*** 2021-2022 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I have a question about application updates! Would it be appropriate to send application updates to our interviewers in addition to uploading them on the application portal? Especially in the case that one or more of our interviewers were directors of the program?
If there is the option to upload it to the portal and the school actually looks at updates, they will absolutely look at it as a group in the applicant review meetings. Sending individually to interviewers can be either annoying at worst or neutral at best, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

In general, what percentage of md/phd applicants do you think are actually rejected after the interview? Obviously it probably differs from program to program, but I am just curious. For example, if there are 15 candidates on interview day, how many rejected do you think?

In general, what percentage of md/phd applicants do you think are actually rejected after the interview? Obviously it probably differs from program to program, but I am just curious. For example, if there are 15 candidates on interview day, how many rejected do you think?
In my personal experience, not a lot of people get rejected after the interview, but I'm not sure of an exact percentage. Of course this will vary from school to school. Once you reach the interview stage, programs are usually serious about recruiting you. This means that for the people who don't make the initial acceptance after the interview, it's much more common to see people get waitlisted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
NYU new curriculum is very intriguing

1 yr pre clinical
1 yr clinical
then step1/2
then grad school phase

Very enticing

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
NYU new curriculum is very intriguing

1 yr pre clinical
1 yr clinical
then step1/2
then grad school phase

Very enticing
duke has been using this system for quite a while, looks awesome I agree!

Hi everyone! I am practicing for an upcoming Chalk Talk, and I am wondering if anyone has any advice for someone who is not super good with online/interactive drawing? I believe I have an option to prepare a drawing in advance, so this might be a better option for me. I am just curious if anyone has had any experience with Chalk Talk this season, and what you have found to be the easiest approach without the physical chalkboard. I kind of like the idea of preparing a figure beforehand, but it would also be nice to draw in the moment in case I am asked a specific question about my research. I would love to hear about how anyone else has approached Chalk Talk this season. Thanks!

Hi everyone! I am practicing for an upcoming Chalk Talk, and I am wondering if anyone has any advice for someone who is not super good with online/interactive drawing? I believe I have an option to prepare a drawing in advance, so this might be a better option for me. I am just curious if anyone has had any experience with Chalk Talk this season, and what you have found to be the easiest approach without the physical chalkboard. I kind of like the idea of preparing a figure beforehand, but it would also be nice to draw in the moment in case I am asked a specific question about my research. I would love to hear about how anyone else has approached Chalk Talk this season. Thanks!
I did a hybrid of the two. I prepared a pre-made diagram that had missing components that a drew in. I think the presentation went very well - at least the feedback from my practice group said as much. Were I do do it over again, I would have been a alittle more in-depth and maybe talked a tad faster just to ensure that the actualy science was conveyed....however i think this hybrid mechanism can work well.

does anyone know when IIs for non-basic science applicants should start to pick up? i’ve heard it’s later but not sure how late.

Do a sizable number of applicants who already have acceptances to schools actually start to withdraw from later interviews they have already scheduled prior to the interview happening?

Do a sizable number of applicants who already have acceptances to schools actually start to withdraw from later interviews they have already scheduled prior to the interview happening?
It does happen, particularly for the Jan/Feb interviews. However, this might be only 10-25% of those invited for those slots. I personally wished that there is no way for applicants to received their 6th acceptance. Which means that at all times, once you get to 5 ACs, you must drop one so that you have an open slot for your "dream" school. In prior cycles, I always had an accepted applicant carrying 8+ ACs, clogging the system.

Reactions: 6 users
It does happen, particularly for the Jan/Feb interviews. However, this might be only 10-25% of those invited for those slots. I personally wished that there is no way for applicants to received their 6th acceptance. Which means that at all times, once you get to 5 ACs, you must drop one so that you have an open slot for your "dream" school. In prior cycles, I always had an accepted applicant carrying 8+ ACs, clogging the system.

I agree with @Fencer regarding such a limit. Not really sure the optimal number, but there definitely should be a limit.

Many applicants just hope to get 1 or 2 interviews, but the top applicants (e.g. who apply to 30 and get 25 interviews) clog up the system for the rest of the crowd.

On the residency match side, Ophthalmology does something similar. You can apply to as many as you want, BUT, you can interview at a maximum of 18 programs. Although 18 may seem like a lot, just having a limit prevents applicants from clogging up the system.

Remember, there are a fixed number of interview slots at each program. If 10% of the slots are filled up by top applicants at 15 schools, that means numerous other applicants won't even receive an interview at most of these schools - which is quite unfortunate.

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know when IIs for non-basic science applicants should start to pick up? i’ve heard it’s later but not sure how late.

I understand the pain and anguish of waiting!

In most programs, the committee that screens the applicants are usually in the basic science departments. They usually have no interest in the non-basic science applicants. Hence, there is an intrinsic selection bias - not good or bad, just the way it is.

Since there are very few non-basic science applicants, many programs usually wait until all the secondary submissions of such applicants are completed - which would be around late October / early November for most programs. They then review these applicants as a separate pool, and hence the later interview invites.

A couple of years ago, I was told that one of the northeast MSTP programs receives around 50 such applicants, and interview around 15. There is a reason why the interview season stretches into February. It does not end in November!

And with virtual interviews, they only need to give you 2 weeks notice as flights / hotels are not an issue.

Sooooo, stay positive, let the system play out. If you have any updates, send them an update within the next few weeks. My sixth sense tells me that you will have 5 new letters after your name in a few short years ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been withdrawing (as I literally have 6 ACs like Fencer said). The problem was that I had a lot of interview invites early in the cycle (like in the first wave of interviews for a particular school) and therefore attended all of them as I had not heard back from my top choices yet. Even though I have heard back from many schools that I interviewed with and would likely go there, my application is still in the place after an interview but before a decision is released for several schools. Therefore, I have been canceling all future interviews, except for a single school.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
I have been withdrawing (as I literally have 6 ACs like Fencer said). The problem was that I had a lot of interview invites early in the cycle (like in the first wave of interviews for a particular school) and therefore attended all of them as I had not heard back from my top choices yet. Even though I have heard back from many schools that I interviewed with and would likely go there, my application is still in the place after an interview but before a decision is released for several schools. Therefore, I have been canceling all future interviews, except for a single school.
You are literally my hero! Huge congratulations with your success, future double doc!

No apologies are needed. You did the best choice with the best information that you had a that time. You are also showing a level of professionalism that should be expected in our profession. Thanks... and Congratulations!

Reactions: 2 users
Due to certain life situations out of my control, I might have to just pursue a MD over a MD-PhD because I can't go to school for 8-10 years while my life implodes, not sure.

I was wondering what would happen if you get into a program and then request to be swtiched to MD only rather than just MSTP, before matriculation. Would they rescind your offer altogether?

@Neuronix

@Fencer
This is quite rare, but it has happened twice in my program; in both cases, the students enrolled in medical school without prejudice. The MD-PhD program is not of itself a degree granting entity, it is a pathway (albeit with many enhancements) that connects two degree granting entities, the medical school and the graduate school. MD-PhD students are admitted to the medical school and the graduate school, and have all the rights of MD and PhD students. When a student decides to withdraw from one of the schools (usually the graduate school) they do not forfeit their rights to continue to attend the other school. I would think other schools would have the same take on this.

If they drop to SOM only between AC and matriculation, they do not count against the MD/PhD program or the applicant. If they drop after matriculation, then, it could be noted in their MSPE (Dean's letter) and it counts against the MD/PhD program as attrition. Therefore, have a very sincere discussion with the PD before matriculation, preferably prior to April 30 to allow them add another applicant into your slot. This is not an exact science but open communication between trusted parties leads to better outcomes for all involved in the process...

I never expected going into this cycle that it would go this well. I am beyond grateful for the amount of interviews and acceptances I have received thus far. However, I recognize that my success could be hurting other applicants.

As a result, I have withdrawn from as many upcoming interviews albeit I have already completed most of my interviews prior to my acceptances. In addition, during this week, I will have the free time to sit down with my family and start withdrawing from schools I already have received acceptances from and schools I am waiting to hear back from Post-I.

I thought I would make this statement here to hopefully comfort those still waiting to receive their first acceptance while acknowledging the position I am in and the responsibility I have to this community to withdraw from programs as soon as I have determined they will not be the best place for my MD/PhD training.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 23 users
They usually have no interest in the non-basic science applicants.
In your experience, are applicants who are interested in traditional graduate programs but non-traditional research formats included in this group?

ie: I am interested in Cancer biology and immunology graduate programs, but am very well defined on wanting to do translational research and some clinical trials work (like applications research instead of pure discovery science). From a pure basic-science screener, could that be negative?

Edit to clarify: while not yet accepted my cycle is going well so far, just noticing odd trends in my cycle and schools to hear back from when compared to my peers

Last edited:
In your experience, are applicants who are interested in traditional graduate programs but non-traditional research formats included in this group?

ie: I am interested in Cancer biology and immunology graduate programs, but am very well defined on wanting to do translational research and some clinical trials work (like applications research instead of pure discovery science). From a pure basic-science screener, could that be negative?
PM me ... we can discuss in more depth, with more context

I'm wondering what the reception would be to update letters/letters of interest post-interview without necessarily having substantive updates. I've interviewed at some of the programs highest on my initial list and want to really emphasize my interest, especially after my interview experiences, but haven't started any new activities, published, or had significant updates since my secondary/interviews.

Some very broad questions: 1) is it bad/unusual to NOT send updates throughout the cycle if you've interviewed? 2) Is it frowned upon to update/send letters of interest without the conventional update contents? 3) are letters of interest impactful in any way after you've interviewed? 4) what realistically can be done to maximize chances following an interview at a specific program especially with this year's interview formats/schedules?

Reactions: 8 users
In my MSTP, while we still consider academic benchmarks (plus LORs, essays, experiences, etc.) through out the process, every single interviewee has a realistic chance for an acceptance despite low academic benchmarks. We do not do courtesy interviews, interviewees earned their invitation.

Reactions: 5 users
Is it frowned upon if your research interests don't match your clinical interests? All along I thought I wanted to go into oncology as a clinical specialty, and run a cancer biology lab. But recently I have become really interested in child psychiatry. So I guess my question is, realistically, is it feasible/practical to practice as a psychiatrist and run a cancer immunology lab?

• Hmm
I have an Interview on December 13th, but it has some non-mandatory Q and As/socials that happen next week. I am not really feeling the school, however the area is near my spouse's family and the interview may sway me (they have a terrible-to-navigate website so I know next to little about them). With the closeness to the interview in mind, is it too late to withdraw to open up the slot for someone else or should I just go and see if I like it as much as current acceptance?

Just keep in mind that your wife might remind you "forever" that you didn't give it a chance. :unsure:
Just keep in mind that your wife might remind you "forever" that you didn't give it a chance. :unsure:
“happy wife happy life” is a great philosophy to live by……But if I can give that slot to someone else, maybe *they* can have a happy spouse too…..or I can just tell her I went since she works that day and I don’t……..that won’t work lol

Beyond that, would it be too late for them to give the slot to someone else?

• Care
Every program is different. While interviews are virtual, withdrawing within a week or a couple of extra days might be hard to fill in... Given your recent AC (congrats!), now you have a hard comparator. You could withdraw from this and/or other programs based upon your personal circumstances. Your AC did not happen weeks or days ago, but just now... Say that in the email if there is no chance that this program will top your AC.

Hey everyone, I was looking for some advice on my current situation. I am applying to a few MD-only schools but mainly MD/PhD programs. I have had a fairly successful cycle so far (5 MD/PhD interviews and 1 acceptance as of now). However, I recently learned I was rejected from the MD/PhD program at the university I am currently performing my post-bacc research. This was fairly disappointing, for though I already have one acceptance, I was hoping to stay in the lab I am currently performing research in, for my projects very much interest me and I genuinely believe I am growing as a scientist. Furthermore, through previous discussions with my PI, we both believe I could graduate with a PhD in no more than three years given my current progress and multitude of projects I am working on (currently I have four independent projects, with one wrapping up for publication in the next week or two). Consequently, though I understand the benefits of joining an MD/PhD program instead of pursuing my PhD then my MD (or vice versa), given my current situation and potential expeditious obtaining of my PhD, I was wondering if obtaining my PhD in the lab I am currently in then going for an MD would be a viable option. Obviously, I have not committed to anything as of yet, but I am curious if any of you have input on my situation. Thanks!

@Fencer Since it's a new month, is there updated data on the cycle? Curious where we are right now.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone, I was looking for some advice on my current situation. I am applying to a few MD-only schools but mainly MD/PhD programs. I have had a fairly successful cycle so far (5 MD/PhD interviews and 1 acceptance as of now). However, I recently learned I was rejected from the MD/PhD program at the university I am currently performing my post-bacc research. This was fairly disappointing, for though I already have one acceptance, I was hoping to stay in the lab I am currently performing research in, for my projects very much interest me and I genuinely believe I am growing as a scientist. Furthermore, through previous discussions with my PI, we both believe I could graduate with a PhD in no more than three years given my current progress and multitude of projects I am working on (currently I have four independent projects, with one wrapping up for publication in the next week or two). Consequently, though I understand the benefits of joining an MD/PhD program instead of pursuing my PhD then my MD (or vice versa), given my current situation and potential expeditious obtaining of my PhD, I was wondering if obtaining my PhD in the lab I am currently in then going for an MD would be a viable option. Obviously, I have not committed to anything as of yet, but I am curious if any of you have input on my situation. Thanks!
You can definitely do that. It's just the difference of not having an integrated education (courses and other events connecting the philosophies of the MD and the PhD), and going into debt for an MD and not getting paid after doing your PhD. If I were you, I'd contact the MD-PhD program at your school and tell them about this situation that you're in--maybe they can reconsider, or give you an alternate path to their MD-PhD (i.e. maybe they say, enter our MD only program and then we'll heavily consider you to transfer into our program, etc.).

Here is an update as of 12/02/2021.

As of 12/02/2021ncGPAMCAT
Total MD/PhD Applicants17563.69511.5
Withdraw Before AC373.79514.5
Defer to Regular MD consideration173.81515.9
Rejected (PR,PW,RJ)8913.67511.3
At least 1 MD/PhD AC1603.84517.6
Available active (AL,RS,IN)4793.71511.8
Available passive (NA,HO)1723.57504.1

My MSTP still has interview slots for our last interview date. Once we select our cohort, we will send the last round of invites to interview, keep a couple of alternates for invitations, and will send our first round of rejections within a couple of weeks. The 2022 cohort will be smaller nationally than the 2021 class. Last year, we ended up with 2068 applicants, with over 850 accepted, and 750 matriculating into MD/PhD programs. Last year as of today (+/- 1 day), we had 2043 applicants already and 143 acceptances. We are experiencing a 14% decrease in the number of MD/PhD applications for the 2022 cycle (or better said, a return to normality as 2021 cycle had a 15% increase in the number of applicants). Therefore, if you are an applicant who has already interviewed, you are in a good shape. You will likely have several choices in the future. For those who already have ACs, particularly multiple ACs, consider withdrawing from program to release interview slots.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Here is an update as of 12/02/2021.

As of 12/02/2021ncGPAMCAT
Total MD/PhD Applicants17563.69511.5
Withdraw Before AC373.79514.5
Defer to Regular MD consideration173.81515.9
Rejected (PR,PW,RJ)8913.67511.3
At least 1 MD/PhD AC1603.84517.6
Available active (AL,RS,IN)4793.71511.8
Available passive (NA,HO)1723.57504.1

My MSTP still has interview slots for our last interview date. Once we select our cohort, we will send the last round of invites to interview, keep a couple of alternates for invitations, and will send our first round of rejections within a couple of weeks. The 2022 cohort will be smaller nationally than the 2021 class. Last year, we ended up with 2068 applicants, with over 850 accepted, and 750 matriculating into MD/PhD programs. Last year as of today (+/- 1 day), we had 2043 applicants already and 143 acceptances. We are experiencing a 14% decrease in the number of MD/PhD applications for the 2022 cycle (or better said, a return to normality as 2021 cycle had a 15% increase in the number of applicants). Therefore, if you are an applicant who has already interviewed, you are in a good shape. You will likely have several choices in the future. For those who already have ACs, particularly multiple ACs, consider withdrawing from program to release interview slots.
So, based on the fact that there are around 850 slots to fill and:
1638475521587.png

only 639 applicants have had any interviews at all. At a minimum:
1638475575302.png
1638475582711.png

~200 of these individuals have yet to even get their first interview that will lead to their acceptance, let alone the larger quantity that are yet to have even gotten their first interview who won't get accepted.

• Love
You can definitely do that. It's just the difference of not having an integrated education (courses and other events connecting the philosophies of the MD and the PhD), and going into debt for an MD and not getting paid after doing your PhD. If I were you, I'd contact the MD-PhD program at your school and tell them about this situation that you're in--maybe they can reconsider, or give you an alternate path to their MD-PhD (i.e. maybe they say, enter our MD only program and then we'll heavily consider you to transfer into our program, etc.).
Thank you for your advice!

So, based on the fact that there are around 850 slots to fill and:
View attachment 346360
only 639 applicants have had any interviews at all. At a minimum:
View attachment 346361View attachment 346362
~200 of these individuals have yet to even get their first interview that will lead to their acceptance, let alone the larger quantity that are yet to have even gotten their first interview who won't get accepted.
We do not have 850 slots. We have 750 slots, as people withdraw before/after acceptances some of those slots become available requiring a total of 850 acceptances to fill the 750 first-year positions.

what should we do if we got accepted into a program that isn't our first choice and we probably won't attend, but it's currently the only AC.

If we sign all the forms and pay the deposit is that binding?

And some PDs want to schedule zoom meetings and idk how to approach this considering 99 times out of 100 I won't be enrolling.

what should we do if we got accepted into a program that isn't our first choice and we probably won't attend, but it's currently the only AC.

If we sign all the forms and pay the deposit is that binding?

And some PDs want to schedule zoom meetings and idk how to approach this considering 99 times out of 100 I won't be enrolling.
If they are your only acceptance right now then they are the school you are enrolling in. It is not binding until you commit to enroll after April 30th or whatever. You may just end up out of the deposit. Just proceed on their timeline - although they shouldn't have any deadlines for you for several months - and withdraw if you get any other acceptances.

AMCAS rules are clear. You should act as if they were your only acceptance ever. However, you are able to continue interviewing and staying in waitlists, etc. Commit to enroll is a choice that students can choose to indicate that they have withdrawn from other programs and have chosen a place to matriculate. This choice is not available until April 30. Acceptances prior to April 30 are not-binding from the student point of view of whether they are accepting the offer or not (the school is legally committed).

The current suggested AMCAS guidance (i.e.: traffic rules) is that NO MD/PhD PROGRAM (early MD matriculation programs are an exception) can force you to COMMIT TO ENROLL (or lose/rescind the acceptance) until:
  1. 30 days prior to orientation and/or required school activities (i.e. day of Matriculation/start of classes), or
  2. May 15th
Now, the latter is a guidance based upon debate among PDs about what deadline as a community, we should all be following. Acceptance data shows that >98% of ACs have been given by this time. Last year, a program (not to be named) matriculated people around April 30. That was egregious... Potentially a low ranking program could be taking away an opportunity for an AC from a high ranking program without student consent. Now, the student could choose the low ranking program because the best world scientist in that area was there, but that is a student choice not made by the program without student consent.

We do not have 850 slots. We have 750 slots, as people withdraw before/after acceptances some of those slots become available requiring a total of 850 acceptances to fill the 750 first-year positions.

I guess I was basing off of this where there were 838 who had been accepted and did not withdraw after acceptance. Data as of June of last year immediately prior to matriculation. Is this not accurate or am I misinterpreting?

Edit: Correction, I see the later post where 841 were accepted but ~60 withdrew for around 780 spots.

NP. There were people still deferring to a later class or withdrawing and just registering into MD-only class. The final class was a round 750 spots. Keep also in mind that the person typically reporting this in the medical school admission office; despite the request of fast turn-around when these decisions are made, it is not uncommon to have delays resulting in a few ACs in July (total of 9). Now those often are people who finish their Goldwater or other fellowship that had led to the prior deferral.

NP. There were people still deferring to a later class or withdrawing and just registering into MD-only class. The final class was a round 750 spots.
How interesting that so many are deferring to MD only even just prior to the start of classes/summer rotations. I suppose I understand cold feet. Thank you for clarifying.

Regardless however, this means we still have 100 (as opposed to 200) at a minimum who still have not gotten their first interview. This is exciting.

Would you recommend now as a time for these individuals to send update letters?

What has been the PD perspective on virtual interviews now in year 2? Any discussion of some sort of hybrid system sticking around post-covid with virtual interviews and in-person second look?

There is a lot of discussion as to whether we develop a hybrid system. Obviously, we are following outcomes of selecting people in a virtual manner. Eventually they will be reported ... Unfortunately, anecdotes (positive and negative) significantly influence policy just as in our political system.

I just wanted to post a word of encouragement for anyone still worried about their cycle or not getting any interviews. I looked at my calculator that uses direct data from the list of all interview dates as reported by schools to see where we are at in the cycle.

As of today, 43.9% of all interview events remain (where an interview event is a single school holding an interview day, with the possibility of there being multiple interview events on a single day if multiple schools have them).

If schools are sending out interview invites an average of six weeks ahead of interview dates, including the holiday break, then 20% Of all interview invites remain, assuming we maintain a uniform number of people who accept those interview invites.

If schools are sending out interview invites an average of four weeks ahead of interview dates, again including holidays and assuming uniform acceptance of those invites, then 33.8% of all invites are left.

This information is over generalized, it is based on averages and not specific schools, many schools are already done with all interviews and more so are done with all interview invites. However, there are many schools only\predominantly interview in January, February, and even some in March. With that in mind, and under the presumption that most of the best applicants will have already gotten the majority of their invites, well we are more than halfway done with invites, there’s still between a fifth and a third left. it’s still too early to give up hope if you have none or few.

This is supported by the data that fencer has provided and I think should be encouraging to anyone losing hope. With that said, do continue to improve your application for the next cycle if you need to, do write update letters and letters of interest, and still act as though you are going to be a reapplicant until you have an acceptance in hand.

Calculator:

AAMC Calendar:

Edit: looks like I missed a few second look days. These shouldn’t affect the percentages by more than 1-2% But I will get those removed in a couple hours! Encouragement still viable!

Edit 2: fixed, correct numbers present. Barely changed. Be encouraged!

Last edited:
I just wanted to post a word of encouragement for anyone still worried about their cycle or not getting any interviews. I looked at my calculator that uses direct data from the list of all interview dates as reported by schools to see where we are at in the cycle.

As of today, 43.9% of all interview events remain (where an interview event is a single school holding an interview day, with the possibility of there being multiple interview events on a single day if multiple schools have them).

If schools are sending out interview invites an average of six weeks ahead of interview dates, including the holiday break, then 20% Of all interview invites remain, assuming we maintain a uniform number of people who accept those interview invites.

If schools are sending out interview invites an average of four weeks ahead of interview dates, again including holidays and assuming uniform acceptance of those invites, then 33.8% of all invites are left.

This information is over generalized, it is based on averages and not specific schools, many schools are already done with all interviews and more so are done with all interview invites. However, there are many schools only\predominantly interview in January, February, and even some in March. With that in mind, and under the presumption that most of the best applicants will have already gotten the majority of their invites, well we are more than halfway done with invites, there’s still between a fifth and a third left. it’s still too early to give up hope if you have none or few.

This is supported by the data that fencer has provided and I think should be encouraging to anyone losing hope. With that said, do continue to improve your application for the next cycle if you need to, do write update letters and letters of interest, and still act as though you are going to be a reapplicant until you have an acceptance in hand.

Calculator:

AAMC Calendar:

Edit: looks like I missed a few second look days. These shouldn’t affect the percentages by more than 1-2% But I will get those removed in a couple hours! Encouragement still viable!

Edit 2: fixed, correct numbers present. Barely changed. Be encouraged!

Awesome, thanks for this! To make visualizing interview dates at specific schools easier, I created a google sheet. Color coded red for past dates, yellow within the next month, and green for more than a month away. (Source, thanks to notsabel for inspiring the idea and initially converting the ics to a raw csv)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Awesome, thanks for this! To make visualizing interview dates at specific schools easier, I created a google sheet. Color coded red for past dates, yellow within the next month, and green for more than a month away. (Source, thanks to notsabel for inspiring the idea and initially converting the ics to a raw csv)

@Me wanting to do this for months but only knowing excel not any coding. You’re the chief, thanks for this! Do the colors update every day?

Also note for anyone confused about UMas having so many dates - they do MD only one week then MD/PhD the next week. So their “interview day” takes up a minimum of two days (not to mention the other two mandatory sessions on different days plus 2 optional sessions on two other days….but who am I complaining to…..)

In a prior post, I indicated 6 weeks (for the time interval between invite and interview) during most of the interview cycle, I suggest that for Dec. use 8 weeks. This is due to the fact that: 1) essentially all MD/PhD program application deadlines have passed, and thus, programs have a very good idea of their applicant pool; 2) in addition, the winter holidays are coming, which are often dead time in the process. We intend to invite our final round of interviewees early next week, and keep a few alternates. In prior years, we get a few cancellations for Jan./Feb. which are replaced by the alternates as late invites. Each program has a slightly different application flow, some have completed their selections altogether and some are 3/4 thru by mid-December.

In a prior post, I indicated 6 weeks (for the time interval between invite and interview) during most of the interview cycle, I suggest that for Dec. use 8 weeks. This is due to the fact that: 1) essentially all MD/PhD program application deadlines have passed, and thus, programs have a very good idea of their applicant pool; 2) in addition, the winter holidays are coming, which are often dead time in the process. We intend to invite our final round of interviewees early next week, and keep a few alternates. In prior years, we get a few cancellations for Jan./Feb. which are replaced by the alternates as late invites. Each program has a slightly different application flow, some have completed their selections altogether and some are 3/4 thru by mid-December.
Do you think schools sending new interviews out for February and late January dates might be balanced out by last-minute filling of slots? for example, if I cancelled one of my Jan interviews, would it be filled? Or if someone cancels for late December?

While cancelling interviews is a luxury, is it not as common as we think?

Last edited:
In general, cancellations within 2 weeks from interview might not be easily filled despite the virtual format. Programs try to pair applicants with faculty of at least the same overall discipline (i.e.: Cancer, Neuroscience, etc.), and that is one of the barriers. The two major peaks for ACs are in December and February. The December peak influences withdrawals for January/Feb interviews. By end of December and February, >45% and >75% of eventually accepted MD/PhD have received at least one MD/PhD acceptance, respectively. At the moment, we only have 172 applicants with a MD/PhD acceptance.