2021-2022 Meharry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only thing I ever got from them was the very first day of submission (6/25).

On behalf of the School of Medicine Admissions Committee, I wish to thank you for the time and effort taken in submitting your application for admission to the School of Medicine at MeharryMedical College. This e-mail is to acknowledge receipt of your 2021 AMCAS electronic application. You will receive further communication regarding next steps as the admissions committee reviews your application. Thank you for your patience during the review process as the committee completes a holistic evaluation of your credentials.

Otherwise, silence.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Still looking for a secondary to this school? I applied in 2017 and received one but this year nothing?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
same still waiting. I think they haven't released it again. They only released it to some people back in June.

I also haven't received a secondary despite submitting the primary in June. I emailed them today asking about secondary application delays/whether they sent one and I missed it/if there's a screening process and got hit with an automatic reply email lol. For those who are in the same boat and haven't asked admissions, this is the first FAQ.

"Thank you for your interest in Meharry Medical College and for contacting the Office of Admissions & Recruitment. This is to confirm receipt of your email. The Office of Admissions & Recruitment is experiencing a higher than usual volume of phone calls and emails. Here are a few frequently asked questions to assist you:

When will I receive a secondary application or interview invitation?

You will receive further communication regarding next steps as the admissions committee reviews your application. If you have not received the secondary application yet, your application is still under review. Invitations to interview are sent to selected students after a thorough and holistic review of your application by the admissions committee. It is not necessary to follow up as you will be notified by email of next steps. Thank you in advance for your patience. We look forward to connecting with you soon!"

...so I guess we continue to wait.

Reactions: 1 users
Be prepared to possibly not receive a secondary. I didn’t last cycle but I did this cycle.

• Sad
Current M1 at Cooper (which I love so far), but also received an interview invite at Meharry. I was complete at Meharry in late September because they sent out secondaries super late in late September last year. And then I didn’t receive an interview invite (II) until late May!! So don’t worry if you’re complete but haven’t received an II yet!

Also, consider applying to Cooper too even if you’re out of state (it’s in NJ, right next to Philly), PARTICULARLY if you have a strong service background! I was OOS and I still applied to Cooper and I’m so happy I chose it. I live in Philly (Center City, along with about half my classmates) and I have a 15 min commute to Cooper. And it’s a smaller class size with more individualized attention and early patient interaction (all students are required to work at free community clinic). And it’s not too late to apply if you submit soon, because they truly take a holistic look at each student!

Current M1 at Cooper (which I love so far), but also received an interview invite at Meharry. I was complete at Meharry in late September because they sent out secondaries super late in late September last year. And then I didn’t receive an interview invite (II) until late May!! So don’t worry if you’re complete but haven’t received an II yet!

Also, consider applying to Cooper too even if you’re out of state (it’s in NJ, right next to Philly), PARTICULARLY if you have a strong service background! I was OOS and I still applied to Cooper and I’m so happy I chose it. I live in Philly (Center City, along with about half my classmates) and I have a 15 min commute to Cooper. And it’s a smaller class size with more individualized attention and early patient interaction (all students are required to work at free community clinic). And it’s not too late to apply if you submit soon, because they truly take a holistic look at each student!
This just makes me feel worse tbh. Meharry is one of my top choices,
I’d hate to miss my opportunity to attend due to a slow application process

I also applied there and am so glad to here this positivity tbh!

This just makes me feel worse tbh. Meharry is one of my top choices,
I’d hate to miss my opportunity to attend due to a slow application process
Aww I’m sorry… I know it’s such a tough process because it’s all a waiting game. And unfortunately, Meharry always seems to be a little behind. But hopefully a year from now it’ll be a distant memory!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if Meharry sends supplementals to everyone or just people who they are considering?

I’m guessing no one has received anything

I’m guessing no one has received anything
Primary submitted 6/31, still no word on a secondary just that my app was under review. However apparently some people have received a secondary.

I inquired about the secondary app a month ago and they said they haven't released secondaries (somehow except to some) and they expect them to be released in early fall.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
I inquired about the secondary app a month ago and they said they haven't released secondaries (somehow except to some) and they expect them to be released in early fall.
exaactly, same here. so idk how the some got them in June. Unless what I'm thinking is that they decided to change the questions or platform, so maybe the ones that submitted them may have to redo them? idk.

Wild theory, but I think I only got the Meharry secondary because I applied to Wake Forest as well. They're using the same software, so if you log in to the Meharry portal, you'll also see your Wake Forest application. My primary was verified on 8/1, and both schools were the first to invite me to complete their secondaries by the end of the hour on the same day. Anyone else who got secondary from Meharry, did you also apply to Wake Forest?

If this is true then it's 100% their fault: take the advice that they'll only be sending their secondaries later this month, I'm certainly not going to get more consideration just because I happened to have the secondary submitted last month when it wasn't meant to come to me until everyone else got it.

Last edited:
Once you submit your secondaries, the online portal on ApplyWeb will look like this. If you log into the Wake Forest link to check your application, you'll see this. If you log into the Meharry link, you'll also see this. This might answer the inconsistencies between who's getting the secondary and who isn't as of right now, perhaps it's a tech issue :/

1631551727246.png

Wild theory, but I think I only got the Meharry secondary because I applied to Wake Forest as well. They're using the same software, so if you log in to the Meharry portal, you'll also see your Wake Forest application. My primary was verified on 8/1, and both schools were the first to invite me to complete their secondaries by the end of the hour on the same day. Anyone else who got secondary from Meharry, did you also apply to Wake Forest?

If this is true then it's 100% their fault: take the advice that they'll only be sending their secondaries later this month, I'm certainly not going to get more consideration just because I happened to have the secondary submitted last month when it wasn't meant to come to me until everyone else got it.
Interesting theory, I was also one of the ones to receive a secondary and I did indeed apply to Wake Forest as well!

That’s a solid maybe. I got a secondary and I did apply to WF as well.

I applied wake too but no secondary.

• Hmm
I applied wake too but no secondary.
When was your complete date for Wake? What day did you get your wake secondary? Depending on when you submitted it maybe they caught and fixed the issue after 8/1 which is when I subbed both Wake and Meharry.

When was your complete date for Wake? What day did you get your wake secondary? Depending on when you submitted it maybe they caught and fixed the issue after 8/1 which is when I subbed both Wake and Meharry.
Wake secondary received early July and complete mid july. Primary app was verified in May.

Wake secondary received early July and complete mid july. Primary app was verified in May.
@ggg_444 and @peaceloveandmedicine what days were you guys complete?

Either way I don't think you would need to worry. We almost definitely weren't supposed to get secondaries until whenever they actually send those out, so we won't be evaluated until they do.

@ggg_444 and @peaceloveandmedicine what days were you guys complete?

Either way I don't think you would need to worry. We almost definitely weren't supposed to get secondaries until whenever they actually send those out, so we won't be evaluated until they do.
I was verified 7/26, received Meharry secondary 7/27, completed 7/28. I wasn't even complete for Wake until 8/10.

I was verified 7/26, received Meharry secondary 7/27, completed 7/28. I wasn't even complete for Wake until 8/10.
I don't think you need to be complete for Wake to get the Meharry secondary because neither was I, just tryna get info. Either way I think it was a mistake, we shouldn't have gotten those so soon lol

I don't think you need to be complete for Wake to get the Meharry secondary because neither was I, just tryna get info. Either way I think it was a mistake, we shouldn't have gotten those so soon lol
+1 got Meharry’s secondary 06/25; submitted 07/05. Didn’t add Wake to AMCAS until 08/10. I think it’s a mistake too but I hope we don’t have to resubmit. (and they already took our $100 lol)

Mmmm, IDK.

I applied to both as well. WF send me a secondary Immediately, the first school to do so when I was verified on 8/19. An hour after my WF secondary I received confirmation that Meharry received my AMCAS application, but no secondary.

Oh my bad, I think I misunderstood lol but yeah I agree probably just a mistake on their end

For whatever it's worth, of 34 secondaries, theirs was the only one to go to my spam folder. I'm sure you guys already checked that though lol. I highly doubt they are reviewing those of us that already submitted so there's no disadvantage to having not gotten it as yet. Patience, young grasshoppers!

Mmmm, IDK.

I applied to both as well. WF send me a secondary Immediately, the first school to do so when I was verified on 8/19. An hour after my WF secondary I received confirmation that Meharry received my AMCAS application, but no secondary.
Well alright, I guess it just means my theory doesn't hold up since now one person applied before me and one after me who applied to both but didn't receive a Meharry secondary so ignore me ig. It was interesting to think about at least

My hope ends here. Come on Meharry .

Ps. They definitely sent secondaries to some of us two months ago. I got a confirmation email so that’s weird they are denying it. Maybe it was in error? I just hope we don’t have to complete a second time

Does anyone know if Meharry looks at GPA trends? My undergraduate GPA is below a 3.5 (very low because life happens). I completed a SMP with a 3.9 GPA. When I called the office the staff seemed confused and just kept repeating they only look at undergraduate GPA. She gave me contact information for the Director of Admissions but he has not replied to my email or phone call. So does anyone know if Meharry would give me serious consideration? Bonus points if you're an ADCOM at Meharry.
Hey! I was just browsing the thread and saw your question. I am an M1 at Meharry right now and I can assure you that your GPA is not the most important thing in your application. I had an undergrad cGPA under 3.5 and my science GPA was atrocious (trust me, I know how life can happen). I did no post-bacc, just a gap year. They really do have a holistic approach to applicant review so don't give up!

Hey all! A few encouragements and recommendations from someone who recently went through the application process (last cycle) and got in:
1. Get ready for the long haul. I wasn't accepted until a few weeks before classes began and others in my class got accepted in the week before.
2. Don't pay attention to when you completed and when someone else completed. Even if they got a secondary or II before you and you submitted before them. They don't do it based on when you submit your applications.
3. I do not believe they actually have a screening program or system. I had a low GPA and a really low sGPA, but the rest of my app made up for it. So don't think they're counting you out!
4. Sad to say, but trying to contact them probably won't get you anywhere. I don't think they give individual updates and the people who answer the phone in the office are not involved in the actual admission process so they can't help you. But the upside is, Meharry will tell you if you've been rejected. No matter how late in the cycle it gets (and it could get down to the wire), if they haven't said no, you're still in the running. Some people even get accepted after the year begins.

Feel free to ask me about anything else! I might not know the answer, but I'll answer as best I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hey all! A few encouragements and recommendations from someone who recently went through the application process (last cycle) and got in:
1. Get ready for the long haul. I wasn't accepted until a few weeks before classes began and others in my class got accepted in the week before.
2. Don't pay attention to when you completed and when someone else completed. Even if they got a secondary or II before you and you submitted before them. They don't do it based on when you submit your applications.
3. I do not believe they actually have a screening program or system. I had a low GPA and a really low sGPA, but the rest of my app made up for it. So don't think they're counting you out!
4. Sad to say, but trying to contact them probably won't get you anywhere. I don't think they give individual updates and the people who answer the phone in the office are not involved in the actual admission process so they can't help you. But the upside is, Meharry will tell you if you've been rejected. No matter how late in the cycle it gets (and it could get down to the wire), if they haven't said no, you're still in the running. Some people even get accepted after the year begins.

Feel free to ask me about anything else! I might not know the answer, but I'll answer as best I can.
Do you know how late they send secondaries in the cycle? I know I never got one and I'm wondering if it's just a soft R at this point

I'm joining the wait as well. I just submitted my primary today. I was verified in June but I just now decided on applying to Meharry today. I'm very interested in their holistic approach to reviewing applications. By how these secondary releases are delayed, I actually think they really do take their time reviewing applications. Good luck to everyone.

I just got the email acknowledging that they received my primary 😂👯‍♂💅🏼

Reactions: 12 users