2020-2021 University of Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: 2019-2020 University of Chicago

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
Essay Question 1
Please write a short essay about why you are applying to the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Essay Question 2
Share with us a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. For example, if you are not currently completing a degree, please share your planned or current activities for this application cycle. You may also wish to include any impact that COVID-19 has had on your educational, research, or extracurricular plans. We suggest that you limit your text to about 300 words.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is the curriculum at UChicago 2 years preclinical?

I find it funny that Pritzker has a beer making club with the abbreviation of HOPS (Homebrewers of Pritzker Society)

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received a secondary yet? seems like they r pushing the II back a month

They posted an update about how their application process is changing due to covid on July 10th. Basically just said MCAT won’t matter as much to them, and everything is pushed back a month

They posted an update about how their application process is changing due to covid on July 10th. Basically just said MCAT won’t matter as much to them, and everything is pushed back a month
Huh interesting...do you have a link?

Last edited:
Last year the first II went out on July 8th (at least according to the SDN thread). I wonder if they’re pushing back a month from that (so August 8th), or a month plus the additional 2 week AMCAS delay (so late august)

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received

Essay Question 1
Please write a short essay about why you are applying to the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Essay Question 2
Share with us a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. For example, if you are not currently completing a degree, please share your planned or current activities for this application cycle. You may also wish to include any impact that COVID-19 has had on your educational, research, or extracurricular plans. We suggest that you limit your text to about 300 words.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So because the committee meetings are delayed by a month, this should be a low priority one right?

How do you create a phonetic spelling of a name lol

I always look on facebook lol, in the about you section you can add a name pronunciation, and they usually have a few suggestions and a recording of how each would sound, so you can pick whatever one works best

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like Essay Prompt 1 changed a bit and Essay 3 gives you an extra 100 words due to COVID-19.

Last year's prompt was more asking for diversity, this is more asking for why UChicago

They're actually identical if you check the prompts from 2019-2020. The prompts you are referring to are the ones from 2018-2019.

+10 International, Canadian, ORM

This is the only school I am applying to that does not have a hard word/character limit. Is 50 words over the suggested word count too much?

This is the only school I am applying to that does not have a hard word/character limit. Is 50 words over the suggested word count too much?
If it's all important and adds to your application, then keep it. I guarantee you that there is filler or unnecessary adverbs that may help shorten it if you cut them out!

MSTP applicant here, are we expected to hit the 550 word limit for Why UChicago?

Anybody's submitted application not showing up as completed because it was "not submitted"?
1595389398124.png

What are you guys putting for the additional info essay? A diversity essay? Or is it mainly meant for COVID and gap year info?

What are you guys putting for the additional info essay? A diversity essay? Or is it mainly meant for COVID and gap year info?
Put whatever you feel is more important to your application.

Anyone else get the Pritzker multicultural recruitment email and think it was an II just to be let down?? SMH

• Haha
Kinda strange bc Ive been complete since friday

Secondary received

Essay Question 1

Essay Question 2

how can I tell you my life story in 300 words?

• Sad
How do you create a phonetic spelling of a name lol
Apparently facebook will give you a phonetic spelling of your name. I had never noticed that before but Googled it, and sure enough. I also typed my last name into Google and searched for phonetic spelling, and a couple options showed up.

Are people using the full 550 word limit for the essays? I don’t want it to seem like I didn’t put effort in/don’t care but that just seems like a lot of words, especially for the Why Pritzker one, and I don’t want to just fill it up with fluff for the adcoms to read

Are people using the full 550 word limit for the essays? I don’t want it to seem like I didn’t put effort in/don’t care but that just seems like a lot of words, especially for the Why Pritzker one, and I don’t want to just fill it up with fluff for the adcoms to read
Some of these schools with 500-600 prompts, I just do around half or as much as I need to convey the point. At the end of the day, they have to read all that and I'm sure they would appreciate brevity.

Reactions: 1 users
Some of these schools with 500-600 prompts, I just do around half or as much as I need to convey the point. At the end of the day, they have to read all that and I'm sure they would appreciate brevity.
Yeah like get the point across, and when I'm done, I'm done! No need to give them extra fluff.

do you think we have to talk about a "support person" for the challenge essay? i personally didn't have one in my story, wondering if they'll care...

do you think we have to talk about a "support person" for the challenge essay? i personally didn't have one in my story, wondering if they'll care...
The prompt says to identify both coping skills and support person(s), which makes me think they do want that talked about, at least to some degree. In your story, did you share your challenge with someone while it was going on, or while you were overcoming the challenge? Even if you did not straight up say, "Hey, I need your help." Did you vent/talk to anyone or have a social support network that helped you out in anyway? You could try and tie that into it. If absolutely not, I think I would say something like how you would have utilized support of X,Y,Z in the situation and it might have been easier. I would maybe mention who you will rely on to overcome challenges during med school. I think that might be, in part, what they are trying to get at. Do you have someone you can get advice from, do you have a support network or realize the importance of one because med school gonna be tough, and they want to make sure you gonna take care of yourself and have people you have relied on in the past for support. That's my guess.

Last edited:
what types of “coping skills” are people talking about? i feel like i can’t think of any but trying on my support system, but that’s kinda covered by the other part of the question