2020-2021 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wondering when will next batch of offers arrive :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
To clarify, not saying you're likely to get in with a 505 (I would also recommend a retake if that is an option). Improbable =/= impossible though.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when the merit-based scholarship is released from Duke-NUS and how many of us will get them for each class? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the merit-based scholarship is released from Duke-NUS and how many of us will get them for each class? Thanks!
i know some merit-based scholarships have been offered already (in mid-late march). not sure if all or just some were released though, since i assume they're still sending out acceptances/assessing applicants?

numbers on how many scholarships offered are on the website (Student Financial Aid | Duke-NUS Medical School) but they don't specifically say how many per batch/class so i can't answer your question sorry!

Just following up with what vaneyyik said above. In general, merit-based and need-based scholarship applications will soon follow sometime after the acceptance, usually within a month. The results will be released sometime after you have filled in the applications, depending on the school's processing time, which might change based on school's admin. And yes, the school does not say how many people will receive merit-based scholarships each year, but there are a variety of scholarship awards available to students. So the chance is still legit.

Ahhh omg I just received an offer!!!! Check your emails guys, hoping for good news from you all too 😊

Reactions: 12 users
Ahhh omg I just received an offer!!!! Check your emails guys, hoping for good news from you all too 😊
Congrats :D Very well deserved!!

Are you definitely going to duke-nus or are you also debating between offers from other schools (if so, whats your thought process on this)?

*(Direct message me if you don't want to discuss this so openly on the forum - I'm also trying to figure out next steps).

Last edited:

Are you definitely going to duke-nus or are you also debating between offers from other schools (if so, whats your thought process on this)?

*(Direct message me if you don't want to discuss this so openly on the forum - I'm also trying to figure out next steps).

When was your applicant day?

Offer is out. I was from 27 Jan applicant day!

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations! I think I saw you from last year's application thread too :) Well-deserved my friend.
Yes i was. I was a reapplicant. Non-trad background. Thanks 🙏

• Care
Reactions: 2 users

Hello, thank you so much for the well wishes! All the best for your application outcome 🙂

I only applied to Duke-NUS so I can’t help you very much on that sorry 😅 do let me know if there’s anything else I can help with though and I’d be more than happy to share!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes i was. I was a reapplicant. Non-trad background. Thanks 🙏
Congratulations!!! I’m a reapplicant too waiting for an outcome! Do you mind sharing what about your portfolio might have sealed the deal this year? Just gauging my chances...

Congratulations!!! I’m a reapplicant too waiting for an outcome! Do you mind sharing what about your portfolio might have sealed the deal this year? Just gauging my chances...
I worked in a hospital, direct patient work. Published two commentaries about COVID-related experience in local journals (1st author, 3rd author). Main coordinator of my unit to convert physical program to online program in 2 weeks, when circuit breaker started. Promoted last year, and is now a supervisor. Quite a few changes here and there, I guess.
To be honest, I also don’t know what sealed the deal? Maybe performed better at interview? I hope :)

Is anybody else on the waitlist :) My gosh this wait will be the death of me.

Reactions: 1 users
Same! I got the email this morning. It seems it depends on whether people with offers drop out?
Yeah I was thinking the same too. I’m guessing the people who haven’t received any news yet are still in the running to get an offer.

All the best everyone!

Yeah I was thinking the same too. I’m guessing the people who haven’t received any news yet are still in the running to get an offer.

All the best everyone!
No worries, you're probably in the best position. I think anyone else has most likely been soft rejected. Best of luck and wishing you all the best!

it's nearing the end of april and still no news :( the wait is getting very tiring

Reactions: 5 users
I just received an offer! 17 March applicant day. Re-applicant :) Hope the rest who are waiting receive their offers v soon~

Reactions: 6 users
Got my offer letter today! I’m so excited 😆 good luck to all that are still waiting!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi! I'm not able to pm you on my end for some reason, but I would like to find out certain things from a reapplicant's perspective! Could you pm me if you don't mind sharing? :)

Hi! I'm not able to pm you on my end for some reason, but I would like to find out certain things from a reapplicant's perspective! Could you pm me if you don't mind sharing? :)
Pm’ed u. Not sure if I done that correctly

Hi everybody :) This is probably unrelated to the application. But I just took my mcat and scored 487 :((((((((((((((( Was wondering if anyone will be able to tutor or guide me :( I’m looking to apply for the 2022 cycle, If i can ace the mcat

Hi everybody :) This is probably unrelated to the application. But I just took my mcat and scored 487 :((((((((((((((( Was wondering if anyone will be able to tutor or guide me :( I’m looking to apply for the 2022 cycle, If i can ace the mcat
Hi hi
I have benefitted a lot from Reddit/Mcat while I was studying for it. You might want to check it out!

Got waitlisted too, was interviewed in Nov

Highly recommend at least 3 months of full time studying for it (approx 1 - 1.5 months to drill in your content knowledge and the remaining time should be used for doing practice questions/past year papers). Also very important to train stamina -- it's a 6h++ paper after all!

Reccomended resources

- AAMC MCAT prep resources (MCAT® Prep): you should really really buy and practice AAMC resources, it's expensive but absolutely necessary. In order of descending importance are AAMC practice exams (full length papers basically) -> CARS question packs -> section bank -> bio/chem/phy question packs. In particular, try to get a good gauge of AAMC's logic for CARS reasoning cause nobody else does it as close as theirs (imo at least, plus they are the one releasing the exams so it makes sense).

- Kaplan textbooks: You'll need it for content knowledge for bio, biochem, phy, chem. You can download them off somewhere (doubt I can say it here haha) or buy them. Skip the psych and CARS one, for psych I would very very much recommend the 300 page document from reddit instead (accessible at: Khan Academy Transcription Project for MCAT by MCATBROS {KA Notes} - Google Drive). Much clearer, more understandable and relevant to what AAMC is looking for imo.

- UWorld MCAT practice questions (MCAT Practice Test | 2,000+ Practice Questions | UWorld Grad School): I bought this and thought their questions were quite solid, harder than the average MCAT questions and really good practice. They have like 1000+ questions altogether iirc so if you can complete UWorld (and understand what you're doing) I think you're quite good to go.

- Extra full length papers at Altius or NextStep. According to many redditors their full length papers are the closest to AAMC's -- good to do as many full lengths as possible (trains your skills + knowledge + stamina), but I would recommend to do these first before moving on to AAMC's papers which should be the last thing you do in your exam prep. Treat AAMC's papers like gold and really really run through the whole paper in detail - understand why you got questions right, why you got them wrong, the reasoning behind each question, etc. Treat each full length paper like the real thing (so no extra breaks etc) to make sure that on test day you don't lose steam halfway :)

- Khan academy videos can be very useful if you're having difficulties understanding difficult/foreign concepts. Only drawback is that they're really looong but if you have time I think it would be great!

- r/MCAT (on reddit) is amazing for ALL sorts of resources -- really, everything you need to know/ask about is there! I found it particularly helpful reading about people's study tips, experiences, how they overcame certain difficulties while preparing, etc. It's a treasure trove!

Basically eat sleep drink and poop AAMC knowledge + logic and once you catch their pattern of reasoning I'm sure you'll do much much better the next round! :) May have missed some other tips, feel free to PM me if you need any help too. All the best!!

Hello! Can pm me :) think we can help each other out

Hello! Would like to ask if anyone here used UWorld or Altius? :)
Me! I used both :) highly recommend UWorld, the questions are amazing and really test your knowledge and concepts. Altius is good too but only for the full lengths, you can buy them when they go on sale occasionally :) else the full price is not worth it imo haha. You can also try blueprint (formerly known as nextstep), good full length exam practice too!

In summary, UWorld is extremely helpful in helping you tackle the harder questions in MCAT; Altius/NextStep is good to have but not as necessary :)

For those who’ve received offers, does your offer letter require you to confirm your decision to accept/ reject the offer by a certain date?

Me! I used both :) highly recommend UWorld, the questions are amazing and really test your knowledge and concepts. Altius is good too but only for the full lengths, you can buy them when they go on sale occasionally :) else the full price is not worth it imo haha. You can also try blueprint (formerly known as nextstep), good full length exam practice too!

In summary, UWorld is extremely helpful in helping you tackle the harder questions in MCAT; Altius/NextStep is good to have but not as necessary :)
Can I PM you to ask you further questions about Altius?

For those who’ve received offers, does your offer letter require you to confirm your decision to accept/ reject the offer by a certain date?
I was given 2 weeks to accept/reject. About 2 working days after receiving the offer, they also sent me the financial assistance package (bursary) offer.

I was given 2 weeks to accept/reject. About 2 working days after receiving the offer, they also sent me the financial assistance package (bursary) offer.
I see, thank you!