*** 2021-2022 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In a bit of a dilemma here, just received an interview to a top choice program for me that only has an available date the same day as another solid mid tier program for me. their email states that if no dates are available more will open soon, so should I wait for more open dates? just don't want to wait and put myself at a disadvantage by not answering for a couple days, but also don't want to cancel the other interview if I don't have to. Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Asking a program to provide you for a change is ok if >3 weeks.... if you must within 2-3 weeks, it might be ok. Less than 2 weeks, it calls unnecessary negative attention to you.
thank you for the insight @Fencer ! it would be two weeks on the dot today and I was so excited when emailing them I would feel horrible cancelling. would it be reasonable to give it 24 hours to see if other dates open before making a decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Call and email the program coordinator asking for the possibility of rescheduling... asap. Given all of them are virtual interviews, pulling another candidate still shouldn't be too troublesome... Likely it is only rescheduling research faculty interviews...

Reactions: 1 user
if no dates are available more will open soon
They already said more dates will open soon. Instead of rescheduling an interview with a short notice, why dont you contact them to be sure there will be more dates open.

Here is the update as of 09/15

2022 National MDPhD Admission Actions.png

Reactions: 4 users
No, the software has an algorithm to provide the BEST outcome for each applicant. An applicant with IN, RJ, NA, NA, RS, and RS, will be classified as IN only, as it is the best outcome.

MA or WA or RA or DF > AC > IN > RS > WB > NA or HO > RJ or PR, etc...

MA-matriculation
WA-withdraw after AC
RA-rescinded AC
DF-deferral to future class
AC-acceptance
IN-interview
RS-request secondary
WB-withdraw before AC
NA- no action
HO-hold
RJ-rejecton
PR-preliminary rejection

No, the software has an algorithm to provide the BEST outcome for each applicant. An applicant with IN, RJ, NA, NA, RS, and RS, will be classified as IN only, as it is the best outcome.

MA or WA or RA or DF > AC > IN > RS > WB > NA or HO > RJ or PR, etc...

MA-matriculation
WA-withdraw after AC
RA-rescinded AC
DF-deferral to future class
AC-acceptance
IN-interview
RS-request secondary
WB-withdraw before AC
NA- no action
HO-hold
RJ-rejecton
PR-preliminary rejection
Thank you, I appreciate the clarification.

How interesting, only 185 individuals have received a single interview or more. This is very encouraging when compared to the self-report data on the interview invite thread. So those who have received any interviews at all only represent ~1/5 of the total number of applicants who will receive an interview. Truly demonstrates how self-selective the group that posts publicly here is.

Thank you for the data, this certainly gives promise that the application cycle has not even started for most applicants.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thank you, I appreciate the clarification.

How interesting, only 185 individuals have received a single interview or more. This is very encouraging when compared to the self-report data on the interview invite thread. So those who have received any interviews at all only represent ~1/5 of the total number of applicants who will receive an interview. Truly demonstrates how self-selective the group that posts publicly here is.

Thank you for the data, this certainly gives promise that the application cycle has not even started for most applicants.
I am also amazed to see that out of the ~1500 applicants only ~200 have interviews. There is definitely a lot more interview invites to come for those waiting as I believe there was about 700-800 people who matriculated last year (correct me if I am wrong).

Reactions: 1 users
I am also amazed to see that out of the ~1500 applicants only ~200 have interviews. There is definitely a lot more interview invites to come for those waiting as I believe there was about 700-800 people who matriculated last year (correct me if I am wrong).
Around 860? so assuming 1/5 of people get an interview but no acceptance, looking at a total of 1100-1200 total people who get at least one interview. And that is conservative, so maximum only a total of 1/5 of all applicants who will get an invite will get one. This isn't to say 1/5 of all invites have been sent out as those who are getting the first invites will continue to accrue more masses of invites. But what it does mean is if you have one invite by now, you are in the top fifth of applicants (or at least meet the criteria to be in the top fifth of the pile). And if you don't have an invite yet, there is literally zero reason to even be worried right now.

Keep in mind that most MD/PhD programs do not send admission actions to AMCAS; typically is their SOM admissions office. This mean that there is a lag between action occurring and being recorded. The system is very reliable for MD/PhD Applications, Acceptances and Matriculations, but not for Interviews. Not all of the SOM admissions officers record them into the system. I estimate that the number of interviewees is at least twice as big.

Keep in mind that most MD/PhD programs do not send admission actions to AMCAS; typically is their SOM admissions office. This mean that there is a lag between action occurring and being recorded. The system is very reliable for MD/PhD Applications, Acceptances and Matriculations, but not for Interviews. Not all of the SOM admissions officers record them into the system. I estimate that the number of interviewees is at least twice as big.
Thank you for the clarification on the data. I had thought it was an automatically generated data set based on actions within the application system as oppposed to reported by the programs individually. This certainly makes sense! Understanding the context surrounding charts is absolutely necessary for proper interpretation,. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I'm looking for some advice. I haven't received any interview invites, so I'm starting to get worried. I'm wondering if now is a good time to have my current PI send in a rec letter. I have been working in a lab full time since April 2021, but didn't include my PI's rec letter in my apps yet as I was planning on getting a letter from him once I've made more progress in my research. My application has included my past three PI's i've worked with tho.

I also think I submitted my secondaries a little too late (end of August, early September), so I'm wondering if I'm doomed for the rest of the cycle.

• Care
Ask your PI to send a letter addressed to the program director of all programs that have not rejected you. If you need to add schools, consider adding 5-10 large MD/PhD programs that are not MSTP and/or 5-10 MSTPs with lower competitiveness based upon AAMC FACTS table B-8 (use the Excel download). Select MSTPs from NIH website and rearrange the list by MSTP/non and Applicant/Matriculant ratios. Examine critically your application vs schools that you applied, and choose a few programs. There is still hope, but you need to act ASAP...
PM me if you need.

Ask your PI to send a letter addressed to the program director of all programs that have not rejected you. If you need to add schools, consider adding 5-10 large MD/PhD programs that are not MSTP and/or 5-10 MSTPs with lower competitiveness based upon AAMC FACTS table B-8 (use the Excel download). Select MSTPs from NIH website and rearrange the list by MSTP/non and Applicant/Matriculant ratios. Examine critically your application vs schools that you applied, and choose a few programs. There is still hope, but you need to act ASAP...
PM me if you need.
Im in a situation a bit different, fortunate and extremely grateful to have interviews, but do not have a current LoR from my PI (started the position unexpectedly 4 weeks after submitting primary). I was thinking of asking for one in Dec and uploading to AMCAS/including with an update letter. would you recommend him emailing the LoR to program directors and me mentioning the email in my update letter? Thanks!

Im in a situation a bit different, fortunate and extremely grateful to have interviews, but do not have a current LoR from my PI (started the position unexpectedly 4 weeks after submitting primary). I was thinking of asking for one in Dec and uploading to AMCAS/including with an update letter. would you recommend him emailing the LoR to program directors and me mentioning the email in my update letter? Thanks!

Congrats on your interviews! Starting a sustained post-bac/research experience during the interview season is in itself a substantial update. I would suggest sending an email to all programs that have not rejected you, and particularly those who offered you an interview. Ask them for a contact email for your PI to send a LOR. This is a one-two punch..., most effective in those who interviewed you.
Good luck!
Fencer

I am in a similar situation. I started a new research position a couple of months ago. It is going well so far. When would you consider it too early to ask for a letter of rec from my PI? If I have only been working in the lab for about 2 months, is that too early to ask for a letter of rec? I don't really know what is appropriate because I have never been in this type of situation. Any feedback would be appreciated!

All circumstances are different... you could only be in for 6 weeks but already made a lasting positive impression in the lab with new techniques or ideas, or you could be already in for 9 months in a large lab without your main PI even remembering your name. You could get an idea when you ask: would you be willing to write a strong LOR for me? Any hesitation in the answer is not a good sign.

All circumstances are different... you could only be in for 6 weeks but already made a lasting positive impression in the lab with new techniques or ideas, or you could be already in for 9 months in a large lab without your main PI even remembering your name. You could get an idea when you ask: would you be willing to write a strong LOR for me? Any hesitation in the answer is not a good sign.
Thank you for your thoughts!

Along similar lines, what does it mean if I don't get any rejections but not many interview invites either? Pretty much silence, and I applied to many as well. Do many schools "silently reject" MD/PhD applicants? If not, how long will they wait to officially reject me (if that is their plan)?

A paper I am an author on just got accepted and another is now in revision (hadn't been submitted when I sent in most of my apps). Does this merit an update or should I wait until October/November?

Manuscript acceptance that was not included in application or just described as in preparation is a major update. Send to all who have not rejected you.
Would "Manuscript in preparation" be worthwhile to include in an update for an applicant with no listed publications?

Manuscript in preparation is NOT an update from an applicant. Perhaps, it might have some value in an updated LOR by the PI, by recognizing that the applicant led a project. However, "in preparation" is just like saying "I am dreaming of being a physician-scientist", without actually accomplishing anything substantive (without the value of peer-review, which despite its flaws, often improves manuscripts).

Manuscript in preparation is NOT an update from an applicant. Perhaps, it might have some value in an updated LOR by the PI, by recognizing that the applicant led a project. However, "in preparation" is just like saying "I am dreaming of being a physician-scientist", without actually accomplishing anything substantive (without the value of peer-review, which despite its flaws, often improves manuscripts).
Absolutely, thank you for the clarification.

What about manuscript submission/newly in revision?

Until the cigar has lit... (ACCEPTED). Again, it is nice in an updated LOR from PI as compared to coming from an applicant. This is the frustrating business of our legacies... we are appreciated by what we brought ($) lately by our schools/departments, but our legacy is published manuscripts. This is why, despite all of their flaws, it is about papers, papers, papers. At my age, it only goes beyond to Contributions to Science, which is the spirit of the NIH Biosketch summary...

FYI - just a bit of malaise after 3rd Pfizer booster on left deltoid and Flu vaccine on right one... (I will be doing daily hospital rounds in a few weeks).

Based upon the national admission numbers, the number of 2022 MD/PhD applicants appears similar to the number in 2021. It is interesting that the 9/15 were exactly the same in both years. At end of cycle, we had 2067 applicants in 2021.

Now, this past week, we had a flurry of invites within SDN applicants. You should be reflecting on your success rate receiving invitations to Interview. Clearly, you only need 1 MD/PhD acceptance to be part of the national class of MD/PhD matriculants. My program has only sent 50% of invites for our interview slots. Some programs do things faster and some are slower with later interviews. Invitations are typically sent about 4-8 weeks prior to interview date. Examine the national calendar of MD/PhD interviews. Consider sending substantive updates to all programs that have not rejected you (this is only once or twice during the cycle). By now, you should all know my recommendation for adding schools based on competitiveness of applicants/matriculants from AAMC FACTS Table B-8. There is still time (but the window is closing) to add programs but check carefully the interview calendar and program deadline. Best of luck to all...

Based upon the national admission numbers, the number of 2022 MD/PhD applicants appears similar to the number in 2021. It is interesting that the 9/15 were exactly the same in both years. At end of cycle, we had 2067 applicants in 2021.

Now, this past week, we had a flurry of invites within SDN applicants. You should be reflecting on your success rate receiving invitations to Interview. Clearly, you only need 1 MD/PhD acceptance to be part of the national class of MD/PhD matriculants. My program has only sent 50% of invites for our interview slots. Some programs do things faster and some are slower with later interviews. Invitations are typically sent about 4-8 weeks prior to interview date. Examine the national calendar of MD/PhD interviews. Consider sending substantive updates to all programs that have not rejected you (this is only once or twice during the cycle). By now, you should all know my recommendation for adding schools based on competitiveness of applicants/matriculants from AAMC FACTS Table B-8. There is still time (but the window is closing) to add programs but check carefully the interview calendar and program deadline. Best of luck to all...
What do you consider a substantive update?

Many things that were NOT in your application including:
  • Manuscript - published (if not included in your application as accepted or more), in-press, accepted
  • Abstract - presented (if not included in your application), accepted
  • Completed grades/courses
  • Completed course of studies
  • New post-bac experience, particularly if research and lasting > 8 weeks
  • New honors received/awarded

Reactions: 3 users
Many things that were NOT in your application including:
  • Manuscript - published (if not included in your application as accepted or more), in-press, accepted
  • Abstract - presented (if not included in your application), accepted
  • Completed grades/courses
  • Completed course of studies
  • New post-bac experience, particularly if research and lasting > 8 weeks
  • New honors received/awarded
would a conference proceedings manuscript count as a journal article in this context?

Data updates: this cycle moving a little slower than I thought, despite the earlier start date compared to last year.

kaplan-meier iis.png

(last updated on 9/24/2021. Assumptions: around 370 interview invites reported on the interview invite forum for the 2021-2022 cycle, anonymous dates excluded - eg: II: 8/x)

I have 2 hypotheses:
1. This trend could be an artifact from people not posting until the end of the cycle (due to concerns of doxing, privacy, or they don't want to stress others).
2. Since schools are all doing virtual interviews, they are sending out interviews later. Getting an interview invite 2-4 weeks from the actual interview happens more frequently than in the past. Many schools are experimenting with new strategies this year. If you look at the MD/PhD Interview Calendar, schools like Duke, Penn, WashU, and Hopkins have weekly interviews with a smaller number of applicants per interview, so invites roll out more slowly and steadily over the cycle.

Also, if you're particularly interested in which days of the week to look out for, here's a pie chart. All png-formatted graphs can be found here.

EDIT: these numbers report the number of interview invites, NOT the number of applicants! The number of applicants reporting interviews on SDN is a much smaller number of 70-80 people per cycle. Again: the SDN data is unlikely to represent the 2000 annual applicants.

weekdays pie chart.png

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
@toofastdan Thank you for analyzing SDN data!!! A quality subset of all applicants... As disclosed in a disclaimer, one issue is that out of the ~370 SDNer applicants, some only begin to post until they feel more comfortable with their outcome (multiple INs or ACs), and adding their prior interview invites post-hoc rather than on-time.

The issue that I raised of reflecting on your own success, and consider adding schools is still valid. Even if you add this minute another program, there is a lag of several weeks for your application to be reviewed and be in the bucket of quality potential interviewees....

Last edited:
Even if you add this minute another program, there is a lag of several weeks for your application to be reviewed and be in the bucket of quality potential interviewees....
To add to this with one specific anecdotal example, just yesterday I received an E-Mail from a program director encouraging me to finish up my secondary application as “Although the deadline for completing the secondary application process is listed as December 1, we are likely to have allocated all of our interview seats for MD/PhD applicants by the end of October.”

So submitting today with a 3 week turn around for review may *just barely* get one reviewed before interview slots fill up, even if there is a later stated deadline.

Reactions: 3 users
This has been a strange year for MD-PhD IIs. As many have pointed out, it is probably due to the first year that the med schools "prepared" for virtual interviews. Although the 2020-2021 cycle was also virtual, the process was thrust upon the schools due to the pandemic. This year, all the schools have had 1 year of fumbling, and numerous months to properly prepare for such interviews.

Hence, it is not necessary to send out II 8 weeks in advance, as no plane tickets are purchased, no hotels are booked, etc. They can send out their II 2-3 weeks prior to the actual interview date. Those schools that will have their first interview date in November (e.g. Harvard, Yale) will probably send out most of their IIs in early to mid October.

Since they can send out IIs in fairly short notice, they may also be waiting for all the secondaries before finalizing their decision.

Remember - most schools only interview 50-90 students for their handful of MD-PhD slots. In previous years, many schools have used up all their interview spots, only to receive an amazing candidate late in the cycle, but unable to interview that person.

All of my rambling to simply say, relax. There is still plenty of time to receive IIs. There are probably 2/3 of the interview slots yet to be filled.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
This is an update about MD/PhD applications and admissions cycle as of last night's sync (10/01/2021) for 2022 MD/PhD Cycle.

Admission ActionMCATcGPA
TOTAL APPLICANTS1574512.53.72
Withdraw Before AC (WB)12515.33.83
Rejected group
Preliminary Rejection (PR)169510.73.65
Rejection (RJ)328513.43.71
Defer to Regular (DR)2521.53.87
Available - Passive
No Action (NO)137504.83.60
Hold (HO)26502.83.53
Available - Active
Request Secondary (RS)703512.73.73
Interview (IN)197517.13.85

The algorithm selects for each applicant, their best outcome and that is how they are classified.
Best action: MA,DF,EM,WA,RA > AC > AL > IN > RS > NO,HO > PR,RJ,DR

The size of the pool of MD/PhD applicants is similar than the 2021 AMCAS cycle, and slightly more than 2020 & 2019. Please keep in mind that the use of intermediate steps such as sending RS & IN are optional for schools. Not all MD/PhD programs end up contributing to that reporting, which is typically performed by the School of Medicine Admission Officer or their delegate.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
In past years, many programs required students do a "chalk talk" as part of their interview process. This was very feasible when interviews were in-person. With virtual interviews, this is much more difficult. As the season slowly marches forward, and as you guys prepare for your interviews, I am curious to know how many of your interviews are requiring a "virtual-chalk-talk"? And, to help other students prepare, which programs are requiring these presentations?

In past years, many programs required students do a "chalk talk" as part of their interview process. This was very feasible when interviews were in-person. With virtual interviews, this is much more difficult. As the season slowly marches forward, and as you guys prepare for your interviews, I am curious to know how many of your interviews are requiring a "virtual-chalk-talk"? And, to help other students prepare, which programs are requiring these presentations?
University of Texas Health San Antonio (STX) requires one.

As advice to help others on how to prepare, I created a group of like 20 something applicants where we were all able to do a screen share and do practice chalk talks (and other interview practice). Just an idea for anyone else, the chalk talk takes a fair amount of preparation, you can't just wing it.

Even when I prepared and re-prepared, I somehow still forgot to outright state what the hypothesis of my research was during mine until a follow-up question 💀 Advice being it is a good thing to have an interview practice group for.

This is an update about MD/PhD applications and admissions cycle as of last night's sync (10/01/2021) for 2022 MD/PhD Cycle.

Admission ActionMCATcGPA
Rejected group
Available - Passive
Hold (HO)26502.83.53
Available - Active

The algorithm selects for each applicant, their best outcome and that is how they are classified.

The size of the pool of MD/PhD applicants is similar than the 2021 AMCAS cycle, and slightly more than 2020 & 2019. Please keep in mind that the use of intermediate steps such as sending RS & IN are optional for schools. Not all MD/PhD programs end up contributing to that reporting, which is typically performed by the School of Medicine Admission Officer or their delegate.
So is this to say that there are still some 500-800 applicants this year compared to previous years who have not yet even submitted any primaries? Out of curiosity, what are the prospects for those whom have not yet submitted?

Admission ActionMCATcGPA
Rejected group
Available - Passive
Hold (HO)26502.83.53
Available - Active

Does this mean that only 12% (plus some because of inconsistent reporting) have been offered an interview?

Does this mean that only 12% (plus some because of inconsistent reporting) have been offered an interview?
I think there is quite a bit of under-reporting. The table shows that of the 1574 applicants, over 700 "secondaries requested". I cannot imagine that there are that many students who have not submitted secondaries and another 500-800 students who have not submitted primaries - especially in early October of the cycle.

Most MSTP applicants are not just type-A, but rather 72-point-bold-underline-all-caps-type-A ;)

Out of the 4 programs I have interviewed at and the other programs I have received interview schedules from, only 2 have required some form of chalk talk.

As stated above UT San Antonio requires a chalk talk. For UT San Antonio, you will have the option to either create a 1-page visual slide for your presentation or use Zoom whiteboard to conduct your chalk talk. You only get 7 minutes I believe. For me personally, I chose to utilize Zoom whiteboard. As a result, I brought a drawing pad in order to write neatly during my presentation. Using zoom whiteboard is probably the closet thing to an in-person chalk talk.

The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) also requires a chalk talk. However, for UAB, you submit it online before your interview day (about a week before). UAB gives you the option to create a 3-page presentation, and you are given 8 minutes I believe. For me, I asked if I could send in a recording of me using zoom whiteboard as I already had experience from my UT San Antonio interview. UAB allowed me to do that.

For the other programs I have interviewed at thus far (The Ohio State University and the University of Rochester), they did not require a chalk talk. However, I was asked in all my interviews to explain my research which seems expected.

I will comment on this thread if other programs I interview at in the future require a chalk talk and what the structure is of the chalk talk to help other applicants.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone happen to have a list of schools that send out rejections? I have not heard back from most of the schools I applied to (not IIs, but not rejections either). Which schools tend to send out rejections early, and which schools potentially never send out rejections? I just feel like I am being ghosted from most places, and I just want to know at which schools there might still be hope. For the record, I applied all over the place, so I am happy to hear about any schools because it might be on my list. Thanks!

if you search for past years rejections thread you can see which schools send out rejections when.

Does anyone happen to have a list of schools that send out rejections? I have not heard back from most of the schools I applied to (not IIs, but not rejections either). Which schools tend to send out rejections early, and which schools potentially never send out rejections? I just feel like I am being ghosted from most places, and I just want to know at which schools there might still be hope. For the record, I applied all over the place, so I am happy to hear about any schools because it might be on my list. Thanks!
Most schools don't go in order of date of receipt. I submitted in early July for UPitt and have not been rejected or interviewed, while other people who submitted later than be have been rejected or received interviews. So don't get let your hopes down!

Hi, applesauce14,

You might not yet have seen these threads below. There's a running list of rejections by school here:
And invites here:

As for being "ghosted", it might be useful to see last year's rejection thread to see the earliest reported rejection from some schools. Many don't send these until February or later.

I hope you hear some good news soon!