2020-2021 University of Pennsylvania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also got the WL, guess the portal just took a while to update :( RIP, still no acceptances yet. Congrats to everyone accepted!
rip i guess i was wrong earlier im sorry :( wishing the best for you as well <3

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I also got the WL, guess the portal just took a while to update :( RIP, still no acceptances yet. Congrats to everyone accepted!
Dude if you got an interview here, there is a really good chance you will get something. I have faith!

Members don't see this ad :)
WLed through the portal, went ahead and accepted the position but won't be sending a LOI so unlikely that anything will change... Good luck to the rest of those who were also WLed and congrats to A'ed people!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Dude if you got an interview here, there is a really good chance you will get something. I have faith!
3 schools I interviewed at left to hear back from. My state schools ghosted me. But I appreciate it and will try to keep the faith!

Reactions: 1 users
A, I'm definitely surprised by this! I got the call about an hour ago.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
absolute mad lad, but i assume you have your reasons (for example: being a badass and/or god)
LOL i'm no badass/god; i want to defer a year for matriculation, and another school where i was accepted allowed me to do so. penn explicitly says that WL acceptees cannot defer matriculation. that's just how it is, i guess

Ummm the page that has the waitlisted status just disappeared for me... did this happen to anyone else?

wouldnt it be great if they just said the WL was a mistake and accepted all of us 🤔

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like bedtime came early.

angry cookie monster GIF

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
They have screwed up the entire decision release process they should really just accept everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Got the A call an hour ago from my faculty interviewer with initials CC.
No updates on portal or anything.
This is the only A I got so far while all other schools wl/rej me. Really happy right now. Definitely my top choice!
If you get an interview from Penn, you will definitely get something eventually. I am sending my best wishes to everyone.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Anyone else still getting calls recently or is all hope lost? Have been logging out of and into the portal all day and haven't seen any updates on it. Faculty initials were RTS and student was MP.

Just got the acceptance portal update for those still in limbo

wouldnt it be great if they just said the WL was a mistake and accepted all of us 🤔

Reminds me of Mayo's fake acceptance email sent to all interviewees in 2020; except if this were true it'd be a pleasant surprise :)

Last edited:
Got the call from faculty interviewer (KK) around 4pm today! Woohoo!!

• Love
Late to the party- I was actually so busy at work today I unknowingly sent my acceptance call to voicemail twice. Didn’t see my email until almost 6. Going to celebrate with an extra large bubble tea! Wooooo !!!!🙈😭

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Got the call from faculty interviewer (TB) around 2pm :)

• Love
Late to the party- I was actually so busy at work today I unknowingly sent my acceptance call to voicemail twice. Didn’t see my email until almost 6. Going to celebrate with an extra large bubble tea! Wooooo !!!!🙈😭
I got a large bubble tea to celebrate too!

• Love
can someone explain how the numbers add up? how is the waitlist only 250 ppl if nobody gets post-ii r's? or does penn only interview a small number of ppl to begin with?

Reactions: 1 users
can someone explain how the numbers add up? how is the waitlist only 250 ppl if nobody gets post-ii r's? or does penn only interview a small number of ppl to begin with?
pretty sure the 250 is inaccurate. it was probs 250 in the past before they started waitlisting everyone not accepted

lol at their best guess being “12-20” acceptances on the waitlist. i feel like at this point it’s better just to WD and move on

Does anyone know if Penn matches need-based scholarships from other similarly ranked schools?

Does anyone know if Penn matches need-based scholarships from other similarly ranked schools?
I feel like they would try their best to at least get close if not match it. Do you know when financial aid packages are supposed to be released?

I feel like they would try their best to at least get close if not match it. Do you know when financial aid packages are supposed to be released?
I asked the financial aid office and they said early April!

anyone have info on how Penn regards letters of intent from waitlisted students? (whether they like it, to what degree it makes a difference, or if it's better to send a LOI to a different school if it doesn't make a difference if everyone on the waitlist is sending one anyway)

anyone have info on how Penn regards letters of intent from waitlisted students? (whether they like it, to what degree it makes a difference, or if it's better to send a LOI to a different school if it doesn't make a difference if everyone on the waitlist is sending one anyway)
My understanding is that for most med schools (generally speaking), letters of intent are taken with a grain of salt and are non-binding. Additionally, there is usually very little movement from the penn waitlist. If the waitlist is as big as people think it is this year (i.e. they didn't reject anyone post interview) and you're like me, who is not sitting on any acceptances, I would strongly consider sending LOI to a different school that you are also excited about.
You should still send Penn an Update/Letter of interest though!

Last edited:

Here's Penn's match list this year y'all! Seems like the thoracic surg kids made a killing
i have always been wondering about this, how do you read a match list? I kept hearing about med students discussing "top-tier" residency programs but don't know how you make those judgments. Is there some kind of rankings for residency programs too? Similar to the US news rankings for med schools and colleges?

i have always been wondering about this, how do you read a match list? I kept hearing about med students discussing "top-tier" residency programs but don't know how you make those judgments. Is there some kind of rankings for residency programs too? Similar to the US news rankings for med schools and colleges?
There are a few lists, but they can be misleading and they're not transparent on what their criteria are, e.g. research, breadth of clinical training, etc. For example, Hopkins has the top-ranked DR residency in the country, but if you want to sub-specialize in pediatric DR afterwards, it's probably not the best place to go. BWH has the top-ranked psychiatry residency in the country, but some other residency programs are closer to a re-merging of psychiatry and neurology, with attendant impact on teaching emphasis -- how do you compare them? Etc., with, e.g. where you'll be practicing later (types of populations, cultures, billing structures, hospital set-ups [private, for-profit, private, not-for-profit and so on] etc. you come across).

Does anybody know if Penn offers merit aid other than the 21st century scholarship?

Just got the full tuition scholarship to Penn! Unbelievable

edit: turns out it also comes w/ full living stipend!!!! This is CRAZY

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users