2025-2026 UT Rio Grande Valley

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They usually wrap up by early afternoon so you should be able to make it. Are you driving or flying?
Also, when did you get your interview invitation?
That's a relief. I'm flying so I want to fly back in the evening. And i got the ll today morning
 
That's a relief. I'm flying so I want to fly back in the evening. And i got the ll today morning
Y'all know if they're strict on this too? "Please note the following requirements: Applicants must select an interview date within7 calendar daysof receiving this invitation. All interviews must be completed within 21 days of the invitation date. After this period, invitations will be rescinded and applications withdrawn from further consideration." The only time I'm free is their Oct 3 date and that's past 21 days but it shows up on AMP as available?
 
Y'all know if they're strict on this too? "Please note the following requirements: Applicants must select an interview date within7 calendar daysof receiving this invitation. All interviews must be completed within 21 days of the invitation date. After this period, invitations will be rescinded and applications withdrawn from further consideration." The only time I'm free is their Oct 3 date and that's past 21 days but it shows up on AMP as available?
You "selected" a date. That deadline is to select a date. UTRGV is responsible for scheduling you for the 2 Zoom interviews after you have attended your in-person interview day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe they go hand in hand. they eliminate the 2nd if you dont show up for group.
Correct. Going to the in-person portion makes you eligible for the two individual interviews.
I have never heard of someone being eliminated based on their first part , but on the other hand it’s not something a person would be eager to share on SDN 😢
 
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to share something weird that happened to me in case it helps others (or if anyone else has experienced this). I applied to UTRGV last cycle, and today I randomly received an email from them extending an interview invite for the "class entering in 2025" (aka the class I’m currently in. I’m at a different Texas medical school now).
The odd part is that the email looks like it was supposed to be sent back in January (it even lists a January interview date), but for whatever reason I just got it today.
During the actual application cycle, I only checked my UTRGV applicant portal maybe 2–3 times after submitting my secondary. Certainly not in January, since I had already interviewed elsewhere and received an acceptance. So who knows, maybe if I had checked the portal, I could’ve seen the invite there. Or maybe it wouldn’t have shown up since the email itself clearly wasn’t sent until now. Honestly, it almost feels like it was sitting in their drafts and only hit send months later, LOL.
Not sure if this was a glitch or just a random delay, but I thought I’d share here to see if it’s happened to anyone else.
Takeaway: Definitely check your individual application portals regularly and don’t rely only on emails, or you might miss something big like this!
 
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to share something weird that happened to me in case it helps others (or if anyone else has experienced this). I applied to UTRGV last cycle, and today I randomly received an email from them extending an interview invite for the "class entering in 2025" (aka the class I’m currently in. I’m at a different Texas medical school now).
The odd part is that the email looks like it was supposed to be sent back in January (it even lists a January interview date), but for whatever reason I just got it today.
During the actual application cycle, I only checked my UTRGV applicant portal maybe 2–3 times after submitting my secondary. Certainly not in January, since I had already interviewed elsewhere and received an acceptance. So who knows, maybe if I had checked the portal, I could’ve seen the invite there. Or maybe it wouldn’t have shown up since the email itself clearly wasn’t sent until now. Honestly, it almost feels like it was sitting in their drafts and only hit send months later, LOL.
Not sure if this was a glitch or just a random delay, but I thought I’d share here to see if it’s happened to anyone else.
Takeaway: Definitely check your individual application portals regularly and don’t rely only on emails, or you might miss something big like this!
That is so weird!
Congratulations on getting admitted to a different Texas school last cycle and being already started.
 
+1 IS II received 9/29. I am stoked to get a II however the commitment to getting there is certainly a consideration. I do not feel that I am in any position to reject interviews but I am feeling a little hard done by the in person aspect. Any one here have any advice on where my head should be? Should I bite the bullet? Reject it and hold out for more interviews (this option feels foolish as I know they are precious commodities)?
 
+1 IS II received 9/29. I am stoked to get a II however the commitment to getting there is certainly a consideration. I do not feel that I am in any position to reject interviews but I am feeling a little hard done by the in person aspect. Any one here have any advice on where my head should be? Should I bite the bullet? Reject it and hold out for more interviews (this option feels foolish as I know they are precious commodities)?
Why do you feel it is such a burden? Until you have an acceptance go to all interviews
Road trip with a friend if far from the RGV.
 
+1 IS II received 9/29. I am stoked to get a II however the commitment to getting there is certainly a consideration. I do not feel that I am in any position to reject interviews but I am feeling a little hard done by the in person aspect. Any one here have any advice on where my head should be? Should I bite the bullet? Reject it and hold out for more interviews (this option feels foolish as I know they are precious commodities)?
Hey! I totally get the feeling, but my two cents, as someone who had the opportunity to interview there, is that it's 200% worth it.

You get to see the campus and get that in-person vibe check. Also, the opportunity to trauma-bond with your fellow applicants is a rare occurrence with virtual interviews now. Who knows, this could be your future medical school, maybe not, but at least you'll have a better idea of what you like/dislike when it comes to ranking for match. Take the time to explore the area. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by everything they have in the valley.

Safe travels!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why do you feel it is such a burden? Until you have an acceptance go to all interviews
Road trip with a friend if far from the RGV.
I live quite far (OOS currently). Limited pto and funds all go into it lol. I am absolutely not turning my nose up and I have thought since making this post and will def be there! I appreciate your candid advice.
 
Hey! I totally get the feeling, but my two cents, as someone who had the opportunity to interview there, is that it's 200% worth it.

You get to see the campus and get that in-person vibe check. Also, the opportunity to trauma-bond with your fellow applicants is a rare occurrence with virtual interviews now. Who knows, this could be your future medical school, maybe not, but at least you'll have a better idea of what you like/dislike when it comes to ranking for match. Take the time to explore the area. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by everything they have in the valley.

Safe travels!
Thank you I am really looking forward to being back in the valley. Its been a while since I have been but I can't wait to check out the school.
 
Best of luck to all who applied Early Decision to this school.
You should hear your news, yes or no, today.
If you have not heard by early afternoon, notify TMDSAS in your portal so they can remind (or prod) the admissions department to release the decisions.
If you are not accepted in the ED round, add the other TMDSAS schools in your portal ASAP.
 
Was curious if anybody knows how many applicants they accept ED per cycle? I have heard as high as 27 in previous years from an admissions rep at a booth-- leaving only half the seats left for regular decision applicants. Their stats also indicate that about half the students are valley natives. Does this mean that if you are from RGV and do not apply ED that you're chances of receiving an A are very low?
 
Was curious if anybody knows how many applicants they accept ED per cycle? I have heard as high as 27 in previous years from an admissions rep at a booth-- leaving only half the seats left for regular decision applicants. Their stats also indicate that about half the students are valley natives. Does this mean that if you are from RGV and do not apply ED that you're chances of receiving an A are very low?
I don’t see data being released about this but I think most of the RGV natives apply RD
 
Hey everyone! I'm a current MS1 at UTRGV SOM, and I'm free to answer any questions you have about the school or anything else 😁
 
For anyone who has already done the group interview at UTRGV, which hotels did you stay at / would recommend? Possibly looking for one with shuttle service to the airport so I don't have to uber and lose money lol.
 
does anyone know how long UTRGV takes to send the email for part ll of the online interviews? I did the group interview last week and they told us to wait for an email. Just wanted to get an idea if I should wait still or if I should reach out ?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best of luck to all who applied Early Decision to this school.
You should hear your news, yes or no, today.
If you have not heard by early afternoon, notify TMDSAS in your portal so they can remind (or prod) the admissions department to release the decisions.
If you are not accepted in the ED round, add the other TMDSAS schools in your portal ASAP.
Would anyone who applied ED to this school care to share their outcome?
If you have not been notified by the school (either accepted or released to regular decision) contact both the school and TMDSAS right away.
 
For those who have interviewed, when did you find out when your virtual interviews will be? I signed up for a date, but we were told that the times are unknown until you approach the interview date. I was hoping to have a better idea of when the interview will be to plan my day, etc.
 
For those who have interviewed, when did you find out when your virtual interviews will be? I signed up for a date, but we were told that the times are unknown until you approach the interview date. I was hoping to have a better idea of when the interview will be to plan my day, etc.
I got my virtual invite to schedule two weeks after the group interview.

From the day I scheduled my virtual interview, I got my interview time 5 days later (2 days before the virtual).
 
I guess no news today? UTRGV breaking tradition this year (that or the As are not on SDN)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do yk?
You can see it here.
1760573834761.png