This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it just me (aka my anxiety) or are sites taking longer than usual this year to send out emails??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Is it just me (aka my anxiety) or are sites taking longer than usual this year to send out emails??
I think that is just your anxiety. Hearing back the week after thanksgiving is fairly normal. Some are earlier, but this is still well within the margin of error. Plus many extended their deadlines due to COVID, so we will hear back even later than normal for those. Give it time and check brochures for their notification deadline. If it is before then, you shouldn't assume anything.

Reactions: 1 users
I see that some people say they are notified about interviews via a phone call. What are those calls like? Does this mean we should start answering calls from numbers we don't recognize over the next few weeks/months?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I see that some people say they are notified about interviews via a phone call. What are those calls like? Does this mean we should start answering calls from numbers we don't recognize over the next few weeks/months?

We generally recommend that applicants hire an administrative assistant for several weeks from mid November through Mid December.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I received one invite by phone during my year. It was a quick congrats and we’re excited to meet you and gave me the interview dates and said I’d receive a detailed email shortly.

If a site is doing phone notifications, they are calling dozens of people in-between work tasks that day so it’ll probably be brief.

Also doesn’t hurt to make sure your voicemail is setup and not full. Good luck to all who are going through this process!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone else feel the BOP sites are taking longer than usual to notify? Or, have others heard from other sites? I have only heard from Fort Worth and that was a fat REJECTION. LOL.
Yes that’s what I’m saying!!!!

Hmm i heard that some programs have an "interview waitlist" of sorts in case some interviewees back out but I haven't verified this.
Our DCT was actually talking about this today— can confirm that she said “alternates” are a thing based on her knowledge!

Reactions: 2 users
Mine was super short! They just said congratulations, that this is an official interview invite, and that I should receive an email with the interview dates soon. Honestly she sounded super busy and hung up fast so that took the pressure off of me to have a convo.

Our clinical supervisor also suggested we take our phones off silent and start answering all calls from now on till mid December so we don’t miss any!

Hi everyone, I hope you are managing the anxiety of this process with as much ease as possible!
I'm wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of receiving an invite to interview after a "mass email" has already been sent to others. Is it safe to assume I'm out, or might I still hear something?

Depends on the site but sometimes interviews come out in waves for a variety of reasons. I actually ended up matching at a site that gave me a second wave interview and found out later it was because some faculty reviewing apps took longer than others and my app was in their pile. I wouldn’t give up hope yet :)

• Care
Depends on the site but sometimes interviews come out in waves for a variety of reasons. I actually ended up matching at a site that gave me a second wave interview and found out later it was because some faculty reviewing apps took longer than others and my app was in their pile. I wouldn’t give up hope yet :)
Thank you so much for weighing in! Encouragement is so so valuable these days :)

Site Name: West Virginia University School of Medicine - Behavioral Medicine Track
Date Invitation Received: 11/11/21
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/16, 12/17, 1/6, 1/7

I have a question that may be based in completely wishful thinking. I was told that last year there were much more applicants applying for internship than usual (which could have been related to COVID--students deciding to apply ASAP rather than waiting another uncertain year). This resulted in lower match rates than usual.

This year, a lot of APPIC notifications have been sites extending their deadlines. If a lot of people rushed to apply last year, could that mean less people than usual are left to apply this year? Hence, sites extending their deadlines because they haven't gotten as many applications as usual?

As I am typing this, I am realizing how silly it sounds lol...

Depends on the site but sometimes interviews come out in waves for a variety of reasons. I actually ended up matching at a site that gave me a second wave interview and found out later it was because some faculty reviewing apps took longer than others and my app was in their pile.
This might be especially relevant for sites with internship tracks where those faculty are largely/wholly responsible for selecting who to invite and might be working on different timelines.
This year, a lot of APPIC notifications have been sites extending their deadlines.
I'm no longer subscribed to that listserv but I remember these notifications being fairly common in the past. My guess is that sites who extend deadlines probably haven't received as many applications as they hoped for or pushed back their review or interview timelines for unrelated reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question that may be based in completely wishful thinking. I was told that last year there were much more applicants applying for internship than usual (which could have been related to COVID--students deciding to apply ASAP rather than waiting another uncertain year). This resulted in lower match rates than usual.

This year, a lot of APPIC notifications have been sites extending their deadlines. If a lot of people rushed to apply last year, could that mean less people than usual are left to apply this year? Hence, sites extending their deadlines because they haven't gotten as many applications as usual?

It could be. But I had someone tell me that they extended their deadline in order for people to have more time with hours and needed materials due to COVID, also allowing the site to have more time to prepare for the incoming applications.

There was a 6.5% increase in applicants last year as compared to previous years. When you factor in normal variation, it really wasn't that big of an increase. Also, match rates in Phase 1 were 85% and 87% in the past two years. Not a big difference. Lot of anecdotal accounts out there, but the overall data isn't really that different.

Official Site Name: NYU-Bellevue
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Forensic Track
Date Invitation Received: 11/12/21
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): mass email
Interview Dates Offered: December 10

Yes! I think it is super early. My professor told me that after Thanksgiving is the prime time but offers can extend into December and even January depending on site

Site Name: West Virginia University School of Medicine - Behavioral Medicine Track
Date Invitation Received: 11/11/21
Interview Dates Offered: 12/16, 12/17, 1/6, 1/7
This wasn't due until 12/1, right? I also noticed they had some unique procedure where you contact them for a virtual visit-- did you do this, or they contacted you?

Official Site Name: Travis County Juvenile Probation Department
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): personal email
Interview Dates Offered: January 6/7/ 10/11

This wasn't due until 12/1, right? I also noticed they had some unique procedure where you contact them for a virtual visit-- did you do this, or they contacted you?
The deadline was 11/1 for this site, unless they decided to extend their deadline after the fact. I didn't see the thing about a virtual visit, that would have been cool. They contacted me via email.

Official Site Name: FMC Lexington
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Email
Interview Dates Offered: Continue process through USA Jobs first

There was a 6.5% increase in applicants last year as compared to previous years. When you factor in normal variation, it really wasn't that big of an increase. Also, match rates in Phase 1 were 85% and 87% in the past two years. Not a big difference. Lot of anecdotal accounts out there, but the overall data isn't really that different.
ughhh somebody ALWAYS has to come in and ruin a good time with their "data" and their "science" :rolleyes: :lol: (just kidding--thanks for the info!)

• Haha
The deadline was 11/1 for this site, unless they decided to extend their deadline after the fact. I didn't see the thing about a virtual visit, that would have been cool. They contacted me via email.
I’m thinking of Charleston Medical Center 🙃

Official Site Name: FMC Fort Worth
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: Continue process through USA Jobs first

Official Site Name: University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Forensic
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): mass email
Interview Dates Offered: interview dates will be given in early December

For those applying to the BOPs such as Butner, etc., did you receive a mass email stating "dear applicant" or a personalized email stating Dear ___your name?

Official Site Name: University of Arkansas
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuro
Interview Dates Offered: 12/15, 1/7, 1/21

Do you guys know if it is pretty standard for sites to send out rejections to the people they won't be interviewing?

Official Site Name: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology Track
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Personalized email with a personalized letter attached
Interview Dates Offered: 12/15, 1/7, 1/21

Site Name: Henry Ford Health Sciences Center - Health Psychology Track
Date Invitation Received: 11/8/21
Interview Dates Offered: 12/6, 12/13, 1/3, 1/10, 1/17
Mass or personal email? Aka should I still be hopeful about this site/track
Do you guys know if it is pretty standard for sites to send out rejections to the people they won't be interviewing?
I've heard that most sites do send out rejections/regrets, but usually after interview offers have been sent

Adding another from Travis County

Official Site Name: Travis County Juvenile Probation Department
Interview Dates Offered: January 6, 7, 10, 11

I've heard that most sites do send out rejections/regrets, but usually after interview offers have been sent
I think it was a mass email. Don't totally lose hope until you see that rejection email. Some sites send out invitations in batches.

I believe Henry Ford sends out invitations on a rolling basis, so I would not lose hope! They might still send an invite your way! Crossing my fingers for you 🤞

Last edited:
Official Site Name: Nebraska Internship Consortium in Professional Psychology
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health Psychology, Primary Care, and Anxiety Disorders tracks
Department: Nebraska Medicine Psychology Department
Date Invitation Received: 11/13/21
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Mass Email
Interview Dates Offered: Open house 1/6 and virtual interviews on 1/7

Last edited:

I also heard back from Henry Ford on the 8th with an invitation. I submitted my application there on 11/4.
Don't give up hope-- it's possible they will send out another wave of invitations.

Mass Email rejection from Rush, yesterday morning 11/12

• Care
I also heard back from Henry Ford on the 8th with an invitation. I submitted my application there on 11/4.
Don't give up hope-- it's possible they will send out another wave of invitations.
Thank you for keeping me in the loop! I'm feeling a little less hopeful because I submitted mine in late October, but you never know :)
Don't give up hope-- it's possible they will send out another wave of invitations

I believe Henry Ford sends out invitations on a rolling basis, so I would not lose hope! They might still send an invite your way! Crossing my fingers for you 🤞
Thank you for keeping your fingers crossed for me! 💕

Official Site Name: St. Louis VA
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Date Invitation Received: 11/13/21
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Personalized email
Interview Dates Offered: Interviews January 7, 14, or 21

Official Site Name: Rutgers University Behavioral HealthCare
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child/Adolescent
Interview Dates Offered: Mid-Dec

Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Track
Date Invitation Received: 11/15
Interview Dates Offered: 12/14

Official Site Name: VAMC Syracuse
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Date Invitation Received: 11/15/2021
Interview Dates Offered: 12/6; 12/10; 1/7; 1/10

Hey all, can anyone point me to solid resources for interview prep, ones that include possible interview questions we may be asked?

Hey all, can anyone point me to solid resources for interview prep, ones that include possible interview questions we may be asked?

The APAGs book on internship preparedness addresses this topic. Also, the APA website has some questions to think about.

FOr anyone else who's interested, I found the questions below on another SDN thread (Internship Interview Questions)

Personal/professional:
1. How did you become interested in psychology?
2. How did you become interested in addiction research?
3. What would you do if you weren’t in psychology?
4. What do you see as your clinical strengths and weaknesses? How do they influence your work? What have you done to deal with shortcomings?
5. What are your goals for internship? In five years?
6. What is your favorite supervision style and why?
7. Why are you here?
8. What non-psychology experience has helped shape your professional identity?
9. Where do you see the profession heading?
10. What qualities are characteristic of a good clinical psychologist (or supervisor)?
11. What is the role of the psychologist in a multidisciplinary team?

Purely personal:
1. Tell me about yourself? (include both professional and personal interests)
2. What do you see as your personal strengths and weaknesses?
3. What do you do in your spare time?
4. What unique qualities would you bring to our training program?

Research:
1. What is your Ph.D. dissertation topic? How is your research progressing?
2. How did you get interested in your Ph.D. thesis topic?
3. What is the clinical relevance of your Ph.D. thesis topic?
4. What are some of the ethical dilemmas posed by your Ph.D. thesis research?
5. What research would you want to pursue here?

Ethics
1. Tell me about an ethical problem you have been faced with and how you handled it.
2. Under what conditions can/should psychologists break confidentiality?
3. Review this vignette and discuss the ethical issues involved and how you would go about addressing them.

Assessment:
1. Tell us about an instrument with which you feel competent
2. What psychological tests are you familiar with?
3. What is your opinion on projective tests?
4. Conceptualize a recent case (or conceptualize a case presented to you as a vignette).
5. What further assessment training do you need?

Treatment:
1. What is your greatest strength as a therapist?
2. What type of client is most difficult for you to work with? What type of feelings do you have towards such clients? How do these feelings interfere with treatment?
3. What is your orientation in therapy?
4. What do you think of dynamic approaches?
5. Talk about a therapy case you had. How did you conceptualize the case? What was most effective?
6. Describe a difficult case or one that did not go according to plan.
7. Describe a case that was unsuccessful. Why?
8. What sorts of supervisors have you had? What type of supervision works/doesn’t work for you?
9. Tell me about a negative/rewarding supervisory experience.
10. What further therapy training or experiences do you need?
11. What empirically validated treatments are you familiar with?
12. What is your opinion on psychologists having prescription privileges?
13. Has any client challenged your fundamental beliefs about life? What was that experience like? How did you manage it?
14. Have you had any experience with group therapy? If so, describe.
15. Have you had any experience with co therapy? If so, describe.
16. How do you describe your therapeutic style?

Credentials:
1. Why did you choose your training program?
2. What are the strengths/limitations of your graduate program?
3. Why should we accept you over the other equally qualified candidates?

Client/Patient Information:
1. What sorts of clients have you worked with? Which were you most comfortable with?
2. Least comfortable with?
3. Most effective with?
4. Have you worked with clients such as the ones we have here?
5. How do you work with and understand people with different ethnic or cultural backgrounds?

Reactions: 9 users
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Track
Interview Dates Offered: 12/14
Sigh, I applied here too I hope I get an email either way sooooon!

I just received my first rejection from UTHealth Doctoral Psychology Internship Program. It looked like a mass email.

• Care
University of Texas Health Science Center (Houston) Rejection Email.

I got a personalized rejection email from Dr. Loveland at UT Health Science Center.

• Care
Official Site Name: UTHealth (Houston)
Interview Dates Offered: 12/3, 12/6, 12/10, 12/13, 12/17