2017-2018 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey!! Just so you guys know, I had a friend apply for UGA's Counseling Psych program. He received an interview invitation this morning. Check your email!!!

Thanks for this! Was it a mass email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Question about interviews: my PI mentioned names of some other faculty I'll be meeting with during the interview weekend, and I'm wondering how familiar I need to be (if at all) with their research. I know reading up a bit won't hurt, but since I'm not applying to work with them I'm not sure how much I'm expected to prepare. Thoughts?

Saw someone post on thegradcafe about receiving a rejection letter from GWU.. anyone else? I did not receive a rejection email but I also did not receive an invitation to interview so I feel sort of lost in regards to GWU right now..

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw someone post on thegradcafe about receiving a rejection letter from GWU.. anyone else? I did not receive a rejection email but I also did not receive an invitation to interview so I feel sort of lost in regards to GWU right now..
I haven’t heard anything yet from GWU.

I haven't heard anything from GWU regarding PsyD, their page says interview invites will be decided by end of January. I thought the Grad café post was regarding the PhD program. I could be wrong.

I haven't heard anything from GWU regarding PsyD, their page says interview invites will be decided by end of January. I thought the Grad café post was regarding the PhD program. I could be wrong.
Yeah, I applied to PhD not PsyD which is why I'm confused :( this waiting game sucks..

Anyone heard from/about these?

U Georgia Counseling
U North Texas Clinical
U Texas Austin Counseling

UT Austin sent out their interview invites in early December but I haven’t heard anything from UNT

Reactions: 1 user
So invites have gone out (finished going out) from the following:

1. UT Austin Counseling
2. U Georgia Counseling
3. U North Texas Clinical.

This is my understanding ! Just wanted to run it by you guys.

And SUNY Albany Counseling - haven’t heard from them yet.

School Name: University of Arkansas
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/15/2017
Degree
: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Phone
Interview Date: January 22, 2018
Additional Info:
social event the night before at Hog Haus Brewing Co

School Name: Louisiana State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/18/2017
Degree
Notified via: Email – then did a phone interview – then notified via email of Interview Day
Interview Date: 1/26/2018
Additional Info:
expenses covered up to $600

School Name: University of Tennessee at Knoxville
Date Interview Invite Received:
12/14/2017
Degree
Notified via: phone call
Interview Date: 2/3/2018

School Name: Auburn University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/21/2018
Degree
Notified via: Email, mass (I believe) then personal follow up
Interview Date: 2/17/2018

School Name: City University of New York--City College
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/15/2018
Degree
Notified via: Email, (personal)
Interview Date: 2/6/2018
Additional Info:
Interview with faculty member, then a student

School Name: University of Hawaii at Manoa
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/15/18
Degree: PhD
Notified via: Email, (personal)
Interview Date: TBD
Additional Info: Option for in-person or Skype interview.

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this forum and TGC and feeling a bit disappointed after reading that people have heard back from programs. I have yet to hear back from the following clinical programs:

DePaul Community Track
Michigan State
University of South Carolina Columbia
Miami University Ohio
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

I have an interview at Georgia State on the 9th and bought a one-way ticket in case I hear back from a program with an interview date for the following Monday. Since people have posted on TGC for all programs but USC Columbia, would it be safe to assume I haven't been invited for more interviews? I emailed Miami and Michigan inquiring about my application status this weekend, but I have no idea what to expect. Not sure if emailing them was the right thing to do, so I don't think I should more emails, but I'm anxious to know what's going on. The application status page for most programs is not very informative. I feel a bit defeated and appreciate any guidance.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

I'm starting to get super nervous about these applications... has anyone heard from these schools/programs?

University of Oregon- Clinical
Yale- Clinical
University of Washington- Clinical
University of Southern California- Clinical
Boston University- Clinical
University of Kansas- Counseling
University of Illinois- Counseling

Any news would be greatly appreciated! I have received one interview offer and one rejection, but I hate that schools don't give us a lot of information!!

I just looked back at my email and they sent me an email on 1/8 telling me more information about the program and clinical opportunities. So, I am not sure why I would have gotten that if I was out of the running. It did say to email with any questions about the program, so I did send an email inquiring if all interview invites have been extended.

I talked to the admissions director and she said Loyola will be sending out more interview invitations later this week/into next week!

School Name: Loyola University - Maryland
Date Interview Invite Received: January 12
Degree
: PsyD
Track: none specified
Notified via: Email - seemed to be mass email
Interview Date: February 16
Additional Info:
Social Event with graduate students and faculty from 5pm-7pm on the day of the interview

School Name: Regent University
Date Interview Invite Received: January 9
Degree
Track: none specified
Notified via: Phone call - Personal
Interview Date: February 2
Additional Info:
none yet

Still anxiously waiting on American University (PhD), George Washington University (PsyD), and University of Denver (PsyD)!

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this forum and TGC and feeling a bit disappointed after reading that people have heard back from programs. I have yet to hear back from the following clinical programs:

DePaul Community Track
Michigan State
Miami University Ohio

I have an interview at Georgia State on the 9th and bought a one-way ticket in case I hear back from a program with an interview date for the following Monday. Since people have posted on TGC for all programs but USC Columbia, would it be safe to assume I haven't been invited for more interviews? I emailed Miami and Michigan inquiring about my application status this weekend, but I have no idea what to expect. Not sure if emailing them was the right thing to do, so I don't think I should more emails, but I'm anxious to know what's going on. The application status page for most programs is not very informative. I feel a bit defeated and appreciate any guidance.

Hey! Congrats on Georgia State! When did you hear back / was it a mass email?!

Hello everyone,

DePaul Community Track
Michigan State
Miami University Ohio

Congrats! Who is your POI? I work as an RA in a clinical psychology lab at GA State! I'm not applying to this program (Counseling Psych is a better fit for me) but if your POI is the one I have worked with for over a year now, I would be more than happy to give you some interview tips!

Loyola PsyD said they have 5 admission committees and have only sent out invites from one so far. The rest should be coming out within the next week or so, so don't get too worried yet.

Hello everyone!

I'm starting to get super nervous about these applications... has anyone heard from these schools/programs?

University of Oregon- Clinical
Yale- Clinical
University of Washington- Clinical
University of Southern California- Clinical
Boston University- Clinical
University of Kansas- Counseling
University of Illinois- Counseling

Any news would be greatly appreciated! I have received one interview offer and one rejection, but I hate that schools don't give us a lot of information!!

I'm fairly certain all invites have gone out for Oregon, Yale, and USC.

No Invite yet from USUHS. I applied for the Psychology - Military Track. I emailed Trish Crum today and she responded stating that " The final invitee list has not been sent forward yet. Letters of non acceptance are sent, usually in March."

So there is still time. From what I understand, if you haven't heard by February about an interview, you should start preparing for the following year's application cycle.

Has anyone else heard any other Intel about USUHS?

No Invite yet from USUHS. I applied for the Psychology - Military Track. I emailed Trish Crum today and she responded stating that " The final invitee list has not been sent forward yet. Letters of non acceptance are sent, usually in March."

So there is still time. From what I understand, if you haven't heard by February about an interview, you should start preparing for the following year's application cycle.

Has anyone else heard any other Intel about USUHS?

Hi! Yes, I was told today that interview invites should be sent by the end of this week or next week.

Hi! Yes, I was told today that interview invites should be sent by the end of this week or next week.
Can I ask who told you that? I was to be optimistic that your intel is good, but I am an intel analyst by trade so the source is always the question LOL.

Can I ask who told you that? I was to be optimistic that your intel is good, but I am an intel analyst by trade so the source is always the question LOL.

I spoke with someone in the Graduate Education Office.

I noticed some people posted on TGC about University of Denver. If you got an interview from there would you mind messaging me your POI's initials? Thanks in advance!

Really?? I haven't seen anyone post about USC!!
School Name: USC
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/4/18
Degree
Type: Clinical Science
Notified via: Email from PI, followed by email from Director of Clinical Training
Interview Date: 1/25-1/26
Additional Info:
Dinner on 1/25 for applicants and graduate students, partial reimbursement possible.

There's this one and I saw a couple more on TGC if I remember correctly.

School Name: Georgia State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/10/18 (mass email) 1/11/18 (call from POI)
Track: Clinical-Community (CLC) Concentration
Notified via: 1/10/18 (mass email) 1/11/18 (call from POI)
Interview Date: Feb 7th & 9th
Additional Info: dinner with grad students night before, dinner with POI night after
Hey! Congrats on Georgia State! When did you hear back / was it a mass email?!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Who is your POI? I work as an RA in a clinical psychology lab at GA State! I'm not applying to this program (Counseling Psych is a better fit for me) but if your POI is the one I have worked with for over a year now, I would be more than happy to give you some interview tips!
Wow, that's great! POI is LM!

So good news and bad news. I've been invited to the University of South Carolina, but their interview date is 2/13, which seems to be the same for DePaul and Michigan State. I've emailed the two programs asking if I could know my application status for this reason. Any advice?

Did anyone else receive an e-mail from Wright State an hour ago saying congratulations and to follow a link... Only to be given a dead link? The director of admissions sent a second e-mail acknowledging the e-mail link not working, but made it sound as though an erroneous e-mail could have been sent. Losing my mind that I may have gotten excited about receiving an interview only to be told I did not receive one!!

So good news and bad news. I've been invited to the University of South Carolina, but their interview date is 2/13, which seems to be the same for DePaul and Michigan State. I've emailed the two programs asking if I could know my application status for this reason. Any advice?

I believe DePaul is 2/12 if that helps?

Anyone heard from:
Kent State
Florida international
Rutgers
John Jay

I have not heard back from BU but I have been told that they don’t send out invites until late Jan. Hope that helps!

Has anyone heard from Duke University yet?

School Name: George Washington University
Date Interview Invite Received: 01/17
Degree: PsyD
Track: N/A
Notified via: mass email
Interview Date: options of 1/26, 2/2, 2/9

Reactions: 2 users
School Name: George Washington University
Degree: PsyD
Interview Date: options of 1/26, 2/2, 2/9

Congrats! I have been waiting anxiously to hear from GW and haven't heard anything yet. I hope they are still sending invites!

School Name: Hofstra University
Interview Date: 2/23

I see UCLA invites are starting to go out. Hope they aren't finished sending them out yet!

Same with Georgia Southern's invites. I know they're getting individual emails from POIs. Mine are JB (second JB on faculty list) and DC.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the U of Montana Invites were a mass email?

Has anyone heard from Palo Alto U for their PsyD program?

Has anyone heard from Palo Alto U for their PsyD program?

It looks like more invites went out yesterday

Palo Alto - Pacific Graduate School Of Psychology (PGSP) Clincial Psychology - PsyD, Other (F18) Interview via E-mail on 13 Jan 2018 A 16 Jan 2018

It looks like more invites went out yesterday

Palo Alto - Pacific Graduate School Of Psychology (PGSP) Clincial Psychology - PsyD, Other (F18) Interview via E-mail on 13 Jan 2018 A 16 Jan 2018
Thanks! Do you happen to know if it was for the early application date or regular? I sent in all of my materials by Dec 1, but my transcripts weren’t processed until a few days later.

Thanks! Do you happen to know if it was for the early application date or regular? I sent in all of my materials by Dec 1, but my transcripts weren’t processed until a few days later.

Absolutely! I think this was for the regular. I'm making an educated guess because on gradcafe it says that interview invites also went out on December 26th:

Palo Alto University (PAU) Clinical Psycology, PhD (F18) Interview via E-mail on 26 Dec 2017 29 Dec 2017

Good luck!! Where else did you apply?

Has anyone heard from East Carolina or South Alabama?

I saw a post about East Carolina on TGC but it didn't specify POI so I was curious if anyone else had heard from them

School Name: Widener University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/11/18
Degree
Track:
Notified via: Email--personal
Interview Date: 1/31/18
Additional Info:
lunch provided, if weather issues--makeup day is 2/7/18

School Name: The Wright Institute
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/16/18
Degree
Track:
Interview Date: Option to pick from these dates, as well as different times: 1/26/18, 2/3/18, 2/17/18, 3/3/18
Additional Info:
interview is 45-60 minutes and the rest of the interview day activities are optional

School Name: University of Hartford
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/17/18
Degree
Track:
Interview Date: Option to pick top 2 choices from these dates: 1/26/18, 2/2/18, 2/9/18, 2/16/18
Additional Info:
social event the night before the interview, reduced hotel rate at a local hotel which includes free shuttle to and from campus

Reactions: 1 users