2018-2019 University of Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Minnesota Duluth Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
M1 at UMN Medical School, Duluth campus in the fall. Message any questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is Duluth MD school looking for in an applicant besides good stats?
Essential and Desired Qualities
See the link above for the essential and desired qualities of a University of Minnesota Medical student at both Twin Cities and Duluth campuses. Duluth specifically seeks students meeting its mission, which includes a desire to pursue a medical career in the areas of family practice, rural medicine, and/or service to American Indian communities. MN residency, American Indian ethnic background, or a strong desire to practice in MN is also more heavily emphasized in Duluth admissions, but it helps Twin Cities admissions too.

M1 at UMN Medical School, Duluth campus in the fall. Message any questions!

Congrats on the acceptance! Im just curious on what your stats and EC's were, im a MN resident currently applying with UMD and UMN-TC being my top two choices.

See the link above for the essential and desired qualities of a University of Minnesota Medical student at both Twin Cities and Duluth campuses. Duluth specifically seeks students meeting its mission, which includes a desire to pursue a medical career in the areas of family practice, rural medicine, and/or service to American Indian communities. MN residency, American Indian ethnic background, or a strong desire to practice in MN is also more heavily emphasized in Duluth admissions, but it helps Twin Cities admissions too.

Can absolutely second this. I interviewed here in 2016 and was ultimately waitlisted. My primary advice is to be honest about what your interests are and let them decide if they think you are a good fit. I am a Minnesota resident and expressed my interest in primary care and working with Native American populations during the interview. I also expressed my interest in pediatrics, but by no means did I say I absolutely wanted to go into peds. My interviewer told me they definitely wanted students who were interested in family practice, which I told her I also was interested in, but she seemed turned off already due to my interest in pediatrics. This is a great school and I had a wonderful time during interview day, but ultimately felt a bit stifled and limited. I didn't want to feel that way during my medical education, so I think we both decided it wasn't the best fit. So happy where I am now though! Feel free to message me with any questions about this school or UMN-twin cities (also interviewed there).

Got the secondaries for UMinn-Duluth yesterday, and they were a doozy. They are really screening to make sure you are interested in rural family medicine for sure, which I'm excited about at least. 15 questions total, 800 characters limit each.

1. In what ways do you fit the goals of the Duluth medical school program?

2. How familiar are you with life in a rural setting or American Indian community? 781

3. What are some of the professional and personal advantages and disadvantages of a rural family medicine practice? 741

4. How have you familiarized yourself with the field of medicine? 554

5. How have your volunteer experiences influenced your life goals? 913

6. Briefly describe your career plans in the event that you do not attend medical school.

7. Have you ever struggled with being honest and compassionate at the same time? Describe the situation, the struggles and, if there was one, the resolution. 700

8. Describe an experience you have had working in a team (other than a sports team), what role you played, and your comfort level with that role.

9. What does lifelong learning mean to you?

10. What are your recreational and leisure activities?

11. Medical school can be stressful. What coping skills have you used in the past to deal with stressful situations?

12. Please use this space to update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation dates, additions to your extracurricular activities, and anything else you feel the Committee should know.

13. Please describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated please indicate what you have been doing since graduation and what your plans are for the coming year.

14. FOR REAPPLICANTS ONLY: What have you done to improve your application to medical school?

15. State Ties

Got the secondaries for UMinn-Duluth yesterday, and they were a doozy. They are really screening to make sure you are interested in rural family medicine for sure, which I'm excited about at least. 15 questions total, 800 characters limit each.

2. How familiar are you with life in a rural setting or American Indian community? 781

3. What are some of the professional and personal advantages and disadvantages of a rural family medicine practice? 741

6. Briefly describe your career plans in the event that you do not attend medical school.

7. Have you ever struggled with being honest and compassionate at the same time? Describe the situation, the struggles and, if there was one, the resolution. 700

8. Describe an experience you have had working in a team (other than a sports team), what role you played, and your comfort level with that role.

11. Medical school can be stressful. What coping skills have you used in the past to deal with stressful situations?

12. Please use this space to update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation dates, additions to your extracurricular activities, and anything else you feel the Committee should know.

13. Please describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated please indicate what you have been doing since graduation and what your plans are for the coming year.

14. FOR REAPPLICANTS ONLY: What have you done to improve your application to medical school?

15. State Ties
Looks like they didn't change from last year at all. Hoping Twin Cities doesn't either! I would love to apply to Duluth but as a resident of one of the larger suburbs, I don't think they'll take my interest in rural health seriously, though it is a real interest. I can't bring myself to complete this insanely long secondary only to be rejected for the population of my hometown. Good luck to all applying!!

Looks like they didn't change from last year at all. Hoping Twin Cities doesn't either! I would love to apply to Duluth but as a resident of one of the larger suburbs, I don't think they'll take my interest in rural health seriously, though it is a real interest. I can't bring myself to complete this insanely long secondary only to be rejected for the population of my hometown. Good luck to all applying!!
I would just be honest about what makes you want to pursue rural medicine. If your reasons are passionate and earnest admissions might be more inclined to go with that than just looking at personal history.

I actually found this secondary easier than others because of so many mini parts, the low character count in each part makes it go quick. If you can show your passion through clear knowledge and related it to some experiences, you'll be a strong applicant as anyone else.. Kids from small-towns go to college in cities, but they prove rural interest by shadowing back home. If you've shadowed rurally or worked with rural populations (I saw your post about public health) then you're good. Just leave this secondary til one of the last ones if you think you've got a better shot getting in elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 users

15. State Ties

@gyngyn

Sent in the secondary today. It was difficult to get anything substantive out in the 800 character limit. Definitely a stretch for me but I would so love to go to school here.

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted my secondary today! I love this school and would be excited to attend. Reviewing last year's forum it looks like the first reported interview invites came on 8/11 and 8/14 after having complete submitted applications on 7/24 and 7/28

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my secondary today! I love this school and would be excited to attend. Reviewing last year's forum it looks like the first reported interview invites came on 8/11 and 8/14 after having complete submitted applications on 7/24 and 7/28

The first interviews were in the 3rd week of August last year!

The first interviews were in the 3rd week of August last year!
Adding on, when you get an II they will call you (218 area code) and be able to schedule within two weeks f you can come that early. They interview every day of the week typically.

How did you guys handle the writing intensive option for the secondary? Almost certain my courses never listed writing intensive in the course name and they want you to provide a syllabus if that's the case. As a non-trad, this is going to be difficult.

How did you guys handle the writing intensive option for the secondary? Almost certain my courses never listed writing intensive in the course name and they want you to provide a syllabus if that's the case. As a non-trad, this is going to be difficult.

They are pretty lienent on that requirement, look for a non science course that is 300 (junior level) or higher that you remember having to write a 8-10 page paper for. If you have none you have till I want to say June 30 to take such a course. So worse cause if you have none and are accepted enroll in something that can satisfy it.

They are pretty lienent on that requirement, look for a non science course that is 300 (junior level) or higher that you remember having to write a 8-10 page paper for. If you have none you have till I want to say June 30 to take such a course. So worse cause if you have none and are accepted enroll in something that can satisfy it.
Yep, you don’t have to prove that your wrote anything that long. Many people meet it with any 3000 level psychology course.

FYI- received an II here today! In state student, GPA ~3.7, MCAT 507-509. Very excited, this is my top choice!

On what date did you submit your secondary? What date did you schedule for your II ?

I submitted July 10th. And I scheduled for the end of August- they had dates open from the 21st-31st I believe.

Adding on, when you get an II they will call you (218 area code) and be able to schedule within two weeks f you can come that early. They interview every day of the week typically.
Any advice for the interview? How many people typically interview a day?

Rejection today s/p secondary submission on 8/1
Their quick turnaround hit me hard :(
Are you Native, from Minnesota, or have a strong background in rural health? I've never heard of a turnaround that fast so those factors might be why. Sorry to hear either way.

Are you Native, from Minnesota, or have a strong background in rural health? I've never heard of a turnaround that fast so those factors might be why. Sorry to hear either way.

I am not a Native applicant or have a strong background in rural health. I am IS and have a strong desire to practice family medicine with an interest in rural health which I made clear several times in my secondary and PS. I am still really surprised by the turnaround here. Secondary received 7/31, submitted on 8/1 (it was the only secondary I had at the time), and then rejected today. Kudos to the adcom.

Last edited:
I am not a Native applicant or have a strong background in rural health. I am IS and have a strong desire to practice family medicine with an interest in rural health which I made clear several times in my secondary and PS. I am still really surprised by the turnaround here. Secondary received 7/31, submitted on 8/1 (it was the only secondary I had at the time), and then rejected today. Kudos to the adcom.
Yeah that's pretty mindboggling. Definitely follow up with them about reasons why you were rejected. The only time I've heard of that quick of a rejection (outside of demographics and mission) is with a blatant institutional action or misdemeanor/felony conviction. Don't lose hope though, med school is a very long road.

89% of their class is from a rural area. There’s no way that’s a coincidence. If you're from the metro that’s probably why you got rejected so quickly

Last edited:
89% of their class is from a rural area. There’s no way that’s a coincidence. If your from the metro that’s probably why you got rejected so quickly
I guess I wanted too badly to be that 11% :whistle:

Any advice for the interview? How many people typically interview a day?
It can be just 1, I think more common is 2-3 though.
Interview advice is that it’s a mission based school and a conversational interview with two very kind people who just want to get to know you, your background, and how you meet the missions.

For the career plans question, would going to PA school be an acceptable answer? My plans would either be to do that or be a high school science teacher and coach in a small town

I'm in the same boat. Did you mention working in underserved regions in your primary/secondary?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
I made sure to reiterate those experiences in my secondary as they were some pretty big motivating factors for pursuing a career in medicine, but admittedly none of them were in rural or Native American settings. Almost all urban communities. Which plays back to that 11%

I made sure to reiterate those experiences in my secondary as they were some pretty big motivating factors for pursuing a career in medicine, but admittedly none of them were in rural or Native American settings. Almost all urban communities. Which plays back to that 11%
Good to know thanks man. I had a similar situation as I also have experience working with underserved communities in an urban setting but they may just end up rejecting me so I'll just save my money. here I was thinking that if I got a secondary and they would actually consider me but that's probably not the case.

For the career plans question, would going to PA school be an acceptable answer? My plans would either be to do that or be a high school science teacher and coach in a small town
The best answer is an honest answer. Just explain why and the principles of that job and your goals and interests. I would try to relate that to the things a doctor does that you’d enjoy about that job. Like both work with people, provide education, do teamwork.

Good to know thanks man. I had a similar situation as I also have experience working with underserved communities in an urban setting but they may just end up rejecting me so I'll just save my money. here I was thinking that if I got a secondary and they would actually consider me but that's probably not the case.

To be fair, I am not from rural MN and got an II. I have friends that are matriculating here this fall from the metro area. It may be worth it if you can effectively express a genuine interest in Native American and rural health! I think there's a lot of factors at play!

To be fair, I am not from rural MN and got an II. I have friends that are matriculating here this fall from the metro area. It may be worth it if you can effectively express a genuine interest in Native American and rural health! I think there's a lot of factors at play!
But what if I'm a Hispanic from SoCal with absolutely no ties to the state?

Secondary submitted today! From IS, extensive experience in rural areas.

Quick question. I just submitted my secondary and received no confirmation after that. Is that normal? I did get the receipt email for paying $100 fee but nothing else.

Quick question. I just submitted my secondary and received no confirmation after that. Is that normal? I did get the receipt email for paying $100 fee but nothing else.
The fee takes 3 business days normally to register in their system, I had the same worry but it's written in small text below the checkboxes on the portal. I'd worry if it isn't marked complete by Friday.

II today

Last edited:
II today! They called me to inform me and book the interview. IS, LizzyM 72, Complete 7/18. From the metro area, but rural experience in undergrad

Holy moly!!! I got an II today! This is my absolute top choice and wasn't expecting to get any love from MD schools. I am in disbelief!!!!!!

IS, not from a rural area but have had rural exposure

Congrats!! When were you complete?

Congrats!! When were you complete?
I never got an email but I submitted the secondary on 7/19 and everything was marked complete on the portal a few days after that

Rejection today s/p secondary submission on 8/1
Their quick turnaround hit me hard :(
I got the same hard rejection today, too. I only submitted a week ago. But I'm not from a rural area, not a native, very small ties to the school. Guess they are looking for people who fit specifically with their mission and stats.

I got the same hard rejection today, too. I only submitted a week ago. But I'm not from a rural area, not a native, very small ties to the school. Guess they are looking for people who fit specifically with their mission and stats.

"Preference is given to medical school applicants from Minnesota or to those with a high potential to practice medicine in Minnesota."
Essential qualities: "Commitment to rural patient care."