Touro-NY, you need a 3.5 gpa and a pass on the comprehensive exam in order to matriculate. Also, their exams are graded on curves, which is the worst part of their program.

Not sure about MUCOM, either.

Between VCOM and LECOM, I would choose LECOM because of the federal loans, but between VCOM and any other school, I would choose VCOM for their already established postbacc program and their amazing DO school. The difficulty would be the more or the less same though, regardless of where you end up!

Reactions: 1 users
VCOM gives you a guaranteed seat in their DO program once you meet the requirements. About 60%+ make it to their DO class (according to past stats).

At LECOM, you need at least a 3.0 (both terms) for an interview, this does not guarantee a seat. However, if you make 3.4+ in the first term, you get conditional acceptance and will need to keep 3.0 or above 2nd term to keep the acceptance. Their current class, out of 170 students, about 70 of them made it to the DO program.

I don't know about Touro-CA, but in Touro-NY, you need a 3.5 gpa and a pass on the comprehensive exam in order to matriculate. Also, their exams are graded on curves, which is the worst part of their program.

Not sure about MUCOM, either.

Between VCOM and LECOM, I would choose LECOM because of the federal loans, but between VCOM and any other school, I would choose VCOM for their already established postbacc program and their amazing DO school. The difficulty would be the more or the less same though, regardless of where you end up!
Have you heard back form VCOM yet or waiting for acceptance? You seem very involved in this thread (compliment).

Have you heard back form VCOM yet or waiting for acceptance? You seem very involved in this thread (compliment).

Yup, got accepted on Tuesday (really grateful for it :D). Will hear back from other programs in June, once I get the mcat scores back.
I forgot to add LMU above. It's also a good program, especially if you get B or above then you won't have to repeat that particular basic science course. But their tuition is just ridiculous.

hey you know how i told you guys i wanted to email them and ask them what my science GPA and overall GPA came out to be on their end of the calculation because i was worried about my grade replacements and you told me not to. well i emailed them and asked them for an update and they told me that my "file was in process, however, not been reviewed at this time." If it was being processed does that mean my GPA had to be above 2.9 to make it to the admissions committee...

i wanna know how they calculated my science GPA i sent them course descriptions

hey you know how i told you guys i wanted to email them and ask them what my science GPA and overall GPA came out to be on their end of the calculation because i was worried about my grade replacements and you told me not to. well i emailed them and asked them for an update and they told me that my "file was in process, however, not been reviewed at this time." If it was being processed does that mean my GPA had to be above 2.9 to make it to the admissions committee...

i wanna know how they calculated my science GPA i sent them course descriptions

You're filing is being processed, they're probably calculating your GPA and letting you know. You shouldn't expect a decision for some time then I expect :|

Yup, got accepted on Tuesday (really grateful for it :D). Will hear back from other programs in June, once I get the mcat scores back.
I forgot to add LMU above. It's also a good program, especially if you get B or above then you won't have to repeat that particular basic science course. But their tuition is just ridiculous.

Tuition for program like 22K, not too crazy. Dog I'm in the same position as you. Are you moving forward with locking VCOM spot down and looking for apartment meanwhile? I get my scores back in like 2.5 weeks, but then gotta send them out, and wait for decision... seems kinda a drag.

What other programs did you apply to? Are you doing VCOM over everything except LECOM and if that's the case, why don't you just withdraw from other schools?

Curious cat
AD

Tuition for program like 22K, not too crazy. Dog I'm in the same position as you. Are you moving forward with locking VCOM spot down and looking for apartment meanwhile? I get my scores back in like 2.5 weeks, but then gotta send them out, and wait for decision... seems kinda a drag.

What other programs did you apply to? Are you doing VCOM over everything except LECOM and if that's the case, why don't you just withdraw from other schools?

Curious cat
AD

Hey!
I applied to VCOM, LECOM, and Touro-NY.
I got into all 3 but I chose VCOM. I think this program is more promising and the admission is guaranteed if you meet the requirements. There's no if's or but's about the requirements.

3.6 sounds kind of terrifying. But from reading the forums and what the students have to say, it sounds doable as long as you put a lot of effort into it.

Reactions: 2 users

Curious cat
AD

Where did you see the 22K for LMU? I see that they charge $955 per credit (let's just say 1000), so in the first term, its from 14-17 credits (14K-17K) and 2nd term is 16 credits (16K), this is already around 30K.

Tuition and Fees - Lincoln Memorial University

I applied to vcom, lecom, and lmu. Lmu/Lecom are waiting for the mcat score. I have submitted the deposit for Vcom and will wait till I get the score to move forward with anything else.

Hey!
I applied to VCOM, LECOM, and Touro-NY.
I got into all 3 but I chose VCOM. I think this program is more promising and the admission is guaranteed if you meet the requirements. There's no if's or but's about the requirements.

3.6 sounds kind of terrifying. But from reading the forums and what the students have to say, it sounds doable as long as you put a lot of effort into it.

Yeah, I also think it's possible to maintain a good gpa in the VCOM program because the way the curriculum is. It seems very balanced between the two terms.
Especially, the bolded courses below will require more effort than others. Hopefully, more current students in the program respond. :shrug:

Fall
:
  • Neuroscience (2)
  • Biochemistry (3)
  • Medical Anatomy (3)
  • Cell Physiology (3)
  • Health Policy and Social Determinants of Health (3)
  • Nutrition (3)
  • Spring:
    • Immunology (3)
    • Histology and Embryology (4)
    • Microbiology (3)
    • Field Seminar (2)
    • Research and Biostatistics (3)
    • Clinical Prevention and Public Health (3)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I also think it's possible to maintain a good gpa in the VCOM program because the way the curriculum is. It seems very balanced between the two terms.
Especially, the bolded courses below will require more effort than others. Hopefully, more current students in the program respond. :shrug:

Fall
:
  • Neuroscience (2)
  • Biochemistry (3)
  • Medical Anatomy (3)
  • Cell Physiology (3)
  • Nutrition (3)
  • Spring:
    • Immunology (3)
    • Microbiology (3)
    • Field Seminar (2)

What do the numbers in () mean?

Fall
:
  • Neuroscience (2)
  • Biochemistry (3)
  • Medical Anatomy (3)
  • Cell Physiology (3)
  • Nutrition (3)
  • Spring:
    • Immunology (3)
    • Microbiology (3)
    • Field Seminar (2)
So many credits though I feel for a post-bacc. MUCOM has an interesting new program where a Fall 3.5 GPA nets an interview at the med school there and the semester consists of three classes plus a seminar of for a total of 12 credits vs VCOM's 17 credits. Only reservation I have is bc it's so new, how many people are they really getting from in from their program. I'm going to email to find out.

I've got similar GPAs as you, with a higher MCAT. How did your cycle go?
I didn't get any interviews. I waited till last minute to submit secondaries. That's my fault. How about you?

I didn't get any interviews. I waited till last minute to submit secondaries. That's my fault. How about you?
I am applying for the first time this cycle. I'll be submitting mid June after my postbacc grades appear on my transcript. When did you submit primaries and secondaries?

Here's hoping week 14 is the magic week...

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone have a recommendation for apartments?
I was looking in to The Reserve at Knollwood and Highlands at Huckleberry Ridge but they do not have any 1 bedroom apartments left.
I wanted to be walking distance from VCOM but I don't think that is going work.

Does anyone have a recommendation for apartments?
I was looking in to The Reserve at Knollwood and Highlands at Huckleberry Ridge but they do not have any 1 bedroom apartments left.
I wanted to be walking distance from VCOM but I don't think that is going work.

Apartments are going to be difficult to come by at this point in the year, and I think you're going to have a challenge finding a one-bedroom in walking-distance from VCOM. The Knollwoods (The Reserve, The Crossing, regular Knollwood) are all right across from the school I believe, but I don't think they all offer 1 bedrooms and as you saw they're already booked. If you don't mind roommates you can try Ramble Ridge - they're town homes also right next to the school, but they're 3-4 bedrooms and I'm not sure about their availability. The Highlands at Huckleberry are nice, but they're definitely not walking-distance. VCOM is right off of 460 (a highway), so anything off of Tom's Creek, University City Boulevard, and Progress street are going to be more accessible than you think despite being on the other side of town. I would start searching on those roads because that opens up a lot of other options. I suggest avoiding Patrick Henry and Roanoke street because you'll have to most likely cross through downtown Blacksburg which can be a pain with traffic.

Apartments are going to be difficult to come by at this point in the year, and I think you're going to have a challenge finding a one-bedroom in walking-distance from VCOM. The Knollwoods (The Reserve, The Crossing, regular Knollwood) are all right across from the school I believe, but I don't think they all offer 1 bedrooms and as you saw they're already booked. If you don't mind roommates you can try Ramble Ridge - they're town homes also right next to the school, but they're 3-4 bedrooms and I'm not sure about their availability. The Highlands at Huckleberry are nice, but they're definitely not walking-distance. VCOM is right off of 460 (a highway), so anything off of Tom's Creek, University City Boulevard, and Progress street are going to be more accessible than you think despite being on the other side of town. I would start searching on those roads because that opens up a lot of other options. I suggest avoiding Patrick Henry and Roanoke street because you'll have to most likely cross through downtown Blacksburg which can be a pain with traffic.

I spoke to someone over the phone at The Reserve and they said they wouldn't have a 1 bedroom apartment available until 2018.
The Highlands at Huckleberry don't have 1 bedrooms available at the moment either. They have a waitlist but I don't want to rely on that.
I'll check out the areas you told me.
Thanks!!

week 14 wtf >>>?? did you ask them for an update. its supoose to be 4-8 weeks

Yup. I have more retakes than you can imagine. I think that slowed things down? Idk...

Confusion

Not sure if the handbook is outdated or what... but the VCOM website says meet benchmarks (494+ and a 3.6+ GPA) gets you auto acceptance into program. The handbook, however, claims that you need a 3.6 AND an avg MCAT score of 24+ (498?) in order for matriculation into the medical school.

What's the deal here?!

Now that I've written out this question, the handbook must be outdated, since the MCAT was written in pre-2015 scoring.

Anybody know if that CRC thing is a free shuttle that goes to VCOM?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anybody know if that CRC thing is a free shuttle that goes to VCOM?

There is the CRC bus that runs to the Virginia Tech campus and back throughout the CRC. It's run through BT transit, so you can look on the website for the complete route map. I know as a Tech student it was free with your student ID - I THINK it would be free with VCOM/Post-bacc as long as you're given a student ID as well. You just flash the ID at the driver when getting on the bus.

There is the CRC bus that runs to the Virginia Tech campus and back throughout the CRC. It's run through BT transit, so you can look on the website for the complete route map. I know as a Tech student it was free with your student ID - I THINK it would be free with VCOM/Post-bacc as long as you're given a student ID as well. You just flash the ID at the driver when getting on the bus.

Thanks for the info. That would be nice to use if you live in the grad dorms or apartments on VTech campus or nearby it.

Yup. I have more retakes than you can imagine. I think that slowed things down? Idk...

i had 4 retakes too. i dont know how they do calculations =/. i hope we both get in!! outside of the love i have for vcom i like the curriculum of this school better then the other programs ive been looking into

i had 4 retakes too. i dont know how they do calculations =/. i hope we both get in!! outside of the love i have for vcom i like the curriculum of this school better then the other programs ive been looking into

4 is far, far below what I did.... I don't want to give the exact amount, but I was able to retake a very significant amount of courses.

4 is far, far below what I did.... I don't want to give the exact amount, but I was able to retake a very significant amount of courses.
It might or might not make you feel better, but I've taken the MCAT 4, times and have been accepted. I'm trying to take it one last time before school starts.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Anyone having problems with the loans? I got denied for the Wells Fargo one with a cosigner and I am not sure what to do...

good for you do whatever you gotta do. i think the way they ended grade replacement was a little bitch. it hurt too many people

Anyone having problems with the loans? I got denied for the Wells Fargo one with a cosigner and I am not sure what to do...

For the Wells Fargo one I was told to tell the loan individual to not clarify the loan I'm seeking as VCOM Certificate seeking but instead as graduate degree. Idk if that helps. Call Mallory Case from Financial Aide. Supposedly when you tell the Wells Fargo Loan officer to search for the VCOM Grad Certificate they can't find that and that's why you just say degree seeking.

I'M IN!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

With retakes I was around a 3.1 cGPA with a higher sGPA. 28 MCAT, almost 500 hrs volunteering. I can't believe I'm finally getting a shot. This literally changes my life.

Reactions: 22 users

With retakes I was around a 3.1 cGPA with a higher sGPA. 28 MCAT, almost 500 hrs volunteering. I can't believe I'm finally getting a shot. This literally changes my life.
IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Congrats!!

CONGRATS!!!!!