2020-2021 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you mind sharing this on the forum? This would be useful information for international students overall!
sorry. I don't want to do that because that document contains some personal information/experience. It's only for our juniors.

Members don't see this ad.

You can take a look.

There are also people who have done PhDs at places like Harvard/MIT while enrolled at Duke-NUS
Oh nice! I'll take a look :) strange that the Duke-NUS class profile page says that there is no one from Harvard, Yale, or Princeton. They should correct that haha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh nice! I'll take a look :) strange that the Duke-NUS class profile page says that there is no one from Harvard, Yale, or Princeton. They should correct that haha
I just double checked the website. The website has Princeton in it. But still I think our school did not update it as I know at least one person from the MIT-Havard joint program.

I just double checked the website. The website has Princeton in it. But still I think our school did not update it as I know at least one person from the MIT-Havard joint program.

I was talking about this class profile but I just realized it was talking about undergraduate institutions! Yes, graduate schools seem to be super well represented :D

edit: Even though there is no one who graduated from Harvard, Yale, and Princeton undergrad, HYP are MEANINGLESS LABELS and no one should care about them anyway haha ...... McGill on the other hand ;) no better school

Last edited:

I was talking about this class profile but I just realized it was talking about undergraduate institutions! Yes, graduate schools seem to be super well represented :D
Yeah. As a current student, I can tell that the education quality at Duke-NUS is great. I’m satisfied so far. I’m not sure if you already got your admission, but good luck in your future endeavors.

Yeah. As a current student, I can tell that the education quality at Duke-NUS is great. I’m satisfied so far. I’m not sure if you already got your admission, but good luck in your future endeavors.
Thank you :) Good luck to you too!

My advice is that you need to focus on MCAT or GAMSAT (the other med exam). There is nothing you can do about GPA assuming you graduated already. Our school filters applicants based on MCAT, not GPA. Therefore, in my opinion, MCAT is more important than GPA. Good luck on your prep and let me know if you have more questions.
Hello thank u! I haven't graduated yet but just trying to maintain my undergrad CAP/GPA. Will definitely work on my prep for MCAT (aiming to start studying for it this year!)

Really hope to get into Duke-NUS some day, enjoyed the pre-med course so far. Haha thanks!

They're probably referring to undergraduate schools. Although I know for a fact that there has been at least one Duke-NUS student who attended MIT as an undergraduate but MIT isn't in the list of schools (so the list doesn't seem particularly comprehensive).

Duke-NUS has been a fantastic teaching/research institution in my experience. Unquestionably world class. It's the public healthcare system in SG that takes some getting used to...

They're probably referring to undergraduate schools. Although I know for a fact that there has been at least one Duke-NUS student who attended MIT as an undergraduate but MIT isn't in the list of schools (so the list doesn't seem particularly comprehensive).

Duke-NUS has been a fantastic teaching/research institution in my experience. Unquestionably world class. It's the public healthcare system in SG that takes some getting used to...

Yup you're right! MiT is there!

This one is up to date:

Hi all! I'm a current final year undergrad who only really made the leap to seriously consider medicine over the past year after doing a health-related bioengineering internship. Have secretly wanted to be a physician-scientist since pre-uni but never believed in my abilities enough to properly pursue the physician side of it. Was wondering if anyone else had the same "confidence" issues and how they got over it before applying?

Yup you're right! MiT is there!

This one is up to date:
Ah, ok

Yeah, there are a number of students who graduated at or very near the top of their class (summa cum laude) at places like Duke, Hopkins, Cornell, Cambridge etc.

The MD-PhD program in particular definitely attracts that caliber of student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, has anyone who attended applicant day from Dec and onwards heard back from the admissions team?

So far I've only seen offers going out to those who attended the Oct/Nov applicant days, and I'm curious if anyone else who attended applicant day after that have received an offer.

Thanks and all the best to everyone who are still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Last day of March??? All the best luck everyone!!!

Reactions: 7 users
For those who interviewed in Oct/Nov, have you guys heard anything back?
My status is still the forever “under review”.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those who interviewed in Oct/Nov, have you guys heard anything back?
My status is still the forever “under review”.....
Looks like we're in the same boat!
Interviewed Nov 19th. Let's keep up the hope for now. Best of luck friends :)

I haven’t received an email either and the portal hasn’t changed. Interviewed Nov 19 and got the management team email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just got the offer for the PhD IBM programme! Email came in ytd evening but ended up in junk mail

Same, feeling kind of cheated with them saying they would get back to us by the end of March :rolleyes:

Yup, it's also terrible how they worded the management email like an acceptance letter, congratulating us and everything, but it turns out they literally sent it to everyone lol

I'm just taking this as a soft rejection, they're probably keeping a pool of applicants* in case those who received the offer turn them down. But have faith and stay strong :) applaud everyone for your will power and i guess a day or two don't make much difference after a 4-5 month wait

*i typed a-p-p-l-i-c-a-n-t-s instead of Peeps but hahaha probably an April fool prank by the forum, guess that even the forum wants us to relax a bit, enjoy your day!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Did any one check with the office about this? :confused: (sorry for the weird message earlier, idk why it got wonky)

Last edited:
Hi. Everyone

Has any PhD applicants received the offer from IBM?

Many thanks

Did you receive offer from the IBM program?
No.....I'm just wondering whether the offers had been made or not. I haven't heard back from them and my application status is still "under review"

Did any one check with the office about this? :confused: (sorry for the weird message earlier, idk why it got wonky)
I managed to speak to someone from the office last weekend and I was told that despite what the management email says about hearing back by the end of March, we can expect a delay sometime into April as the admissions team is dealing with an increased number of applications this year. She unfortunately could not specify a date in April.

Reactions: 7 users
I managed to speak to someone from the office last weekend and I was told that despite what the management email says about hearing back by the end of March, we can expect a delay sometime into April as the demons team is dealing with an increased number of Easter egg collections this year. She unfortunately could not specify a date in April.
Thanks for checking!

Really hope we will know the outcome soon.

I managed to speak to someone from the office last weekend and I was told that despite what the management email says about hearing back by the end of March, we can expect a delay sometime into April as the demons team is dealing with an increased number of Easter egg collections this year. She unfortunately could not specify a date in April.
Thank you!! Hopefully we'll hear from them soon!!

No.....I'm just wondering whether the offers had been made or not. I haven't heard back from them and my Easter egg collection status is still "under review"
i received my offer ytd evening! check your junk mail!

I hope they send us an updated email regarding what the plan is and what we can expect.

Hello all, if there is anyone who created a chat/telegram for admitted AND committed international students, please let me know. I am a current international MS1 at Duke-NUS. I had some troubles when I came here and settled down. So, I would like to share some tips on planning and coming to SG with internationals so that you all don't experience any hassle. Thanks and congrats again! By the way, someone said the incoming MCAT is increasing every year right? As far as I remember, the MCAT average of admitted students was like 513~514 last year. This year, the average is like 516. It's getting tougher every year indeed.
Hi there!

We do have a telegram chat group for all incoming students, local and international! Here's the link: 2025 Duke NUS

I think the knowledge you have on hand would be great for everyone since there are a handful of locals like myself who are also looking to rent!

If you have any qns, just pm me on tele @pepperqi. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
MS1 here. I think the Admissions are still working on the final applicant list they narrowed down. So please hang in there for those who are still waiting!

Also if there's anything you would like to know or inquire about, please don't hesitate to reply or PM me.

Interviewed in Feb, no news for me yet too 🥲 all the best to everyone waiting, fingers crossed 🤞🏻 let’s hang in there for awhile more (hopefully it’ll be out within this month), praying for a favourable outcome for everyone!

MS1 here. I think the Admissions are still working on the final applicant list they narrowed down. So please hang in there for those who are still waiting!

Also if there's anything you would like to know or inquire about, please don't hesitate to reply or PM me.
Thank you so much for the reassurance, means a lot to all of us who are waiting ☺️ Hope your first year has been (and is going) great!

Hi everyone! I was just wondering, would it be a wise decision to apply if my MCAT score is 505? My gpa is 3.87/4. I have some work experience related to pathology and 1 year research experience. I’m intending to apply for the 2022 intake.

p.s hoping to avoid reattempting the MCAT as it was mentally traumatizing and exhausting experience 😜

All the best to all those still waiting on your offers :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I was just wondering, would it be a wise decision to apply if my MCAT score is 505? My gpa is 3.87/4. I have some work experience related to pathology and 1 year research experience. I’m intending to apply for the 2022 intake.

p.s hoping to avoid reattempting the MCAT as it was mentally traumatizing and exhausting experience 😜

All the best to all those still waiting on your offers :)
Hello,

I think your GPA is considered good. However, our school has a strict cut-off for MCAT. I am wondering if you can retake MCAT and get AT LEAST 513. I cannot tell you the details as a current med student at Duke-NUS. However, if I were you, I would retake it. You can try the other med entrance exam GAMSAT.

• Dislike
Hello,

I think your GPA is considered good. However, our school has a strict cut-off for MCAT. I am wondering if you can retake MCAT and get AT LEAST 513. I cannot tell you the details as a current med student at Duke-NUS. However, if I were you, I would retake it. You can try the other med entrance exam GAMSAT.
yup i second this ^

i recall the admissions team saying that they look for ≥90th percentile for gamsat, since they didn't have the average gamsat statistics yet (average mcat is 513, which is about 90th percentile too). i think retaking mcat/gamsat would help you maximise your chances :) i wouldn't want the admissions test to be the limiting factor in the application

They explicitly say that they do not have a strict cut-off for the MCAT. I'm not sure where you're getting this misinformation from. I personally know several students with an MCAT score <513...

They explicitly say that they do not have a strict cut-off for the MCAT. I'm not sure where you're getting this misinformation from. I personally know several students with an MCAT score <513...
Hello,

Thanks for your message. This forum is to help prospective students prepare their applications for med school. I did not provide incorrect information although I cannot reveal the source of it. I shared the information that I had because that would help people in here to make a realistic plan for their future. For example, if there is someone with MCAT 505, it would be much better to study again and retake it instead of waiting for a positive result from our school this year. That was the whole point of this sharing. I just wanted to say sorry if you felt bad about anything and also hoped to share the good intention of it. Thanks a lot! Please PM me if you need more conversation.

Thank you @anondukie9 🙏

I feel like too many med school students try to intimidate prospective students, but in actuality medical school is supposed to be a profession of compassion and the admissions process is supposed to be holistic/nuanced.

Just apply @Somewhereovertherainbow! You have nothing to lose. If you don't make it, just apply again :)

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you @anondukie9 🙏

I feel like too many med school students try to intimidate prospective students, but in actuality medical school is supposed to be a profession of compassion and the admissions process is supposed to be holistic/nuanced.

Just apply @Somewhereovertherainbow! You have nothing to lose. If you don't make it, just apply again :)
Hello,

@IBstudent1234567 I saw you clicking dislike for some of my posting. I am in fact one of the students who have information in the admissions. I shared some of information despite the fact that it might undermine/jeopardize my position as a student in the meeting/position. I am a bit discouraged now due to the some of messages in here. Sorry I will not share any advice and will not give any realistic suggestion. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users