2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got the email for interview as well! Also yes choosing the time slot was difficult for me. Even tho the slot said available it would not let me choose it. I kept picking times for 20 min until it finally worked. I still have yet to receive a email confirmation.
yeah I am so confused.. i'm scared to press any wrong buttons...
 
Can someone help me with selecting a time? So I select a time slot but then I proceed to hit "mark complete" but it keeps giving me this message: This field requires a unique response and this response has already been used.... what should I do?? What does that mean?
 
Can someone help me with selecting a time? So I select a time slot but then I proceed to hit "mark complete" but it keeps giving me this message: This field requires a unique response and this response has already been used.... what should I do?? What does that mean?
Maybe you have to try a different slot for that time? That is what I did and I was able to mark it as complete. Refreshing the page may help too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone help me with selecting a time? So I select a time slot but then I proceed to hit "mark complete" but it keeps giving me this message: This field requires a unique response and this response has already been used.... what should I do?? What does that mean?
It’s possible it might mean someone took that time slot already. Did you try a different day?
 
okay wait it finally worked i'm scheduled for Monday May 10th at 8am!!! urgh good luck guys!! we are almost there! but how do we get a confirmation email? wait jkkkk i found it loll good luck guys!
 
did everyone get a confirmation email? I never got a confirmation email but the portal says everything was submitted and being reviewed
 
okay wait it finally worked i'm scheduled for Monday May 10th at 8am!!! urgh good luck guys!! we are almost there! but how do we get a confirmation email? wait jkkkk i found it loll good luck guys!
Oh I also have Monday, May 10th at but at 2 pm!!! But I didn't get a confirmation email either- what did it look like?
 
Mine just says "Ready for Interview" on the portal
It says that on my portal also and when I click to enter and click 'open' on the interview module, it shows the time I selected for the interview and says 'Taken" and my name. I didn't receive any confirmation email either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hoping for some advice!

i’ve already committed going to Emory this fall to get my MPH (i honestly wasn’t expecting getting this far along) and now it seems like there is a real possibility that i could get into PHAP which means completely doing a 180 for my future. if i got PHAP i think i would defer Emory and choose PHAP over school, but part of me just isn’t sure if that’s the right move. i’ve always wanted to work at the CDC and become a PH Advisor (or at least try it out) but i’m worried i may be stuck in that role where grad school allows you to explore and dabble in specific interests. but i would get paid at PHAP which is a huge plus bc i’m hoping it would substitute what having an MPH would look like on a resume. i’m just not sure if it’s worth it if afterward doing PHAP ill still feel like getting my degree. anyone else in this position??
 
hoping for some advice!

i’ve already committed going to Emory this fall to get my MPH (i honestly wasn’t expecting getting this far along) and now it seems like there is a real possibility that i could get into PHAP which means completely doing a 180 for my future. if i got PHAP i think i would defer Emory and choose PHAP over school, but part of me just isn’t sure if that’s the right move. i’ve always wanted to work at the CDC and become a PH Advisor (or at least try it out) but i’m worried i may be stuck in that role where grad school allows you to explore and dabble in specific interests. but i would get paid at PHAP which is a huge plus bc i’m hoping it would substitute what having an MPH would look like on a resume. i’m just not sure if it’s worth it if afterward doing PHAP ill still feel like getting my degree. anyone else in this position??
Getting into the CDC is very competitive, so if there is a chance, I would totally go for the PHAP over college
 
hoping for some advice!

i’ve already committed going to Emory this fall to get my MPH (i honestly wasn’t expecting getting this far along) and now it seems like there is a real possibility that i could get into PHAP which means completely doing a 180 for my future. if i got PHAP i think i would defer Emory and choose PHAP over school, but part of me just isn’t sure if that’s the right move. i’ve always wanted to work at the CDC and become a PH Advisor (or at least try it out) but i’m worried i may be stuck in that role where grad school allows you to explore and dabble in specific interests. but i would get paid at PHAP which is a huge plus bc i’m hoping it would substitute what having an MPH would look like on a resume. i’m just not sure if it’s worth it if afterward doing PHAP ill still feel like getting my degree. anyone else in this position??
How about do both or transfer? I’m currently a MPH student but via online
 
How about do both or transfer? I’m currently a MPH student but via online
I'm also thinking about doing it online but possibly during PHAP- depending on how this goes, I wanted to get my MPH either during or after PHAP. I was wondering where you're doing yours online and if you think it's manageable on top of other stuff- possibly like PHAP (obviously we don't know the workload, so if any current PHAPers might have advice on this I would appreciate it). I know that's a bit vague, but I'm currently a senior in my undergrad graduating this semester so I've been trying to figure out what's up. I sort of really want PHAP to be my experience before grad school.
 
I'm also thinking about doing it online but possibly during PHAP- depending on how this goes, I wanted to get my MPH either during or after PHAP. I was wondering where you're doing yours online and if you think it's manageable on top of other stuff- possibly like PHAP (obviously we don't know the workload, so if any current PHAPers might have advice on this I would appreciate it). I know that's a bit vague, but I'm currently a senior in my undergrad graduating this semester so I've been trying to figure out what's up. I sort of really want PHAP to be my experience before grad school.
Hahah it’s a bit difficult to manage! I work 40 hrs a week too but it’s also learning time management! I feel like it’s beneficial to do it during your PHAP program. Most MPH take about two years some about one year. So let’s say if we do all get into PHAP, after completing those two years... A Masters degree holder will have an advantage to getting officially hired by the CDC and eventually getting paid better. A lot of CDC employees have a Masters and above! But there’s so many options to online MPH schooling, depending on your concentration and what you want to do.

I’m currently doing my MPH in Global health through Liberty University. I graduated with my bachelors in 2020 and my MPH program is a one year program so I’ll be done by the end of this year !

In my opinion, CDC looks for people who are passionate for public health and changing the health of the public not just to put CDC on their résume so if they see that you’re taking the initiative to get a higher degree in the field then it’s a bonus! But it just depends on you!
 
Last edited:
hoping for some advice!

i’ve already committed going to Emory this fall to get my MPH (i honestly wasn’t expecting getting this far along) and now it seems like there is a real possibility that i could get into PHAP which means completely doing a 180 for my future. if i got PHAP i think i would defer Emory and choose PHAP over school, but part of me just isn’t sure if that’s the right move. i’ve always wanted to work at the CDC and become a PH Advisor (or at least try it out) but i’m worried i may be stuck in that role where grad school allows you to explore and dabble in specific interests. but i would get paid at PHAP which is a huge plus bc i’m hoping it would substitute what having an MPH would look like on a resume. i’m just not sure if it’s worth it if afterward doing PHAP ill still feel like getting my degree. anyone else in this position??
Hey Natalie! I'm in a really similar boat!

At the end of last year, I applied to the PHAP and to my dream nursing school, and then not really thinking I would get into either, started a new job. I was accepted into the nursing program in late March and was more than content until I realized that I really could get a PHAP position. I've been back and forth between what I would take if I was able to get both. From counsel of others and goal searching on my end, I decided that nursing school (even if it was my perfect school and program and they won't let me defer) could wait a couple of years. Initially, I was being kind of doomer about it because I wasn't sure if I wanted to "waste" two years of my "youth" doing this program that I wasn't sure aligned with my goals. I was thinking about the opportunity cost of not going to nursing school and getting a median/high, stable income. But I currently have the stability and savings in life where I could add a couple of years onto my life plan. The PHAP is so much more competitive and at the end of the two years, I'll either be more competitive for nursing school applications, or I will have found a new career path that I'm interested in. This all being said without the actual experience of the PHAP under my belt, if I were in your shoes and I were financially stable enough to do the PHAP and maybe return to earn my MPH later, I would do the PHAP. It'll only serve to add to your resume, build your network or professional relationships, and give you a completely new experience. If you find that your host site isn't for you or the position that you were in wasn't interesting to you, then you've learned something new about yourself and your goals. You can return to your MPH to discover what does interest you with that in mind!
 
Hahah it’s a bit difficult to manage! I work 40 hrs a week too but it’s also learning time management! I feel like it’s beneficial to do it during your PHAP program. Most MPH take about two years some about one year. So let’s say if we do all get into PHAP, after completing those two years... A Masters degree holder will have an advantage to getting officially hired by the CDC and eventually getting paid better. A lot of CDC employees have a Masters and above! But there’s so many options to online MPH schooling, depending on your concentration and what you want to do.

I’m currently doing my MPH in Global health through Liberty University. I graduated with my bachelors in 2020 and my MPH program is a one year program so I’ll be done by the end of this year !
I think
Hey Natalie! I'm in a really similar boat!

At the end of last year, I applied to the PHAP and to my dream nursing school, and then not really thinking I would get into either, started a new job. I was accepted into the nursing program in late March and was more than content until I realized that I really could get a PHAP position. I've been back and forth between what I would take if I was able to get both. From counsel of others and goal searching on my end, I decided that nursing school (even if it was my perfect school and program and they won't let me defer) could wait a couple of years. Initially, I was being kind of doomer about it because I wasn't sure if I wanted to "waste" two years of my "youth" doing this program that I wasn't sure aligned with my goals. I was thinking about the opportunity cost of not going to nursing school and getting a median/high, stable income. But I currently have the stability and savings in life where I could add a couple of years onto my life plan. The PHAP is so much more competitive and at the end of the two years, I'll either be more competitive for nursing school applications, or I will have found a new career path that I'm interested in. This all being said without the actual experience of the PHAP under my belt, if I were in your shoes and I were financially stable enough to do the PHAP and maybe return to earn my MPH later, I would do the PHAP. It'll only serve to add to your resume, build your network or professional relationships, and give you a completely new experience. If you find that your host site isn't for you or the position that you were in wasn't interesting to you, then you've learned something new about yourself and your goals. You can return to your MPH to discover what does interest you with that in mind!
I also was in nursing school too before I switched and I realized I can get my RN anytime or anywhere! Public health gives you more of a flexibility to tap into whatever you want, other than nursing, you’re limited to just nursing. But I will definitely go back to get my RN again just because I love the clinical aspect of it!
 
Okay sorry I don’t know what I just did above there ^^ this platform is weird and confusing sometimes lol
 
Hahah it’s a bit difficult to manage! I work 40 hrs a week too but it’s also learning time management! I feel like it’s beneficial to do it during your PHAP program. Most MPH take about two years some about one year. So let’s say if we do all get into PHAP, after completing those two years... A Masters degree holder will have an advantage to getting officially hired by the CDC and eventually getting paid better. A lot of CDC employees have a Masters and above! But there’s so many options to online MPH schooling, depending on your concentration and what you want to do.

I’m currently doing my MPH in Global health through Liberty University. I graduated with my bachelors in 2020 and my MPH program is a one year program so I’ll be done by the end of this year !

In my opinion, CDC looks for people who are passionate for public health and changing the health of the public not just to put CDC on their résume so if they see that you’re taking the initiative to get a higher degree in the field then it’s a bonus! But it just depends on you!
Thank you so much, this actually really helped me think of some stuff to consider, actually!
 
Hi, first time poster and long time lurker in this forum.
I was wondering how many people included a reference document for the personal statement round? I did not include that because most other positions I have been applying for would request references as needed. But, I briefly saw someone mention it during the application open period. Now it has been in the back of my mind. I am really hoping this doesn't hurt my chances for an interview.
I was just curious how many people opted to include it versus did not include the references in the second round for apps. Thanks!
If they don’t ask for it, I don’t include it. Give them what they ask for.
 
Thank you so much, this actually really helped me think of some stuff to consider, actually!
My degree won’t get conferred to end of summer, so yo
Hahah it’s a bit difficult to manage! I work 40 hrs a week too but it’s also learning time management! I feel like it’s beneficial to do it during your PHAP program. Most MPH take about two years some about one year. So let’s say if we do all get into PHAP, after completing those two years... A Masters degree holder will have an advantage to getting officially hired by the CDC and eventually getting paid better. A lot of CDC employees have a Masters and above! But there’s so many options to online MPH schooling, depending on your concentration and what you want to do.

I’m currently doing my MPH in Global health through Liberty University. I graduated with my bachelors in 2020 and my MPH program is a one year program so I’ll be done by the end of this year !

In my opinion, CDC looks for people who are passionate for public health and changing the health of the public not just to put CDC on their résume so if they see that you’re taking the initiative to get a higher degree in the field then it’s a bonus! But it just depends on you!
I’ll be done with all my mph requirements in June but my degree won’t get conferred until end of summer. Do you think this will effect my chance at PHAP?
 
My degree won’t get conferred to end of summer, so yo

I’ll be done with all my mph requirements in June but my degree won’t get conferred until end of summer. Do you think this will effect my chance at PHAP?
I’m pretty sure they are speaking about an undergraduate degree, not a graduate degree so you should be fine if you have gotten this far!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y’all, long time lurker. I was wondering what everyone was doing for interview prep my interview is coming up and I’m a little nervous ngl.
same here! reading previous forums though the interview seems very chill and conversational which is nice! probably just going to come up with some applicable examples from my experience that relate to PHAP? i think as long as we’re authentic and passionate we should be ok, best of luck 🙂
 
So was not selected for the interview, is it safe to assume this is the end and will have to apply next year?
ya unfortunately that seems the case 🙁 the email stated that we needed to choose our interview time by tonight. if it helps, i applied in 2019 and didn’t get past the 1st round, forgot about it last year lol and now i’m through the final round! definitely apply next year
 
I haven’t. The site says that the day before the interview an email will be sent with the zoom information
Same, I did not get a confirmation email for the interview time. The portal says "ready to interview" and "Your submission is now under review and you will be contacted with the Zoom meeting information once generated by the assigned interviewer".
 
Some PHAPS started like a month after, I have no idea why, but perhaps they didn’t get enough candidates so they added more? Who knows. Maybe they’ll end up adding more if they don’t get enough people to start since when they do offer the job not everyone may accept. You have two years after the year you graduate to apply, so technically twice. Don’t give up. Look into the ORISE and PHI/CDC Global Health Fellowship program. There are other internships out there. Also, look into contractor jobs with CDC. Those may be other ways to get into CDC. Also consider joining the U.S. Public Health Corps.
 
Some PHAPS started like a month after, I have no idea why, but perhaps they didn’t get enough candidates so they added more? Who knows. Maybe they’ll end up adding more if they don’t get enough people to start since when they do offer the job not everyone may accept. You have two years after the year you graduate to apply, so technically twice. Don’t give up. Look into the ORISE and PHI/CDC Global Health Fellowship program. There are other internships out there. Also, look into contractor jobs with CDC. Those may be other ways to get into CDC. Also consider joining the U.S. Public Health Corps.
I’ll definitely have to check this stuff out! Do you know anything about contractor jobs with the CDC? I’m not super familiar
 
Question for current/former PHAPers! Does PHAP determine final candidates solely based off of interview scores or is it an accumulation on scores from the personal statement + interview?
 
I'm also thinking about doing it online but possibly during PHAP- depending on how this goes, I wanted to get my MPH either during or after PHAP. I was wondering where you're doing yours online and if you think it's manageable on top of other stuff- possibly like PHAP (obviously we don't know the workload, so if any current PHAPers might have advice on this I would appreciate it). I know that's a bit vague, but I'm currently a senior in my undergrad graduating this semester so I've been trying to figure out what's up. I sort of really want PHAP to be my experience before grad school.
Hello!

I am actually about to graduate from my MPH and have managed a full time job as well. I think it's doable but it all depends on 1) Yourself: how organized you are. It can get quite tiring to juggle both a full time job and full time coursework but if you schedule yourself well, it is definitely possible. And 2) I would definitely advise you to make sure that your classes fall in the evening so the PHAP hours don't clash with your classes.

If you decided to go to grad school while doing PHAP, I would suggest you look into part time classes or online classes.

Hope this helps!
 
I have my interview scheduled for May 3rd at 6pm (5pm my time 🙂 )! I was reading last year's forum and many of the previous applicants said that their interview felt mostly like a conversation than an interview which made them feel less nervous and the questions were mostly behavior based or something like "name a time when ____". So good luck to everyone!
I'm definitely hoping for this opportunity to work out for myself because I'm not in love with my current job and really think this will jump start my career in public health! I'm also hoping it will help me make a decision on whether or not I want to go back and get my MPH 🙂
 
I was thinking it would probably be good to use this (https://www.cdc.gov/phap/pdf/PHAP_Competencies_Curriculum.pdf) to come up with interview questions if you want to practice too- especially since it'll be more behavioral/hypothetical! I would assume some of the ones they might really touch on are professionalism, cultural competency, communication, and probably some of the other ones as well! Of course, if any current PHAPers or past ones remember anything and would be willing to share what other questions they ask that would be lovely! I'll be going through some old forums too to come up with a list of practice questions for my friends to give me mock interviews lol.
 
Hello!

I am actually about to graduate from my MPH and have managed a full time job as well. I think it's doable but it all depends on 1) Yourself: how organized you are. It can get quite tiring to juggle both a full time job and full time coursework but if you schedule yourself well, it is definitely possible. And 2) I would definitely advise you to make sure that your classes fall in the evening so the PHAP hours don't clash with your classes.

If you decided to go to grad school while doing PHAP, I would suggest you look into part time classes or online classes.

Hope this helps!
it definitely would be ideal to do both at the same time but like it’s impossible unless the courses are all online for 2 years (highly unlikely unless it’s an online university) or you just happen to get placed in the same city for PHAP and the graduate school. i think the issue for a lot of us is that we are already admitted into a program for the fall and now have to decide between the 2
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else get a Zoom invite today? Also for those who start tomorrow, please let us know how it goes!!
 
Did anyone else get a Zoom invite today? Also for those who start tomorrow, please let us know how it goes!!
I haven't gotten anything either and I also have May 10th - I think I remember you have it that day, too. It looks like there should also be a space for it on the Portal if you open up your interview time but so far it hasn't updated for me. Does anyone know what the subject of the email is?
 
So was not selected for the interview, is it safe to assume this is the end and will have to apply next year?
I haven't gotten anything either and I also have May 10th - I think I remember you have it that day, too. It looks like there should also be a space for it on the Portal if you open up your interview time but so far it hasn't updated for me. Does anyone know what the subject of the email is?
It says the person your interviewing with! Mine is Cynthia D Marshall
“2021 PHAP Interview with CDC staff Cynthia D Marshall”
 
Also are we supposed to do anything with it or just a confirmation?

also preparation, I have a LinkedIn connection from the CDC her name is Dr. Des..she works as Health Policy Analyst and she helps recent graduates but she’s been helping me get my resume on point lol but I messaged her to help me prepare so I would be more than willing to send y’all tips on what she said!!