This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May 19th

And they said similar stuff to me: "I don't have an update for you just yet. I do have things in process on your file, however, but I do not have a review completed yet by the admissions committee. As soon as I have additional information/decision I will be back in contact with you"

And the wait continues! :eyebrow:
How are you planning on studying? I thought about purchasing a prep course. I just don't know which one...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I applied to this program in mid January, I still have not heard back from them. I got accepted somewhere else and they want the deposit in two weeks, but this is the program I want to go the most. Should I call them, to ask? What should I do?

How are you planning on studying? I thought about purchasing a prep course. I just don't know which one...

Spend 3 weeks going over the examkrackers textbooks for review. Then for the next 7 to 8 weeks, take 1 to 2 Full length exams from Examkrackers > Next Step > Kaplan in that order. At the halfway mark take the AAMC practice, then at the 3/4 mark, take another AAMC, and then a week before take the last AAMC exam.

reddit.com/r/mcat was a great place, and they'll def help you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I applied to this program in mid January, I still have not heard back from them. I got accepted somewhere else and they want the deposit in two weeks, but this is the program I want to go the most. Should I call them, to ask? What should I do?
You can call them for an update/mention it to them but it seems like they are going in the order they received the apps. Is it a huge deposit? Is it for another post bacc program? Like most people say on the forum it depends on your GPA and MCAT score.
Just got my acceptance letter a hour ago

Congrats!!!!!!!! :)

Reactions: 1 user

I'm using McatJelly's schedule so I have the Berkeley and the Examkracker books. I personally do not think a prep course is necessary or it will help much to get a high score, but that's just me. If you can afford to spend about $600 or so and can study for 5-7 hours per day for about 3 months, then you will do just fine on your own. Pick 1-2 resources, buy all the AAMC materials and choose a study schedule of your like. Then, there are resources here on SDN and online (such as Khan Academy, youtube, etc) to help you the concepts and additional questions.

Last edited:
You can call them for an update/mention it to them but it seems like they are going in the order they received the apps. Is it a huge deposit? Is it for another post bacc program? Like most people say on the forum it depends on your GPA and MCAT score.

Congrats!!!!!!!! :)
I got in a master program in Touro college New York city.

I'm using McatJelly's schedule so I have the Berkeley and the Ekamkracker books. I personally do not think a prep course is necessary or it will help much to get a high score, but that's just me. If you can afford to spend about $600 or so and can study for 5-7 hours per day for about 3 months, then you will do just fine on your own. Pick 1-2 resources, buy all the AAMC materials and choose a study schedule of your like. Then, there are resources here on SDN and online (such as Khan Academy) to help you with help the concepts and additional questions.

+1 for not using a prep course. They're overpriced and don't usually help. But, if I you really think you can't study individually then by all means.

Congrats! That's exciting. Did you apply quite early?
I applied to their D.O. program and recieved a secondary and then withdrew my application and had it transferred to the post bacc program instead. This was around November, my application was was processed the end of February just to give you a time frame

Does anyone know anything about deferring student loans? I know you cannot use Fed loans for this program but does the program qualify you for a deferment? I have an undergrad subsidized loan that is just a couple grand and not currently accruing interest....however the grace period will end in the middle of the program. I'd much rather use the money for tuition at VCOM but the program has to qualify.

Thanks for any input :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone deciding between this program and LECOM?

What were your stats and when did you apply

3.1c 3.0s and no mcat but plan on taking it in may. I think they didnt know how to directly say they rejected me so they threw me on the waitlist till june and tell me that all the spots are full.

Did you just receive this email? Did they not notify you that you were waitlisted until you contacted them? Also, like @Futuredoc157 said stats and when you applied could be helpful.

Yes I just got that email today. I didnt get notified till I emailed and asked the status of my application. And I applied like October or so and they processed mine like a month ago I think according to Alisha

Does anyone know anything about deferring student loans? I know you cannot use Fed loans for this program but does the program qualify you for a deferment? I have an undergrad subsidized loan that is just a couple grand and not currently accruing interest....however the grace period will end in the middle of the program. I'd much rather use the money for tuition at VCOM but the program has to qualify.

Thanks for any input :)

I just logged into my loans to double check, any loans I have say "in school". I believe it does qualify you for "in school" status!

After emailing to ask about the status of my application, I received note I was placed on waitling list:

Thank you for your application to the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine Graduate Certificate Pre-Medical Program. We have received your application packet and the Admissions Committee conducted a careful and thorough review of all materials. We are pleased to notify you that we have placed you on our Waiting List for acceptance to the Graduate Certificate Program.

Notifications regarding change of status from Waiting List to Official Offer of Admission will be made as soon as possible, but are expected to be made in June. If we are unable to offer you a seat in our program, notification will also be sent within the June timeframe.

If offered a seat in the program you will be required to complete all matriculation requirements as discussed on our Accepted Student Information website, however, deadlines will be adjusted to accommodate the offer date timeline. Please do NOT submit matriculation documents at this time.

Once again, thank you for your application and interest in VCOM and our Graduate Certificate Program.

Sincerely,

VCOM Graduate Certificate Admissions Committee

Has anyone gotten placed on the waiting list, and if so, have they gotten in? I feel like VCOM doesn't reject, but for the people they want to reject, they would place them on the waiting list.
What are your stats and when did u apply?

What are your stats and when did u apply?

3.1c 3.0s and no mcat but plan on taking it in may. I think they didnt know how to directly say they rejected me so they threw me on the waitlist till june and tell me that all the spots are full.

Keep hope alive ALOT of students pull don't accept their offer because of other acceptances/other events.. there is still a chance

Ah that sucks..I have similar stats (3.23/3.2) and no mcat..also taking it in May. I guess once you receive your score in June you can email them about it...who knows!

Did you get in Lecom? If yes, run with it!
I did get in LECOM. May I ask the reasons why you would prefer LECOM over VCOM?
I've been researching both programs. I feel like people generally have good things to say about both programs. However, there're also negative things said about LECOM while I've never read anything bad about VCOM.
Few of the posts:
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lecom-vs-vcom-post-bacc-program.992004/
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lecom-post-bacc-2014-2015.1061232/

I've been researching both programs. I feel like people generally have good things to say about both programs. However, there're also negative things said about LECOM while I've never read anything bad about VCOM.
Few of the posts:
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/lecom-vs-vcom-post-bacc-program.992004/

Either program will give you the chance to be part of their DO school, which is key.

Personally, I would go to the one with federal loans (Lecom) vs. private loan (Vcom). I have some private loans and they are not fun, the accruing interest from day 1 will be a pain later on. Also, LECOM guarantees an interview with a 3.0 GPA, and probably a conditional acceptance if you get 3.5+ GPA in the first semester (as long as the MCAT is competitive). VCOM guarantees a seat depending on your GPAs(1st and 2nd term and MCAT score)

That said, if LECOM rejects me and VCOM gives me a chance then I would run with VCOM, regardless of the consequences with the loans. Because let's be honest, the programs at these schools are probably our last chances of going into a DO program without having to re-take undergrad courses and wasting more money & time.

Also, every school & every program has its pros/cons, so unless there are major issues, I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Few of the posts:

LECOM would be the better choice. Most get in if they do well, LECOM is cheapest and will make you any physician you want to be. Cost is a tremendous factor you should consider. Put up with their dress code rules for a few years = save tens of thousands of dollars in med school loans you don't have to pay off.

Ah that sucks..I have similar stats (3.23/3.2) and no mcat..also taking it in May. I guess once you receive your score in June you can email them about it...who knows!

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever flat out gotten rejected by them or if they just throw the rejections onto a wait list till the program starts

Keep hope alive ALOT of students pull don't accept their offer because of other acceptances/other events.. there is still a chance
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever flat out gotten rejected by them or if they just throw the rejections onto a wait list till the program starts

I swear that I read someone in here said that they had been rejected this cycle already. Am I just drunk? (I am a little, but still)

I swear that I read someone in here said that they had been rejected this cycle already. Am I just drunk? (I am a little, but still)
Haha. Anyways congratulations to all of you that got accepted. I hope one day I'll get an email saying they decided to bump me into acceptance and hope to see you guys there

Haha. Anyways congratulations to all of you that got accepted. I hope one day I'll get an email saying they decided to bump me into acceptance and hope to see you guys there

What scares me now is I'm wondering if I should email for another update to figure out if I'm waitlisted or not? I think it's a little odd that they don't notify you of this, but maybe they do take a chunk off people off the waitlist so they don't want to alarm people and get bombarded with letters of intent?

Just a heads up, they want you to submit proof of how you will pay for the program in advance. I was going to pay out of pocket but you have to show at least 40 grand in your bank account...which i dont have so ill have to come up with some other way

So I'm from CA. 500 MCAT. 3.2/3.0 cGPA and sGPA.
Lots of extra curriculars
Submitted app Mid january
Haven't heard back from them yet

Any suggestions for other 1 year post bacc's I should apply to as back up??

Do you mind me asking if you have extracurricular activities or clinical experience? My stats are relatively close

if people are getting wait listed and rejected does that mean they already filled up the class

Do you mind me asking if you have extracurricular activities or clinical experience? My stats are relatively close
I was part of something called SLICE where we went around and presented to high school and middle school athletes the dangers of concussions through interactive games and speeches. Also was research assistant in researching how the brain functions for people who are bilingual. Then later on I was a research assistant for organic chem. Did some community work like tutor for underprivileged kids in a underprivileged neighborhood and assisted refugees with citizenship applications etc. For clinical I have like 500 hours of shadowing physician in the ER.

So I'm from CA. 500 MCAT. 3.2/3.0 cGPA and sGPA.
Lots of extra curriculars
Submitted app Mid january
Haven't heard back from them yet

Any suggestions for other 1 year post bacc's I should apply to as back up??
LECOM and I think touro are good options

Do you have shadowing experience? Volunteer hours? An MCAT score? Your GPA would be good enough to get in somewhere if you had a decent MCAT.

Currently no shadowing, volunteering, or MCAT. That's why I was interested in the post-bacc. I work full-time Monday-Friday, but I could get in some shadowing or volunteer hours on my weekends if that would strengthen my application.

hi everyone! congrats to those who have been accepted so far! I just applied to this program on Monday and I'm super excited about it! What do you guys think about my chances?
3.53/3.35 cGPA and sGPA, with an upward trend.
494 MCAT (planning on retaking this summer/fall--if anyone has study tips, let me know!)
I have 2 years of medical research, shadowing experience, volunteering hours and I'm currently working as a medical scribe (been doing that for the past 6 months). I'm honestly nervous I applied too late, but VCOM was one of my top choices for this past application cycle so I'm going to stay hopeful.

hi everyone! congrats to those who have been accepted so far! I just applied to this program on Monday and I'm super excited about it! What do you guys think about my chances?
3.53/3.35 cGPA and sGPA, with an upward trend.
494 MCAT (planning on retaking this summer/fall--if anyone has study tips, let me know!)
I have 2 years of medical research, shadowing experience, volunteering hours and I'm currently working as a medical scribe (been doing that for the past 6 months). I'm honestly nervous I applied too late, but VCOM was one of my top choices for this past application cycle so I'm going to stay hopeful.
You have an amazing chance for sure. I think you even have a chance of getting in their DO program straight if you apply.

You have an amazing chance for sure. I think you even have a chance of getting in their DO program straight if you apply.

I actually did apply to their DO program, but they called me mid February to tell me my MCAT was too low for an interview. I was pretty upset afterwards and talked to one of the doctors I work with who suggested I didn't give up so I decided to apply to this program. VCOM is definitely my top choice of any DO schools I looked at.

I am a little concerned though--because I had all of my material transferred over AND I submitted the post-bacc application without realizing that I did not need to. Does anyone think this would cause an issue?

I actually did apply to their DO program, but they called me mid February to tell me my MCAT was too low for an interview. I was pretty upset afterwards and talked to one of the doctors I work with who suggested I didn't give up so I decided to apply to this program. VCOM is definitely my top choice of any DO schools I looked at.

I am a little concerned though--because I had all of my material transferred over AND I submitted the post-bacc application without realizing that I did not need to. Does anyone think this would cause an issue?
I doubt it would be an issue. Just email and let them know.

If they called and said that then honestly I'd say if you take the MCAT again and kill it like 505+ then you have good enough credentials to get into some good schools straight

I honestly feel like you should just retake the MCAT and get a reasonable score then apply next year. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper. Assuming you have some decent ECs, your MCAT is what is holding you back 100%. A 494 is a 32nd percentile, which is pretty abysmal. Average getting in is a 504. How did you study for the MCAT?

I doubt it would be an issue. Just email and let them know.

If they called and said that then honestly I'd say if you take the MCAT again and kill it like 505+ then you have good enough credentials to get into some good schools straight

The MCAT is honestly what I'm most worried about, and I am retaking it. Also, there are other parts of my application that I think need help and this program could definitely fix those weaknesses/better prepare me for med school. I am also an SC resident and love the Spartanburg area so that's another reason why this school is at the top of my list.

I honestly feel like you should just retake the MCAT and get a reasonable score then apply next year. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper. Assuming you have some decent ECs, your MCAT is what is holding you back 100%. A 494 is a 32nd percentile, which is pretty abysmal. Average getting in is a 504. How did you study for the MCAT?

Yes, I realize it was not the greatest score but I also know people who have been accepted to MD and DO programs with lower, so I figured I would at least try. I used Kaplan, but I do not think that was the best studying strategy for me so I was going to try and take more practice tests this time around and use different study materials. I also genuinely like this program and think it would better prepare me for medical school, so I don't think it is a waste of money.

If not accepted I would probably try a masters program or other post-baccs before going to medical school, just to prepare me for the rigor.

The MCAT is honestly what I'm most worried about, and I am retaking it. Also, there are other parts of my application that I think need help and this program could definitely fix those weaknesses/better prepare me for med school. I am also an SC resident and love the Spartanburg area so that's another reason why this school is at the top of my list.

Yes, I realize it was not the greatest score but I also know people who have been accepted to MD and DO programs with lower, so I figured I would at least try. I used Kaplan, but I do not think that was the best studying strategy for me so I was going to try and take more practice tests this time around and use different study materials. I also genuinely like this program and think it would better prepare me for medical school, so I don't think it is a waste of money.

If not accepted I would probably try a masters program or other post-baccs before going to medical school, just to prepare me for the rigor.

The only people who have ever gotten into a med program directly with a score that bad is that they were URM and had an extremely compelling story. A regular person applying isn't going to get anywhere with a score that bad applying directly. How long did you study for the test? I was able to get a score that is the average for matriculants to DO schools but it took me 3 months of studying. Was the Kaplan thing a course or was it self-study?

I hear ya. But honestly here, the ultimate goal is to get into med school. Now we address what the issues are of what's stopping you to get in and that's your MCAT.

You have two options on how to get in:

1. You get into the vcom post bacc program which you have a decent chance for. 494 meets the benchmark according to VCOMs benchmark requirements but I think you have to average a 3.60 and above to meet their benchmark which you already have. So your chances here are great. But problem is it costs a lot as kalminek said.

2. Take a break and study hardcore on your MCAT for like 3 months, like I'm talking like 8 hours a day like it's your full-time job (That's what I'm trying to do right now) then I think With your credentials you have a chance to get a decent score. If you can get A 510 or above I think you have a decent chance to get into the MD schools also let alone DO.

Last edited:
What scares me now is I'm wondering if I should email for another update to figure out if I'm waitlisted or not? I think it's a little odd that they don't notify you of this, but maybe they do take a chunk off people off the waitlist so they don't want to alarm people and get bombarded with letters of intent?
I think they put people on waitlist to see how many ppl that were rejected from med school will be
The only people who have ever gotten into a med program directly with a score that bad is that they were URM and had an extremely compelling story. A regular person applying isn't going to get anywhere with a score that bad applying directly. How long did you study for the test? I was able to get a score that is the average for matriculants to DO schools but it took me 3 months of studying. Was the Kaplan thing a course or was it self-study?

How did you study?

I think they put people on waitlist to see how many ppl that were rejected from med school will be

How did you study?

I torrented all of the study materials. I can't comment where or how because it is not legal, but it saved me a tremendous amount of money. I then followed the sn2ed study method (google this) for 3 months. I was definitely not perfect and if I were to do it again, I would study harder and really emphasize doesn't practice problems more than conceptual reading. The practice problems is where you iron out issues you didn't know you had. If I end up having to do it again, I'm confident I'd do even better just by cramming a tremendous amount of problems in. I'll admit that I did one practice test, then never practiced verbal questions again...and I got a 12 in that section. I don't really think that's a section you can study for.