This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have advice about interview scheduling? I've tried to map out dates of potential interviews for all the sites I've applied to, and at least from the dates they have on their websites - there are 5 sites that are doing interviews on 1/7, 1/10, and 1/14, all virtual. So it would be impossible to interview at all of them (unless I could do half-day at some, which seems possible based on some of the brochures but sounds terrible). Obviously I probably won't get invites to all of them, but my worry is that I might get invites from some sites that I have personally ranked lower before I hear from sites I like better. I've heard its important to respond to invites quickly. How have others handled this? Do people try to schedule interviews on different days, or retroactively reject interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Official Site Name: Sepulveda VA

Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology

Date Invitation Received: 11-17-21 12PM

Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Mass

Interview Dates Offered: 1/4, 1/7, 1/11, 1/14

Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: Texas Child Study Center/Dell Children's
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Neuropsychology
Date Invitation Received: 11/17/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 11/30, 12/14, 1/14

Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Texas Child Study Center/Dell Children's
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 11/30, 12/14, 1/14
I saw on the google sheet this invitation when out on 11/16, but I also got the email today, 11/17 at 3:15pm EST.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have advice about interview scheduling? I've tried to map out dates of potential interviews for all the sites I've applied to, and at least from the dates they have on their websites - there are 5 sites that are doing interviews on 1/7, 1/10, and 1/14, all virtual. So it would be impossible to interview at all of them (unless I could do half-day at some, which seems possible based on some of the brochures but sounds terrible). Obviously I probably won't get invites to all of them, but my worry is that I might get invites from some sites that I have personally ranked lower before I hear from sites I like better. I've heard its important to respond to invites quickly. How have others handled this? Do people try to schedule interviews on different days, or retroactively reject interviews?
My professors said to wait and see what they offer as there have typically been differences of what is posted in the directory and what they actually offer. Good thing is you said they are virtual. They may offer multiple date options or half days. I know someone with 3 interviews the same day right now (2 hours each) and timed out correctly. It will suck but if you must, you must LOL

Official Site Name: The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Track - Mood, Anxiety, and Mindfulness
Date Invitation Received: 11/17/21 at 3:21 PM CST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Personal Email
Interview Dates Offered: January 10th and 14th

To the folks who got an email from University of Kansas today, was it a personalized email or mass email?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To the folks who got an email from University of Kansas today, was it a personalized email or mass email?
I've heard its a rolling basis...but I haven't heard regardless so not looking so great o_O

I made a color coded spreadsheet with all the dates, many which overlap but I was able to figure out my top choice for each place that doesn't conflict. It helps to prioritize places that offer fewer dates and then adjust accordingly.

Official Site Name: University of Miami Mailman Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Date Invitation Received: 11/17/21 at 12 PM EST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Personal Email
Interview Dates Offered: January 11th, 14th, 20th

Sites realize that everybody is doing interviews at the same time and competitive candidates will likely have overlapping dates. Many sites will end up offering an alternate interview date once they figure out who needs one as it's definitely in their interest as well. One thing about alternate dates is that it might be a more abbreviated experience as all of the people who normally participate may not be able to attend another date so prioritize higher interests sites if possible.

During my year, I accepted interviews as they came and then reached back out to sites if conflicts arose. I ended up doing one phone interview which wasn’t as good of an experience as the other in-person visits.

Communicate with sites with conflicts by expressing your interest and asking if they plan to have alternate times. Ultimately, some sites may not and you’ll have to decide if you want to accept and then try to re-schedule another. Good luck!

Official Site Name: VAHCS Loma Linda
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): personal email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/15; 12/16

This happened to me. I did exactly as you did, mapped out dates from previous years to guesstimate likely interview dates. And I was in the situation where I had already accepted an interview for a site lower on my list then offered an interview for a site higher on my list. You just have to make a decision at that point. I first checked with my higher ranking site to see if they had any flexibility in scheduling. When they said no, I informed the other site that I no longer would be able to attend their interview (blamed it on flight schedules), and they offered to interview me virtually (pre-Covid). There’s no perfect answer. You just have to make the choice that is best for you.

FWIW - the lower ranking site seemed to really like me still, and informed me that I would be ranked by them.

This happened to me. I did exactly as you did, mapped out dates from previous years to guesstimate likely interview dates. And I was in the situation where I had already accepted an interview for a site lower on my list then offered an interview for a site higher on my list. You just have to make a decision at that point. I first checked with my higher ranking site to see if they had any flexibility in scheduling. When they said no, I informed the other site that I no longer would be able to attend their interview (blamed it on flight schedules), and they offered to interview me virtually (pre-Covid). There’s no perfect answer. You just have to make the choice that is best for you.

FWIW - the lower ranking site seemed to really like me still, and informed me that I would be ranked by them.
As a follow-up question, is it normal for sites to indicate you will be ranked by them? Per APPIC, neither sites nor applicants are supposed to disclose rank orders... but I guess saying "you will be ranked" is not saying where you will be ranked.

As a follow-up question, is it normal for sites to indicate you will be ranked by them? Per APPIC, neither sites nor applicants are supposed to disclose rank orders... but I guess saying "you will be ranked" is not saying where you will be ranked.

Sites can say whether or not you will be ranked, though I would say it's not very common. They cannot tell you specific ranking info, such as if you are ranked in such a way that if you rank them #1 you will match there. That would be a violation.

As an FYI, these rules do not apply the same way for postdocs, generally speaking.

Sites can say whether or not you will be ranked, though I would say it's not very common. They cannot tell you specific ranking info, such as if you are ranked in such a way that if you rank them #1 you will match there. That would be a violation.

As an FYI, these rules do not apply the same way for postdocs, generally speaking.
Thanks for the clarification! I assume it is kind of implied that if we are invited for an interview we are theoretically going to be ranked unless we absolutely bomb the interview.

Thanks for the clarification! I assume it is kind of implied that if we are invited for an interview we are theoretically going to be ranked unless we absolutely bomb the interview.

Most people will be ranked. It may depend on sites, but I have never seen a ranking meeting where everyone who interviewed was ranked. We've always dropped a few here and there. Some of us have veto power, and as the main supervisor for my area, I have had situations where I have said that I would not work with a certain applicant were they to be matched at our site.

Official Site Name: Eastern Oklahoma VA
Date Invitation Received: 11/18/2021
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): personal email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/11, 1/13
Open House: 1/20 to tour facility

Last edited:
Has anyone else heard from other tracks at MGH? I'm waiting to hear from the child track.
I am waiting to hear from the child track as well, I feel like Monday is going to be a big day for invites if it's consistent with last year

I am waiting to hear from the child track as well, I feel like Monday is going to be a big day for invites if it's consistent with last year
time to start bracing ourselves then:oops::rofl:

I did have several sites email after all interviews to indicate I would be ranked. I believe about 3-4 out of 10 sites did that. There was no indication of where I would be ranked, though.

I also received a couple very enthusiastic responses to my thank you emails that suggested I would be ranked highly, although not explicitly. For example, one site said, “we appreciated your interest and enthusiasm during the interviews. It’s exactly what we hope for!” And the other site said in response to one my emails, “it would be great to have you here next year!” That last one might have been crossing the line though, but I didn’t mind. 😂

I did have several sites email after all interviews to indicate I would be ranked. I believe about 3-4 out of 10 sites did that. There was no indication of where I would be ranked, though.

I also received a couple very enthusiastic responses to my thank you emails that suggested I would be ranked highly, although not explicitly. For example, one site said, “we appreciated your interest and enthusiasm during the interviews. It’s exactly what we hope for!” And the other site said in response to one my emails, “it would be great to have you here next year!” That last one might have been crossing the line though, but I didn’t mind. 😂

I wouldn't read into this much, many sites send out a canned response to all of these in similar way.

I am manifesting this kind of positive energy for my apps.. what great feedback to hear during such an anxiety provoking time :rofl:

I wouldn't read into this much, many sites send out a canned response to all of these in similar way.
Well I did receive a personalized email from the TD after match day saying he was disappointed I didn’t match and hoped to see my application for postdoc the following year.

Lesson for me was that sites really appreciate genuine enthusiasm from applicants. Be an eager beaver! (but not in an annoying, pushy way…lol)

I am manifesting this kind of positive energy for my apps.. what great feedback to hear during such an anxiety provoking time :rofl:
It was the greatest relief. I have pretty debilitating imposter syndrome and fear of evaluation. The waiting for interviews process was extremely distressing for me. I went dark during those couple months, for sure. But I really found the interviews to be an enjoyable. Exhausting, but I felt a lot of hope.

• Care
It was the greatest relief. I have pretty debilitating imposter syndrome and fear of evaluation. The waiting for interviews process was extremely distressing for me. I went dark during those couple months, for sure. But I really found the interviews to be an enjoyable. Exhausting, but I felt a lot of hope.
I feel this on a real level. As a first gen, I always feel like I evaluate myself rather harshly so its been an overwhelming positive experience to even receive interviews. I hope I have a similar experience with interviews as you did!!

• Care
I feel this on a real level. As a first gen, I always feel like I evaluate myself rather harshly so its been an overwhelming positive experience to even receive interviews. I hope I have a similar experience with interviews as you did!!
First generation, non-traditional student here as well. The anxiety is real. Parlay it into your greatest strength. Talk about how it makes you more relatable to many of your patients (depending on your setting, of course), and easier to establish rapport. Bring in that radical genuineness. Discuss your cases in a very human, compassionate way. These are all things that helped me every step of the way (grad school, internship, postdoc, 1st job, etc).

I just started a new job at the VA and am still unable to use the system so I have a good amount of down time right now. Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat more!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
First generation, non-traditional student here as well. The anxiety is real. Parlay it into your greatest strength. Talk about how it makes you more relatable to many of your patients (depending on your setting, of course), and easier to establish rapport. Bring in that radical genuineness. Discuss your cases in a very human, compassionate way. These are all things that helped me every step of the way (grad school, internship, postdoc, 1st job, etc).

I just started a new job at the VA and am still unable to use the system so I have a good amount of down time right now. Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat more!
Oh for sure! I just received my first interviews from a VA and AMC and would love any interview tips you may have for those types of sites if/when you have the time

I just received my first interviews from a VA
VA's generally use performance based interviewing. Some internships hold more rigidly to this and some maybe less so from when I applied to internship and postdoc but generally, all candidates will receive the same individual interview questions (with a rubric) that's focused on describing previous behaviors/actions/approaches to achieving an outcome. So be prepared to share examples, both clinical as well as interpersonal (e.g., describe a conflict and how did you resolve it).

VA.gov | Veterans Affairs

• Care
VA's generally use performance based interviewing. Some internships hold more rigidly to this and some maybe less so from when I applied to internship and postdoc but generally, all candidates will receive the same individual interview questions (with a rubric) that's focused on describing previous behaviors/actions/approaches to achieving an outcome. So be prepared to share examples, both clinical as well as interpersonal (e.g., describe a conflict and how did you resolve it).

Thank you so much! I appreciate the insight into what to expect and prepare for :giggle:

Official Site Name: Central Virginia VA Healthcare System (Richmond VA)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Generalist
Date Invitation Received: 11/18/21 at 12:18 pm Eastern
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Mass Email
Interview Dates Offered: January 5, 7, 10, 12

Yes, absolutely practice these kinds of questions. One site went straight down the list of questions. The others would pick and choose questions from the list. By far, the ones I received the most often were:

1. Describe a case that went well. (Include case conceptualization, treatment goal, plan, progress monitoring, outcome, etc)

2. Describe a case that didn’t go well, how you handled it, and what you learned or would do differently next time.

3. Provide an example of your clinical work with diverse populations (cultural humility is key! It’s okay to admit to making mistakes)

4. Describe a time when you strongly disagreed with a supervisor. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?

5. Tell us about an ethical dilemma you’ve encountered. (What did you learn, what would you do differently)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Official Site Name: UCSD/San Diego VA
Date Invitation Received: 11/18/21
Interview Dates Offered: 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 1/13, 1/14

Official Site Name: Nationwide Children's Hospital
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Autism Treatment Track (ATT)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/7, 12/9, 12/10

Official Site Name: UCSD/San Diego VA
Interview Dates Offered: 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 1/13, 1/14

Could you share which positions/sites you applied for?

Did anyone hear from the Neuro track at Central Virginia VA today or just the other tracks? Thanks!

Official Site Name: Central Virginia VA Healthcare System (Richmond VA)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsych
Date Invitation Received: 11/18/21 at 12:30 pm Eastern
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Mass Email
Interview Dates Offered: January 5, 7, 10, 12

Hey I saw that someone wrote in the google doc that Oregon Health and Science University sent out a mass acceptance email today (congrats!). Was that to all tracks? I applied to the neuro track but didnt hear anything today. Thanks!