2018-2019 Yale University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What day in March are we going to hear back?
There's no specific date; the official 'date' is by mid-March, but historically it seems they have released decisions the first week of March.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for this offer!

I think it might be helpful to clarify a few things in order for everyone to understand what you are asking

#Cost of attendance (COA)

The whole cost to attend medical school. COA= tuition+fees+cost of living (COL)+other expected expenses

Different schools count different things as expected expenses. Stingier schools include less in the COA, which reduce the need of the school to provide fin aid for those students, for example, step 1/2 fees, transportation for clinical rotation. Yale include pretty much everything under the sun.

#Unit loan
The portion of the COA not covered by maximum amount of need based scholarship. At Yale the amount is $15k. However, the term is a misnomer because you don't have to borrow this portion if you can finance it some other way. For example, get merit based scholarship, borrow from family or friends.

Now answers to your questions:

1. Theoretically, is there any way that one would receive a financial aid offer to Yale that covers full tuition and COL? Or only full tuition?
Yes. It is possible for you to cover your whole COA by scholarships at Yale if you receive additional merit based aid from whatever source.

2. Is the 15k mandatory(?) loan part of tuition?
See #Unit loan

3. Does Yale Financial Aid (excluding loans) cover any cost of living issues such as room and board, transportation, food, etc?
Yes. The maximum need based scholarship offered by Yale is no less than $80k. 20k more than the tuition and fees. I think the reason for your confusion is that some schools like WashU ( at least in 2015 it was the case) prohibit any scholarship to be applied to COL portion of the COA. Yale is not like that.

4. How does a dual-degree program work financial-aid-wise at Yale?
Med school aid applies when you are working towards your medical degree. Fin aid from other other degree programs covers the rest, which are degree specific.

What you didn't ask but probably was trying to: Does Yale have institutional merit scholarship?
As far as I know. Yale does not have pure merit based aid. There is a special scholarship created to provide additional assistance to exceptional candidates who come from socioeconomically disadvantaged background by paying for their unit loan. The financial aid office has no control over who gets this. It's an independent committee. In the past the amount was quit significant because the unit loan was of greater amount. Not sure what they are going to do now with the unit loan reduction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Good news everyone!
Just got the email to sign up for calling the accepted students on March 4th 5:30-9:30.
The results should be out by email and by status change before that.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good news everyone!
Just got the email to sign up for calling the accepted students on March 4th 5:30-9:30.
Best of luck!

So it looks like we may hear back this upcoming week then! Thanks for the update :’)

Reactions: 3 users
Good news everyone!
Best of luck!

We truly do not deserve you. Thank you so much!

Good news everyone!
Best of luck!

So we get the email on March 4th too? Or before

I think it might be helpful to clarify a few things in order for everyone to understand what you are asking

#Cost of attendance (COA)

The whole cost to attend medical school. COA= tuition+fees+cost of living (COL)+other expected expenses

Different schools count different things as expected expenses. Stingier schools include less in the COA, which reduce the need of the school to provide fin aid for those students, for example, step 1/2 fees, transportation for clinical rotation. Yale include pretty much everything under the sun.

#Unit loan
The portion of the COA not covered by maximum amount of need based scholarship. At Yale the amount is $15k. However, the term is a misnomer because you don't have to borrow this portion if you can finance it some other way. For example, get merit based scholarship, borrow from family or friends.

Now answers to your questions:

1. Theoretically, is there any way that one would receive a financial aid offer to Yale that covers full tuition and COL? Or only full tuition?
Yes. It is possible for you to cover your whole COA by scholarships at Yale if you receive additional merit based aid from whatever source.

2. Is the 15k mandatory(?) loan part of tuition?
See #Unit loan

3. Does Yale Financial Aid (excluding loans) cover any cost of living issues such as room and board, transportation, food, etc?
Yes. The maximum need based scholarship offered by Yale is no less than $80k. 20k more than the tuition and fees. I think the reason for your confusion is that some schools like WashU ( at least in 2015 it was the case) prohibit any scholarship to be applied to COL portion of the COA. Yale is not like that.

4. How does a dual-degree program work financial-aid-wise at Yale?
Med school aid applies when you are working towards your medical degree. Fin aid from other other degree programs covers the rest, which are degree specific.

What you didn't ask but probably was trying to: Does Yale have institutional merit scholarship?
As far as I know. Yale does not have pure merit based aid. There is a special scholarship created to provide additional assistance to exceptional candidates who come from socioeconomically disadvantaged background by paying for their unit loan. The financial aid office has no control over who gets this. It's an independent committee. In the past the amount was quit significant because the unit loan was of greater amount. Not sure what they are going to do now with the unit loan reduction.

Thank you so much for all of this information! It really puts my mind at ease :)

Judging by past years, they released decisions a few days before the calls. But the calls also weren't on Mondays so not sure what this means. Hopefully sometime this week?

So chances are it’s March 1st. The wait is almost over people!

What does this mean?
Yale estimates that you would need roughly about 95k/12 months to attend medical school. This is a very generous calculation given the low COL. So most students will get $80k in need based scholarship and only have to borrow $15k, unless he or she are expected to have parental contribution or self contribution.**
Bit misleading to claim what "most students" will get without knowing the financial situation of "most students." It's 100% a stretch to say that the majority of students will qualify for the maximum amount of need-based aid and thus only be required to borrow the base unit loan of $15k. Just as a benchmark, I don't have enough fingers to count the number of classmates who have at least one physician in their household. They would come nowhere near the maximum amount of need-based aid if the parent(s) are still practicing medicine, for example. Great info in the post otherwise, but let's not tell people how much need-based they are going to qualify for. Yes, Yale is very generous and many people likely will see better need packages than merit packages they got elsewhere. But to just advertise the new change as the norm for most students is just impractical.

Judging by past years, they released decisions a few days before the calls. But the calls also weren't on Mondays so not sure what this means. Hopefully sometime this week?
The student calls will NOT be how you found out about acceptance. If we are calling next Monday, then you will find out before next Monday. My personal guess would be Friday. But it could be Thursday, ya feel? :ninja:

The student calls will NOT be how you found out about acceptance. If we are calling next Monday, then you will find out before next Monday. My personal guess would be Friday. But it could be Thursday, ya feel? :ninja:
Oh I feel...

They did say end of Feb/early March and second look is early...

Members don't see this ad :)
Shout out to the people who have Columbia possibly this week too! Good luck everyone!

So word on the street is that Yale maybe drops tomorrow...good luck everyone!

What word? What street?

Lmao a user on another thread dropped a possible hint. Plus at this point it’s either tomorrow or Friday I don’t believe Yale is the type of school to shell out acceptances on the weekend (i.e. WashU)

Lmao a user on another thread dropped a possible hint. Plus at this point it’s either tomorrow or Friday I don’t believe Yale is the type of school to shell out acceptances on the weekend (i.e. WashU)
For the last 6 months, I've had mid-March in mind for whatever reason. I'm not sure I'm mentally prepared for this earlier date hahaha!

Does anyone know if MSTP decisions are released the same day as MD decisions? (as in today, if the gossip of SDN is to be believed)

Does anyone know if MSTP decisions are released the same day as MD decisions? (as in today, if the gossip of SDN is to be believed)
I remember them saying March but honestly I don't know what to think now. Do you remember if we are supposed to get two separate decisions or just one from MSTP?

Yale's MSTP FAQ's say that "Final decisions will be made after March 15th. Offers of admission will be made by formal letter. All students are expected to begin the Program in August; the Program does not have rolling admissions."

I'm not sure what reason there is to believe the website info is inaccurate, other than the speculation in the Columbia thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Yale's MSTP FAQ's say that "Final decisions will be made after March 15th. Offers of admission will be made by formal letter. All students are expected to begin the Program in August; the Program does not have rolling admissions."

I'm not sure what reason there is to believe the website info is inaccurate, other than the speculation in the Columbia thread.

I will be crushed- if I have to wait for A LETTER.. should someone call??

My guess is that "final decisions" is a euphemism for rejections. Can't imagine that acceptances would be after march 15 considering revisit is March 27-29

Reactions: 4 users
@gorowannabe
Was the very certain-sounding statement you made in the Columbia thread about Yale limited to MD-only or MSTP as well?

If you go back a couple years on SDN it seems that the first reported MSTP acceptances were always the same day as MD

BUT this cycle is wild so I assume things can always change

Alright guys, just called the MSTP office. Decisions ARE at the same time - and the program administrator told me they would be sending them out "sooner than you think"...

Alright guys, just called the MSTP office. Decisions ARE at the same time - and the program administrator told me they would be sending them out "sooner than you think"...
Where is the nail-biting emoji when I need it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:You guys crack me up. Grateful for laughter in these otherwise stressful times. :heckyeah:

Aaaaaand now I can't study for my exams. Can everyone just think that decisions will come out in say, 30 minutes, so I can get back to studying? :laugh:

giphy.gif

Waiting for the yale notification got me like

Reactions: 5 users

So cryptic. These ambiguous decision release dates are not good for our sanity

Any clue what time decision emails usually go out?

what if we're all on the edge of our seats for nothing and it's actually tomorrow lol (written while lowkey hoping i'll be proven wrong immediately)

what if we're all on the edge of our seats for nothing and it's actually tomorrow lol (written while lowkey hoping i'll be proven wrong immediately)
I'm willing to bet it's tomorrow. It's nearly 3pm EST and no word. Tonight is the rise of the blood moon... THE IDES OF MARCH ARE UPON US.

THE DEMONS ARE COMING. BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!!!!!!!

I'm willing to bet it's tomorrow. It's nearly 3pm EST and no word. Tonight is the rise of the blood moon... THE IDES OF MARCH ARE UPON US.

THE DEMONS ARE COMING. BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!!!!!!!

If it's tomorrow, gorowannabe better be ready to take a break too. Jk, but seriously, where you at Ayaska?