You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Yale University
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm planning on staying the whole time. You could check for flights into/from Hartford. Rides with Connecticut Limo from Hartford's airport (BDL) to the doorstep of YSM were $55 each way.Hey y'all! For second look, are those going planning on staying the whole time are leaving early? In terms of flight tickets, it's about $150 cheaper for me to leave halfway through Friday so I'm thinking of attending through then.
Also in terms of getting to New Haven, quickest/cheapest way is to fly into New York City then take the train in? Or any alternatives others suggest?
Thanks in advance!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
fling105
Full Member
Stop.Updates: new 2020 USNWR rankings dropped today and Yale is #13!
hope_aim_07
New Member
To those who got interviews, would you mind disclosing your ECs?
To those who got interviews, would you mind disclosing your ECs?
Check out MDapplicants, it'll be easier for you. Feel free to PM.
Feel free to PM me. I don't mind sharing privately.To those who got interviews, would you mind disclosing your ECs?
Before I call, has anyone who requested a student host for second look gotten one yet?
I have, but it is for MD/PhD. Just got the email.
I have not received word of hosts!Before I call, has anyone who requested a student host for second look gotten one yet?
Anyone heard about hosts yet?I have not received word of hosts!
NegativeAnyone heard about hosts yet?
I got mine on Friday via email.Has anyone received their financial aid award yet? And if so, does it arrive via email or regular mail? Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else still waiting on financial aid award?
Yes but I submitted after the March 1 deadline
desert_tortoise
Full Member
Is anyone still waiting for fin aid? Are they generally sending information by email or do we need to check some portal?
desert_tortoise
Full Member
Follow-up question: do we already have access to the Yale SIS account or is this something else they should be emailing us with?Is anyone still waiting for fin aid? Are they generally sending information by email or do we need to check some portal?
desert_tortoise
Full Member
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I couldn't make it but hope you're all having a blast!!If you aren't at second look, they might snail mail your financial aid package @desert_tortoise
I hope everyone is enjoying second look! For people who were WL, when do you think offers might start to come out? Do you think there’s any chance that they may start after April 15? Considering that people have to narrow they choices down to 3 at that point.
May is approaching soon....any other waitlist hopefuls staunchly refreshing this page?
+1
engineerfren
New Member
A friend of mine got off the waitlist this afternoon-- she got a call from the Admissions Director.
noscrubs96
Full Member
I also got in off the waitlist today via phone call. I’m sure more will roll out bc the traffic laws are predicted to lead to more WL movement, so stay positive!
PotatoePotatoe
New Member
Also got off the waitlist yesterday - good luck to everyone waiting!
Any MSTP applicants know anything about waitlist movement? A director told me it may not happen until mid-may..
To anyone who was accepted in March- how generous are their financial aid packages?
I was accepted off of the waitlist yesterday and I'm trying to decide between Yale and a school where I'd have very cheap in-state tuition. They told me I'd get my financial aid offer by Monday, but any ideas on what to expect would be much appreciated!
I was accepted off of the waitlist yesterday and I'm trying to decide between Yale and a school where I'd have very cheap in-state tuition. They told me I'd get my financial aid offer by Monday, but any ideas on what to expect would be much appreciated!
Hola ya'll!
Was accepted off the waitlist yesterday, I'm very stuck and would greatly appreciate any and all advice (also sorry if you've answered this somewhere else on reddit/sdn, I'm just losing my mind).
What would ya'll do in this situation?
A. Go to a kinda-similarly-ranked school (Michigan) where there's a 50/50 chance that you don't pay anything or you pay 25k a year, and not be with your MD/PhD SO for 4-5 years.
B. Go to Yale with your MD/PhD SO where there's a 50/50 chance you'll pay 15k a year or you'll pay 65k a year.
Any advice is appreciated, gracias!
Was accepted off the waitlist yesterday, I'm very stuck and would greatly appreciate any and all advice (also sorry if you've answered this somewhere else on reddit/sdn, I'm just losing my mind).
What would ya'll do in this situation?
A. Go to a kinda-similarly-ranked school (Michigan) where there's a 50/50 chance that you don't pay anything or you pay 25k a year, and not be with your MD/PhD SO for 4-5 years.
B. Go to Yale with your MD/PhD SO where there's a 50/50 chance you'll pay 15k a year or you'll pay 65k a year.
Any advice is appreciated, gracias!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hola ya'll!
Was accepted off the waitlist yesterday, I'm very stuck and would greatly appreciate any and all advice (also sorry if you've answered this somewhere else on reddit/sdn, I'm just losing my mind).
What would ya'll do in this situation?
A. Go to a kinda-similarly-ranked school (Michigan) where there's a 50/50 chance that you don't pay anything or you pay 25k a year, and not be with your MD/PhD SO for 4-5 years.
B. Go to Yale with your MD/PhD SO where there's a 50/50 chance you'll pay 15k a year or you'll pay 65k a year.
Any advice is appreciated, gracias!
1) where would you go if both were full rides?
2) what school do you like the most?
3) do you see yourself long term with your SO/willing to take on the extra debt for him/her?
B. Go to Yale with your MD/PhD SO where there's a 50/50 chance you'll pay 15k a year or you'll pay 65k a year.
So happy to hear you got off! I still vote for being with SO!
So happy to hear you got off! I still vote for being with SO!
Oh no, now I'm sure that you've seen my post at least 3 times - thank you for being so helpful each time 🙂 <3
1) where would you go if both were full rides?
2) what school do you like the most?
3) do you see yourself long term with your SO/willing to take on the extra debt for him/her?
1) Probably yale but I'm not 100% sure because of 2)
2) I was only able to go to Michigan's second look, so I have no clue how I feel about Yale
3) The relationship is serious - we plan on getting engaged midway through med school and married once the FAFSA doesn't care anymore lmao. The problem is that I don't know if $200k in debt is worth spending 4-5 years together. If I knew I could match back in the yale system for residency after 4-5 years at michigan, I would feel better. But I know that it's easier to match in your home institution, so then yale??? idk
thank u for listening/reading my ramblings haha
Oh no, now I'm sure that you've seen my post at least 3 times - thank you for being so helpful each time [emoji4]
1) Probably yale but I'm not 100% sure because of 2)
2) I was only able to go to Michigan's second look, so I have no clue how I feel about Yale
3) The relationship is serious - we plan on getting engaged midway through med school and married once the FAFSA doesn't care anymore lmao. The problem is that I don't know if $200k in debt is worth spending 4-5 years together. If I knew I could match back in the yale system for residency after 4-5 years at michigan, I would feel better. But I know that it's easier to match in your home institution, so then yale??? idk
thank u for listening/reading my ramblings haha
For number 3 — listen, I in NO way mean to sound pessimistic (although it’s going to pretty much sound that way). However, no one knows the future. I hope 100% that you guys make it all the way and do nothing but flourish but anything can happen. I say don’t go into debt. That way in the event the worst happens (you two break up) you’ll at least not be 200k in the hole. If it’s strong and real there’s a good chance it will last despite the distance. Especially if you’d feel better about it, it’s best to go with that. The peace of mind that comes with better financial stability is golden.
I agree if you guys have a strong relationship and plan on getting married there no reason to go 200k in debt when you could go to Michigan for 100k less or even for free. It’s honesty up to you and how you feel about the situationFor number 3 — listen, I in NO way mean to sound pessimistic (although it’s going to pretty much sound that way). However, no one knows the future. I hope 100% that you guys make it all the way and do nothing but flourish but anything can happen. I say don’t go into debt. That way in the event the worst happens (you two break up) you’ll at least not be 200k in the hole. If it’s strong and real there’s a good chance it will last despite the distance. Especially if you’d feel better about it, it’s best to go with that. The peace of mind that comes with better financial stability is golden.
For number 3 — listen, I in NO way mean to sound pessimistic (although it’s going to pretty much sound that way). However, no one knows the future. I hope 100% that you guys make it all the way and do nothing but flourish but anything can happen. I say don’t go into debt. That way in the event the worst happens (you two break up) you’ll at least not be 200k in the hole. If it’s strong and real there’s a good chance it will last despite the distance. Especially if you’d feel better about it, it’s best to go with that. The peace of mind that comes with better financial stability is golden.
No worries, thank you for this direct information!!! Just to confirm, would you tell me this same exact advice if I told you that this person was my fiance/marriage partner? I'm always worried about the bias of "oh it's just a significant other/boyfriend/girlfriend" when I solicit people for advice.
I agree if you guys have a strong relationship and plan on getting married there no reason to go 200k in debt when you could go to Michigan for 100k less or even for free. It’s honesty up to you and how you feel about the situation
Thank you for this advice! I'm just really stuck, if I go to mich we'll be 5 years apart from each other, and I'm worried about being able to match back for residency haha
No worries, thank you for this direct information!!! Just to confirm, would you tell me this same exact advice if I told you that this person was my fiance/marriage partner? I'm always worried about the bias of "oh it's just a significant other/boyfriend/girlfriend" when I solicit people for advice.
Thank you for this advice! I'm just really stuck, if I go to mich we'll be 5 years apart from each other, and I'm worried about being able to match back for residency haha
I would — if anything, it being a fiancé/marriage partner would be all the more reason to go to Michigan. If it’s to that point then I would imagine your relationship would be strong enough to last the distance for a few years. Plus Michigan is extremely flexible (i.e. having biweekly quizzes this coming year) plus your SO is going to Yale and the Yale System basically lets you do whatever you want lol so I’m sure you two could find time to see each other.
Can't you do couples match at that point? I personally would take the Michigan, but only YOU know the right decision and you can't really go wrong with either.No worries, thank you for this direct information!!! Just to confirm, would you tell me this same exact advice if I told you that this person was my fiance/marriage partner? I'm always worried about the bias of "oh it's just a significant other/boyfriend/girlfriend" when I solicit people for advice.
Thank you for this advice! I'm just really stuck, if I go to mich we'll be 5 years apart from each other, and I'm worried about being able to match back for residency haha
Can't you do couples match at that point? I personally would take the Michigan, but only YOU know the right decision and you can't really go wrong with either.
Unfortunately, no, they're a
No worries, thank you for this direct information!!! Just to confirm, would you tell me this same exact advice if I told you that this person was my fiance/marriage partner? I'm always worried about the bias of "oh it's just a significant other/boyfriend/girlfriend" when I solicit people for advice.
Thank you for this advice! I'm just really stuck, if I go to mich we'll be 5 years apart from each other, and I'm worried about being able to match back for residency haha
I think that 5 years together + the knowledge that you're more likely to match back to Yale is worth the money if this is someone you really see yourself with. Would you and your SO be living together? This could potentially save some money. I would personally find it very hard to be apart from someone for so long and to maintain a long-distance relationship for 4+ (or more likely, 8+) while simultaneously in med school and residency doesn't seem like something I'd be able to do. Flights from Detroit to Hartford aren't cheap either.
PotatoePotatoe
New Member
Oh no, now I'm sure that you've seen my post at least 3 times - thank you for being so helpful each time 🙂 <3
1) Probably yale but I'm not 100% sure because of 2)
2) I was only able to go to Michigan's second look, so I have no clue how I feel about Yale
3) The relationship is serious - we plan on getting engaged midway through med school and married once the FAFSA doesn't care anymore lmao. The problem is that I don't know if $200k in debt is worth spending 4-5 years together. If I knew I could match back in the yale system for residency after 4-5 years at michigan, I would feel better. But I know that it's easier to match in your home institution, so then yale??? idk
thank u for listening/reading my ramblings haha
It is SO much easier to match to your home institution. Just looking at match lists from almost any school, the home institution bias is HUGE (including yale's, from this year). Going to Yale for medical school will make it 100x more likely to match into Yale for residency. Hopefully you've have aid information before you have to decide?
It is SO much easier to match to your home institution. Just looking at match lists from almost any school, the home institution bias is HUGE (including yale's, from this year). Going to Yale for medical school will make it 100x more likely to match into Yale for residency. Hopefully you've have aid information before you have to decide?
Thank you for this advice! Yes, I have received the aid info for the next year, and it will be a little tight but I can probably make it work (that mandatory 15k unit loan is killing me). My big concern is that there's a 50/50 shot that I can successfully get the tax documents from my custodial parent for the next three years
wrotesongsaboutricky
New Member
Just got off the waitlist! No letter of intent or interest, interviewed in September. Good luck to everyone else waiting
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
noscrubs96
Full Member
Also withdrawing my acceptance, wishing all the best to those on the waitlist!
Wait guys I am so confused and worried. I'm on the waitlist but I got an email from the financial aid office at Yale saying congratulations on my acceptance??? I haven't received a call or anything. No update on the portal only this email. Mistake????
Call the office of admissions!!!
PotatoePotatoe
New Member
Anyone else withdrawing their acceptance?
Withdrew today - good luck to everyone still waiting, and congratulations to those accepted!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K