2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in the same boat. To be honest, I applied broadly and I'm not really interested in VCOM but ever since the we are reviewing your application for a secondary email I got months ago, I received nothing from them. Eventually I'll call them soon, but the communication received by them makes me not really want to go there...
same!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. To be honest, I applied broadly and I'm not really interested in VCOM but ever since the we are reviewing your application for a secondary email I got months ago, I received nothing from them. Eventually I'll call them soon, but the communication received by them makes me not really want to go there...

pretty ridiculous that there are some people who have been waiting since july. i agree, the lack of communication and disregard for the fact that we paid to send them primaries is really a turnoff

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
pretty ridiculous that there are some people who have been waiting since july. i agree, the lack of communication and disregard for the fact that we paid to send them primaries is really a turnoff
100% along with the fact, that they intentionally mislead people into giving them more money for primaries for the other campuses when you only have to apply to one. Worst ADCOM experience I have had so far

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
100% along with the fact, that they intentionally mislead people into giving them more money for primaries for the other campuses when you only have to apply to one. Worst ADCOM experience I have had so far

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but they really don't intentionally mislead people. The VCOM website clearly says: "You send one application to VCOM's central admissions department through AACOMAS, and then you have the option of specifying which campus you prefer later on in the process."

II received yesterday. OOS and out of their "target region" but went to VT.
Submitted my secondary on 7/13. Received a complete email on 10/21. I emailed admissions twice about the status of my secondary. For everyone wondering if they should email, I definitely would if you are interested in the school. I feel that it is justified to politely ask for an update.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
II received yesterday. OOS and out of their "target region" but went to VT.
Submitted my secondary on 7/13. Received a complete email on 10/21. I emailed admissions twice about the status of my secondary. For everyone wondering if they should email, I definitely would if you are interested in the school. I feel that it is justified to politely ask for an update.

I’m a VT grad, too! When are you interviewing? I’m signed up for 11/6.

Reactions: 1 user
Complete 09/28 but haven’t heard anything. Anyone in the same boat.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys I had a question about the shadowing opportunity offered by VCOM. So I did register for the November 6th shadowing like 2 weeks back. I have so far not received any Zoom link or confirmation. Did you guys receive the shadowing zoom link or anything?

Also today I received the registration link for shadowing again, I was thinking of re-registering, but I am not sure what should I do?

hey guys I had a question about the shadowing opportunity offered by VCOM. So I did register for the November 6th shadowing like 2 weeks back. I have so far not received any Zoom link or confirmation. Did you guys receive the shadowing zoom link or anything?

Also today I received the registration link for shadowing again, I was thinking of re-registering, but I am not sure what should I do?

I did the virtual shadowing back in September. My zoom link didn't come until like a day before the event, so I would expect your link to arrive around Thursday.

As for signing up again - I kind of had the same curiosity because like I said, I did it in September but also received the second invitation. I wasn't sure if it would be inappropriate to sign up again and take up a spot that could otherwise go to someone who hasn't had the opportunity to do it yet.

I did the virtual shadowing back in September. My zoom link didn't come until like a day before the event, so I would expect your link to arrive around Thursday.

As for signing up again - I kind of had the same curiosity because like I said, I did it in September but also received the second invitation. I wasn't sure if it would be inappropriate to sign up again and take up a spot that could otherwise go to someone who hasn't had the opportunity to do it yet.
Oh okay!

Thank you for letting me know, looks like my link will also come a day before.

Thanks for letting me know, appreciate it!

My son got the Acceptance call last Friday (10/30)! :claps::soexcited:He submitted on 8/4, marked complete on 9/25, interviewed 10/20. This is his top DO school so he's VERY excited he got the A.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Secondary submitted, 10/6. 3.67 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA, unfortunately, my MCAT did not go as I had hoped and I earned a 494. Does anyone know how much the MCAT plays into the admissions decision? Finishing my PhD and have tons of research experience and six publications with a couple of webinars under my belt. Have over 20k hours of clinical experience (civilian and military) and 80 hours of shadowing DOs (and was able to get a DO letter of rec). My most significant volunteer activity was two terms of service as an AmeriCorps VISTA, almost 4k hours over the two years.

Secondary submitted, 10/6. 3.67 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA, unfortunately, my MCAT did not go as I had hoped and I earned a 494. Does anyone know how much the MCAT plays into the admissions decision? Finishing my PhD and have tons of research experience and six publications with a couple of webinars under my belt. Have over 20k hours of clinical experience (civilian and military) and 80 hours of shadowing DOs (and was able to get a DO letter of rec). My most significant volunteer activity was two terms of service as an AmeriCorps VISTA, almost 4k hours over the two years.
They are pretty holistic. The fact that you got a secondary application is a good sign since they pre-screen. I would guess they really liked the rest of your application. If you are really interested in this school, I would email admissions and let them know. They are pretty friendly and receptive to those that are honestly interested in their school.

• Care
They are pretty holistic. The fact that you got a secondary application is a good sign since they pre-screen. I would guess they really liked the rest of your application. If you are really interested in this school, I would email admissions and let them know. They are pretty friendly and receptive to those that are honestly interested in their school.

Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated!

I was complete back in September and its been silent since, wondering if I should shoot them an email for an update since I'm instate and was really hoping to interview here

I was complete back in September and its been silent since, wondering if I should shoot them an email for an update since I'm instate and was really hoping to interview here

Admissions at VCOM has been really responsive and pleasant in my personal experience, so I think it could be worthwhile just to check-in and make sure everything is good to go with your application. I will say that it seems like interviews have been going out a bit slower this year compared to previous years.

Admissions at VCOM has been really responsive and pleasant in my personal experience, so I think it could be worthwhile just to check-in and make sure everything is good to go with your application. I will say that it seems like interviews have been going out a bit slower this year compared to previous years.
Yeah I definitely got that vibe so I've been a little hesitant, not trying to annoy them, but I think I'll give it a shot

If you’re accepted to a campus but find out It won’t work for you (for familial reasons), are they receptive to asking for consideration at another campus? And who would be “the” person to ask?

If you’re accepted to a campus but find out It won’t work for you (for familial reasons), are they receptive to asking for consideration at another campus? And who would be “the” person to ask?

This is definitely a question for admissions. In the presentation with them on interview day they mentioned that an acceptance at one campus does not mean acceptance at another campus, so I do not know if they'll transfer the acceptance. I have heard of them reconsidering locations at the interview stage and I think some students may have transferred in the past. I would just talk through your situation with admissions and see what kind of options you have.

Still haven't received anything after the we are looking at your application for a possible secondary invite in early September. Starting to receive acceptances now from other DO schools and still haven't even received a secondary yet. I know it's a unique cycle and process is long and you have be patient, but it does seem a little ridiculous that it's taking this long just to even get a secondary invite. Probably going to withdraw my application, hope one of you gets in!

• Care
Accepted!!!! Just got the call a little bit ago! Interviewed 11/6

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
How is the interview day like here being virtual? I interview on Wednesday and idk what to expect.

How is the interview day like here being virtual? I interview on Wednesday and idk what to expect.
I thought it was pretty laid back with typical interview questions that one would expect. I really enjoyed having 3 different one on one's instead of just one large interview with three panelists. Very low stress environment despite how long the actual interview is.

I thought it was pretty laid back with typical interview questions that one would expect. I really enjoyed having 3 different one on one's instead of just one large interview with three panelists. Very low stress environment despite how long the actual interview is.
so do they end up asking the same things?

They ask the general questions you would expect, but all three of my interviewrs were different. I had one researcher, one professor, and one physician, so they also asked questions that were specific to their respective area.

I think some of the general questions were asked by all three of my interviewers, but the rest of each interview was different. It didn't feel too repetitive, and everyone was super nice and genuinely interested in me/my app.

Interviewed here today. It was very low stress.

• Care
sent my primary here on 9/2 and still haven’t gotten updated on if I’ll get a secondary or not

Interview was far less stress than expected, I thought it went well. First open file I’ve had. They didn’t ask about anything in a negative way, it was more elaborating on info I’d given in primary and secondary.
However, they did say that we were the first group which will be fully waitlisted or rejected - the class is full already - and that they would meet after December 15th to decide who would move up on anyone who doesn’t pay the fee or withdraws their acceptance.
Overall a great impression of the program. I have a few As but I would consider it strongly if moved.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Interview was far less stress than expected, I thought it went well. First open file I’ve had. They didn’t ask about anything in a negative way, it was more elaborating on info I’d given in primary and secondary.
However, they did say that we were the first group which will be fully waitlisted or rejected - the class is full already - and that they would meet after December 15th to decide who would move up on anyone who doesn’t pay the fee or withdraws their acceptance.
Overall a great impression of the program. I have a few As but I would consider it strongly if moved.

Wow, they said the class is full already? I'm a bit surprised by that!

There is only 80 people in the FB group though. I thought they usually take a larger class like 170/180?

I get that rolling admissions is a thing and there is likely to be a ton of waitlist turnover but this is SO SCARY. the secondary deadline isn't until march!
It's pretty crazy, the verbiage is usually that DO cycles go slower than MD, but this cycle seems to speak otherwise.

Made my way up here finally. Such a beautiful area. View from hotel. Going to hike tomorrow

Attachments

• C50C2FED-1EB5-417C-A459-620FF90832D1.jpeg
    C50C2FED-1EB5-417C-A459-620FF90832D1.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Love
I submitted my supplement in august. I haven’t heard jack from this place

• Care
CE9CE462-9737-4713-A7C2-6316807FF9B5.jpeg
4F491517-578A-4A87-A22E-99EA65C6E9DB.jpeg

View from Bald Knob, 4300 ft, about 10 miles from campus

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
the waiting process after interviews < the waiting process to get an interview.

• Care
Just got an interview invitation yesterday (11/23)! Submitted my secondary in July and have been checking in every so often with their admissions department!

• Love
Just got an interview invitation yesterday (11/23)! Submitted my secondary in July and have been checking in every so often with their admissions department!
Congrats! Just curious what you would say when checking in? I’ve been thinking about sending an email but didn’t want to burn any chance I may have haha

Congrats! Just curious what you would say when checking in? I’ve been thinking about sending an email but didn’t want to burn any chance I may have haha
Here is what I wrote the first time! The second time I wrote I emphasized that I would love to be a part of their class of 2025 and was very interested in their school since it is towards the top of my list!

To whom it may concern,

I was hoping to receive an update regarding the status of my VCOM application. I have not heard anything since September 9th, when I received an email stating that my application was complete. I know that the email I received had stated that if I was granted an interview, I could expect to be notified by phone; however, I was unsure of whether my application had been reviewed yet, as I have yet to receive any communication, via phone or email, regarding its status. As such, I have been assuming that my application has yet to be reviewed, as I know VCOM is receiving a multitude of applications and is quite busy; however, if possible, I would like to confirm my status.

Any updates that are able to be provided regarding the current status of my application would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. I look forward to your reply.

Here is what I wrote the first time! The second time I wrote I emphasized that I would love to be a part of their class of 2025 and was very interested in their school since it is towards the top of my list!

To whom it may concern,

I was hoping to receive an update regarding the status of my VCOM application. I have not heard anything since September 9th, when I received an email stating that my application was complete. I know that the email I received had stated that if I was granted an interview, I could expect to be notified by phone; however, I was unsure of whether my application had been reviewed yet, as I have yet to receive any communication, via phone or email, regarding its status. As such, I have been assuming that my application has yet to be reviewed, as I know VCOM is receiving a multitude of applications and is quite busy; however, if possible, I would like to confirm my status.

Any updates that are able to be provided regarding the current status of my application would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. I look forward to your reply.
Thanks! Yeah same, I went to an open house they had last year and it instantly shot up my list. Best of luck in your interview!