Faha

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Hi All!

First-time applicant. Ready to submit on 30MAY19. Looking for any and all feedback on my school list if you have a minute. :)
@Faha @Goro @gyngyn

AA/Mexican Female, 26
GPA (cGPA/sGPA): 3.32/ 3.2 (transferred universities under extenuating circumstances junior year, which impacted my academic performance)
Major: Biology
MCAT: 500 first attempt/ 510 second attempt
Nontraditional: Yes
Research: 1.5 years preclinical (during undergrad) with 1 poster / 4 years clinical (current position)
Healthcare Experience: I've worked full time in clinical research for 4 years/ I monitor regulatory compliance, data integrity and patient safety for various pharmaceutical companies/ have worked on indications within neurology, infectious disease, gastroenterology, virology and immunology
Clinical Hours/Non-clinical Hours: ~9000 clinical hours paid/ 800 pre-clinical hours paid/ 70 clinical hours volunteered at a VA/ 150 non-clinical hours volunteered teaching ESL and volunteering at a homeless shelter
leadership: started a student group for women of color in STEM
Additional facts: DIII track and field for one year
Shadowing hours: 50 (oncology, neurology, occupational medicine)
Aspirations in Medicine: would like to be involved in clinical research as a principal investigator later in my career
Med School Qualities: urban setting preferred, looking to stay away from rural/ strong support for URM students/ places that offer scholarships

School list

university of minnesota (state school)
university of wisconsin
medical college of wisconsin
university of colorado
LSU
howard
morehouse
meharry
tulane
tufts
drexel
temple
rosalind franklin
albany
georgetown
george washington
albert einstein
loyola
emory
miami
LSU accepts very few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Eastern Virginia
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Jefferson

May 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Everyone! Excited about this cycle, glad to see a URM thread and excited to go through this process with everyone!

cGPA: 3.47
sGPA: 3.15
Mcat: Taking June 28th
URM: AA female
Clinical Experience
Volunteer: 300 hours Hospital, 100 hours medical mission trip abroad
Paid: thousands of hours as a consenting professional
Shadowing
None yet
Non-Clinical Volunteering
60-80 hrs: Taught ESL to new immigrants
~ 120 hours: Big Sister at BBBS
~250 hours: Worked to help get low-income, minority, inner-city students into college
Research
~5,000 hours
- 1 publication
- 3 poster presentations, one at ABRCMS
- Research abroad as well
- I currently do research at one of the top cancer hospitals
- NIH research
Leadership
- President of Student Government (1 year)
- Vice President of Student Government (2 years)
- Founder/President of a chapter of community-service based organization (we went abroad) (3 years)
- Founder/President of a chapter of an organization that helps minority students apply for med school (3 years)
- School Spirit Leader (2 years)
Non-Clinical Work
720 hrs - Student Fundraiser
~ 1500 hours doing research in undergrad

Hobbies:
I have played an orchestral instrument since 4th grade. I've performed at 2 really famous locations, have been in numerous orchestras, and have done a music/medicine program
- Intermediate Spanish
- I've started writing again recently. It really helps me cope with a lot of things, I feel like I want to publish a few of the things I've written, but I'm not sure if it is smart to have it associated with my name because they're a little personal

Misc:
I have a strong upward trend, taking 52 credits my final year of college and earning all A's/A-'s and one B+. I failed organic chemistry and did badly one semester because a parent developed cancer. I feel like my personal statement is strong, it is about minority health

Aspirations in Medicine
I want to work with underserved/underrepresented in medicine and pursue some clinical research on improving minority health. I am looking for schools that provide both research and clinical experience in the community. (I kept this part verbatim from the template of a previous poster because I am interested in the same thing)

Reactions: UnconfidentPremed
Jun 15, 2018
Hola ya'll!

M0 here, I'm procrastinating, so I would love to read and give feedback on some PSs for URM/low-SES chicos and chicas. Feel free to PM me your PS in the form of a google doc that allows people to make edits, and doesn't make people sign in!

Let me know if ya'll have any questions, gracias!

Beyonce2.0

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
To previous applicants, would you all recommend having multiple people look at our work/activities descriptions? I had my pre-med advisor look at mine and he said they're good to go, but I'm wondering if more eyes are necessary.

PursuingHappy

5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2013
Status
MD/PhD Student
I only had one person look at it and I was fine. Also, I am a very, very thorough writer so I think it was just good going in.
To previous applicants, would you all recommend having multiple people look at our work/activities descriptions? I had my pre-med advisor look at mine and he said they're good to go, but I'm wondering if more eyes are necessary.

Reactions: Beyonce2.0

Wahkoon

MD 2023
Gold Donor
Mar 6, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I only had 1 person look over my application (except for PS), which I think is perfectly fine.

For work/activities descriptions, I would recommend reading through the advice threads to get an idea of what cliches to avoid (ie, beginning every description with "As a..."). From there I would have a friend read through and really focus on content. Last, I would use Grammarly to proofread for typos and syntax, then have a voice-to-text read your draft aloud to you (very useful for discovering errors and clunky language). This is the process I used for all my secondaries as well.

Beyonce2.0

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I only had 1 person look over my application (except for PS), which I think is perfectly fine.

For work/activities descriptions, I would recommend reading through the advice threads to get an idea of what cliches to avoid (ie, beginning every description with "As a..."). From there I would have a friend read through and really focus on content. Last, I would use Grammarly to proofread for typos and syntax, then have a voice-to-text read your draft aloud to you (very useful for discovering errors and clunky language). This is the process I used for all my secondaries as well.
For secondaries, did you split the editing of those up between people? I feel like it’s a pretty hefty burden to put on one person otherwise. I was planning on having a couple people read through one version of each of my major essays (diversity, challenge, etc.) and then split up the school-specific ones among some of my friends.

Wahkoon

MD 2023
Gold Donor
Mar 6, 2018
Status
For secondaries, did you split the editing of those up between people? I feel like it’s a pretty hefty burden to put on one person otherwise. I was planning on having a couple people read through one version of each of my major essays (diversity, challenge, etc.) and then split up the school-specific ones among some of my friends.
I did not. I was lucky to be applying at the same time as a good friend of mine. We just had everything on google docs so we could go through and edit/comment. Your situation may be different so having multiple people could be better for you, but prewriting and spreading out the work is key.

Jarra Oh

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hola ya'll!

M0 here, I'm procrastinating, so I would love to read and give feedback on some PSs for URM/low-SES chicos and chicas. Feel free to PM me your PS in the form of a google doc that allows people to make edits, and doesn't make people sign in!

Can I PM you my PS somehow? It seems like your account is on private so I'm unsure of how to do that.

Likewise if anyone is available to take a look at my statement as I try to polish it up by next week it would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 25, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Chance Me/school list:

Hispanic Female, 26, non-traditional, not disadvantaged (disadvantaged from 0-10 and then not disadvantaged after that. Didn't claim it on my app)
cGPA : 3.39 (significant upward trend. Left my first program after 90 credits with a 2.4 gpa and recently completed my second bachelors with a 3.89)
MCAT: pending July, realistically 505-510 estimate
Degrees: Russian BA in 2018, Nursing BS 2019
State: SC

Clinical volunteering: Volunteer EMT 75 hours in an underserved/rural town

Nonclinical volunteering: DoD Sexual Assault Victim Advocate 200 hrs

Clinical Work: EMT 700 hrs, Medical Assistant 700 hrs, Registered Nurse 0 (not on my application but I'm starting my first job in the ER next month and will include in my secondaries)

Research: None, unless you count a poster presentation for the Alabama State Nursing Annual Conference

Leadership: Class President, Accelerated BSN (nursing), US Navy Sailor (E-5) supervised 16 sailors and managed $2 mil worth of inventory

Shadowing: 40 hrs with hospitalist, 50 hours with general surgeon,

Awards: Student Leadership Award, nursing scholarship award, honor medal, dean's list

School List:
Medical University of South Carolina
University of South Carolina
Kaiser Permanente
Wake Forest
Oregon Health Sciences U
Rush

Random: Okay so my school list is short because I won't have all of the prereqs complete in order to apply for most med schools (I will have all but 2 completed by the end of spring 2020) and these schools look at competencies rather than specific requirements. I had extensive training in the Navy in physics and chem, but nothing to show for it on a transcript. Probably a stupid decision to apply this cycle, but MUSC is pretty non-trad friendly and they're my number one pick. Pretty much every day I go back and forth between holding off this application to finish my prereqs and then cast a wider net or just committing with what I have now. I have a pretty good narrative about overcoming adversity and my military service but I don't know if it's enough.

Reactions: PinkHibiscus
Dec 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hola ya'll!

Hi! If theres any way I can PM you lmk :)

Oct 26, 2018
Hello! Can someone please take a look at my school list and let me know what you think! I'm planning to submit my primary next week because still waiting on a transcript. I appreciate it so much!

Albany Medical School
California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Drexel University College of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Kaiser
Keck
Temple
New York medical college
Rush university
Rutgers
Stanford
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
Brown
Tufts
Davis
Irvine
UCLA
UCR
UCSD
UCSF
Central florida
University of Illinois
University of Miami
North Carolina at chapel hill
Rochester
Here are my stats:
  1. cGPA: 3.78
  2. sGPA: Maybe around a 3.7?
  3. MCAT: 513: 127/127/130/129
  4. URM - Mexican but don't speak Spanish
  5. Extracurriculars: a. ~1000 hours of shadowing emergency neurologists, helping them enroll patients into clinical trials. Also performed health education outreach to various local communities. Mostly to hispanic populations. Am the head coordinator for this program and recruit, train all new members, keep program running, set up meetings with guest speakers, etc. This is a tripartite program with three difference aspects. One provides me with physician shadowing on rounds. Another provides clinical experience and research. The last provides health outreach. The 1000 hours include all of my volunteering and all the time that took running the program.
b. Work a job as what my university calls PLFs. It's similar to a tutor where I work 6-8 hours a week hosting collaborative sessions with university students who are taking human physiology. I create worksheets with tons of practice questions, cover material from the class, facilitate group work, etc. The job is through a university program (that I'm also in) that is made to give resources to underrepresented students at the school. I also mentor a lot of these students in and out of session and help them out with premed things. Did this for 1 year and ongoing. Made a huge impact in the lives of a lot of my students, I think.
c. Am a dancer that's part of a university volunteering organization teaching dance to middle schoolers. Teach dance on and off whenever i can, usually at schools. Performed on America's Got Talent last year. Also performed at our school's competitive showcase and choreographed that performance. Try to do as much as I can with dance at the university choreographing for teams.
d. Have about 2 years of research experience. I've worked in one lab for one year and had to switch out to another lab this year. Currently doing research credit contract. Will most likely not be published. But I am apart of a biomedical research minor where I took several classes involving experimental design/critical thinking in the sciences. Have one poster and award for great presentation.
e. The rest involve one-time programs relating to leadership, research, etc.
e. Pretty decent letters of rec
f. Personal statement really reflects on dance, my job, and my clinical program
6) WARS score: 84
Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I really need your help because i'm so clueless.
Also Please let me know if I can shoot higher! I tend to underestimate myself.

I live in southern California (Inland Empire)

Feb 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello! I would appreciate any feedback and help!
Should I add out of states schools as well or would my chances be ok with just Texas? I’d consider going out of Texas for a top school but I highly doubt that is in reach because of my MCAT. Would I have a shot at any top program and if so which ones should I go for?

Hispanic male, 1st generation college student, Non-traditional, Texas Resident.
Based on TMDSAS. Might be slightly higher for AMCAS since my school does +/-
GPA: 3.69
sGPA: 3.8
Degree: Biotechnology
MCAT: 505 126/125/127/127

Non-clinical volunteering: I’ve run a photo & video company for quinceneras/weddings for 5 years to help support myself and my family. ~20 hours every week for the past 5 years.

I’ve been an assistant coach for 5 years after I graduated HS for a club soccer team based in a community with refugee kids. (Our team has a unique story, a sports company made a short commercial on us). ~750 hours

Camp counselor at a camp for kids with chronic kidney disease for two summers. It is a week long camp so I’ve done ~275 hours there.

Research: Not sure if this even counts as research since TMDSAS said to list any class projects so I listed my graduating Capstone experience where we change run tests using biofermentors to grow a gene of interest involved in pesticide degradation. 6 week course. In a lab 4 days of the week. ~90 hours.

Leadership: I was an officer (Public Relations Director) for one of the largest premed organizations at my university (~200 registered members). I was elected as the president for this past year. I’ve been with this organization for 3 years in total. 1 as a member, 1 as a second tier officer, 1 as president.

Shadowing: Shadowed an attending physician for 80 hours. He was a nephrologist and I got to see him at the hospital, outpatient clinics, and ICU at MD Anderson's Cancer Center. He later invited me to be a camp counselor at a camp he runs for kids with chronic kidney disease.

I am applying to all Texas MD and DO schools:
Baylor COM
Texas A&M
Texas Tech SOM
Texas Tech Paul F Foster SOM
TCOM
UT Dell
McGovern
UTMB
UT San Antonio
UTRGV
UT Southwestern
University of incarnate word
Sam Houston (When it officially opens later in the cycle)
University of Houston (When it officially opens later in the cycle)

Reactions: steve-o-matic

sundayko

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Dec 30, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
This is my first application cycle. Was planning to apply last cycle, but decided not to rush things and instead took time to strengthen my app (retook MCAT, more research, strengthening statements, more advising, etc...). I'm taking the plunge and applying MD/PhD-only despite my low GPA and average MCAT score. I was deliberating applying MD-only at a few schools and entering the MD/PhD program from the MD program, but I do not want to rely on that path. MD/PhD is really, really want I want to do. I'm going to give this cycle my best shot.

If anyone has suggestions of schools to apply to or any other general insight, I'd really appreciate that.

cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.24 (Upward trend)
MCAT: 505, 517
URM: African-American Female (First Generation American)
Double Major: Neuroscience & Behavioral Biology, English & Creative Writing
School: T25

Clinical Experience/Volunteer:
-1200 Hours, volunteering at an endocrinology clinic across 8 summers (starting in middle school & continuing through college)
-24 Hours, volunteering at Cancer Institute

Non-Clinical Volunteer:
-40 Hours, variety of community projects
-30 Hours, volunteering for pharmacy association

Shadowing:
-40 Hours, internal medicine
-20 Hours, Undiagnosed Diseases Program Rounds
-2 Hours (lol), ICU rounds

Research: All research is within the same field and topic.
- 10-Week Summer Research Award (About 400 Hours, No pubs, oral/powerpoint presentation @ symposium on alcohol research).
- NIH postbac research training award (About 4200 Hours so far, projected ~6000 hours). Poster presentation, no pubs. Will have been here for 2 years in September 2019, just offered a 3rd year extension to continue doing research throughout application cycle.

Leadership:
- Writing Center Tutor (258 Hours)
- iGEM Secretary/Graphic Designer, self-taught coding and designed a website to represent team during genetic engineering competition (200 Hours)

Other:
- Freelance Writing: published a comedic article giving an overview of historical medical treatments
- Almost finished with first creative novel (composite novel comprised of five short stories), preparing to self-publish
- This spring, launched a personal blog that integrates my creative writing, scientific, and philosophical interests as I reflect on what I have learned about physics, chemistry, neuroscience, and biology, and how those concepts have shaped my views of the world.

Letters of Rec: All very strong letters.
-Letter from NIH PI/Research Mentor
-Summer Program PI/Research Mentor
-iGEM Mentor (Biochemistry Professor at T25 Medical School)
-Administrator of the clinic I volunteered at 1200+ Hours

OP
OchemOficionado

OchemOficionado

2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2016
Status
@Goro and @Faha Your feedback on the above stats/school lists would be greatly appreciated if you two have the time :)

Faha

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Hello! I would appreciate any feedback and help!
Should I add out of states schools as well or would my chances be ok with just Texas? I’d consider going out of Texas for a top school but I highly doubt that is in reach because of my MCAT. Would I have a shot at any top program and if so which ones should I go for?

Hispanic male, 1st generation college student, Non-traditional, Texas Resident.
Based on TMDSAS. Might be slightly higher for AMCAS since my school does +/-
GPA: 3.69
sGPA: 3.8
Degree: Biotechnology
MCAT: 505 126/125/127/127

Non-clinical volunteering: I’ve run a photo & video company for quinceneras/weddings for 5 years to help support myself and my family. ~20 hours every week for the past 5 years.

I’ve been an assistant coach for 5 years after I graduated HS for a club soccer team based in a community with refugee kids. (Our team has a unique story, a sports company made a short commercial on us). ~750 hours

Camp counselor at a camp for kids with chronic kidney disease for two summers. It is a week long camp so I’ve done ~275 hours there.

Research: Not sure if this even counts as research since TMDSAS said to list any class projects so I listed my graduating Capstone experience where we change run tests using biofermentors to grow a gene of interest involved in pesticide degradation. 6 week course. In a lab 4 days of the week. ~90 hours.

Leadership: I was an officer (Public Relations Director) for one of the largest premed organizations at my university (~200 registered members). I was elected as the president for this past year. I’ve been with this organization for 3 years in total. 1 as a member, 1 as a second tier officer, 1 as president.

Shadowing: Shadowed an attending physician for 80 hours. He was a nephrologist and I got to see him at the hospital, outpatient clinics, and ICU at MD Anderson's Cancer Center. He later invited me to be a camp counselor at a camp he runs for kids with chronic kidney disease.

I am applying to all Texas MD and DO schools:
Baylor COM
Texas A&M
Texas Tech SOM
Texas Tech Paul F Foster SOM
TCOM
UT Dell
McGovern
UTMB
UT San Antonio
UTRGV
UT Southwestern
University of incarnate word
Sam Houston (When it officially opens later in the cycle)
University of Houston (When it officially opens later in the cycle)
You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools.

Reactions: spookymulder26
May 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi y'all, best of luck to everyone this cycle!!!
any input/advice would be greatly appreciated! praying for some miracles

Ugrad gpa (without postbacc) 3.08; postbacc gpa 3.59, sgpa 3.42 (incl. postbacc), cgpa 3.27 (incl. postbacc)
MCAT score: first attempt 497, second attempt 503 :-/
California Resident
28-year-old Black Male

Undergraduate:
NESCAC school, degree Race and Cultural studies

Clinical Experience:
1800 hours as an ED scribe (accompanying physicians at bedside to obtain history, rather than receiving dictation)
450 hours working as front desk assistant in a medical office

Research Experience:
1440-present: Working in Clinical Research in Oncology
440 Hours: Research assistant OBGYN practice collecting data regarding procedure efficacy and fertility, also involved in patient education (the particular disease was prevalent among the AA community)
670 hours: Research Assistant in NYC,
1st author publication
Included on a presentation given at a national conference

Shadowing:
If scribing doesn’t count, probably 50 hours (Primary care, psychiatry and neurology) most shadowing came from my clinical experiences

Clinical Volunteering:
120 Hours Volunteering at a Psychiatric facility,

Non-Clinical Experience:
100 hours, working at a job placement program for disadvantaged single mothers.
TA for one semester during undergrad

Apr 10, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all! I figure ill join this thread. Reapplicant. 1+ year postbac with ~3.9 gpa
cGPA: ~3.2
sGPA: ~3.1
Mcat: 514
URM: AA female
25 y/o
Extensive Research background, some clinical volunteering, significant non-clinical volunteering
If anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it :)