2018-2019 University of Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven’t heard anything in weeks. OOS Native with rural experience so I didn’t get a quick rejection just yet. Anyone know if calling on your status is an option?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven’t heard anything in weeks. OOS Native with rural experience so I didn’t get a quick rejection just yet. Anyone know if calling on your status is an option?
I don't think it will get you anywhere, unfortunately.

It's not even September. Expect to be rejected until you hold that acceptance letter in your hand. I'm pretty sure you signed an AMCAS agreement saying you understand that you could not hear back from the school until March 31st. Silence is okay. I'd rather have silence than a quick rejection. You are still in the running!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not even September. Expect to be rejected until you hold that acceptance letter in your hand. I'm pretty sure you signed an AMCAS agreement saying you understand that you could not hear back from the school until March 31st. Silence is okay. I'd rather have silence than a quick rejection.
Believe me I’m not new to the med school process. Everyone knows about the agreement. They interview very few OOS applicants and have already rejected a ton so it’s safe to say they move faster than most schools. No need for the condescension.

II today. Complete 8/1. IS. They give multiple available dates to work with your school schedule.

Reactions: 1 user
Believe me I’m not new to the med school process. Everyone knows about the agreement. They interview very few OOS applicants and have already rejected a ton so it’s safe to say they move faster than most schools. No need for the condescension.

Not condescension. I was making sure you understood silence is better than rejections. It means they don't know about you yet. Sorry if it came across bad! I hope you do well!

Last edited:
Created this account to add to the stats across the schools I applied to this year for other's sake.

Completed secondary early this week. Got my reject yesterday. 509/3.83. OOS.

Wish I would have looked into the forum before and saw the low rate of oos getting looks. Would have worked on this secondary last.

Not condescension. I was making sure you understood silence is better than rejections. It means they don't know about you yet. Sorry if it came across bad! I hope you do well!
Good luck to you as well

Created this account to add to the stats across the schools I applied to this year for other's sake.

Completed secondary early this week. Got my reject yesterday. 509/3.83. OOS.

Wish I would have looked into the forum before and saw the low rate of oos getting looks. Would have worked on this secondary last.
Yeah they only interviewed around 27 OOS students last round I think so I’m definitely in the same boat. Submitted about 3 weeks ago and expecting a rejection any day now.

Yeah they only interviewed around 27 OOS students last round I think so I’m definitely in the same boat. Submitted about 3 weeks ago and expecting a rejection any day now.

Any idea how many in state students they interviewed last year?

I know it was way more IS than OOS, I think a few hundred IS students were interviewed. The class was around 90% IS but either way you need to fit at least one of the major requirements of having tons of rural experience or being Native.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like they interviewed 203 in state residents last year with 58 in state students matriculating. They interviewed 27 non-MN residents with 7 of those matriculating.

Incoming Class
Well there you go, answered your own question! Guess I was off by 10.

Last year, 2169 applicants --> 230 interviews --> 65 enrolled. MN residents made up 25% of applicants but 88% of interviewees. That's what I call Minnesota hospitality :)

hmm, how many of those 230 were actually accepted? I imagine many of the interviewees were also accepted to the TC campus and then chose to matriculate there, or elsewhere

hmm, how many of those 230 were actually accepted? I imagine many of the interviewees were also accepted to the TC campus and then chose to matriculate there, or elsewhere
I believe the waitlist made it to about 10, so maybe 75-80 accepted at the end of it all. Not a huge number, most accepted to both MN campuses picked Duluth after second look.

Interviewed here within the last two weeks and absolutely loved it! To all with interviews scheduled- they are very kind and conversational, dont be nervous!. I was told that about 50% of interviewees were accepted last year when accounting for the waitlist. Very hopeful to be coming here next fall!

Interviewed here within the last two weeks and absolutely loved it! To all with interviews scheduled- they are very kind and conversational, dont be nervous!. I was told that about 50% of interviewees were accepted last year when accounting for the waitlist. Very hopeful to be coming here next fall!
Glad you had a positive interview experience : ) let us know when you hear from them!

509 and 3.8

Was rejected from UMN almost instantly so I feel ya. You got an interview at Iowa so I wouldn't be worried. Schools focus on specific metrics, especially UMD.

Was rejected from UMN almost instantly so I feel ya. You got an interview at Iowa so I wouldn't be worried. Schools focus on specific metrics, especially UMD.
How quickly did you hear back from UMN after submitting your secondary?

I'm nervous to hear back from Duluth! I submitted mid-Aug so I guess we'll see!

Has anyone heard news at all in the past few weeks?

Interviewed last week and they said we will not head back until 6-8 weeks later. FYI, they have interviewed only MN residents so far (about 60).

Interviewed last week and they said we will not head back until 6-8 weeks later. FYI, they have interviewed only MN residents so far (about 60).
Ahhh makes sense. Michigan resident here. Hope to be one of the few OOS interviews.

Ahhh makes sense. Michigan resident here. Hope to be one of the few OOS interviews.

IIRC there was a Utah resident that was marked down on the interviewee map but they said he lived in MN for 8 years.

Does anyone know if Duluth accepts letters of intent? I know the twin cities campus strictly prohibits them.

Does anyone know if Duluth accepts letters of intent? I know the twin cities campus strictly prohibits them.

I do not think so. They stressed to only contact them with thank you notes and nothing else.

II! IS, LM 74, complete early August. First of the cycle, my hopes were crushed when UMTC gave me that fast R. Duluth is cooler anyway.

For those applying and those who have interviewed, how serious is Duluth about ties to rural areas? Would it be enough to show you have an interest in rural health or do you need to have grown up on a farm and/or have Native American ancestry?

I have an older friend who went to the twin cities campus and he said one of his buddies got rejected from Duluth despite a strong interest in rural health because he grew up in the cities. I wonder if that's still true

For those applying and those who have interviewed, how serious is Duluth about ties to rural areas? Would it be enough to show you have an interest in rural health or do you need to have grown up on a farm and/or have Native American ancestry?

I have an older friend who went to the twin cities campus and he said one of his buddies got rejected from Duluth despite a strong interest in rural health because he grew up in the cities. I wonder if that's still true

They are 100% serious about their mission statement. If you don't have rural experiences/family med shadowing, be careful if you say you have an interest in it. They called my friend out who said he was interested in family med and said "if you're interested, then why haven't you been interested in the past 4 years?" (To be fair, he had like 100 hours of surgery). There were probably 60 interviewees that pinned their hometown on a map. There were ZERO from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, at least when I was there earlier September.

I met more than one student on my interview day from various suburbs of the cities. I'm sure they had rural shadowing, however.

Accepted! They called me at about 12 today. Can’t believe it!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTED AND I CAN'T STOP BURSTING INTO TEARS. An absolute dream come true. Best of luck to everybody still fighting!!

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted today, understandable since I’m kind of a stretch for their mission. Best of luck all!

I'm a new member so I thought I'd share my stats. LizzyM ~69. Current OOS but previous resident, secondary submitted 9/19, II 10/11.

Anyone know how many they accept off the wait list every year? Was WL today :(

Anyone know how many they accept off the wait list every year? Was WL today :(

They told me on interview day that no one who interviews gets rejected. At minimal we will all get a waitlist spot. Not sure exactly how many. I know they have a high priority waitlist and a normal wait list. The high priority applicants generally get an acceptance. I heard around 8-10 last year were accepted off the waitlist.

ACCEPTED YESTERDAY and cant even believe it!!!! Hope they make a facebook group soon so we can meet future classmates! So excited for everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone that got accepted! Hopefully I can join in on the festivities in a few weeks!

ACCEPTED YESTERDAY and cant even believe it!!!! Hope they make a facebook group soon so we can meet future classmates! So excited for everyone!
LOL they made it in March or April last year, sorry to disappoint.

Congrats to everyone accepted!!! For those of you accepted, would you mind sharing the date you interviewed? Just wondering where they are at in the review process! Anxious to hear back!!!!

Thanks!! I interviewed August 27th.