2022-2023 Nevada, Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this year's questions, @Evanc17

2022-2023 Nevada, Las Vegas Secondary Essay Prompts (250 word limit each)

1. Describe how your background and future goals will contribute to the mission of the UNLV School of Medicine.
2. Briefly discuss how you envision yourself contributing to the care of our growing and diverse population in the state of Nevada.
3. Provide a BRIEF chronological summary of your time since graduating from high school up to the point of applying to medical school.
4. (OPTIONAL) You are welcome to share with the Admissions Committee any disruptions or impact to your application components, the application process, and/or your personal life due to COVID-19. This field is not required.
5. (OPTIONAL) If you have any other information you believe is important for the Admissions Committee to consider, please include it here. Do not restate information already in your primary AMCAS application.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello Everyone and welcome to the 2022-2023 cycle for the Class of 2027 at the Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV. Our administrative team watches this forum each year periodically and tries to answer questions or clarify information. If anything is urgent, please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected]

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Everyone and welcome to the 2022-2023 cycle for the Class of 2027 at the Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV. Our administrative team watches this forum each year periodically and tries to answer questions or clarify information. If anything is urgent, please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected]
Hello! Have secondaries to applicants with ties to Nevada been sent out yet? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
I received an in-state secondary last Wednesday. The prompts are the same as last year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello! Have secondaries to applicants with ties to Nevada been sent out yet? Thank you.
Hello,

We are consistently sending invitations to secondary for those who are Nevada residents and meet minimum metrics along with those from western region states. If you're not from a western region state and do have a tie, please email us so we can review your tie and your file for metric requirements and then manually get you to secondary if you qualify (it's hard to tell from AMCAS sometimes if someone has a tie). [email protected]

I received an in-state secondary last Wednesday. The prompts are the same as last year!
There is one change that if you are a re-applicant you will need to do the last optional question box to share progress since reapplication. We do advise reapplicants to also freshen up their secondary essays. :)

Any current students on here who could speak on the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invitations have begun but please note they continue typically through late November/early December and our school does rolling admissions. So the timing of your interview is not dire/critical. All interviewed applicants stay active with the committee until we get to our final waitlist ranking and do final rejections (typically April). For more information on our process and the schedule please visit Admission Selection Process and Timeline

How are you all going about the timeline? Is it just asking for the timeline on a larger scale not including anything that we did during our time in college? Or can we include the things that we did during college as well?

Hello,

We are consistently sending invitations to secondary for those who are Nevada residents and meet minimum metrics along with those from western region states. If you're not from a western region state and do have a tie, please email us so we can review your tie and your file for metric requirements and then manually get you to secondary if you qualify (it's hard to tell from AMCAS sometimes if someone has a tie). [email protected]
Now that interview invites are being sent out, is it too late to be receiving a secondary invite? I am from a western region state.

Now that interview invites are being sent out, is it too late to be receiving a secondary invite? I am from a western region state.
No, secondaries continue to go out through mid-October. An applicant does have to be meeting our minimum requirements for Cumulative GPA, BCPM GPA and MCAT to go to secondary. We are finding that applicants with Gmail accounts may have their secondary invitation email filtered to the "promotions" folder (or spam on other accounts) so please also check there. If you think you should have received an invitation to secondary but didn't, please email us [email protected] and we can verify.

How are you all going about the timeline? Is it just asking for the timeline on a larger scale not including anything that we did during our time in college? Or can we include the things that we did during college as well?
For the Secondary essay that asks about timeline, it would be from high school graduation through now, so you can include college activities. Primarily this is an area to show the timespan and explain any gaps if they exist. The experiences portion of AMCAS doesn't always show us the full trajectory from high school through now because it's focused on categories of experience. The secondary portion just lets us see the flow in a more linear fashion. And things can overlap, we understand that (such as being in college and working, etc.)

II tonight around 6pm! Reapplicant, complete 8/22

For those waiting to do your interview week don’t stress. It has been fun and the informational sessions with current medical students and faculty was super helpful in better understanding the program and what it offers for those that didn’t know much (like me).

For those waiting to do your interview week don’t stress. It has been fun and the informational sessions with current medical students and faculty was super helpful in better understanding the program and what it offers for those that didn’t know much (like me).
Was the one-on-one interview pretty chill?

Was the one-on-one interview pretty chill?

I honestly had a great experience with my interviewer! They had a question bank to work from but the questions left room for deep conversations. No stumpers or trick questions. The 30 minutes went by so quickly. So just relax and remember that they are trying to get to know you. I hope everyone had a similar experience and that you will as well!

hi unlv admin any information about the timeline for the sending acceptances? thanks

hi unlv admin any information about the timeline for the sending acceptances? thanks
Hello - so our admissions committee meets monthly and we do monthly calls. AMCAS won't allow schools to offer admissions to regular MD prior to October 15th so our committee meets this week. We have rolling admissions and decisions continue for our cohort seats up until March. We build our waitlist in April and then typically finalize our cohort by early June. For more information on the full timeline and operations, please visit: Admission Selection Process and Timeline

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! I am an OOS applicant and I have been complete since June 27th. I haven’t heard back anything yet, does this mean that I will not be considered for an interview since it is rolling admissions?

Hello! I am an OOS applicant and I have been complete since June 27th. I haven’t heard back anything yet, does this mean that I will not be considered for an interview since it is rolling admissions?
+1

I think they said they won’t start OOS until like November or December but I might be thinking of UNR

I think they said they won’t start OOS until like November or December but I might be thinking of UNR
UNR said that's their plan for OOS, I have not heard anything about UNLV's plans but they might do the same

Anyone else afraid to venture too far away from their phones today?…… I need to go touch some grass…

I just got the acceptance call! Interviewed on 9/16

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Well… I guess we didn’t make the cut lol
I'm sure they're still making calls. I think they have a lot going on with all the moving to the new medical education building

I also found out my number was wrong on the application when another school tried to call me today… fun times.