2018-2019 University of Mississippi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary response requirement: Why medicine? in 500 characters, you are encouraged to not copy from your personal statement

Everything else is just asking about demographic stuff, coursework, ACT/SAT score, etc

Secondary response requirement: Why medicine? in 500 characters, you are encouraged to not copy from your personal statement

Everything else is just asking about demographic stuff, coursework, ACT/SAT score, etc
@gyngyn

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you have a solid gpa and mcat! i am worried about my mcat score. has anyone gotten in with a score on the lower end?

I have a friend who's a M3 now, and he got in with a 499.

how long does it take to get the secondary app?? does everyone get them??

Nah, I mean as soon as I submitted my application for verification.
Received the secondary. Does it say schedule interview for you too? I don’t think I received an interview but I was confused because it says you have been selected and that I need to schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received the secondary. Does it say schedule interview for you too? I don’t think I received an interview but I was confused because it says you have been selected and that I need to schedule.

Yeah, it showed me that after I got an email inviting me for an interview.

AMCAS submitted: 7/29
AMCAS verified: 7/30
II received: 8/7
Interview date: 8/24
Accepted: 9/5!!

hope to see some of yall next year!

stats for anyone interested:

3.933 GPA, 505 MCAT

Completed my secondary, but I am having trouble with my applicant portal! It has just been showing me a white screen with a "learn more" tab. I was also asked to complete a residency verification form and asked to submit supporting documents. Was able to submit all of that information this AM. Hoping for an II soon! My MCAT is on the low end.

Completed my secondary, but I am having trouble with my applicant portal! It has just been showing me a white screen with a "learn more" tab. I was also asked to complete a residency verification form and asked to submit supporting documents. Was able to submit all of that information this AM. Hoping for an II soon! My MCAT is on the low end.
Do you mind sharing stats?

Call tomorrow about the portal! They are really helpful!

Should we talk at least 6 minutes straight for each scenario?

I thought the interviews went fairly well. I felt pretty good about them.

Attachments

• 7681B35C-55C6-480B-A08A-45AB9060F74B.png
    7681B35C-55C6-480B-A08A-45AB9060F74B.png
    214.3 KB · Views: 292
I'm a little bit anxious! Was it difficult to talk about random scenarios? Was it conversational? How did you get prepared?

I practiced talking about different things out loud to myself, that’s how i prepared.

This might be a dumb question but that says they interviewed 282 and 155 matriculated. So more than 155 were accepted but decided to go elsewhere?

This might be a dumb question but that says they interviewed 282 and 155 matriculated. So more than 155 were accepted but decided to go elsewhere?
I think some applicants got rejected and some ended up somewhere else.

Great! I'm a little bit concerned about finishing early! Any advice?

When you finish answering the original question there will be follow up questions, so no worries about finishing early. Think of it as having a conversation with a stranger, “medical school speed dating” in a sense :)

Is anyone else waiting to here back if they got accepted, tabled, or rejected on October 16 - First day regular MD acceptances go out?

Last edited:
When you finish answering the original question there will be follow up questions, so no worries about finishing early. Think of it as having a conversation with a stranger, “medical school speed dating” in a sense :)
Thank you so much! I'm pretty sure that you'll get in :) Good luck!

Anyone in here waiting on a decision tomorrow?

Got accepted!
I'll share my timeline and stats

3.7 sGPA, 3.72 cGPA, 506 MCAT
AMCAS submitted: 7/30
AMCAS verified: 8/28
II received: 8/28
Interview date: 9/11
Accepted: 10/15

Reactions: 1 users
Also just accepted!

3.8 sGPA, 3.86 cGPA 503 MCAT
Interview date: 9/11
Accepted: 10/15

Reactions: 2 users
i got interviewed last Friday and just got an email from ummc and said Status Updated. But there is no content in the email.
Do anyone know what is going on?
Thank you

i got interviewed last Friday and just got an email from ummc and said Status Updated. But there is no content in the email.
Do anyone know what is going on?
Thank you

More than likely, it may have been to inform you about taking CASPer, because looking thru my old emails, the subject line for the CASPer email was "STATUS UPDATE"

Has anyone heard of people getting admitted with bad metrics because every other part of their app and LORs were great? I've already interviewed pretty early and I am wondering if that is a good sign or if they just give most people interviews. They have said application review is holistic and I hope that is true!

Yes! My friend was admitted with a 495. However, I’ve also been told that they have accepted MCAT scores of a 490 if the student had a good GPA & application. Receiving an interview is definitely a good sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
More than likely, it may have been to inform you about taking CASPer, because looking thru my old emails, the subject line for the CASPer email was "STATUS UPDATE"
It’s about CASPer. I received the same e-mail! Also, did anyone else receive an e-mail regarding when our decision would be released?

i did take the CASPer. and got interviewed . this email gave a heart attack lol.

It’s about CASPer. I received the same e-mail! Also, did anyone else receive an e-mail regarding when our decision would be released?
thank you! and yea when i got interviewed on OCT 12th, they told me that i will receive the decision letter on NOV 1st.
corss my finger that i will get in.

thank you! and yea when i got interviewed on OCT 12th, they told me that i will receive the decision letter on NOV 1st.
corss my finger that i will get in.
I received an e-mail telling me an updated date that I would find out my decision. Hope you get in!

Submitted AMCAS app July 2018
Submitted Secondary UMMC app July 2018
Interviewed (MMI) UMMC 8/31/18
Completed CASPer on 10/3/18
Email with "Decision Postponed" recevied 10/16/18

Metrics:
White Male
GPA 4.0 - Biology/Chem Major
MCAT 501 - (127/122/126/126).
Was scheduled to retake MCAT at end of August, but called UMMC admissions in Aug and Leslie Dickens told me not to retake it.
>200 hours direct physician shadowing
>200 hours community service
1 year in research lab
Plus leadership/extracurriculars

Interviews (MMI) went great at UMMC
Completed CASPer

What did I do wrong? CARS subscore? So disappointed....

I tried to message you. Can you change your settings please? It wouldn’t allow me to send you a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk