2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They sent me an invitation for their Master's program post II R, that hurted LOL
I really wish they (and other DO schools) wouldn't send out the master's program invites in the same emails that they reject you, seems shameless and like rubbing salt in a wound.

I was wondering if any current KCUCOM students could speak to how students are assigned to the clinical sites? Do students get to pick or is there a lottery without any input? Or something inbetween?

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I like to say KC is like any normal city. If you're out at normal times/aware of your surroundings/arent walking alone at night..
100% agree with this.

If you're looking at being safe in city at any time, I would definitely advise everyone to avoid Westport and any area east of Troost here in KC. I've been in Westport before and can confirm it is really sketch at times. As for the city itself, Power and Light district is a great time like during a chiefs game if you're not attending it at Arrowhead or just enjoying KC nightlife in general.

I live in North KC, love it and haven't seen anything remotely sketchy around here. Sometimes I'll see/hear KCPD zoom past on the highway but it's a very chill vibe up here. I'm probably going to re-up my lease in my apartment for another year since I'm staying in KC for rotations.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any insight on how easy it is to obtain research opportunities at KCU from personal experience?

Either? I would like to do research regarding fields I'm interested in cardio, ortho, or other specific fields
theres a summer research internship that kcu offers between m1 and m2 you can do. can also reach out to faculty whenever if you have an idea for something.

most hospitals locally are very friendly to kcu students in my experience. might take a little bit to find something- like any other DO school can be difficult but i havent had any trouble getting involved.

pm if youd like specifics

Reactions: 2 users
theres a summer research internship that kcu offers between m1 and m2 you can do. can also reach out to faculty whenever if you have an idea for something.

most hospitals locally are very friendly to kcu students in my experience. might take a little bit to find something- like any other DO school can be difficult but i havent had any trouble getting involved.

pm if youd like specifics
Thank you I will def reach out if i have questions!

For those that have interviewed -- is it beneficial to practice MMI-type questions for the interview?
I dont think people can answer that for you. interview questions/the type of questions cant be shared.
prep like you would any other interview

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who interviewed on 2/8 heard anything back yet? Hopefully, I get an answer by this week since it's been 6 weeks now.

I dont think people can answer that for you. interview questions/the type of questions cant be shared.
prep like you would any other interview

Yes! Sorry! I meant to see how others prepared but I didn’t think about how that sounded haha. Just finished my interview with them and it seemed like it went well. Fingers crossed!

Has anyone who interviewed on 2/8 heard anything back yet? Hopefully, I get an answer by this week since it's been 6 weeks now.
I interviewed on 2/8. I called about an hour and a half ago and she said that “fingers crossed I would hear by early next week.”

Members don't see this ad :)
Either? I would like to do research regarding fields I'm interested in cardio, ortho, or other specific fields
I cold emailed 50+ docs last winter break, got 6 responses, 3 were open to the idea, only 2 were actually serious (I mean that respectfully) and I ended up with the one that most aligned with the specialty I'm looking to do.

There are dozens of hospitals around the area, many of which KCU has students rotating in. It's very hard to find a physician that hasn't at the very least heard about KCU here in the city. The physician I'm with currently with was very nice and immediately took me in and started me on two projects.

I also emailed another physician a month ago and we've agreed to talk some more sometime this week. It was just a shot in the dark but it might actually work, again cold emailed this physician too

tldr: email every doc that you see on pubmed with a good amount of publications and that you'd like to work with in their respective specialty

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed on 2/8. I called about an hour and a half ago and she said that “fingers crossed I would hear by early next week.”
Wow that would be 7 weeks. Longest its taken for me to hear back from a school post interview.

For people who have emailed admissions about various things, how fast do they typically respond?

If a student goes to the KC campus, can they apply to do their clerkships in Joplin? How do 3rd years choose where they go if they have any choice at all, which I assume they do?

If a student goes to the KC campus, can they apply to do their clerkships in Joplin? How do 3rd years choose where they go if they have any choice at all, which I assume they do?
It works like the match. You rank all the rotation sites in the order you would like and then they run an algorithm and try to make the most people happy as possible. You have the option to write letters for why you need to be at a certain site, whether you have a family tie or other ties to a certain location, also you can include financial, social, health, or other reasons why you need a certain site. I think most people get a spot in their top 3 choices, however, there are definitely sites that are very popular and those will be harder to get.

While we are on the subject of clerkships, if anyone knows someone from KCU that set up their own 3rd year rotations (full core site, or even just some out rotations) I would love to ask them some questions.

I called today and they said they are just now getting back to early feb Interviews

Does anybody know how the waitlist actually works? They claim it's "unranked" but I can't wrap my head around it legitimately being a lottery-type system.

Does anybody know how the waitlist actually works? They claim it's "unranked" but I can't wrap my head around it legitimately being a lottery-type system.
It's not ranked per say, but if someone who was previously accepted deferred for a year, withdrew for another school, or for any other reason can not matriculate into KCU's incoming cohort, then comes time for pulling from the WL.

From what I've heard, they will try to emulate that accepted student's stats with the person they pull in from the WL, all while consulting the entire admissions committee on accepting the individual based on their entire application after the stats have been aligned.

Hope this clears that up, it's not a lottery system, rather a list of candidates that KCU would be okay with accepting should they fall under the minimum required matriculated students for the incoming class.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed on 2/8 and just got a waitlist email. PCOM it is then.

Hey All! I'm sure people have touched on this subject, but as a student do you feel safe on the campus? Like walking to and from your car etc. I have heard the neighborhood around the school is in the worst parts of KC and I'm just so nervous about that. Fortunately and unfortunately I have lived a very safe college town for 10 years and I'm just scared to 1)Be in a new city and 2) Be at a place that many have deemed unsafe.

Hey All! I'm sure people have touched on this subject, but as a student do you feel safe on the campus? Like walking to and from your car etc. I have heard the neighborhood around the school is in the worst parts of KC and I'm just so nervous about that. Fortunately and unfortunately I have lived a very safe college town for 10 years and I'm just scared to 1)Be in a new city and 2) Be at a place that many have deemed unsafe.
I can honestly say I have never heard of anyone feeling unsafe anywhere on campus. Our campus safety is excellent and they do a very good job of keeping campus safe 24/7, 365. Also, the entire campus is surrounded by a fence if that makes you feel any better. That said, the area outside of campus does have a relatively higher amount of crime, but I wouldn't worry about it if you aren't walking around outside of campus after midnight. If you are feeling unsafe or just if you want to, they have an app, or you can call, and campus safety will come to your location and walk with you to your vehicle at any time!

I can honestly say I have never heard of anyone feeling unsafe anywhere on campus. Our campus safety is excellent and they do a very good job of keeping campus safe 24/7, 365. Also, the entire campus is surrounded by a fence if that makes you feel any better. That said, the area outside of campus does have a relatively higher amount of crime, but I wouldn't worry about it if you aren't walking around outside of campus after midnight. If you are feeling unsafe or just if you want to, they have an app, or you can call, and campus safety will come to your location and walk with you to your vehicle at any time!
Thank you!!

I also was wondering how students dealt with financial aid for KCU. I see that they have tuition costs but I can't find anything for total cost of attendance. Are living expenses included in our loan package?

I emailed admissions about campus preference on Tuesday but they still haven't gotten back to me, should I call them on Monday or give it more time?

I emailed admissions about campus preference on Tuesday but they still haven't gotten back to me, should I call them on Monday or give it more time?

I emailed them the day after my interview and they sent me an email confirming that they updated my file the same day. I say call them just to make sure.

campus is SO safe. driving in on either side theres secruity. if youre concerned of safety dont live right next to campus.

Does anyone know how many waitlist positions KCU-COM has for each cycle? (Not sure if they do both campuses all on one waitlist or each campus having their own since the number of seats is different between KC and Joplin)

Those of you who've been accepted, how did you pay the deposits? I haven't received a follow email from admissions with the link and the workday website states that "The external payment processor currently isn't available".

Those of you who've been accepted, how did you pay the deposits? I haven't received a follow email from admissions with the link and the workday website states that "The external payment processor currently isn't available".
The day after the admissions decision email they sent an email with all deadlines that had a hyperlink to pay the acceptance fee. After you pay that, you receive another email with your new workday account info and a message through your new workday account to pay the matriculation fee. If you don't get a second email from admissions I'd call/email them!

For the accepted/current students. Did you attend the open house before class starts? What is it like and do you recommend going?

Thank you!!

I also was wondering how students dealt with financial aid for KCU. I see that they have tuition costs but I can't find anything for total cost of attendance. Are living expenses included in our loan package?
I had called and asked about this. They have a specific number that is factored in to their aid package. They didn’t have this coming year’s figured out, but I was told last year it was 22,670 on top of tuition. They were very helpful and responsive when I emailed and set up a call, so I definitely recommend reaching out if you have more questions.

I had called and asked about this. They have a specific number that is factored in to their aid package. They didn’t have this coming year’s figured out, but I was told last year it was 22,670 on top of tuition. They were very helpful and responsive when I emailed and set up a call, so I definitely recommend reaching out if you have more questions.
I also emailed financial aid and they sent me a PDF from last years cots of living and it had a pretty great breakdown of what expenses the cost of living covers.

Does anyone know how many waitlist positions KCU-COM has for each cycle? (Not sure if they do both campuses all on one waitlist or each campus having their own since the number of seats is different between KC and Joplin)
Also curious about what insight people may have!

My friend in the master's program told me they were informed of their acceptances/R's today!

What does this mean exactly? Like masters students who were on the WL?
There's a master's program at KCU where if students get above a certain GPA (and MCAT I think) they are automatically given an interview at KCUCOM, although I know not 100% of students are accepted. I'm guessing some were probably put on the waitlist

There's a master's program at KCU where if students get above a certain GPA (and MCAT I think) they are automatically given an interview at KCUCOM, although I know not 100% of students are accepted. I'm guessing some were probably put on the waitlist
But they all found out at once?