2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Louisiana)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted here and to NYIT-Arkansas. I am having a hard time deciding which to choose. NYIT is closer to home (3 hours away compared to VCOM being about 8 hours away), but VCOM is also much cheaper. Does anyone have any advice?? I also have an interview with ATSU KCOM in December (which I am strongly considering), but I will have to make a deposit on VCOM or NYIT before I hear back on if I am accepted to Kirksville. I also have an interview with CUSOM, if anyone has information on that school as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted here and to NYIT-Arkansas. I am having a hard time deciding which to choose. NYIT is closer to home (3 hours away compared to VCOM being about 8 hours away), but VCOM is also much cheaper. Does anyone have any advice?? I also have an interview with ATSU KCOM in December (which I am strongly considering), but I will have to make a deposit on VCOM or NYIT before I hear back on if I am accepted to Kirksville. I also have an interview with CUSOM, if anyone has information on that school as well.
I'll pm you.

Reactions: 1 user
PM me if you have any VCOM-LA specific questions that might assist in your decision making. I'm an OMS1.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind me asking what your MCAT score was? I just interviewed here and I have a 507. Trying to figure out if I actually have a chance lol

Do you mind me asking what your MCAT score was? I just interviewed here and I have a 507. Trying to figure out if I actually have a chance lol

A 507 MCAT is pretty competitive for all DO schools

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 11/18, just got the call 😭😭😭😭 I’m so excited!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
primary submitted a month ago, got a message they received it and will take a look at my app. Heard nothing back yet for a secondary - do they silent R?

primary submitted a month ago, got a message they received it and will take a look at my app. Heard nothing back yet for a secondary - do they silent R?
depends on your stats!!! if you have good stats, then just keep waiting!!

depends on your stats!!! if you have good stats, then just keep waiting!!
Haha, if I had good stats I wouldn’t have asked XD

sub 500 mcat - but I saw in another thread that someone got a secondary with a worse mcat so I’m guessing they are just behind. Thanks for the late night reply : D

• Care
For those who interviewed here, was the Louisiana branch your first pick on your secondary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
so i submitted primaries in sept however all i got since then was my application is under review but still havent received secondary to any VCOM school. anyone else in a similar position?

so i submitted primaries in sept however all i got since then was my application is under review but still havent received secondary to any VCOM school. anyone else in a similar position?
Yes, VCOM is the only secondary I’m missing. =/

maybe due to stats? My mcat is <500 but i am retaking it next month and my sGPA is 3.0.
Unfortunately, I think VCOM has a pretty strict screening cutoff of 3.2 for GPAs - this might be part of what's giving you trouble. They tend to put more emphasis on GPA compared to MCAT.

Unfortunately, I think VCOM has a pretty strict screening cutoff of 3.2 for GPAs - this might be part of what's giving you trouble. They tend to put more emphasis on GPA compared to MCAT.
hmm i know of the emphasis on GPA and my GPA would only increase from my summer/current coursework however I did not see the previously screening before the secondary on their website unless I missed it?

Also I feel like i would have received an R by now if that was the case since its December already and it appears they are interviewing people. the email I referred to previously was sent on 9/22.

maybe due to stats? My mcat is <500 but i am retaking it next month and my sGPA is 3.0.
I’m not sure as I haven’t reached out. My MCAT is 505, undergrad gpa is 3.45 and grad gpa is 3.80. Science gpa is 3.55 for UG and 3.80 for Grad.

Yes, VCOM is the only secondary I’m missing. =/
same boat as you guys. i sent an email 2 weeks ago and they said my primary is still under review, they are busy is what they said.

• Care
same boat as you guys. i sent an email 2 weeks ago and they said my primary is still under review, they are busy is what they said.
Thank you! I figured I probably wouldn’t hear anything now until after the first of the year. =/

hmm i know of the emphasis on GPA and my GPA would only increase from my summer/current coursework however I did not see the previously screening before the secondary on their website unless I missed it?

Also I feel like i would have received an R by now if that was the case since its December already and it appears they are interviewing people. the email I referred to previously was sent on 9/22.
They list the 3.2 requirement under “gpa” here: Admission Requirements

I haven’t seen many rejections either, but I’m afraid they simply might not be outright rejecting people. I have only seen decisions made for people who have interviewed. Granted, the forums are only a subset of the applicants, so it’s hard to know for sure.

They list the 3.2 requirement under “gpa” here: Admission Requirements

I haven’t seen many rejections either, but I’m afraid they simply might not be outright rejecting people. I have only seen decisions made for people who have interviewed. Granted, the forums are only a subset of the applicants, so it’s hard to know for sure.
thank you! I'm emailing them an update on ym application that might move things along but let's see what happens. I actually like the virginia campus so hopefully!!

• Care
thank you! I'm emailing them an update on ym application that might move things along but let's see what happens. I actually like the virginia campus so hopefully!!
Good luck! I really hope things work out for you! 😁😁

does anyone know how to send their LOR through interfolio? I know it is an option however the school is not showing up?

I've heard handwritten thank you notes are preferred to email thank you notes at many places. Might be true here as well.

Did you ever get a secondary yet? I'm still waiting on one.. lmao..

I know it is kind of early in the cycle to pose this topic, but I'm a current OMS1 here looking ahead to change up my roommate situation for OMS2. If any incoming OMS1 students have committed to attending here and are looking for a roommate, PM me for details.

Submitted Secondary 09/10. Interview Invite 01/08. Interviewed 01/20. ACCEPTED 01/22!
Stats: GPA 3.97 MCAT 501 Out of State, but considered within their reach of recruitment

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
When did you interview? I have my interview on the 27th and I’m wondering how quickly I can expect a response. Congratulations by the way!
They normally respond within two weeks but they will tell you when you should here back during your interview

Did anyone receive an interview recently from VCOM LA? I just got one and they legit only have 2 days available on the calendar for the next couple of months. Are you guys seeing the same thing? And they are 6 and 7 days away from now. Its just pretty so last minute haha.

Did anyone receive an interview recently from VCOM LA? I just got one and they legit only have 2 days available on the calendar for the next couple of months. Are you guys seeing the same thing? And they are 6 and 7 days away from now. Its just pretty so last minute haha.
I interviewed on Wednesday and it was the same way for me. Got my invite on the Tuesday prior. So only 8 days in advance. Being that it’s a zoom interview, I assume that’s why it’s able to be so last minute. Happy you got an interview though!

Does anyone have any interview tips they’d be willing to share ? Feel free to pm me as well

Does anyone have any interview tips they’d be willing to share ? Feel free to pm me as well
Just have a regular conversation with them! They already know your stats and think they are sufficient enough to get in. They just want to know the you outside from your resume and make sure you fit their mission! It’s an open file so they may ask about something in your resume. When they tell you about themselves, try to find things to relate to with them. Also, have some questions ready just in case there is extra time. Good luck!!

Submitted my app back in August, and just received a secondary. Do you guys think it’s worth it to submit considering it’s so late in the cycle?

Submitted my app back in August, and just received a secondary. Do you guys think it’s worth it to submit considering it’s so late in the cycle?
It’s never too late! The class isn’t full yet, so why not give it a shot :)

It’s definitely worth it! Last year, I submitted my secondary in late February, interviewed at the end of March, and then was accepted a month later!

II just now. There were only 3 dates available, all in February.

II just now. There were only 3 dates available, all in February.
I could be wrong, but I think they add dates as they extend more invites. When I got my invite there were 3 dates, one in January and two the first week of February. Congrats on the interview! Best of luck!!