2019-2020 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a heads up, some letters have gone out already :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello neuroporo, I believe that applicants who received an invite to applicant day were shortlisted based on their initial online application. The class is then finalized based on the applicant's interview as well as their online application.

These are just my opinions and your best bet would be to email the admissions committee to get a clearer understanding of how they process their applicants. Hope this helps! :)
Yes I believe that is so. The pool is already narrowed (by quite a lot) by the time they invite people to the applicant days.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, @kjs8028 did you receive the TeamLead information yet? I am flying to Durham next week too, but I have not received the email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Indeed, we were in mid-October interview, I also remembered a few others like Embryo. But, just to clarify, is there a different interview date in October?
Guess not. Only one. So, fingers crossed.
21A89CAA-5EEE-4CCF-93CE-BE615F138AC8.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
He might be referring to september, because there was an additional applicants day session at the end of september.

Oh whoops, my bad! I meant the first one in September.

Hi, @kjs8028 did you receive the TeamLead information yet? I am flying to Durham next week too, but I have not received the email.
I'm attending the applicant day in Singapore on the 11th of November and I received the TeamLead information on the 4th of November (1 week before the applicant day).
I also got another email today about the interview grouping and it specifically states "The TeamLEAD articles have been emailed to you, please let us know if the email did not reach you.", so I'm guessing you'll receive yours soon

I received mine yesterday, Nov 6th. The TeamLEAD is going to be super interesting!

For those who have done the TeamLEAD already, what do you all think about this activity? If you are at liberty to disclose it, please share your experiences! Was it stressful because students argued a lot? or it was more like a casual conversation without tension? Just trying to have a realistic expectation for the activity.

For those who have done the TeamLEAD already, what do you all think about this activity? If you are at liberty to disclose it, please share your experiences! Was it stressful because students argued a lot? or it was more like a casual conversation without tension? Just trying to have a realistic expectation for the activity.
While we were asked not to discuss the content, etc, of the TeamLEAD or other Applicant Day content, you would do yourself a great service by watching this video directly from Duke-NUS

Just like every other group activity, it all depends on your team members.

Some teams were more serious and formal with each other, while some teams joke around more.

My teammates were pretty cool people, so I enjoyed doing the activity with them.

While we were asked not to discuss the content, etc, of the TeamLEAD or other Applicant Day content, you would do yourself a great service by watching this video directly from Duke-NUS

Thanks a lot

Just like every other group activity, it all depends on your team members.

Some teams were more serious and formal with each other, while some teams joke around more.

My teammates were pretty cool people, so I enjoyed doing the activity with them.

great point. I will make extra efforts to make this activity more enjoyable as a team member :)

Does applicant portal login work for anyone?

For those who are going to have the applicant day in Durham, good luck!

Hello everyone!

I had my Applicant day in Singapore on 30 September, I am a Singapore PR and a re-applicant.

The other day, I was going through the posts from the past year and found some patterns in the release date. Having the 1st batch of acceptance letter released on 5 November, I am guessing the 2nd one will be released on the last week of November- first week of December. The average waiting period (in general) has been 2months (+a few days) and beyond 3months period, it's likely that, unfortunately, he/she is not a "so strong" candidate. Therefore, either waitlisted/ rejected (based on my experience). *Of course, there will be exceptions.

From my experience for 2019 cycle, I interviewed on 10 December 2018, got back in March 2019 that my application was being actively reviewed and the final letter that I was waitlisted in mid-June. The 6 months of waiting period, definitely, has not been easy.

I wanted to share so that people have a sense of the timeline, instead of being left hanging in the darkness.

I wish this helps!

It has been rough, but I'm sure everyone will find answers to your questions eventually! And congratulations to those who got the offers!!

Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone!

I had my Applicant day in Singapore on 30 September, I am a Singapore PR and a re-applicant.

The other day, I was going through the posts from the past year and found some patterns in the release date. Having the 1st batch of acceptance letter released on 5 November, I am guessing the 2nd one will be released on the last week of November- first week of December. The average waiting period (in general) has been 2months (+a few days) and beyond 3months period, it's likely that, unfortunately, he/she is not a "so strong" candidate. Therefore, either waitlisted/ rejected (based on my experience). *Of course, there will be exceptions.

From my experience for 2019 cycle, I interviewed on 10 December 2018, got back in March 2019 that my application was being actively reviewed and the final letter that I was waitlisted in mid-June. The 6 months of waiting period, definitely, has not been easy.

I wanted to share so that people have a sense of the timeline, instead of being left hanging in the darkness.

I wish this helps!

It has been rough, but I'm sure everyone will find answers to your questions eventually! And congratulations to those who got the offers!!
Thank you!

Good luck to those who are having the applicant day tomorrow in Durham!
For those of you attending the Nov.16th one, I will see you guys down there:)

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck to those who are having the applicant day tomorrow in Durham!
For those of you attending the Nov.16th one, I will see you guys down there:)
Good luck!

Hello everyone!

I wish this helps!

Thank you for the review!

Did you have your status in the portal change from "Under Review" to "Active Review" or anything like that? I think I am one of those "not strong" candidates so I have had my application "Under Review" forever. No interviews no nothing :(

Did you have your status in the portal change from "Under Review" to "Active Review" or anything like that? I think I am one of those "not strong" candidates so I have had my application "Under Review" forever. No interviews no nothing :(

No worries. I had my interview in Oct but my status in the admission portal is still "Under Review". I am still waiting for the result.
For the interviews, there are a lot more coming, when did you finish your application? Earlier application, earlier interview~I believe (Cos Duke-NUS does not disclose any information about the choosing criteria to us.)
Good luck! We are all waiting endlessly and wish good things happen~

No worries. I had my interview in Oct but my status in the admission portal is still "Under Review". I am still waiting for the result.
For the interviews, there are a lot more coming, when did you finish your application? Earlier application, earlier interview~I believe (Cos Duke-NUS does not disclose any information about the choosing criteria to us.)
I wouldn’t worry about the “under review” status meaning anything. I think I am a very good candidate and the school is a great fit for what I’m looking for both now and in future involvement. I was invited to interview shortly after my app was complete. Interviewed in Oct with Embryo. My status is still listed as “Under Review.” I don’t anticipate that changing until December (and really hope it changes to Accepted!) :)

Yes, I agree with Embryo and Aktak that you don't need to worry about the status:) My status has been "Under Review" all the while.
There are more interviews coming up so I think it's good to give yourself some time for now!

I submitted my application back in September... my MCAT score was low (500ish), so I can see myself being assessed low :(
I hope you get your offer soon!! I think it's a great school.

I wouldn’t worry about the “under review” status meaning anything. I think I am a very good candidate and the school is a great fit for what I’m looking for both now and in future involvement. I was invited to interview shortly after my app was complete. Interviewed in Oct with Embryo. My status is still listed as “Under Review.” I don’t anticipate that changing until December (and really hope it changes to Accepted!) :)

I am thrilled by your confidence! Definitely hope you will get accepted :)

Yes, I agree with Embryo and Aktak that you don't need to worry about the status:) My status has been "Under Review" all the while.
There are more interviews coming up so I think it's good to give yourself some time for now!

Definitely hope to get the interview. I don't mind it being late, but wish there is some indication of whether it is 'really' under review or it's actually 'secretly' rejected. Judging from the previous thread, some people have been "Under Review" for months on end only to be rejected way late, like just before semester starts.. It would be great if they could place some clarity in the application process; though the lack of which seems to be the case every year as in the past threads...

Reactions: 3 users
I submitted my application back in September... my MCAT score was low (500ish), so I can see myself being assessed low :(
Like what 0pal16 have mentioned, there are more applicant days. So don't lose hope just yet! Based on previous threads there are people with low MCAT scores getting accepted into the school, but iirc they have a high GPA and/or perhaps good ECs to offset that. All the best!

Definitely hope to get the interview. I don't mind it being late, but wish there is some indication of whether it is 'really' under review or it's actually 'secretly' rejected. Judging from the previous thread, some people have been "Under Review" for months on end only to be rejected way late, like just before semester starts.. It would be great if they could place some clarity in the application process; though the lack of which seems to be the case every year as in the past threads...

I think one option you have at this point is to contact the admissions office to show your passion for school. Some students write a letter of intent even before getting their interview invitations and sometimes that works! Try that! That's not going to hurt your application.

I think one option you have at this point is to contact the admissions office to show your passion for school. Some students write a letter of intent even before getting their interview invitations and sometimes that works! Try that! That's not going to hurt your application.

I agree. Doesn't hurt. Folks from their admissions office are really nice. :)

I think you can send an email to the admission office like @kjs8028 said.
I believe all of us have gone through many challenges and now we are here. Don't give up at this stage and that's nothing more we can do. Make a decision you won't regret.

I attended 16 Sep Applicant Day. A staff from Admissions Office called me ytd, asking for additional info. Very sincere, and she mentioned they are actively reviewing all the applicants now. SO yes, don't give up just yet. :)

I attended 16 Sep Applicant Day. A staff from Admissions Office called me ytd, asking for additional info. Very sincere, and she mentioned they are actively reviewing all the applicants now. SO yes, don't give up just yet. :)
OH wow, it sounds promising you may get the offer soon

OH wow, it sounds promising you may get the offer soon

The dean during the applicant day in Durham mentioned that Duke-NUS is trying to release a wave of admissions before Christmas. I guess many will hear about their offers soon!

Reactions: 4 users
The dean during the applicant day in Durham mentioned that Duke-NUS is trying to release a wave of admissions before Christmas. I guess many will hear about their offers soon!
OMG! Accepted a few minutes ago!!! Definitely a gift for thanksgiving. Hope you guys receive your Christmas gift soon!!!
All the best :soexcited: :clap:

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
OMG! Accepted a few minutes ago!!! Definitely a gift for thanksgiving. Hope you guys receive your Christmas gift soon!!!
All the best :soexcited: :clap:
Such great news, Cyberdoc2077! I wonder if anyone else from our group has received anything yet!
*Bites nails* And if I will...

Congratulations! You deserve it!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users