This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else notice a discrepancy between what's on the website versus what's posted in the student handbook as far as grades are concerned. On the website it says you need to maintain a 3.4 gpa for the spring semester for automatic admissions into vcom but in the handbook it states you have to maintain a 3.6 gpa

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else notice a discrepancy between what's on the website versus what's posted in the student handbook as far as grades are concerned. On the website it says you need to maintain a 3.4 gpa for the spring semester for automatic admissions into vcom but in the handbook it states you have to maintain a 3.6 gpa
They website says 3.6-3.69 by December... I don't see a 3.4 gpa.

EDIT: I do see it in the paragraph portion right up under the benchmarks for acceptance. It must be an error.

Reactions: 1 user
They website says 3.6-3.69 by December... I don't see a 3.4 gpa.

EDIT: I do see it in the paragraph portion right up under the benchmarks for acceptance. It must be an error.
Which one is the error though?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not an error. The 3.4 is if you were accepted after the Fall semester. You need to *maintain* a 3.4 in the Spring for your acceptance to be valid. If you weren't accepted in the Fall, you need to meet the 3.5-3.69 benchmark for an acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
It's not an error. The 3.4 is if you were accepted after the Fall semester. You need to *maintain* a 3.4 in the Spring for your acceptance to be valid. If you weren't accepted in the Fall, you need to meet the 3.5-3.69 benchmark for an acceptance.

As a current student in the program, I can confirm that this is accurate. Get the 3.6, then maintain the 3.4.

Okay, that makes more sense.. "Maintain" the 3.4. Thanks!!!

Spot on!

As a current student in the program, I can confirm that this is accurate. Get the 3.6, then maintain the 3.4.
Oh well they might want to correct that error they have in the student handbook then because it says the opposite

Oh well they might want to correct that error they have in the student handbook then because it says the opposite

Ah yeah, it says in the handbook that you have to maintain a 3.6, not a 3.4. @PNWisBest just to confirm, the 3.4 is what is needed for Spring if you got a 3.6 in the Fall?

Ah yeah, it says in the handbook that you have to maintain a 3.6, not a 3.4. @PNWisBest just to confirm, the 3.4 is what is needed for Spring if you got a 3.6 in the Fall?

If you met your benchmark in the December/March, depending on the tier of your MCAT, you need to end Spring with a 3.4 to keep your seat and/or waitlist.
For example: Your MCAT was a 491 and your fall GPA was a 3.9. You qualify for December review and get a seat for the DO program. You have to get a 3.4 in spring to keep your seat!

I believe the handbook takes some time to get approved through higher sources in the administration. Website will always have the most updated information. Sometimes they swap the classes between Fall and Spring, too. They've always told us to rely on the website information- same for posted class schedules, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many students do they usually accept?

Last edited:
How difficult is it to maintain a 3.4 or better during the program? I know it will be nothing like undergraduate, but maybe someone in the program can elaborate?

How difficult is it to maintain a 3.4 or better during the program? I know it will be nothing like undergraduate, but maybe someone in the program can elaborate?

You mean maintaining the 3.4 in the Spring? It's a 3.6 in the Fall. Treat it like your FT job and I'd assume you'd do well, but it really depends if you already know how to study/can handle the volume of material, etc. For reference, like stated previously, 50% made the benchmark in December.

Got an email update today:

"I don't have a definitive timeline for you at this time as we do have a high volume of files entering the queue at this time. All files are processed in the order they enter the queue and we have had files completing for a little while now so there are quite a few files in the queue. You do have a completed file so you will receive an admissions decision."

Wondering what the "high volume" is...

Got an email update today:

"I don't have a definitive timeline for you at this time as we do have a high volume of files entering the queue at this time. All files are processed in the order they enter the queue and we have had files completing for a little while now so there are quite a few files in the queue. You do have a completed file so you will receive an admissions decision."

Wondering what the "high volume" is...

I called yesterday and they pretty much told me the same thing. Someone said that they are still reviewing applications and my application will soon be reviewed (complete Oct.). I hope next week. I guess the high volume means many people are submitting apps right now. I can only imagine how many apps they have to process, complete, and review.. Whew! Best of luck to you!!

Anybody else planning to take the MCAT this year. When are you all planning to take it?

Anybody else planning to take the MCAT this year. When are you all planning to take it?

May 19th

And they said similar stuff to me: "I don't have an update for you just yet. I do have things in process on your file, however, but I do not have a review completed yet by the admissions committee. As soon as I have additional information/decision I will be back in contact with you"

And the wait continues! :eyebrow:

Last edited:

Interesting relevant note: I read the handbook for the program yesterday and they will take an MCAT that is 4 years old. Most programs for DO only take three years old.

I have a question about another program but couldn't find a recent/appropriate thread for it.
Is anyone else applying to the George Mason/Georgetown (G squared) post-bac program? Do you know if they'll accept letters of recommendation through interfolio?

I'll call during the week but was hoping for a quicker answer here :)

I have a question about another program but couldn't find a recent/appropriate thread for it.
Is anyone else applying to the George Mason/Georgetown (G squared) post-bac program? Do you know if they'll accept letters of recommendation through interfolio?

I'll call during the week but was hoping for a quicker answer here :)

I applied there. I sent mine in individually but the easiest way to contact is to just call them. They take longer to respond to emails.

How many students usually matriculate from this program to OMS1?

Is there a Facebook group for this upcoming Fall 2017 class?

Is there a Facebook group for this upcoming Fall 2017 class?

No one has posted one yet. I don't think a lot of the acceptances have gone out yet (or they just haven't posted here). If I get in and don't know of one by then, I'll make one. ;)

Where's Class of 2016 at though? :/

Oops, I thought that was on there. The year isn't over and people could get in at the end of the Spring semester, so they aren't going to post any of those stats yet. @FutureDoctorChloe said that there were 98 people at the start of the year and @LTovs3 said that they were told 51 people received their acceptance in Decemter. So 52% of the class has already been accepted already. I imagine some have dropped out and others might have got accepted to med school at some point, so the 98 total of the class might not still be the same either. That's pretty freaking awesome and it sounds like if you put in the work, you're almost guaranteed to succeed.

Oops, I thought that was on there. The year isn't over and people could get in at the end of the Spring semester, so they aren't going to post any of those stats yet. @FutureDoctorChloe said that there were 98 people at the start of the year and @LTovs3 said that they were told 51 people received their acceptance in Decemter. So 52% of the class has already been accepted already. I imagine some have dropped out and others might have got accepted to med school at some point, so the 98 total of the class might not still be the same either. That's pretty freaking awesome and it sounds like if you put in the work, you're almost guaranteed to succeed.

Wait... isn't the Class of 2016 last spring? Wouldn't this Spring be the Class of 2017?

Just saw that that this program isn't covered by Federal Loans... that's kinda sketch. How come it isn't? LECOM's post-bacc is and it's cheaper than this and has similar components.

Wait... isn't the Class of 2016 last spring? Wouldn't this Spring be the Class of 2017?

Just saw that that this program isn't covered by Federal Loans... that's kinda sketch. How come it isn't? LECOM's post-bacc is and it's cheaper than this and has similar components.

I guess I was looking at it from the 2016/2017 perspective, not the way you meant. I can't say why that info isn't on there, but with some digging you might find some info in the older threads about this program.

I can't remember what the reason was behind the not being eligible for federal loans. A lot of people just used a private loan with an option to defer repayment until you're completely finished with school, which is a pretty similar setup (albeit maybe worse interest rates).

I didn't read the welcome email if there was one. How do you quote more than one person?

From the threads last year, looks like a lot of people started getting decisions at the end of March :eek: so nervous!

From the threads last year, looks like a lot of people started getting decisions at the end of March :eek: so nervous!

Yep, this week or next week....

Reactions: 1 users
I was just notified right now that all of my materials have come in and I'm in queue for review by the committee. I turned my app in March 1.

"I don't have a specific timeline for you right now as we have a large volume of files entering the queue for processing at this time, but we are working to process as quickly as possible."

And the decision will be sent out via email.

Last edited:
Decided not to submit my app. Good luck, ladies and gents!!! Rooting for you all. Will probably apply next year depending on how my retake goes.

Hey all - first I want to say good luck to everyone awaiting their decisions! I'm pulling for you! I have been following this thread as I'm thinking about applying to the program in the Fall (October 2017). I was hoping you guys could give me a little insight on how to strengthen my chances. I have a cgpa 3.48 and sgpa of 3.3, so not too bad, but I don't have medical experience. I'm considering the post-bacc as I kind of fall into the "career change" category. I have loads of medical diagnostics research experience (industry) but no direct patient care. Should I obtain some of this experience before even attempting to apply? Again, good luck and I really hope you guys hear something soon! I can only imagine how agonizing the wait is - not looking forward to that part :(

Hey all - first I want to say good luck to everyone awaiting their decisions! I'm pulling for you! I have been following this thread as I'm thinking about applying to the program in the Fall (October 2017). I was hoping you guys could give me a little insight on how to strengthen my chances. I have a cgpa 3.48 and sgpa of 3.3, so not too bad, but I don't have medical experience. I'm considering the post-bacc as I kind of fall into the "career change" category. I have loads of medical diagnostics research experience (industry) but no direct patient care. Should I obtain some of this experience before even attempting to apply? Again, good luck and I really hope you guys hear something soon! I can only imagine how agonizing the wait is - not looking forward to that part :(

Do you have shadowing experience? Volunteer hours? An MCAT score? Your GPA would be good enough to get in somewhere if you had a decent MCAT.

After emailing to ask about the status of my application, I received note I was placed on waitling list:

Thank you for your application to the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine Graduate Certificate Pre-Medical Program. We have received your application packet and the Admissions Committee conducted a careful and thorough review of all materials. We are pleased to notify you that we have placed you on our Waiting List for acceptance to the Graduate Certificate Program.

Notifications regarding change of status from Waiting List to Official Offer of Admission will be made as soon as possible, but are expected to be made in June. If we are unable to offer you a seat in our program, notification will also be sent within the June timeframe.

If offered a seat in the program you will be required to complete all matriculation requirements as discussed on our Accepted Student Information website, however, deadlines will be adjusted to accommodate the offer date timeline. Please do NOT submit matriculation documents at this time.

Once again, thank you for your application and interest in VCOM and our Graduate Certificate Program.

Sincerely,

VCOM Graduate Certificate Admissions Committee

Has anyone gotten placed on the waiting list, and if so, have they gotten in? I feel like VCOM doesn't reject, but for the people they want to reject, they would place them on the waiting list.

After emailing to ask about the status of my application, I received note I was placed on waitling list:

Thank you for your application to the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine Graduate Certificate Pre-Medical Program. We have received your application packet and the Admissions Committee conducted a careful and thorough review of all materials. We are pleased to notify you that we have placed you on our Waiting List for acceptance to the Graduate Certificate Program.

Notifications regarding change of status from Waiting List to Official Offer of Admission will be made as soon as possible, but are expected to be made in June. If we are unable to offer you a seat in our program, notification will also be sent within the June timeframe.

If offered a seat in the program you will be required to complete all matriculation requirements as discussed on our Accepted Student Information website, however, deadlines will be adjusted to accommodate the offer date timeline. Please do NOT submit matriculation documents at this time.

Once again, thank you for your application and interest in VCOM and our Graduate Certificate Program.

Sincerely,

Has anyone gotten placed on the waiting list, and if so, have they gotten in? I feel like VCOM doesn't reject, but for the people they want to reject, they would place them on the waiting list.

I saw in a previous post that there were a couple of people that were waitlisted but they never stated whether or not they got in. I have also seen that some people have gotten rejected.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/vcom-new-post-bac.607169/page-4

Sincerely,

What were your stats and when did you apply

Sincerely,

Did you just receive this email? Did they not notify you that you were waitlisted until you contacted them? Also, like @Futuredoc157 said stats and when you applied could be helpful.