***2019-2020 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I only had 1 person look over my application (except for PS), which I think is perfectly fine.

For work/activities descriptions, I would recommend reading through the advice threads to get an idea of what cliches to avoid (ie, beginning every description with "As a..."). From there I would have a friend read through and really focus on content. Last, I would use Grammarly to proofread for typos and syntax, then have a voice-to-text read your draft aloud to you (very useful for discovering errors and clunky language). This is the process I used for all my secondaries as well.
For secondaries, did you split the editing of those up between people? I feel like it’s a pretty hefty burden to put on one person otherwise. I was planning on having a couple people read through one version of each of my major essays (diversity, challenge, etc.) and then split up the school-specific ones among some of my friends.

Members don't see this ad.

For secondaries, did you split the editing of those up between people? I feel like it’s a pretty hefty burden to put on one person otherwise. I was planning on having a couple people read through one version of each of my major essays (diversity, challenge, etc.) and then split up the school-specific ones among some of my friends.
I did not. I was lucky to be applying at the same time as a good friend of mine. We just had everything on google docs so we could go through and edit/comment. Your situation may be different so having multiple people could be better for you, but prewriting and spreading out the work is key.

Hola ya'll!

M0 here, I'm procrastinating, so I would love to read and give feedback on some PSs for URM/low-SES chicos and chicas. Feel free to PM me your PS in the form of a google doc that allows people to make edits, and doesn't make people sign in!

Let me know if ya'll have any questions, gracias!
Can I PM you my PS somehow? It seems like your account is on private so I'm unsure of how to do that.

Likewise if anyone is available to take a look at my statement as I try to polish it up by next week it would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Chance Me/school list:

Hispanic Female, 26, non-traditional, not disadvantaged (disadvantaged from 0-10 and then not disadvantaged after that. Didn't claim it on my app)
cGPA : 3.39 (significant upward trend. Left my first program after 90 credits with a 2.4 gpa and recently completed my second bachelors with a 3.89)
MCAT: pending July, realistically 505-510 estimate
Degrees: Russian BA in 2018, Nursing BS 2019
State: SC

Clinical volunteering: Volunteer EMT 75 hours in an underserved/rural town

Nonclinical volunteering: DoD Sexual Assault Victim Advocate 200 hrs

Clinical Work: EMT 700 hrs, Medical Assistant 700 hrs, Registered Nurse 0 (not on my application but I'm starting my first job in the ER next month and will include in my secondaries)

Research: None, unless you count a poster presentation for the Alabama State Nursing Annual Conference

Leadership: Class President, Accelerated BSN (nursing), US Navy Sailor (E-5) supervised 16 sailors and managed $2 mil worth of inventory

Shadowing: 40 hrs with hospitalist, 50 hours with general surgeon,

Awards: Student Leadership Award, nursing scholarship award, honor medal, dean's list

School List:
Medical University of South Carolina
University of South Carolina
Kaiser Permanente
Wake Forest
Oregon Health Sciences U
Rush

Random: Okay so my school list is short because I won't have all of the prereqs complete in order to apply for most med schools (I will have all but 2 completed by the end of spring 2020) and these schools look at competencies rather than specific requirements. I had extensive training in the Navy in physics and chem, but nothing to show for it on a transcript. Probably a stupid decision to apply this cycle, but MUSC is pretty non-trad friendly and they're my number one pick. Pretty much every day I go back and forth between holding off this application to finish my prereqs and then cast a wider net or just committing with what I have now. I have a pretty good narrative about overcoming adversity and my military service but I don't know if it's enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Hola ya'll!

M0 here, I'm procrastinating, so I would love to read and give feedback on some PSs for URM/low-SES chicos and chicas. Feel free to PM me your PS in the form of a google doc that allows people to make edits, and doesn't make people sign in!

Let me know if ya'll have any questions, gracias!

Hi! If theres any way I can PM you lmk :)

This is my first application cycle. Was planning to apply last cycle, but decided not to rush things and instead took time to strengthen my app (retook MCAT, more research, strengthening statements, more advising, etc...). I'm taking the plunge and applying MD/PhD-only despite my low GPA and average MCAT score. I was deliberating applying MD-only at a few schools and entering the MD/PhD program from the MD program, but I do not want to rely on that path. MD/PhD is really, really want I want to do. I'm going to give this cycle my best shot.

If anyone has suggestions of schools to apply to or any other general insight, I'd really appreciate that.

cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.24 (Upward trend)
MCAT: 505, 517
URM: African-American Female (First Generation American)
Double Major: Neuroscience & Behavioral Biology, English & Creative Writing
School: T25

Clinical Experience/Volunteer:
-1200 Hours, volunteering at an endocrinology clinic across 8 summers (starting in middle school & continuing through college)
-24 Hours, volunteering at Cancer Institute

Non-Clinical Volunteer:
-40 Hours, variety of community projects
-30 Hours, volunteering for pharmacy association

Shadowing:
-40 Hours, internal medicine
-20 Hours, Undiagnosed Diseases Program Rounds
-2 Hours (lol), ICU rounds

Research: All research is within the same field and topic.
- 10-Week Summer Research Award (About 400 Hours, No pubs, oral/powerpoint presentation @ symposium on alcohol research).
- NIH postbac research training award (About 4200 Hours so far, projected ~6000 hours). Poster presentation, no pubs. Will have been here for 2 years in September 2019, just offered a 3rd year extension to continue doing research throughout application cycle.

Leadership:
- Writing Center Tutor (258 Hours)
- iGEM Secretary/Graphic Designer, self-taught coding and designed a website to represent team during genetic engineering competition (200 Hours)

Other:
- Freelance Writing: published a comedic article giving an overview of historical medical treatments
- Almost finished with first creative novel (composite novel comprised of five short stories), preparing to self-publish
- This spring, launched a personal blog that integrates my creative writing, scientific, and philosophical interests as I reflect on what I have learned about physics, chemistry, neuroscience, and biology, and how those concepts have shaped my views of the world.

Letters of Rec: All very strong letters.
-Letter from NIH PI/Research Mentor
-Summer Program PI/Research Mentor
-iGEM Mentor (Biochemistry Professor at T25 Medical School)
-Administrator of the clinic I volunteered at 1200+ Hours

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I would appreciate any feedback and help!
Should I add out of states schools as well or would my chances be ok with just Texas? I’d consider going out of Texas for a top school but I highly doubt that is in reach because of my MCAT. Would I have a shot at any top program and if so which ones should I go for?

Hispanic male, 1st generation college student, Non-traditional, Texas Resident.
Based on TMDSAS. Might be slightly higher for AMCAS since my school does +/-
GPA: 3.69
sGPA: 3.8
Degree: Biotechnology
MCAT: 505 126/125/127/127

Non-clinical volunteering: I’ve run a photo & video company for quinceneras/weddings for 5 years to help support myself and my family. ~20 hours every week for the past 5 years.

I’ve been an assistant coach for 5 years after I graduated HS for a club soccer team based in a community with refugee kids. (Our team has a unique story, a sports company made a short commercial on us). ~750 hours

Camp counselor at a camp for kids with chronic kidney disease for two summers. It is a week long camp so I’ve done ~275 hours there.

Research: Not sure if this even counts as research since TMDSAS said to list any class projects so I listed my graduating Capstone experience where we change run tests using biofermentors to grow a gene of interest involved in pesticide degradation. 6 week course. In a lab 4 days of the week. ~90 hours.

Leadership: I was an officer (Public Relations Director) for one of the largest premed organizations at my university (~200 registered members). I was elected as the president for this past year. I’ve been with this organization for 3 years in total. 1 as a member, 1 as a second tier officer, 1 as president.

Shadowing: Shadowed an attending physician for 80 hours. He was a nephrologist and I got to see him at the hospital, outpatient clinics, and ICU at MD Anderson's Cancer Center. He later invited me to be a camp counselor at a camp he runs for kids with chronic kidney disease.

I am applying to all Texas MD and DO schools:
Baylor COM
Texas A&M
Texas Tech SOM
Texas Tech Paul F Foster SOM
TCOM
UT Dell
McGovern
UTMB
UT San Antonio
UTRGV
UT Southwestern
University of incarnate word
Sam Houston (When it officially opens later in the cycle)
University of Houston (When it officially opens later in the cycle)
You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools.

Hi y'all, best of luck to everyone this cycle!!!
any input/advice would be greatly appreciated! praying for some miracles

Ugrad gpa (without postbacc) 3.08; postbacc gpa 3.59, sgpa 3.42 (incl. postbacc), cgpa 3.27 (incl. postbacc)
MCAT score: first attempt 497, second attempt 503 :-/
California Resident
28-year-old Black Male

Undergraduate:
NESCAC school, degree Race and Cultural studies

Clinical Experience:
1800 hours as an ED scribe (accompanying physicians at bedside to obtain history, rather than receiving dictation)
450 hours working as front desk assistant in a medical office

Research Experience:
1440-present: Working in Clinical Research in Oncology
440 Hours: Research assistant OBGYN practice collecting data regarding procedure efficacy and fertility, also involved in patient education (the particular disease was prevalent among the AA community)
670 hours: Research Assistant in NYC,
1st author publication
Included on a presentation given at a national conference

Shadowing:
If scribing doesn’t count, probably 50 hours (Primary care, psychiatry and neurology) most shadowing came from my clinical experiences

Clinical Volunteering:
120 Hours Volunteering at a Psychiatric facility,

Non-Clinical Experience:
100 hours, working at a job placement program for disadvantaged single mothers.
TA for one semester during undergrad

Hi all! I figure ill join this thread. Reapplicant. 1+ year postbac with ~3.9 gpa
cGPA: ~3.2
sGPA: ~3.1
Mcat: 514
URM: AA female
25 y/o
Extensive Research background, some clinical volunteering, significant non-clinical volunteering
If anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone,
Career Changer / Nontrad

NA / White (with tribal affiliation card) despite family ties to our tribal reservation, I look white so I don't even know if I'll get URM consideration

3.3 cGPA, 3.67 sGPA (includes a long 4.0 postbacc where I first took all science prerequisites)
509 MCAT 127/126/128/128 (first try)

Work:
Business / Medical office experience (2-3 years)
Clinical Vol:
Medical Assistant to underserved + basic hospital volunteering (500 hours total)
Nonclinical Vol:
Tutoring junior college in sciences + boys and girls club (500 hours total)
Leadership:
Youth basketball coach
Research:
none

Low cGPA and lowish MCAT so I don't really know how to tailor my school list

Hi all! I figure ill join this thread. Reapplicant. 1+ year postbac with ~3.9 gpa
25 y/o
Extensive Research background, some clinical volunteering, significant non-clinical volunteering

How many schools did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, long long time lurker here,

First, I want to thank everyone in this community. Seeing all the support has been truly inspiring and informational for me over my journey to where I currently am. Did not think about being a physician until after college graduation and had some major transformative experiences which I talk about extensively in app.

MCAT: 509 (first try) retake 514

JHU
Emory
UC C. Drew
U of Miami
Pitt
Duke
Northwestern - waived secondary
U of Colorado
Ohio St
Michigan
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
University of South Florida
Gtown
GWU
UMD
Meharry
Morehouse
NYMC
WVU
VCU
Penn State
Wake Forest
EVMS
tufts

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I just received my MCAT score back today and started putting together a school list. I was hoping I could get some help/advice!

GPA: 3.99 cumulative, 4.00 science
MCAT: 518. Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed since my FL average was 520. 125 CARS on test day really screwed me over
State of Residence: FL
University: Medium sized state school
Race/Ethnicity: Afro-Carribean
Clinical Experience:
~70 hours volunteering at a local hospital
~300 hours Clinical Research (also had some patient exposure)
Research:
~2500 hours working in a relatively well-known lab via an internship. I will continue working here during my gap year (hopefully funded by a grant that I applied to). I have several poster presentations and am expecting 3 publications to be finalized during my gap year (all currently in preparation).
~1000 hours working in a lab at my university. Similarly, I will continue to work here during my gap year. I have several poster presentations from this lab (both local & national conferences) and am expecting a publication during my gap year
Shadowing: 110 hours (40 projected). I've shadowed a Cardiologist, urologist, general surgeon, and neurosurgeon
Non-clinical volunteering: ~70 hours (50 projected) at local Soup Kitchen
Leadership: IDK if this actually counts as leadership, but I was selected as one of 2 undergraduate students from my university to attend a state-wide (student-led) conference to discuss advancements in undergraduate research for our respective universities.
Other ECs: Intramural basketball, I also love to go fishing
Honors and Awards: Deans list every semester

I would really appreciate any feedback on my list and am open to any suggestions if you think I'm competitive for any schools not on this list.

University of Florida
University of Miami
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
University of Chicago (Pritzker)
Johns Hopkins
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Vermont School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
VCU School of Medicine
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
UCLA
Duke
Brown
Emory
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill

Thanks!

@Goro @Faha

Last edited:
x-posted from 2018-2019

First, I want to thank everyone in this community...

I'd say to keep EVMS, they're very OOS friendly, and unless I missed it while reading your list, definitely add Howard!

Hey everyone, I just received my MCAT score back today and started putting together a school list. I was hoping I could get some help/advice!

BRUH omg, you're competitive anywhere - apply to literally any school you want! That GPA and research experience is wild. I'd go for any of the top 20's if I were you, definitely would add NYU since you have a shot at that free tuition. I think UNC doesn't take many people OOS, but man, with stats like that, who knows??

Good luck!!

MCAT: 518. Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed since my FL average was 520. 125 CARS on test day really screwed me over
Clinical Experience:
Research:
~2500 hours working in a relatively well-known lab via an internship. I will continue working here during my gap year (hopefully funded by a grant that I applied to). I have several poster presentations and am expecting 3 publications to be finalized during my gap year (all currently in preparation).
~1000 hours working in a lab at my university. Similarly, I will continue to work here during my gap year. I have several poster presentations from this lab (both local & national conferences) and am expecting a publication during my gap year
Shadowing: 110 hours (40 projected). I've shadowed a Cardiologist, urologist, general surgeon, and neurosurgeon
Leadership: IDK if this actually counts as leadership, but I was selected as one of 2 undergraduate students from my university to attend a state-wide (student-led) conference to discuss advancements in undergraduate research for our respective universities.

I would really appreciate any feedback on my list and am open to any suggestions if you think I'm competitive for any schools not on this list.

University of Florida
University of Miami
Johns Hopkins
VCU School of Medicine
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
UCLA
Duke
Brown
Emory

Thanks!

@Goro @Faha
More volunteer imo

Reactions: 2 users
BRUH omg, you're competitive anywhere - apply to literally any school you want! That GPA and research experience is wild. I'd go for any of the top 20's if I were you, definitely would add NYU since you have a shot at that free tuition. I think UNC doesn't take many people OOS, but man, with stats like that, who knows??

Good luck!!
Thank you!

Clinical Experience:
Research:

University of Florida
University of Miami
Johns Hopkins
VCU School of Medicine
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
UCLA
Duke
Brown
Emory

Thanks!

@Goro @Faha

I think your school list is great, but I would advise you to add more Top20s. Also, I personally think you should not apply to any school you cannot see yourself going to. You're very competitive, so you can be selective about the schools you apply to. Also, not sure you have to explicitly state the dean's list; I think that will be on your transcript. Just saying that in case you need an extra space on your AMCAS app.

x-posted from 2018-2019

First, I want to thank everyone in this community. Seeing all the support has been truly inspiring and informational for me over my 3-year journey to where I currently am. Did not think about being a physician until after college graduation and had some major transformative experiences which I talk about extensively in app.

I am interested in research, particularly in underserved groups, not limited to racially underserved groups. Also interested in lots of engineering applications to medicine. Lastly, I want to explore the connection between the physical environment (access to green spaces, pollution) has on health outcomes.

25-year-old AA male from Maryland
My Stats:
GPA: 2.75 undergraduate GPA in physical science major at a T-10 public University
DIY Post-bacc GPA 46 credits @ 3.8 at different T-15 public University
Current sGPA: 3.1
Current overall GPA: 2.95

First job: Environmental Analyst for government
Second job: Research rare disease/genetics research at a government institution for the past 2 years
Poster/pubs: 3 posters, 1 middle author pub, maybe a 1st author pub...still need a lot of work on this. A couple of oral presentation at institution-wide research events.
Extra Experience: Scribe for 6 months, TA for upper-level bio course
Division 1 Intercollegiate athlete quit after injuries and burn out
2000+ hours of interesting ECs some medically related some completely not.

Any schools with a history of throwing money at people like me? I don't come from much and would love a break in my medical school education.

How does this list look? I am thinking about taking NYMC and EVMS off.

JHU
Emory
UC C. Drew
U of Miami
Pitt
Duke
U of Colorado
Ohio St
Michigan
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Gtown
GWU
UMD
Meharry
Morehouse
NYMC
WVU
VCU
Penn State
Wake Forest
EVMS
tufts

I'm totally not an expert at this, but JHU and Emory may be reaches. I think you have a potential shot at Emory, but JHU, maybe not. Are you applying there because you are from MD? Otherwise, congrats on the retake and getting your GPA. You definitely are resilient and I am sure that will be looked upon favorably.

Hello everyone,
Career Changer / Nontrad

NA / White (with tribal affiliation card) despite family ties to our tribal reservation, I look white so I don't even know if I'll get URM consideration

3.3 cGPA, 3.67 sGPA (includes a long 4.0 postbacc where I first took all science prerequisites)

Work:
Clinical Vol:
Medical Assistant to underserved + basic hospital volunteering (500 hours total)
Nonclinical Vol:
Leadership:
Youth basketball coach
Research:
none

I think the thing that may hurt you at the tippy top schools is the lack of research. I think you should take that into consideration when you make your list. Also, what is your state of residence?

25 y/o

Does your cGPA and sGPA include your postbac?

Just got my MCAT score back yesterday and would appreciate any advice on my school list. I have a pretty large list at over 30, and i'm trying to get it down to around 20, 25 at max, cause I don't have enough money for 30+ schools. Any advice on what school I should keep or take away is very appreciated.

Stats: 3.63 cGPA 3.64sGPA for AMCAS and 3.72sGPA for AACOMAS (big upward trend for cGPA. 2.76 1st semester, 3.8 next 2 years)
MCAT: 511 (127/125/129/130)
Resident: Georgia
URM: Yes, Black
Research: Not really. Almost 100 hours from 1 semester
EC's: 120 hours volunteering at a hospital, around 50 hours doing mentorship at my church's youth group, around 150 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter, around 20 hours doing various volunteer events for a club i'm in
Shadowing: 24 hours with a pediatrician. 24 hours with a hospitalist. I didn't shadow a DO or get a letter, but I was able to speak to him about his profession, so hopefully that'll help the "any experience with a DO" question
LOR's: 1 from each of my biology professors, 1 from my ochem professor, 1 from my anthropology prof, and 1 from the pediatrician I shadowed. No DO letters, just MD's
Hobbies: Musical instrument, clarinet. Been doing it since i was young so let's say 1000 hours
School List
Medical College of Georgia
Mercer University
Morehouse School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Drexel
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Tufts
Jefferson
Tulane
Virginia Commonwealth
Vermont
Albany
Loyola
Georgetown
Howard
Saint Louise
Medical College of Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Geisinger Commonwealth
Toledo
University of Colorado
Wayne State University
Indiana
PCOM
PCOM-GA
Nova Southeastern
Marian University
A.T Still University
Rocky Vista University
Campbell School of Osteopathic Medicine
Des Moins COM
Lincoln Memorial
Lake Erie COM
Alabama COM
Kansas City University COM

My MCAT ended up being pretty good, so I know I should probably take away some DO school. Thanks again for any advice.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Career Changer / Nontrad

Work:
Clinical Vol:
Nonclinical Vol:
Leadership:
Youth basketball coach
Research:
none

To answer your question from another thread: I marked both White and Native American for race. This is what I always mark when I’m able to choose multiple races; if I’m only able to choose 1, I mark Native American. For AMCAS, I would recommend marking both.

As for your school list, your lack of research and direct experiences with AIAN communities will be limiting factors for T20 schools IMO. I would recommend applying to some AIAN friendly schools such as Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I'm totally not an expert at this, but JHU and Emory may be reaches. I think you have a potential shot at Emory, but JHU, maybe not. Are you applying there because you are from MD? Otherwise, congrats on the retake and getting your GPA. You definitely are resilient and I am sure that will be looked upon favorably.
Thank you for the feedback. And yeah I totally realize Northwestern, Duke, Emory, JHU are <1% for me. Just figured I'd shoot my shot considering they all have specific strengths I'm very interested in.

I think the thing that may hurt you at the tippy top schools is the lack of research. I think you should take that into consideration when you make your list. Also, what is your state of residence?

I'm going for mid/lower tier MD's + a lot of DO's

(southern) California Resident

To answer your question from another thread: I marked both White and Native American for race. This is what I always mark when I’m able to choose multiple races; if I’m only able to choose 1, I mark Native American. For AMCAS, I would recommend marking both.

As for your school list, your lack of research and direct experiences with AIAN communities will be limiting factors for T20 schools IMO. I would recommend applying to some AIAN friendly schools such as Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Yeah I marked both white / NA
Hoping my underserved clinical experience makes up for the lack of NA volunteering.. To be fair, it would have been around 3 hours round trip if I tried to volunteer at my state's nearest reservation.

Thanks for the input, I'm not shooting for top 20's, I just want one acceptance

Hey y'all!

I would appreciate some help finishing my school list.

Undergrad: University of Miami
Florida Resident
URM: Black female, Afro-Caribbean
Majors: Neuroscience, Religious Studies (minors in Spanish and Chemistry)
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: took it twice, went down in score :(

MCAT 1: 511
C/P: 124
CARS: 128
B/B: 127
P/S: 132

MCAT 2: 509
C/P: 127
CARS: 127
B/B: 128
P/S: 127 *cries*

Research:
-mitochondrial genetics in a neuro lab (~260 hours)
-effects of in utero exposure to drugs on development of children (~350 hours)
both short-term, less than a year each, no publications

Clinical:
~240 hours volunteering at children's hospital (4 years)
~64 hours of shadowing (internal medicine, pediatrics)
~1600 hours of ER scribing

Leadership/Volunteering:
~1750 hours, Americorps (in literacy, not medical)
~500 hours, Mentor/President of Big Brothers Big Sisters, and various leadership positions before president (4 years)
~150 hours, Student Government (2 years)
~130 hours, Public Relations/Design for a community service org (2 years)
~400 hours, Photo Editor and Writer of a science magazine (3 years)
~130 hours, Site Leader for alternative breaks community service trips (2 years)
~210 hours, Treasurer of international community service trip organization (2 years)
~400 hours, Vice President of a photography club (3 years)

Honors: Dean's list most semesters, several honor societies, general honors, scholar in a STEM/humanities program

Work: I worked 10-20 hours a week all throughout undergrad.

Other:
I'm a photographer, graphic designer, and artist. I do work on commission, and free/volunteer work for 'good causes.'
LORs should be strong: orgo professor, bio professor, AmeriCorps director, a physician, and a religious studies professor with whom I took 3 classes on the relationships between religion and science/medicine/ethics

I'm really stuck on my school list. So far I have all the Florida schools, Howard, and New York Medical College (10 schools). I don't know how many reach or undershoot schools I should apply to. I get 20 schools with FAP, and I don't want to apply to more than that. Help please!

Hello everyone,
Career Changer / Nontrad

Work:
Clinical Vol:
Nonclinical Vol:
Leadership:
Youth basketball coach
Research:
none

Any service to the NA community?

Thank you for the feedback. And yeah I totally realize Northwestern, Duke, Emory, JHU are <1% for me. Just figured I'd shoot my shot considering they all have specific strengths I'm very interested in.

From what I have seen from Duke and Northwestern, I think they are very interested in recruiting Black males. But that's just a personal anecdote of n=3. Wish you the best at all the schools though :)

x-posted from 2018-2019

First, I want to thank everyone in this community. Seeing all the support has been truly inspiring and informational for me over my 3-year journey to where I currently am. Did not think about being a physician until after college graduation and had some major transformative experiences which I talk about extensively in app.

I am interested in research, particularly in underserved groups, not limited to racially underserved groups. Also interested in lots of engineering applications to medicine. Lastly, I want to explore the connection between the physical environment (access to green spaces, pollution) has on health outcomes.

25-year-old AA male from Maryland
My Stats:
GPA: 2.75 undergraduate GPA in physical science major at a T-10 public University
DIY Post-bacc GPA 46 credits @ 3.8 at different T-15 public University
Current sGPA: 3.1
Current overall GPA: 2.95

First job: Environmental Analyst for government
Second job: Research rare disease/genetics research at a government institution for the past 2 years
Poster/pubs: 3 posters, 1 middle author pub, maybe a 1st author pub...still need a lot of work on this. A couple of oral presentation at institution-wide research events.
Extra Experience: Scribe for 6 months, TA for upper-level bio course
Division 1 Intercollegiate athlete quit after injuries and burn out
2000+ hours of interesting ECs some medically related some completely not.

Any schools with a history of throwing money at people like me? I don't come from much and would love a break in my medical school education.

How does this list look? I am thinking about taking NYMC and EVMS off.

JHU
Emory
UC C. Drew
U of Miami
Pitt
Duke
U of Colorado
Ohio St
Michigan
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Gtown
GWU
UMD
Meharry
Morehouse
NYMC
WVU
VCU
Penn State
Wake Forest
EVMS
tufts
Hey our stats are super similar!! My list is very similar except I didn't include tufts, gtown, and VCU

yes it does!

My only advice to edit, edit, and re-edit every single part of your application. I believe that writing a strong app is just as important as the activities you do. GPA and MCAT are probably still more important though lol. But I had a less than stellar GPA for MD/PhD, and was still successful. People commented on how well written my app was a lot, so I think that is what helped me.

Hey y'all!! I'm super impressed with everyone who has already posted, it's making me embarrassed to post my own stats lol.

cGPA: 2.81
sGPA: 2.85
- my cumulative is a result of a full year of poor grades back in 2012-2013. I've earned a 4.00 in the last ~60 credits I've taken and >3.5 for everything else in between
SMP GPA: 4.00 (will graduate at the top of my class if everything goes well for the rest of the semester)
MCAT: 506, but will be retaking on June 15th
URM: black female - first generation immigrant
Clinical Experience/Paid: Emergency room scribe for two years (>2500 hours)
Clinical Experience/Volunteer: Triage volunteer at free health clinic for underserved population (>60 hours)
Non-Clinical Volunteer: Habitat for Humanity in NOLA (48 hours), various service projects (~40 hours)
Shadowing: 12 hours with a plastic surgeon, currently racking up more hours at the hospital affiliated with my SMP, so I hope to have over 50 by the time I apply
Research: one year of basic science research - no publications, but three first-author poster presentations. Won 3rd place for poster at NSF conference.
Leadership: Team captain of my D1 athletic team for 1 year, voted Treasurer of my school's chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Other: Will be a peer educator (basically a TA) for medical students in gross anatomy and physiology this summer and next semester at a top 50, MD-granting university. Was also a student athlete for four years at the D1 level and placed 10th nationally with my teammates in my final year.

I am so happy to finally be applying again (I applied once before in the 2016-2017 cycle). I've done so much work to improve upon my application and hopefully it pays off! Good luck guys!
I think you should def apply to Tulane. But apply as early as possible and get everything on the first day. Many people who recieved their interviews in August didnt interview until Feb/March

cGPA: Undergraduate - 3.08
Post-bacc - 3.81
sGPA: Undergraduate - 2.74
Post-Bacc - 3.79
Mcat: TBD, taking August 2nd
URM: AA female, Non-Trad
State of Residence: OK
Clinical Experience
Volunteer: ~480 hours at a free clinic during undergrad (first as a volunteer, then was an intern during my senior year), ~250 hours (and counting) at an HIV clinic that also has a Syringe Exchange Program that I volunteer with from time to time
Shadowing
Multiple specialties at a Trauma 1 Center: 150 hours
Pediatrics: 50 hours
Interventional Cardiology (MD): 150 hours
Interventional Cardiology (DO): 20 hrs
Non-Clinical Volunteering
Started a reading program at an elementary school in a low-performing district to help improve literacy for students prior to 3rd grade ~300 hours (and counting)
Boys & Girls Club (undergrad)-550 hours
Research
Assistant in a biology lab in undergrad, working with mosquitos as disease vectors ~350 hours
Vascular Clinical Research Assistant/Research Coordinator ~ 2400 hours (and counting)
Literally my baby...working on a HUGE ass study for our entire hospital system and looking forward to multiple poster presentations and major journal publications with first authorship as a result
Leadership
National Panhellenic Council Vice President (undergrad) ~300 hours
Alpha Kappa Alpha (my undergraduate chapter) Treasurer/Finance Committee Chair, Health Promotion Committee Chair ~ 240 hours
Health Peer Leader (undergrad)~ 75 hours
Non-Clinical Work
Sales Associate at Marshalls (all 4 years of undergrad) ~ 1800 hours
Server (worked during post-bacc and is still my weekend job) ~ 2300 hours
Other ECs
DONA Int'l trained Birth Doula~ 20 hours (and counting)
Hobbies: Travel & Crossfit...have competed in two competitions so far, planning to add at least 2 more to that by the end of the year

Praying my MCAT is a wildcard although I'm pretty confident in the rest of my app (besides my horrifying undergrad gpas)...I've been stalking SDN for like forever lol. Can't believe the time is here. Blessings to all applying!

Reactions: 5 users
I think you should def apply to Tulane. But apply as early as possible and get everything on the first day. Many people who recieved their interviews in August didnt interview until Feb/March

Thanks for the advice! I’m actually pre-writing my secondary for Tulane right now because I heard that they really like early applicants. I’m still waiting for my app to be verified, but hopefully that happens sometime next week.

• Love
Thanks for the advice! I’m actually pre-writing my secondary for Tulane right now because I heard that they really like early applicants. I’m still waiting for my app to be verified, but hopefully that happens sometime next week.
Yas! DM me on your updates :)

My only advice to edit, edit, and re-edit every single part of your application. I believe that writing a strong app is just as important as the activities you do. GPA and MCAT are probably still more important though lol. But I had a less than stellar GPA for MD/PhD, and was still successful. People commented on how well written my app was a lot, so I think that is what helped me.
Thats reassuring, thank you!! I'll be editing as much as I can until I hit burnout lmao

Has anyone else received any notifications from schools about the Med-Mar registry? I got a letter from Northwestern and an email from UChicago both willing to waive my secondary app fees based on my MCAT and URM status. I'm wondering if people know of any other schools that usually offer this? I don't qualify for FAP but it would help A LOT not to have to pay for some of the secondaries because as it is, I can only afford to apply to ~15 schools.

Has anyone else received any notifications from schools about the Med-Mar registry? I got a letter from Northwestern and an email from UChicago both willing to waive my secondary app fees based on my MCAT and URM status. I'm wondering if people know of any other schools that usually offer this? I don't qualify for FAP but it would help A LOT not to have to pay for some of the secondaries because as it is, I can only afford to apply to ~15 schools.

When I applied, I got the same response. But...I also had FAP lol.

I also got waivers from UChicago and Northwestern. I haven’t received waivers from anywhere else. I tried to reach out to individual schools about getting a waiver without FAP but haven’t had much luck, though this may be because I’m an MSTP applicant.

When finalizing our school list, is it okay to assume a 4-6 point boost for our overall MCAT score if we're URM to compare against the median MCAT scores on MSAR? I read a post about this over the weekend and looking at AAMC data, say for Hispanics, the average matriculant MCAT score is 506 versus 511 for Whites and 513 for Asians. The people discussing on the post said it would be safe to do so but I wanted to see if you guys had any input.

For reference, the AAMC MCAT table I'm referring to can be found here.

When finalizing our school list, is it okay to assume a 4-6 point boost for our overall MCAT score if we're URM to compare against the median MCAT scores on MSAR? I read a post about this over the weekend and looking at AAMC data, say for Hispanics, the average matriculant MCAT score is 506 versus 511 for Whites and 513 for Asians. The people discussing on the post said it would be safe to do so but I wanted to see if you guys had any input.

Definitely not. At some schools your scores will be used against you. The best thing to go off of, is anything above a 500 is acceptable. 499 is alright if you’ve taken the mcat two times or less

Hey, just hoping for the best. Applying to 27 MD schools. Any recommendations to further work on my application in my year? Volunteering, and FT student (GPA fixing) and ortho scribing are my only plans at this point.
  1. cGPA: 3.43 and sGPA: 3.3. Doing a second science bachelor FT 1 semesters, PT the next to raise GPA. AMCAS Breakdown Freshman: 3.88 Sophomore 2.79 Junior: 3.15 Senior: 3.6 Post Bacc: 3.8 (Decline/death of major/primary caretaker and me assisting with their care is associated with the massive dip in GPA - Overcoming adversity essay)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 513 (128/127/127/131)
  3. State of residence: Florida
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: African American Male
  5. Nontraditional - Double Bachelor's, so yes.
  6. Clinical experience - Work - Full time ED scribe for 2 years (Sophomore - Junior year) Outpatient orthopedic Scribe - Just started, also Full time. Volunteer: 170 Hours in children's hospital playing with sick kids/holding cardiac babies. Also go to a camp for Ill kids that can't attend regular camps secondary to health - 25 hours
  7. Research experience - 300 hours of psychology research. No poster or publication.
  8. Shadowing experience: 20 hours Internal Medicine and 25 hours of Pulmonology inpatient.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering -180 hours. 2 Mission trips. One was Habitat for Humanity. 50 hours feeding the homeless
  10. Other extracurricular activities - Teaching: I have x3 years as a volunteer TA. 1 year part time as a substitute teacher for a year in high needs schools. (Mostly black/Hispanic students) I also got paid to tutor as well at those high needs schools Leadership: Resident Assistant part time for 1.5 years, Oteam part time (Show around new students/families to school) Big into fitness and outdoor activities for fun.
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important - Fee assistance program recipient, disadvantaged, EO1 immigrant parents (grew up in 2 seperate single parent homes) with 3 younger siblings. I've worked 2 jobs every year since after my freshman year was completed. I pay my own bills and help family as much as I can. First generation college student
  12. Aspirations in Medicine - Eventually looking to travel outside of practice. I like teaching and have been an active tutor for years. Wouldn't be opposed to academic medicine. Also, looking to move into hospital admin. long term.

Write a great application and you should do well :) I agree with you about what you should work on.

I'm not sure if I would follow this. Contrary to popular belief, I know several URMs who did not get in because of their MCAT scores. But....I also think it depends on how low it is and how far form the 10th percentile it is.

I'm not sure if I would follow this. Contrary to popular belief, I know several URMs who did not get in because of their MCAT scores. But....I also think it depends on how low it is and how far form the 10th percentile it is.
Thanks for the info! What if our MCAT is decent, say 513ish. With the URM 4-6 point boost can we now consider T20's?