2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have like 210 soooo I should be good to go. And is your science gpa also calculated out of the 120? It’s written strangely on the website. The way I think it works is both overall and science GPA of your last 120 is actually what counts.

Finally found someone else with 200+ credits!!!! I don't know what your story is or your GPA, but if you're like me, I'm sure you also know the struggle of just taking 'a few more classes' to raise your GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Finally found someone else with 200+ credits!!!! I don't know what your story is or your GPA, but if you're like me, I'm sure you also know the struggle of just taking 'a few more classes' to raise your GPA.

It has been an absolute nightmare. But @Goro mentioned our best case is transcript repair and academic rehab; not GPA repair. The trick is showing adcoms we’ve changed. But the counterpoint is some (not all) adcoms could not possibly care less about our reinvention. “Holistic review” is BS for *some*programs even if they say they do it.

Reactions: 2 users
It has been an absolute nightmare. But @Goro mentioned our best case is transcript repair and academic rehab; not GPA repair. The trick is showing adcoms we’ve changed. But the counterpoint is some (not all) adcoms could not possibly care less about our reinvention. “Holistic review” is BS for *some*programs even if they say they do it.

Oh, I definitely agree. I've seen people who have gone on to get 4.0s in all of their recent courses that still get rejected pretty quickly from a lot of schools because of their cGPA. At least there are those who do actually employ the holistic approach!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who submitted late July not yet receive a complete email?

Oh, I definitely agree. I've seen people who have gone on to get 4.0s in all of their recent courses that still get rejected pretty quickly from a lot of schools because of their cGPA. At least there are those who do actually employ the holistic approach!

Just to piggyback off this comment; we need to get together, a group of us, and actually put together info on schools that truly reward reinvention. I know Goro has a fantastic list but I think some on that list are not as reinvention friendly as far as DO schools go.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to piggyback off this comment; we need to get together, a group of us, and actually put together info on schools that truly reward reinvention. I know Goro has a fantastic list but I think some on that list are not as reinvention friendly as far as DO schools go.

I think that's a really good idea!!!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats, OOS or IS? When did you submit your secondary & interview too?
Average MCAT and High GPA. Lots of community service hours, research, etc. I am OOS. My secondary was submitted beginning of August and I interviewed on 8/31.

Submitted my secondary on 7/7 and haven’t heard a single thing yet.. starting to worry..

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think I received a complete email but everything is marked as complete/received on the portal

Same here! Not sure if we are supposed to receive a complete email though

Same here! Not sure if we are supposed to receive a complete email though

I submitted end of June and didn’t get the complete email until end of August, I think they just might be really slow on sending those out

I haven't received a complete email yet (complete in the portal), however, I did receive the virtual shadowing email today

Still waiting on complete email :( submitted secondary 7/16. Congrats to those accepted!

can any current students describe housing on/near campus? are single apartments affordable?

If VCOM sends me one more email with the subject line “You’re invited!” and its NOT an interview invite.....I’ll be upset lol. Looking forward to the virtual open house though :’)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Y’all! VCOM admissions is really killing me with the “You’re invited” emails... I get so excited for the potential interview invite and then see it’s for open houses, physician shadowing, etc. but it is kind of funny haha

• Haha
If VCOM sends me one more email with the subject line “You’re invited!” and its NOT an interview invite.....I’ll be upset lol. Looking forward to the virtual open house though :’)
Haha!! That is what I’m saying!!!!!

Y’all! VCOM admissions is really killing me with the “You’re invited” emails... I get so excited for the potential interview invite and then see it’s for open houses, physician shadowing, etc. but it is kind of funny haha
SERIOUSLY THO! :dead:

Does anyone else have a mini heart attack every time VCOM sends an invite to their open houses and the subject line says “You’re invited!”. :cautious:

• Haha
can any current students describe housing on/near campus? are single apartments affordable?

I live in Christiansburg in a town house development that is 7 min from the school and it cost $1170 + utilities. I also have 3 floors, 2.5 bathrooms and 2 rooms so it’s nots bad for the price. A lot of people live at the reserve and can walk to class but I wanted to have a little more space for my dog!

Can someone clarify this section of the Interview Update Form: "Also please supply VCOM with a listing of your courses and grades NOW, prior to your interview. We will accept a grade report or unofficial transcript from you now BUT YOU MUST also supply AACOMAS with an official transcript to update your profile."

Do I need to fill this out if I have nothing additional to update my application with? Already graduated a year ago so I don't see why they would want another transcript with exactly the same info but i'm not sure...

Finally got the Virtual Physician Shadowing email.

same. do you know what to expect in the virtual shadowing? Are we just listening to a panel and asking questions to the physicians?

same. do you know what to expect in the virtual shadowing? Are we just listening to a panel and asking questions to the physicians?
No I haven’t been to one yet.

@All: Is there someone here that’s been?

Finally got the Virtual Physician Shadowing email.
Haven't gotten mine yet.. I'm signed up for the 5pm EST spot tomorrow. I emailed admissions asking about it and they said "oh you'll get your zoom link the day before the session," and i'm like--but..but..that's today :(

I attended the first virtual shadowing! It was a panel of four physicians, each from a different specialty, who talked about their journey to medicine and what working in their specialty is like. Bill King with VCOM was hosting the meeting and he asked each of them a few questions. The physicians were great and very open to sharing their experiences!

There was like 300+ students in the zoom meeting, so you won't get to speak with anyone directly. But there is a chat box where you can ask questions which they are very responsive to as the session is ongoing! Some attendees had cameras on, others off. Overall great experience :)

My brother (LM = 66) just got an interview invite here!! So excited for him! Are there any current students/applicants who would be willing to share some information about this school?

My brother (LM = 66) just got an interview invite here!! So excited for him! Are there any current students/applicants who would be willing to share some information about this school?

Yeah! Feel free to PM

For those who get accepted and want to go to the VA campus be sure to avoid Price Real Estate. A few of us lived in Apartment Heights which is one of their properties. As an example of their poor management: my oven broke just before thanksgiving and I notified them by December 1. When I moved out in July it was still not repaired.

Others have had issues too. Please read your leases carefully and search for reviews.

Best of luck everyone.

Hey everyone. I’m an OMS-I at VCOM VA! Feel free to ask me any questions. I’ll try to get back as quick as I can! You can PM or reply with your question here.
What were your stats like? Were you IS or OOS? How was the timing for your cycle (when did you apply, interview, hear back, etc)? Aaaand what's your favorite thing so far about the school and the surrounding area!?

Stats were 3.5ish for both GPAs, 504 MCAT, IS applicant. More importantly I had other things such as 3 years of clinical experience and captain on college baseball team for a couple of years. I applied right away but didn’t hear back until January (I had 7 acceptances and a seat deposit placed prior to my VCOM interview). I’m not sure why it took them so long to be honest.

I live in Christiansburg which is 10 minutes from the school but the whole area is such a nice place to live, I really enjoy the area in general. With COVID going on we haven’t had much school events going on so outside of my study group (which was formed from a class groupme) I really don’t talk to many of my classmates. I think that’s the status quo across many med schools though. We have really tried to become as close as possible over our group messages but it’s not the same. However, even though we haven’t really met one another, we have a ton of people sharing study resources for exam to everyone and there’s such a huge family/teamwork environment because we are all going through this together.
SEVEN ACCEPTANCES!?!? Bro!!! That's amazing! And very good to hear, I feel very reassured--considering it's mid September and I have yet to receive a single interview invitation :depressed:

I'm glad to hear there's still a strong connection and system of support, despite not being able to physically be close to your classmates. Thank you so much for your response! <3

Stats were 3.5ish for both GPAs, 504 MCAT, IS applicant. More importantly I had other things such as 3 years of clinical experience and captain on college baseball team for a couple of years. I applied right away but didn’t hear back until January (I had 7 acceptances and a seat deposit placed prior to my VCOM interview). I’m not sure why it took them so long to be honest.

I live in Christiansburg which is 10 minutes from the school but the whole area is such a nice place to live, I really enjoy the area in general. With COVID going on we haven’t had much school events going on so outside of my study group (which was formed from a class groupme) I really don’t talk to many of my classmates. I think that’s the status quo across many med schools though. We have really tried to become as close as possible over our group messages but it’s not the same. However, even though we haven’t really met one another, we have a ton of people sharing study resources for exam to everyone and there’s such a huge family/teamwork environment because we are all going through this together.
With so many acceptances, what made VCOM stand out for you?

Hi guys, I'm a bit confused if I should apply because of the GPA requirements. Is the 3.2 min GPA just based on undergrad or can it also account for all my classes from both undergrad and graduate? My science GPA from undergrad falls below the 3.2 but my overall science including my graduate classes pushes me above that 3.2 lol.

Has anyone not received a secondary from this school? I submitted my primary in July and reached out in the beginning of August. They said they were still reviewing due to high volume of applicants. Still nothing.. should I call?

Has anyone not received a secondary from this school? I submitted my primary in July and reached out in the beginning of August. They said they were still reviewing due to high volume of applicants. Still nothing.. should I call?
+1
I'm not sure what more information they could give you during a second phone call further than what they've already told you. Unfortunately might just have to wait it out

Hi guys, I'm a bit confused if I should apply because of the GPA requirements. Is the 3.2 min GPA just based on undergrad or can it also account for all my classes from both undergrad and graduate? My science GPA from undergrad falls below the 3.2 but my overall science including my graduate classes pushes me above that 3.2 lol.
@peace390 Unless there are other factors including the cost of applying that would cause you to refrain from applying to VCOM, I wouldn't let the GPA deter you. You have moved above the threshold with your grad classes and can explain that in the application. My only other consideration would be if the undergrad GPA was WAAAAYYY below 3.2 but you would still show marked improvement now. My thoughts. Thanks

+1
I'm not sure what more information they could give you during a second phone call further than what they've already told you. Unfortunately might just have to wait it out
My son received a secondary on 7/27. Still no word on an II though. I do know that, like all of the schools, VCOM has to wade through THOUSANDS of applications. As for a second call, I would suggest sitting tight for a bit (maybe get to the beginning of October). Factors that might change my thought could be: your stats are very competitive, you've gotten secondaries from a lot or all of your other choices, VCOM is your #1 choice. Even with that, the response you get will likely be the same as the Admissions folks may not be willing/able to pull your application specifically to see the status. They may only be able to look at the date you submitted and where they are in the cycle.

Hey I think you should! If you look at the student handbook it says, “you must achieve a minimum 3.2 overall and science gpa in the last 120 credit bachelors/masters.”

Anyone know if VCOM extends II's for multiple campuses, or is it more likely to only get an invite from one campus?