2023-2024 TouroCOM-CA - Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it a non-binding deposit?
I'm not sure what you mean by non-binding deposit. It is my understanding that in order to reserve my seat, I must pay the $2000 deposit within 2 weeks time. In comparison, I have an acceptance to another DO school that gives you until mid-december to make a deposit of $1000 which actually allows me to have time to consider other options at that time, rather than what seems like nothing short of a cash grab from TUCOM-CA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what you mean by non-binding deposit. It is my understanding that in order to reserve my seat, I must pay the $2000 deposit within 2 weeks time. In comparison, I have an acceptance to another DO school that gives you until mid-december to make a deposit of $1000 which actually allows me to have time to consider other options at that time, rather than what seems like nothing short of a cash grab from TUCOM-CA.
I've heard some schools will partially or fully refund you the deposit if you decide to attend another school. Maybe TUCOM is one of them?

@tucomadcom Application was marked as complete 8/22 and Secondary Completed in Jun. Should I be concerned if I haven't received any update?

IS II received 09/15, complete 08/05.

@tucomadcom Application was marked as complete 8/22 and Secondary Completed in Jun. Should I be concerned if I haven't received any update?
If your secondary has been submitted you are now part of a pool of people who will be considered for an interview. Please note that there is no guarantee you will receive an interview. However we do interview candidates from now until April, so there is still plenty of interview spots left.

Does anyone know if touro CA is pass fail or honors pass fail or graded for pre clinical?
Looking at a lot of information on different websites that seems to contradict one another.
Preclinical is P/F. Core rotations are Honors/P/F.

Members don't see this ad :)
do I need osteopathic experiences to be a successful applicant to this school?
Osteopathic experiences are definitely highly valued but they are not a requirement. Plenty of people are accepted with no direct osteopathic experiences. However, it is advised you do your due diligence and understand what the osteopathic profession is so you fully understand what you are signing up for.

Reactions: 1 users
Osteopathic experiences are definitely highly valued but they are not a requirement. Plenty of people are accepted with no direct osteopathic experiences. However, it is advised you do your due diligence and understand what the osteopathic profession is so you fully understand what you are signing up for.
thank you very much!

Can any current students provide insight on where students generally live and how often you are required to be on campus? Also, if anyone can provide any insight on whether I would be okay with getting an apartment in Berkeley at the UCB campus (40 minute drive) to commute? I really don't like the Vallejo/Mare Island area, and I know it sounds crazy but aesthetics are important for me and my mental health.

Can any current students provide insight on where students generally live and how often you are required to be on campus? Also, if anyone can provide any insight on whether I would be okay with getting an apartment in Berkeley at the UCB campus (40 minute drive) to commute? I really don't like the Vallejo/Mare Island area, and I know it sounds crazy but aesthetics are important for me and my mental health.
Hi! I am a current first year. From my understanding, most students live on Mare Island, but there are plenty of students who live in the surrounding areas, such as Benicia, Fairfield, and American Canyon. There are people who commute from further, but keep in mind the schedule for your first semester will be rough. The times you have to be on campus varies widely since your schedule will differ every week. I think, on average, 3 days a week is probably mandatory. Most of our exams so far have begun at 9 a.m., so I would just make sure to be aware of how general traffic will be and account for the possibility of getting caught by the bridge onto Mare Island being drawn up randomly (it stays up about 10-15 minutes).

Hi! I am a current first year. From my understanding, most students live on Mare Island, but there are plenty of students who live in the surrounding areas, such as Benicia, Fairfield, and American Canyon. There are people who commute from further, but keep in mind the schedule for your first semester will be rough. The times you have to be on campus varies widely since your schedule will differ every week. I think, on average, 3 days a week is probably mandatory. Most of our exams so far have begun at 9 a.m., so I would just make sure to be aware of how general traffic will be and account for the possibility of getting caught by the bridge onto Mare Island being drawn up randomly (it stays up about 10-15 minutes).
I agree with everything said here. There are a few people who commute from farther places like Walnut Creek or Berkeley, but it definitely is a sacrifice in time and energy from driving 1-2 hours per day. It is up to you to decide if that trade-off is worth it.

Keep in mind first semester is especially more in-person since that is when you do all your anatomy labs on top of the normal Doctoring and Osteopathic Manipulation Labs, plus tests and quizzes.

Does anyone know what is the post-interview acceptance rate?

So pissed Im not being considered for admission bc I was only able to secure 1 science prof LOR :'(

Acceptance via email about 10 mins ago

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I had my interview yesterday. I thought the group interview was uncomfortable and awkward. I also thought that they asked difficult questions.

I am a current OMS1 here if anyone has any questions

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone remember if this school is Pass/Fail?
It is, with the caveat for our class that we can't fail more than 3 exams and pass our basic science course, but yes, the transcript will say P at the end of the day.

I agree with everything said here. There are a few people who commute from farther places like Walnut Creek or Berkeley, but it definitely is a sacrifice in time and energy from driving 1-2 hours per day. It is up to you to decide if that trade-off is worth it.

Keep in mind first semester is especially more in-person since that is when you do all your anatomy labs on top of the normal Doctoring and Osteopathic Manipulation Labs, plus tests and quizzes.
I am a commuter, so if anyone here is considering it and you want to discuss the pro/cons, please feel free to reach out. I would absolutely not trade it, and it was the right choice for me, but it is rough at times first semester bc of all the in-person requirements.

Was wondering if any current or former students had any insight on how difficult it is to get residency positions in some of the more competitive specialities like optho and anesthesiology. I see there were matches on the site but was wondering from a firsthand experience how realistic it is to expect. Thanks!

also a current student, lmk if yall have questions

Got the A!!! Interviewed 10/10/23

Reactions: 2 users
So pissed Im not being considered for admission bc I was only able to secure 1 science prof LOR :'(
You can still request a science LOR, add it to your application, and can be considered for admission. We interview until April.

Hi! I was wondering if anyone who has already interviewed could inform me about the layout of interview day?

Was anyone invited to the preview day even before being given an II

Reactions: 5 users