2021-2022 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Middletown Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can anyone post the prompts pls

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone post the prompts pls
Personal Statement: This Personal Statement is different than the essay that had been submitted with your AACOMAS application. Although there is no specified length to this essay, please limit the length of this Personal Statement to the space available on this page.

Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Consider addressing a few of the following areas: a) Why Osteopathic Medicine? b) Have you been exposed to a diverse environment and how did you contribute? c) How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? or d) How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know how impactful the Casper scores will be on the admissions process? I scored third quartile which I assume is average.
A lot of schools seem to be using it for data collection purposes, not sure about Touro specifically though

Members don't see this ad :)
So if i accidentally uploaded the application on the portal, and ALSO emailed the admissions office, am i screwed or is it okay because they received my application through the email?

So if i accidentally uploaded the application on the portal, and ALSO emailed the admissions office, am i screwed or is it okay because they received my application through the email?
It’s ok :)

II!! First one of the cycle and extremely excited. Dates available in September, october and November. Complete 8/30.

Postbac gpa: 3.9
Cumulative: 3.46
Science: 3.46
MCAT: 508

Tons of clinical experience

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an II! OOS 3.4 GPA <500 MCAT. Good amount of research + community service. Incredibly grateful and excited!

Reactions: 2 users
II earlier today!! IS 508 mcat submitted, complete 8/17, supplemental application acknowledgement email 8/31

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to confirm, I do not have to upload anything on the Personal Statement tab in the secondary application. All I have to do is fill out the first 4 tabs of the secondary and then click submit, and email the word doc to the email it has in there.

Just to confirm, I do not have to upload anything on the Personal Statement tab in the secondary application. All I have to do is fill out the first 4 tabs of the secondary and then click submit, and email the word doc to the email it has in there.
yup!

Received an II tonight! OOS but from CT. Secondary submitted 8/17 but they needed a syllabus from one of my pre req classes today. I sent it immediately and a few hours later got the II!

II an hour ago! OOS. 504 s3.6. Sec completed 08/17. Late Oct and Nov dates available in my email.

Edit: No Sep dates mentioned in my email. I did Duet but did not do Snapshot. My Casper was is the lowest quartile (THERE IS HOPE!!!!!)

Last edited:
just got an II! LM 67 1st quartile casper LMAO

does anyone know the format of this interview? the email was kind of vague

just got an II! LM 67 1st quartile casper LMAO

does anyone know the format of this interview? the email was kind of vague
Congrats! The confirmation email (after you chose your date) will say it is a 2 to 1 open file panel interview. At least that's the case for me :giggle:

I submitted my secondary 8/19 and still haven’t gotten the confirmation. Should I call the office?

Submitted 8/23 and also havent heard back, i emailed them and they said to be patient and that it can take 4-6 weeks to process the application.
Weird how other people have gotten confirmation already though. Granted they were earlier than us., but only by like 5 days or so.

Hey y’all, I’m a first year here at Touro Middletown. If you have any questions I’d be happy to answer.

It looks pretty pricey in Middletown, at least to purchase a home. How’s the average rent?
I live in Monroe which is 20 minutes down the road (I pay $2000 in rent for a 3 bed 2 bath house). Some friends that live in apartments in Middletown pay around 1300-1500 for a 2-3 bed apartment. I would say it’s not as expensive as NYC but it’s pricey. The problem being, after covid, Middletown saw a huge influx of new residents which inflated living expenses. That is only getting worse as more people are moving here from the city (and we open a PA program in January).

I live in Monroe which is 20 minutes down the road (I pay $2000 in rent for a 3 bed 2 bath house). Some friends that live in apartments in Middletown pay around 1300-1500 for a 2-3 bed apartment. I would say it’s not as expensive as NYC but it’s pricey. The problem being, after covid, Middletown saw a huge influx of new residents which inflated living expenses. That is only getting worse as more people are moving here from the city (and we open a PA program in January).
For those of us who have no other option but loans, Touro's cost is a really big pill to swallow (Middletown, off-campus).

Yr 1: $104,030
Yr 2: $103,062
Yr 3: $112,946
Yr 4: $109,096

6% compound interest adjustment during those four years:

104,030*1.06^4 + 103,062*1.06^3 + 112,946*1.06^2 + 109,096*1.06 = 496,632

And 6% is a generous assumption. Rates are likely to go up in the near future.

Touro is no doubt a great school. But for those of us who need to take out full TCA and have cheaper options, why should we choose Touro?

Last edited:
For those of us who have no other option but loans, Touro's cost is a really big pill to swallow (Middletown, off-campus).

Yr 1: $104,030
Yr 2: $103,062
Yr 3: $112,946
Yr 4: $109,096

6% compound interest adjustment during those four years:

104,030*1.06^4 + 103,062*1.06^3 + 112,946*1.06^2 + 109,096*1.06 = 496,632

And 6% is a generous assumption. Rates are likely to go up in the near future.

Touro is no doubt a great school. But for those of us who need to take out full TCA and have cheaper options, why should we choose Touro?
In all honesty you need to prioritize what’s important to you in a school. If financials are the top of your list then don’t go, choose your cheaper option. However, if location, match rates, board pass rates, quality rotation sites, and plentiful research opportunities is on your list, then by all means choose Touro. I was accepted to 6 schools last cycle and touro was the 2nd most expensive option. However, the professors, distance to the city, and quality pre-clinical education drove me here. What a lot of people don’t factor in when they look at med school cost, is that hospitals pay back your loans when you’re hired as a doc. Both my parents work in healthcare admin and offer loan repayment options to physicians (common practice everywhere). Doesn’t affect pay rate, doesn’t affect RVU, doesn’t affect anything. I highly doubt you will ever touch your loans unless you go private practice. “I’m going to be forever in debt” is blown out of proportion. That may be true but you ain’t payin’.

Also, I pulled out $80K for my first year and I’m doing just fine. I have enough to go out every other weekend, groceries, gas and I live in a house with a roomy. There’s a lot of costs factored in by touro that are not needed. Almost everything here is provided and health insurance is optional with Medicaid or a parents insurance.

Last edited:
interview just now!!! so excited Touro is one of my top choices. In state & complete 9/23 (because of archived AP scores taking forever lol)

what was your interview day like and how was your interview?
Interview day started with a 2-3 hour intro an presentation by faculty (hyping up the school). Then I did my 2 on 1 interview with 2 faculty open file. It was the most laid back interview I’ve ever had haha. Then after interviews we had another quick presentation and a meet and greet with a former student.

Interview day started with a 2-3 hour intro an presentation by faculty (hyping up the school). Then I did my 2 on 1 interview with 2 faculty open file. It was the most laid back interview I’ve ever had haha. Then after interviews we had another quick presentation and a meet and greet with a former student.
I interview back in mid September. How would you describe the atmosphere and culture of the school? Do people hangout together a lot? Is it supportive?

I interview back in mid September. How would you describe the atmosphere and culture of the school? Do people hangout together a lot? Is it supportive?
The atmosphere is awesome. Everyone supports everyone and we all boost each other up. We have a discord and group message where we share exam study info, videos, quizzes and what not. Our class averages have been great this year too! So overall the academic support is really cool to see. Outside of school everyone hangs out weather that’s going to the bars, heading into NYC, playing basketball or volleyball at the YMCA, there’s just a ton. I highly doubt you’ll ever feel alone or without something to do.

Touro preaches the non-competitive environment a lot and I didn’t really believe it but once you’re here it is actually cool to see the complete 180 everyone makes from undergrad.

The atmosphere is awesome. Everyone supports everyone and we all boost each other up. We have a discord and group message where we share exam study info, videos, quizzes and what not. Our class averages have been great this year too! So overall the academic support is really cool to see. Outside of school everyone hangs out weather that’s going to the bars, heading into NYC, playing basketball or volleyball at the YMCA, there’s just a ton. I highly doubt you’ll ever feel alone or without something to do.

Touro preaches the non-competitive environment a lot and I didn’t really believe it but once you’re here it is actually cool to see the complete 180 everyone makes from undergrad.
I've heard that Touro doesn't really have basic science research opportunities. How true is this?

I've heard that Touro doesn't really have basic science research opportunities. How true is this?
A lot of the research we have is clinical based research with a few case studies here and there. This is because of the proximity of Garnett which is our major teaching hospital. They have quite a few different residency programs that love research. We do have quite a bit of basic science research as well. I know the pathology department and biochem professors do a ton of it. I’m sure if you got in contact with them they’d have a lot of basic science research you could do. We do have a wet lab as well as partnerships with laboratories across Orange County where you can partner up with a PHD and do wetlab research in things from vivarium research all the way to cancer research.

Did any of you guys receive the Touro Candidate interview packet? I have the interview tomorrow and have yet to receive the Candidate Interview Packet.

Thanks!!

Did any of you guys receive the Touro Candidate interview packet? I have the interview tomorrow and have yet to receive the Candidate Interview Packet.

Thanks!!
If you haven't received anything I would reach out to them. They were super nice and fixed any issues on my interview day. Also for my day they had sent us last year's packet because they had t updated it yet so they might just be finalizing it

If you haven't received anything I would reach out to them. They were super nice and fixed any issues on my interview day. Also for my day they had sent us last year's packet because they had t updated it yet so they might just be finalizing it
Okay great thanks for the info!