2019-2020 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know how many weeks of "summer" there are bw M1 and M2? :) I read somewhere on this thread that it is typically less than other DO schools so I was jw

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know how many weeks of "summer" there are bw M1 and M2? :) I read somewhere on this thread that it is typically less than other DO schools so I was jw
We have just over 8 weeks this year.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my seat for a hometown offer. Best of luck to anyone waiting!!

Reactions: 9 users
Are there any current Joplin students I can DM questions about apartment living?

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently on the waitlist and I wasn't sure if other waitlisted students are sending the pre-matriculation paperwork that was attached in the email about making sure we still wanted to be on the waitlist? Or if anyone who has gotten off the waitlist has advice? I'm from Kansas City, MO and getting really nervous :/

I am currently on the waitlist and I wasn't sure if other waitlisted students are sending the pre-matriculation paperwork that was attached in the email about making sure we still wanted to be on the waitlist? Or if anyone who has gotten off the waitlist has advice? I'm from Kansas City, MO and getting really nervous :/

email I got said just to have the files on hand and ready to submit because of the expedited response. I let the admissions committee know that I already found a place to live and I have all my paperwork ready to submit.

Hey guys, I am a current 1st year in Joplin (will be a second year in one week!). Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Reactions: 4 users
Any Canadians waiting on their I-20? Still haven't gotten mine yet :(

Call the school! I'm sure they'd be able to work something out cause there's a lot of canadians. Or worst is that you can wait until you move into your place in kc, then get it sent to you.
Hmmm.. maybe so. Thanks for the tip! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
email I got said just to have the files on hand and ready to submit because of the expedited response. I let the admissions committee know that I already found a place to live and I have all my paperwork ready to submit.
What's this pre-matriculation paperwork you are speaking of? I responed to the email survey and never got a link to this paperwork. I responded to the orginal one in April, but they said they never got a response when they contacted me in early May to fill out another survey. I filled out the survey again and emailed admisssions to confirm they received it this time which they did. Can anyone elaborate on this pre-matriculation paperwork and should I do anything to get a hold of it? Thanks!

What's this pre-matriculation paperwork you are speaking of? I responed to the email survey and never got a link to this paperwork. I responded to the orginal one in April, but they said they never got a response when they contacted me in early May to fill out another survey. I filled out the survey again and emailed admisssions to confirm they received it this time which they did. Can anyone elaborate on this pre-matriculation paperwork and should I do anything to get a hold of it? Thanks!

COM Matriculation. This is the paperwork link I received

this thread has been quiet today... a little too quiet

xJQb7QH.png

Reactions: 12 users
I heard a rumor that there won’t be any cadaver dissections in the fall... Hoping this is just a rumor, but has anyone else heard anything about this?

I heard a rumor that there won’t be any cadaver dissections in the fall... Hoping this is just a rumor, but has anyone else heard anything about this?

Not that I know of, but wouldn't be surprised. Our KC anatomy lab is pretty small and having hundreds of med students crowding in one place is the exact opposite of social distancing.

It's possible; current first years wrapped up anatomy doing things online. The only way I could see them doing in-person labs is if they stagger a bunch of small groups throughout the day, because normally it's 1/2 of the class at a time. I know anatomy lab sounds cool, but honestly it is a huge time sink and you don't benefit too much from it so I would try not to be too concerned.

Reactions: 4 users
I was under the impression they would be limiting the size of small groups for activities, which includes cadaver dissections but if first years ended with online it's a strong possibility.

Reactions: 2 users
It's possible; current first years wrapped up anatomy doing things online. The only way I could see them doing in-person labs is if they stagger a bunch of small groups throughout the day, because normally it's 1/2 of the class at a time. I know anatomy lab sounds cool, but honestly it is a huge time sink and you don't benefit too much from it so I would try not to be too concerned.
Eh i don't know about that. I learned a lot more seeing real structures down there. For GIGU, I retained nothing. The online practical was just memorizing pictures on Atlas lol.

Eh i don't know about that. I learned a lot more seeing real structures down there. For GIGU, I retained nothing. The online practical was just memorizing pictures on Atlas lol.
Yeah I think it's just a personal thing. I wouldn't have wanted it to be fully online but I think schools that do it where you already have a cadaver dissected out are doing it right. For me I found it a huge waste of time to actually sit and do all of the work of dissecting.

I found cadaver lab very useful--but not during the lab/dissection sessions. those were always frantic and crowded and hard to figure out what we were supposed to be looking at. I learned a ton with my tutor group, who were really excellent teachers. I would also go back during off hours and clean and identify structures on our cadaver and practice giving little "tours" that really helped solidify the knowledge.

I saw on the KCU instagram stories someone had posted a picture of a powerpoint where it said no cadaver lab in the fall, but then some intensive anatomy lab stuff in the spring with extra sessions for those who want it. I don't know where it was from and I'm almost certain it wasn't meant to be shared publicly, so don't take it as gospel.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know where I can find the official textbook list for first year?
Current students will share a google drive with all the books you need on it, you'll pry get it during orientation if you haven't seen it already

It was discussed in a "town hall" meeting that there would not be anatomy lab in the fall, but an optional immersion anatomy lab in late spring planned

Text book list is posted on the Library web page which you should be able to access through the single sign on if you have that set up. Im not 100% sure it has been updated for the incoming class, but I doubt it would have changed.

All required books can be accessed on the Library page, but you can't download them or save your place... big pain in the ass

(Try to keep any knowledge of drives on the down low since they are not approved by the university and previous students have gotten in trouble for distributing)

For SFM (the first block) the textbook you'll use is Medical Biochemistry written by Panini

Feel free to DM me if you have further questions

@Scribbler17

Last edited:
It was discussed in a "town hall" meeting that there would not be anatomy lab in the fall, but an optional immersion anatomy lab in late spring planned

Was this confirmed in the town hall or just mentioned as a suggestion. Haven’t heard anything else about this.

ill be disappointed if theres no anatomy lab.. i learn best hands-on.

Reactions: 5 users
Was this confirmed in the town hall or just mentioned as a suggestion. Haven’t heard anything else about this.
I wasn't on the zoom call, but my friend who was sent me a picture of the PowerPoint sliding stating that there would be no anatomy lab. I would hope they would let you guys know the plan soon!

• Sad
Thanks for the information. I’m not gonna lie, it’s getting a little frustrating that they have not sent much information to incoming students yet. I understand that a lot of discussion goes into making these decisions, but I wish they would at least keep us in the loop with things like this because, at least to me, not having an anatomy lab sounds like a pretty big deal...

Thanks for the information. I’m not gonna lie, it’s getting a little frustrating that they have not sent much information to incoming students yet. I understand that a lot of discussion goes into making these decisions, but I wish they would at least keep us in the loop with things like this because, at least to me, not having an anatomy lab sounds like a pretty big deal...
yeah i agree on this.. anatomy lab is huge in just learning and being able to dissect

yeah i agree on this.. anatomy lab is huge in just learning and being able to dissect
Y'all....I get it, really. Anatomy lab seems like one of the coolest parts of being a med student. But trust me, being able to dissect is essential to absolutely nothing. It's a huge time suck in which you spend 2 hours just trying to find the structure, 99% of the time is spent just trying to clean off all of the fat and other tissues obstructing whatever you're looking for. I 100% agree with the other posters-- being able to go down to the lab for tutoring was awesome and really helped me, but the actual dissection? Not helpful at all, take it from people who have actually been through the process. I hope that they find a way to still allow you guys to come down to the lab maybe in small groups, to observe and learn from a body that has already been dissected. I wouldn't freak out about not actually doing the dissecting.

Reactions: 9 users

While I get your frustration in the lack of communication, keep in mind that admin is busy putting out many, many fires. As a current student, there are some things that we still havent heard about yet, or don’t know yet. The school has to make decisions on if next year will be pass/fail, or if there will be letter grades. They have to make sure that all 2nd years can get their boards in. They have to make sure that 2nd years can get to their clerkship sites. There’s a lot of moving parts that need to be solved before the end of July. Anatomy lab typically starts in September, so this may be a decision that they make later in the road right before school starts.

Reactions: 7 users
Y'all....I get it, really. Anatomy lab seems like one of the coolest parts of being a med student. But trust me, being able to dissect is essential to absolutely nothing. It's a huge time suck in which you spend 2 hours just trying to find the structure, 99% of the time is spent just trying to clean off all of the fat and other tissues obstructing whatever you're looking for. I 100% agree with the other posters-- being able to go down to the lab for tutoring was awesome and really helped me, but the actual dissection? Not helpful at all, take it from people who have actually been through the process. I hope that they find a way to still allow you guys to come down to the lab maybe in small groups, to observe and learn from a body that has already been dissected. I wouldn't freak out about not actually doing the dissecting.
Meh, I thought it was worthwhile to actually do the dissection. It wasn't always enjoyable, but it gave me perspective on the spatial relationships that I don't think I'd have gotten if I'd just been shown on a prosected cadaver. To each their own, I suppose.

Reactions: 7 users
Meh, I thought it was worthwhile to actually do the dissection. It wasn't always enjoyable, but it gave me perspective on the spatial relationships that I don't think I'd have gotten if I'd just been shown on a prosected cadaver. To each their own, I suppose.
Totally! Not trying to invalidate anyone's feelings, I just don't think it isn't the biggest deal if dissection doesn't happen. It just seems like a big deal as an incoming student because anatomy lab is something most people associate med school with, and it makes you feel like a real med student.

I agree, I didnt think dissecting really helped me much at all. It was much more of a time sink for me at least

Is it safe to assume that white coat is cancelled/postponed and orientation will be virtual?

Totally! Not trying to invalidate anyone's feelings, I just don't think it isn't the biggest deal if dissection doesn't happen. It just seems like a big deal as an incoming student because anatomy lab is something most people associate med school with, and it makes you feel like a real med student.
They actually kinda ran an experiment this year- Neuro was dissected for us, and all we had to do was go in and look at structures. I failed the 2nd neuro practical, as did over half the class (thanks rhomboid fossa). Dissecting myself lets me learn the material and the spatial relationship, but it is a huge time sink. But then again, unless you go into surgery, knowing your anatomical relationships probably isnt that important.

They actually kinda ran an experiment this year- Neuro was dissected for us, and all we had to do was go in and look at structures. I failed the 2nd neuro practical, as did over half the class (thanks rhomboid fossa). Dissecting myself lets me learn the material and the spatial relationship, but it is a huge time sink. But then again, unless you go into surgery, knowing your anatomical relationships probably isnt that important.
That’s my thing. I’m interested in a surgical specialty and even though it may be a time suck, I think it’ll prepare me long term when I do residency and all that. Again, hands on learning for me is most important

Part of the reason for the low avg on that practical was 1. neuro anatomy is hard in general and 2. Dr. K made it hard (intentionally) 3. all those nuclei in thousands of MRI slices, which i thought was ridiculous

Why not just reduce the number of students in the lab with multiple sections and also have everything dissected before. This seems like kind of a good middle ground. Students can go in and look at the structures and they won't spend as much time in the lab. Idk just throwing my ideas out there to see what current students think.

Wonder what's going on with OMM labs, cause usually that involves people being so close together cause they have to touch each other lol.

Why not just reduce the number of students in the lab with multiple sections and also have everything dissected before. This seems like kind of a good middle ground. Students can go in and look at the structures and they won't spend as much time in the lab. Idk just throwing my ideas out there to see what current students think.
I understand the frustration, but there are so many different factors that go into having the lab open. For one, everyone learns at a different pace and structure. The way it is normally set up is that students are able to go into the lab whenever to study. Having small groups would mean they would have to have someone in the room with the students at all. Especially at the KC campus that seems rather unrealistic with the number of students. We also share lab coats and they are only cleaned after each block, that would not be sanitary and also not feasible to wash them everyday or really even have a coat assigned individually. There also isn't really a way to remain 6 ft apart in the lab and you would have several people looking at each cadaver. The instructors would be at risk by being around so many students and it would be a lot of work for them to pre dissect each cadaver.

I really hope they find a way to make it work because I personally benefited so much from anatomy lab. This situation is very unique and will take a lot of work to adjust to the new "norm"

I hate to say this since it has been drilled into us, but KCU is big on telling us to learn to tolerate ambiguity :laugh:

The neuro average is abysmal every year lol, I doubt having it pre-dissected was the reason. But I get what you're saying.