You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2025-2026 UT Rio Grande Valley
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1227475
+1 IS A
stalepitachips
Full Member
Would it be absolutely ridiculous to submit my secondary this week? This is the only Texas school I did not complete honestly because I forgot, but now with only 2 other IIs I want to submit in hopes of potentially receiving another II before the cycle ends. I literally don't know why I did not submit here since I am fluent in Spanish and have connections to the valley!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1090005
I don’t think so. I submitted later than most (early Sep) and got an interview within a week (probably cause of valley ties). I say go for it!Would it be absolutely ridiculous to submit my secondary this week? This is the only Texas school I did not complete honestly because I forgot, but now with only 2 other IIs I want to submit in hopes of potentially receiving another II before the cycle ends. I literally don't know why I did not submit here since I am fluent in Spanish and have connections to the valley!
How long since you finished your secondary? Do you have anything new to mention? If not, it won’t help to basically ask when they will decide about whether you get an interview 🙁Would it be appropriate to send in a letter of interest if haven’t heard for an interview?
stinkbot5000
Full Member
For anyone who has gotten the virtual interview invite, do you know how long it might take them to reload dates? I did not open my email for a couple hours due to work and there are no slots available right now. No big deal I am sure they will add some more options just wondering how often I should be checking, every hour or more like once a day?
CoffeeInScrubs
Full Member
sometimes they send you an email stating more slots have opened up. I got one before my interview!
stinkbot5000
Full Member
Answered my own question. There were spots available this afternoon just a few hours later. Leaving that info here for anyone interested.For anyone who has gotten the virtual interview invite, do you know how long it might take them to reload dates? I did not open my email for a couple hours due to work and there are no slots available right now. No big deal I am sure they will add some more options just wondering how often I should be checking, every hour or more like once a day?
I am in the same boat. I interviewed almost 2 weeks ago and I still haven't gotten an invite to the virtual interview despite seeing open dates on amp. How long should I wait before reaching out?Do they send out virtual interview invites in batches? I interviewed this past weekend and have not gotten an invite yet.
@sv260 and @lvilol reach out to let them know you have not been sent your interviews yet.I am in the same boat. I interviewed almost 2 weeks ago and I still haven't gotten an invite to the virtual interview despite seeing open dates on amp. How long should I wait before reaching out?
Reminding and being proactive is a must with this school. Politely and professionally of course
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS II, complete 8/14! I don't see any group interview dates open; how long should I wait and check if dates open up before emailing about it?
Try again during business hours tomorrowIS II, complete 8/14! I don't see any group interview dates open; how long should I wait and check if dates open up before emailing about it?
Several years ago (2022) DHR and UTRGV ended their working collaboration, and residency programs. DHR restructured some of them as independent DHR residencies.How did UTRGV end up with competition for clinical placements? DHR Health in Edinburg partners with UH to build new medical school campus
Last edited:
D
deleted1227475
If I were a med student attending here, how severe would the consequences of not having this partnership be? Is the worst case scenario that I would need to travel outside of the RGV for residency?Several years ago DHR and UTRGV ended their working collaboration, and residency programs, and DHR restructured some of them as independent DHR residencies.
I would say that most people do their residency in a different place than their medical school.If I were a med student attending here, how severe would the consequences of not having this partnership be? Is the worst case scenario that I would need to travel outside of the RGV for residency?
The difficulty would be in having scarce access to hospital training in your 3rd and 4th years of med school.
Forsaken_Spare_9179
Full Member
Would this mean that we need to do away rotations? If so, do we need to find these opportunities ourselves? Thank you, I am not sure how this works.I would say that most people do their residency in a different place than their medical school.
The difficulty would be in having scarce access to hospital training in your 3rd and 4th years of med school.
It's something you should ask about when you interview here, especially if you get the chance to have some truly candid conversations with upperclassmen students.Would this mean that we need to do away rotations? If so, do we need to find these opportunities ourselves? Thank you, I am not sure how this works.
huskypremed
Full Member
Based on last years thread-- is it safe to say they might be done with offering interviews this cycle?
No.Based on last years thread-- is it safe to say they might be done with offering interviews this cycle?
chickenlegs2020
Full Member
+1 IS II, complete 06/30
breadmed
New Member
I'm a first-year, so I can partially answer this as I've talked to a few MS3s and MS4s. We are assigned clinics throughout the Valley during clerkships, so we do have to travel to sites other than Edinburg (main campus). They only allow away rotations during 4th year, and the main specialities are taken care of by hospitals and clinics. There are some residencies in RGV if you are planning to stay (UTRGV Residency), but it largely depends on what specialty you want.Would this mean that we need to do away rotations? If so, do we need to find these opportunities ourselves? Thank you, I am not sure how this works.
carbonpickle
New Member
attending the group interview on 12/12, wondering if anyone might be driving north (Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Austin, etc) after the interview! im flying in and taking a bus to get to McAllen, but the next bus after the interview isn't until several hours after the interview ends
hondeezy02
New Member
submitted S 08/07, IS II received 11/12
Forsaken_Spare_9179
Full Member
Thank you for your input. Do you think future students will need to travel more for certain rotations now that there are more students with the new collab with UH for DHR Hospital?I'm a first-year, so I can partially answer this as I've talked to a few MS3s and MS4s. We are assigned clinics throughout the Valley during clerkships, so we do have to travel to sites other than Edinburg (main campus). They only allow away rotations during 4th year, and the main specialities are taken care of by hospitals and clinics. There are some residencies in RGV if you are planning to stay (UTRGV Residency), but it largely depends on what specialty you want.
UTRGV students have not been doing rotations at DHR since 2022, so the presence of other med students at DHR is irrelevant.Thank you for your input. Do you think future students will need to travel more for certain rotations now that there are more students with the new collab with UH for DHR Hospital?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have something new to update them with since you submitted you can try emailing that to them. The worst that can happen is they won’t read it.Hello! I’ve been trying to find info on whether UTRGV accepts update letters pre-ii, but I haven’t seen anything concrete. Does anyone know if they take them? Thanks!
D
deleted1227475
Does it become more difficult to match into a competitive specialty since UTRGV does not pair w/ DHR?
breadmed
New Member
Generally no, people still match throughout the country.Does it become more difficult to match into a competitive specialty since UTRGV does not pair w/ DHR?
UTRGV Match
superduperman7
Full Member
after you interview how long should you wait before giving an update letter or LOI
huskypremed
Full Member
Hope they send some more interviews this week
They might still be trying to get everyone who interviewed at an earlier time a virtual interview spot - I interviewed on 11/7 in-person and haven't been able to get a virtual interview time slot yethas anyone who interviewed in-person 11/14 received an invite for the virtual interview yet?
premedguy99
Full Member
❔ Discussion
I came across this: https://myrgv.com/alerts-brh/2025/0...utrgv-medical-school-sparks-student-concerns/
Would any current UTRGV students be able to talk about this and how concerning or not the situation really is? Thanks!
I came across this: https://myrgv.com/alerts-brh/2025/0...utrgv-medical-school-sparks-student-concerns/
Would any current UTRGV students be able to talk about this and how concerning or not the situation really is? Thanks!
chickenlegs2020
Full Member
I spoke to someone who attends the school right now, and she said that the students had a lot of issues with this article because it didn't accurately reflect the situation. Basically, the current hospital system they do rotations with decided not to renew their contract with UTRGV, and accordingly, several MD professors who were tied to the hospital are no longer professors at the medical school. The article didn't talk about the new hospital system UTRGV is doing rotations with and the new MD professors who replaced the ones who left. So they basically just moved from one hospital system to another for rotations and professors, and the old ones were replaced. Any students who may be on this forum, please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the information I got from my conversation.❔ Discussion
I came across this: https://myrgv.com/alerts-brh/2025/0...utrgv-medical-school-sparks-student-concerns/
Would any current UTRGV students be able to talk about this and how concerning or not the situation really is? Thanks!
premedguy99
Full Member
Thanks so much for this info!I spoke to someone who attends the school right now, and she said that the students had a lot of issues with this article because it didn't accurately reflect the situation. Basically, the current hospital system they do rotations with decided not to renew their contract with UTRGV, and accordingly, several MD professors who were tied to the hospital are no longer professors at the medical school. The article didn't talk about the new hospital system UTRGV is doing rotations with and the new MD professors who replaced the ones who left. So they basically just moved from one hospital system to another for rotations and professors, and the old ones were replaced. Any students who may be on this forum, please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the information I got from my conversation.
huskypremed
Full Member
Does this school interview into January?
breadmed
New Member
Yes, usually up to early January.Does this school interview into January?
huskypremed
Full Member
I wonder when their last group session is
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed the admissions office and they said 1 is open and 1 is closed for the virtual portion.Does anyone know if the virtual interviews are closed or open file? I don't see anything online about this.
PlsAdmitMe001
New Member
I sent a letter of interest to the school after my virtual interview but was wondering if I should send out a letter of intent as I await a decision, I believe if I got in I would 100% attend this school.
If you are a Texas resident all you need to do is rank them for Match Day.I sent a letter of interest to the school after my virtual interview but was wondering if I should send out a letter of intent as I await a decision, I believe if I got in I would 100% attend this school.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 652
- Views
- 166K