2019-2020 University of Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My friend that interviewed in person says he didn’t have a confidentiality/NDA to sign. I mentioned it to him after seeing it brought up here several times.

Anyone that interview in person remember if you had to sign anything on interview day?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I remember we all signed the confidentiality agreement (March 12th interview). Not sure if they previously forgot to..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently he doesn’t remember signing anything. Maybe he missed it during a bathroom break. Do you remember when during the day they made you sign it? Was it when the day started or right before the interviews?

It would suck if he doesn’t get in because of that lol.
I wanna say we signed it right before the tours, but it wasn’t something planned. I think actually somebody asked if we should fill it out when they were giving us time to read through the brochure. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they signed it at a different time of the day lol
I don’t think admissions wouldn’t hold it against your friend though!

Reactions: 1 users
I wanna say we signed it right before the tours, but it wasn’t something planned. I think actually somebody asked if we should fill it out when they were giving us time to read through the brochure. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they signed it at a different time of the day lol
I don’t think admissions wouldn’t hold it against your friend though!
Does anyone know what specific research/faculty would be accessible from the Humana Institute? I have an understanding that it’s population sciences research but don’t know what faculty or projects are accessible.
Does anyone know definitively whether Step exam resources will be provided and what other equipment we need to purchase (besides, I’m assuming, a laptop).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what specific research/faculty would be accessible from the Humana Institute? I have an understanding that it’s population sciences research but don’t know what faculty or projects are accessible.
Does anyone know definitively whether Step exam resources will be provided and what other equipment we need to purchase (besides, I’m assuming, a laptop).
Sorry, ^ that post wasn’t meant as a reply to the one preceding it.

The Humana Institute was founded alongside the medical school, so I think it might be likely that medical students (+ other health professions at UH) will help develop and drive projects. I'm sure they've done some work over the past year, but I can't find any information... If you reach out to the director, she might be able to give you more details!

Reactions: 2 users
The Humana Institute was founded alongside the medical school, so I think it might be likely that medical students (+ other health professions at UH) will help develop and drive projects. I'm sure they've done some work over the past year, but I can't find any information... If you reach out to the director, she might be able to give you more details!
Thanks! I’m doing some online searches as well. You’re right, it’s all very new and interprofesional oriented. Can’t wait to see what they have in store

For those of you that have done the interview already, is it okay to wear headphones? Sometimes the mic on my computer goes out and I would hate for it to happen during the interview. Thanks in advance!

For those of you that have done the interview already, is it okay to wear headphones? Sometimes the mic on my computer goes out and I would hate for it to happen during the interview. Thanks in advance!

Yes it’s fine.

Is it an open-file MMI interview? Not sure if this question is prohibited by the NDA.

Is it an open-file MMI interview? Not sure if this question is prohibited by the NDA.
Open/closed file isn't really relevant to MMIs due to the format. The questions they ask are the same for everyone, it isn't guided by your background.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, congratulations!! Do you know if you're going to accept yet? I know you mentioned you matched well already, but UH is definitely an exciting school at a great price.

They said we only have ONE week to decide as they are on a time crunch.

Reactions: 3 users
Are we not allowed to know ahead of time how many MMI stations and the length for each? Im a few days out from interviewing but have not received any info from them.

Are we not allowed to know ahead of time how many MMI stations and the length for each? Im a few days out from interviewing but have not received any info from them.
They didn't tell anyone beforehand as far as I know. On the interview day they actually didn't tell us how many there were, we just sort of kept going until we were finished :)

They didn't tell anyone beforehand as far as I know. On the interview day they actually didn't tell us how many there were, we just sort of kept going until we were finished :)

That sucks :( I just want to practice my timing.... thank you for letting me know!

Congrats! What dates were given to you as Interview options if you don’t mind?
Thank you ! I saw 16th, 21st, 23rd. I believe last week of April was also available but I can’t confirm I was so focused on my date that I didn’t scan all of them.

Thank you ! I saw 16th, 21st, 23rd. I believe last week of April was also available but I can’t confirm I was so focused on my date that I didn’t scan all of them.
April 28th is available.

No the other dates that the person I applied to were available as well. I was just adding that the 28th was also available.
Okay cool, thanks! That means that there are probably still more IIs that haven't gone out yet.

II around noon!

I selected tomorrow’s date. I am wondering of when will I receive the email outlining the virtual interview details. Would appreciate input from anyone who interviewed virtually at UH COM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

II around noon!

I selected tomorrow’s date. I am wondering of when will I receive the email outlining the virtual interview details. Would appreciate input from anyone who interviewed virtually at UH COM.

I got mine around 1:30 PM the day before, it might be worth reaching out to the UH admissions email box just to double check as they might send out emails one time in a batch.

II around noon!

II on 4/1 and I selected the 4/2 date. I received my email with the interview details 4/1 around 5pm.

Did anyone get a specific time that they were suppose to log in for the zoom interview? Because my email just said my interview is in the afternoon with no specific time

Did anyone get a specific time that they were suppose to log in for the zoom interview? Because my email just said my interview is in the afternoon with no specific time

If you log into your portal there is some information there about the interview process. “All Tuesday interviews will run from 9:00 am to approximately 12:30 pm. All Thursday interviews will run from 1:00 pm to approximately 4:30 pm.”

Hope this helps and good luck!

Does anyone know how to contact the Medical School direcrly? I posted recently that I received an email saying that my admission decision had been posted. Following their instructions through myUH leads me to student communications but there is nothing there. I have tried emailing them but haven't got a response.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using SDN mobile

Does anyone know how to contact the Medical School direcrly? I posted recently that I received an email saying that my admission decision had been posted. Following their instructions through myUH leads me to student communications but there is nothing there. I have tried emailing them but haven't got a response.

Have you tried logging into your application portal or sending a message to the email address associated with the the communications they’ve been sending (secondary invite)?
If you don’t mind sharing, when was your decision posted?

Any luck?

I know everyone has signed a non disclosure, but any tips or advice anyone can say about interview? Pretty anxious about it, my first MMI, And just worried about it being online.

I know everyone has signed a non disclosure, but any tips or advice anyone can say about interview? Pretty anxious about it, my first MMI, And just worried about it being online.

Best wishes! I’d say read up on MMI resources out there and you will do great! They’ve set it up nicely given its virtual and are prepared to accommodate anyone who experiences technical difficulties so don’t worry about that piece of it!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they are using NBME materials as exams? And are their lectures mandatory because it seems they are utilizing interactive style similar to UIWSOM I believe?

Best wishes! I’d say read up on MMI resources out there and you will do great! They’ve set it up nicely given its virtual and are prepared to accommodate anyone who experiences technical difficulties so don’t worry about that piece of it!
Thank you ! This made me feel better !

Does anyone know if they are using NBME materials as exams? And are their lectures mandatory because it seems they are utilizing interactive style similar to UIWSOM I believe?

They told us 20-24 hours per week of activities. I assume its mandatory because they are doing very little actual lecture time. More small group discussions, TBLs, etc.

They said NBME exams to start for class assessments and lectures are mandatory but it's only 25% of activities during the week as Dno mentioned.

Sorry, I am a bit confused still. Can you clarify re: NBME to start for class assessments? Like only initially to gauge our understanding and change it back to their own written base exams?
They said NBME exams to start for class assessments and lectures are mandatory but it's only 25% of activities during the week as Dno mentioned.

Sent from my LG-H932 using SDN mobile

Sorry, I am a bit confused still. Can you clarify re: NBME to start for class assessments? Like only initially to gauge our understanding and change it back to their own written base exams?

Sent from my LG-H932 using SDN mobile

They said that at least for next year, they’re planning for all exams/course assessments to be NBME exams but in the future this could change.

Has anyone heard anything else about when they plan to release [more] decisions?

I got the email with the NDA today. I see that there’s a spot for a witness to sign. Did you guys just have a friend or family member sign there? Also, did you use an E signature or did you print, sign, and scan?